May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is is possible to get a good Dell Desktop for playing Sims?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    hitomieyes wrote: »
    The sims games will never need more than 2gb vram. Most people at this point have 4gb for future proofing. If your only playing the sims and nothing else 2gb vram would be fine. Higher end games some do require more vram

Oh! thanks you so much phoebbebe13!! ♡(*゚O゚*))))
    I am short English ability. Understanding is somewhat insufficient
    If I only play sims 4, Sims 4 does not need more than 2 gb vram?
    Later, is it the same even if more expansion packs come out?

[/quote]

Your welcome

vram is for the video card . You will be fine with 2 gb vram on the video card for the entire game. vram is separate from computer ram. You need 8 gb computer ram for the game
  • Options
    hitomieyeshitomieyes Posts: 108 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    The sims games will never need more than 2gb vram. Most people at this point have 4gb for future proofing. If your only playing the sims and nothing else 2gb vram would be fine. Higher end games some do require more vram

Just to clarify... the 2gb of vram is on a graphic card, not the RAM in a computer. In a computer you still need 8GB to be good. [/quote]

chellejo! I also know.about that (・ω-`○)♪
    Ram has 8 GB.

It is a video card VRAM question
    Even if many sims 4 packs are coming out in the future.

no.1 Buy a card better than 2 gb or no.2 vram 2 G card is enough
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Bird166 wrote: »
    Ok, thank you for all your input, I did not mean to start such a heated thread!! :neutral:

I'm still wondering though...Is there ANY Dell desktop that will run the SIMs? I'm just not sure I have the option to buy a different brand, as much as I would REALLY like to. So no disrespect to you @phoebebebe13 because I highly value your recommendations and your time spent answering here on the forums. In a perfect world I would go with one of the options you gave above, but its not a perfect world ;)

Would this one be OK?

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-8910-desktop/fdcwvmax101b

I do understand. I was trying to give you the best advice possible. A computer is an investment. If you buy a computer that is not designed to do what you want it to do you will have issues in the end. This computer your looking at is below the recommended requirements. The computer's that @luthienrising recommended I don't advise buying. This game is extremely CPU heavy. The higher the cpu the more cpu the game will use. You will get a stock CPU cooler. The case is just as important as the cooling. You need a good CPU cooler. A case that has room for extra fans and airflow. Im worried you will be back in here with heating issues on these types of computers that your looking at. We have already seen many people in here with CPU and heating issues due to the games programing. I was trying to advise you to not buy dell, go with a computer that not only has hardware on the inside that meets requirements but has a good case with good cooling, If you only want to buy a dell computer that is up to you. As long as it is not on me. I would never advise someone to buy something knowing they may have issues with down the line.

Forgot to add The computers luthienrising advised. AMD heats up more than Nvidia. With these computers you will already have a cooling issue with CPU but if you buy AMD you may have more heating issues if you don't have enough cooling inside the case
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • Options
    Bird166Bird166 Posts: 443 Member
    @phoebebebe13 I'm not going to hold you responsible for whatever computer I decide to buy. I was just coming on here to get some advice, which are suggestions. Ultimately its up to me what I decide to spend my money on. I find it very hard to believe that the SIMs is designed to be played ONLY on extreme gaming computers. Like I said in my OP I have played Sims 2, 3 and 4 all on Dell laptops, with no damage done, and I have played 1000's of hours.

I also don't see how the one I linked is considered "under the recommended requirements"?
    i7 (Suggested i5 or above)
    NVIDIA 730 (NVIDIA 650 or better)
    Memory 8GB (suggested 4GB)
    HD 1TB (suggested 15GB)

And as far as cooling this is quoted from the Specifications section of the computer I linked "An optimized airflow path uses side vents to draw cool air across graphics cards and CPU, while a separate airflow path cools the PSU. Rigorous, proprietary testing ensures that all system components are kept cool, even under the most intensive loads."

I appreciate your input, thank you.
  • Options
    WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Im no expert but if you want to play the game with those specs, dont except to play it with ultra settings and not without a lag when you got everything in the game. Besides this isnt a finished game, they will most likely change the requirments and then those specs might be under the minimum requirments. Who knows. I think they are just helping to future proof your computer and make sure you wont get one that youll come back and say "hey, my game doesnt work" and then it either turns out that your specs are below minimum or that youll have issues with components/Cooling etc.

But as you said, in the end it is your decision to make and its your money(: Personally i havent heard that much good things about Dell but Dell in Sweden might just be bad.

Good luck though, hope you find one youll be happy with
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @phoebebebe13 I'm not going to hold you responsible for whatever computer I decide to buy. I was just coming on here to get some advice, which are suggestions. Ultimately its up to me what I decide to spend my money on. I find it very hard to believe that the SIMs is designed to be played ONLY on extreme gaming computers. Like I said in my OP I have played Sims 2, 3 and 4 all on Dell laptops, with no damage done, and I have played 1000's of hours.

I also don't see how the one I linked is considered "under the recommended requirements"?
    i7 (Suggested i5 or above)
    NVIDIA 730 (NVIDIA 650 or better)
    Memory 8GB (suggested 4GB)
    HD 1TB (suggested 15GB)

And as far as cooling this is quoted from the Specifications section of the computer I linked "An optimized airflow path uses side vents to draw cool air across graphics cards and CPU, while a separate airflow path cools the PSU. Rigorous, proprietary testing ensures that all system components are kept cool, even under the most intensive loads."

I appreciate your input, thank you.

Your very welcome.

Ill try to explain this as best I can.

As I mentioned This game is extremely CPU heavy. The higher the CPU the more CPU the game will use. an i7 will use more than an i5. It will also generate more heat. It's the games programing . We have reported the issue and we are hoping EA looks at the issue. It's effecting more and more computers as the game adds more and more. A CPU needs it's own cooler separate from intake and exhaust fans. The more fans and cooling the better. I have 4 fans in my desktop plus a certified CPU cooler. I have a custom desktop with all certified hardware .I also have a gaming laptop that has 3 fans.

user @chesterbigbird is our forum computer build expert. She has custom computer an i7 with a GTX 1080 card. This is as high as you can get on a computer. She has issues with this game.

Certified hardware is much better than buying anything off the shelf. For this you have to go custom. This is also more money. Off the shelf they give you stock and generic hardware. With custom you can pick out a case that has enough room for upgrades. Add fans etc. Cooling as I mentioned before is just as important as the hardware that goes inside the computer.

As for the video card Nvidia makes GT cards and GTX cards. GT cards are not for gaming. They are ddr 3 vram and can not handle games at higher resolutions. You want a vdeo card that is DDR 5 vram for gaming. The video card your looking at is a GT 730 card. It is older hardware. They don't make it any more and is a low end video card not designed to run this game. The game requires a GTX 650 card or better. They dont make the 600 series anymore so you have a find a card that is equal or better. The first number of the card is the series card. The second number is most important. GTX cards with DDR 5 vram start at 50 and go up to 80. The higher the number the better the video card.

as for the rest of the specs you posted 8gb ram is fine and the 1 tb hard drive is fine

Now when you buy a new computer you want to buy a computer with the newest hardware you can afford. Hardware comes out all the time and it gets outdated quickly.

I am worried about the specs your looking at and the cases they come in. When you buy a new computer it will be under warranty and you can't change anything until that warranty is up. The dell computers your looking at do not have good cooling. If you have a computer heating problem it can damage your hardware. If you get stuck with a computer that has heating issues while gaming that is under warranty you will have two options. Continue to game anyway and risk damaging your hardware or not game on the computer, wait until the warranty is up to add better cooling.

Adding: chesterbigbird is having a heat wave and blackouts but I did discuss your computer choices with her and this is what she said

The problem here is going to be issues with the cpu heating up and throttling down. Recently i have responded to many posts with lag and or crashing.. and it has been the cpu heat at fault.
    I7 with stock cooler inside a small case with limited cooling will give you problems with this game. If they had to buy Dell then i would advice them of potential problems with heating. Only way to prevent that is with a aftermarket cooler which will void warranty.
  • Options
    Thanks @phoebebebe13 for all that very helpful information!! Ugh. I feel like I'm just not going to be able to get a computer that will run the Sims for my budget and my restriction of a Dell, non-gaming computer.
    This is so frustrating. After all the money spent on this game only to have to walk away from it. :(
    Time to find a new hobby...
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Thanks @phoebebebe13 for all that very helpful information!! Ugh. I feel like I'm just not going to be able to get a computer that will run the Sims for my budget and my restriction of a Dell, non-gaming computer.
    This is so frustrating. After all the money spent on this game only to have to walk away from it. :(
    Time to find a new hobby...

Your very welcome. If you don't mind me asking why are your restricted to a dell computer? And do you have to buy directly from dell only?

@Bird166. I just went on the dell web. They have seriously jacked up their prices on laptops. Over all desktop is better however if you can only buy dell and you can buy somewhere else other than the dell web I am going to recommend you a laptop off of amazon. It's much cheaper than buying same specs off the dell web. This does meet requirements. Will run the game. It has two hard drives . You will have to install the games on the second hard drive which is not hard to do. We have people playing the game with these specs on laptop which seem to have less issues running the game. Laptops are designed to take more heat.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-2512BLK-Generation-GeForce/dp/B015PYZ0J6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1486739494&sr=1-1&keywords=Dell+Inspiron+i7559-2512BLK+15.6+Inch+FHD+Laptop+(6th+Generation+Intel+Core+i7,+8+GB+RAM,+1+TB+HDD+++8+GB+SSD)+NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+960M

I will also advise that you invest in a laptop cooler while gaming on this laptop for extra cooling https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-X3-Cooling/dp/B0079T2KHG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1486739776&sr=1-1&keywords=cooler+master+laptop+cooler
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,822 Member
    I know there are much better gaming computers out there but I will most likely have to get a Dell for reasons out of my control. So...any suggestions on the best one to run Sims? I have run Sims2, Sims3 and Sims4 all on my Dell Laptops over the years with little issue. And obviously just going to a desktop will probably be a huge difference for me so I welcome any advice anyone may have for me.

I had a Dell for a long time. Got it brand new summer of 2005, when I first began playing Sims2. Needless to say, since we don't change out our electronics on a whim (refusing to chase after the 'shiny') I ended up having to change out the video card after Pets, but continued to play well into Sims3, before the good old computer gave up the ghost. I didn't get this computer until the summer of 2015.

All my hubby did, when he ordered the Dell was to have them build it so that I could play the Sims2 on it. In effect, it was a 'gaming' computer. I did all kinds of other things on it, as well, since it was our only computer at the time — beyond my older Gateway laptop, that is.

So, in answer to your question, just have the PTB make sure Dell knows that you're going to be playing games on it, and hope for the best. I love Dell. Like I said, I had a great run with that computer. Hope this helps.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Thanks for your info @GalacticGal. And thanks @phoebebebe13 for your suggestions on Amazon. My head is kind of spinning with all the info I have now so I think I'll just step away for a day or so and rethink my options.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    @GalacticGal @Bird166 Ten years ago they did not have the hardware they do now. There were far less choices and computers were made better. I have a 2005 HP that I used for the sims 2 and it still runs. My windows 98 computer was a compaq and it lasted a long time. These were not gaming computers. Now a days companies that make computers for every day are trying to get in the gaming market. Even if they stuff gaming hardware in a small case where your computer has the potential to heat up while gaming. Companies like Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. A lot of them will advertise gaming computers when they are really not gaming computers. If someone can not read computer hardware you could easily waste your money on a plum computer. My son's friend bought a lenovo desktop on sale for $500. Lenovo claimed it was originally $1000. My son's friend thought he got a bargain. The computer he bought is so plum it crashes constantly and can't play the games he wants. The computer also has heat issues. He refused to return it and get something else because Lenovo was going to charge him a 15 % restocking fee. There is so much more hardware to choose from and a lot of it is junk. You have to be careful. These are not the more solid computers they made 10 years ago. There are companies that make computers specific for gaming. These are the computers I advise buying.
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    Also, keep in mind the disposability of computers now days. The average person who buys a computer for $400 isn't going to want to spend half of that on getting just one component fixed, if say, the processor goes bad. You buy an entire new computer for a little bit more and come out way ahead than paying for repairs. If someone spends $1500 on a computer, they expect that it's not going to break. They're simply designed better because they come with much higher expectations by the consumer. If a "premium" company fails to deliver, they're not going to be selling many computers. What equals repeat business for a budget company would put a premium/high performance company out of business. ;)
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,122 Member
    @Bird166, For the last two and a half years I've been playing Sims 2, 3, and 4 on a Dell Alienware that is about 5 years old. Handed down from my son who had no problems playing system and graphic intensive games. It has an Intel i7-3770 CPU, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX660. My FPS is around 56.

I have had no problems, no overheating, no crashes which is why tomorrow my brand new Alienware Aurora will be delivered. Intel CPU, 16GB RAM, Nvidia 8GB GTX1070. Can't wait! Good luck with whatever you choose. :)
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »

Just to clarify... the 2gb of vram is on a graphic card, not the RAM in a computer. In a computer you still need 8GB to be good.

chellejo! I also know.about that (・ω-`○)♪
    Ram has 8 GB.

It is a video card VRAM question
    Even if many sims 4 packs are coming out in the future.

no.1 Buy a card better than 2 gb or no.2 vram 2 G card is enough[/quote]

2GB vRAM is more than enough. Plenty even! A 1GB card will do even. Just make sure it's a dedicated card and at least mid-range. For minimum (you should go off reccomended if possible) it says 128MB so at least 500MB should be comfortable. 1GB = 1028MB so you'll be fine.

(btw, your kaomoji/emoji are really awesome ^_^)
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!