Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 is the best selling PC game of 2015!

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Interestingly enough, Steam has the record for more players online at the same time which PSN and Xbox could only achieve if their numbers were smashed together.
    About that, seems like the Sims 4 is facing some bug issues before it is ported to PS4 and Xbox One. http://www.newseveryday.com/articles/41494/20160511/sims-4-release-date-ps4-xbox-one-ea-pushing-game.htm

I don't think any of that is even slightly true. Especially not after "In a recent report it was revealed that the latest DLC for "The Sims 4," Restaurant Game Pack, has been released for PC several weeks ago and PC gamers have already sampled the latest DLC.".
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    @mortia wrote: »
    1 Euro =
    1.1308 U.S. dollars

I know what the Euro is, but WHERE in Euro is what matters. Parts of Europe have a much stronger dollar than others.

I...can't even...

What? I mean for example, in Ireland, The Sims 3 Starter Pack retails for around 20 Euro in-store. In Greece, it's 40 Euro in-store.
    I don't even live in Europe to know parts of Euorpe charge more than others depending on how strong the economy is.
    @kovu0207 wrote: »
    Anyway, you're all just trying to deflect the attention, because of the fact the Sims 4 has done what The Sims 3 didn't. None of this actually matters to The Sims 4 and it's success.

Sims 3 topped all sorts of charts during its release, so what is it exactly that sims 4 has done that sims 3 failed to do?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/117865/EA_The_Sims_3_TopSelling_PC_Game_Worldwide_In_2009.php

During the beginning of it's release. What did the Sims 3 do after 2009? Even EA said The Sims 3 sold 3 million in 3 month, yet after 5 years sold 10 million on all platforms, meaning the Sims 3 on PC fizzled out quickly.
    @Rflong7 wrote: »
    What didn't TS3 do? O.o

Have longevity.

I know what the Euro is, but WHERE in Euro is what matters. Parts of Europe have a much stronger dollar than others.

Can you explain this?

Where abouts in Europe has no bearing on the Euro itself. It's not like there's a Finish Euro and a Spanish Euro, if something is 40 Euros then it's 40 Euros everywhere.

It's not though, because of the strength of the Economy. There's no Finish Euro, or Spanish Euro, but depending on the economy per country, parts of Europe have a stronger Dollar (I should probably say Euro) than others meaning, depending on where you go in Europe, you pay more or less for things.

In Ireland, The Sims 3 Starter Pack retails for 20 Euro. The same game retails for 40 Euro in Greece.

Ireland is in the UK though. And the difference between prices is due to the value-added tax, it's not due to how strong or weak a coin is. And I'm not in Greece.

Ireland is in the UK, but used Euro. I'm not saying about how strong or weak a coin is in literal terms, I'm using as a figure of speech. For example, in Australia, we all use AUD, yet in parts of Australia, the dollar is worth more depending on where you live.
    For Elec and Gas, in Victoria, people can get up to 30% off. While in New South Wales, only 18% off. The difference comes through Tax (obviously) as well as how rich a part of the country is, but also how the economy is.

There's no difference in actual conversion of AUD, but depending on where you go, you'll pay more or less for the same thing. That's a standard, especially in Europe. And right now, parts of Europe are much poorer than others, which is why the same product is being sold for different prices.

I will argue though, EA are ripping off Europe, by just throwing out a price for the whole of Europe, when they should adjust it based on what it's worth in Retail. The fact it's 40 Euro on Orgin in Ireland, but 20 in store is lazy on EA's behalf.

The price for online games is the same everywhere but discussing how cheap or expensive it is for a person is relative. Never the less they never lowered the price of TS3 here. The Starter Pack with one EP and a SP is 40 euros plus 40 euros for each separate EP. Another example I always like to give when discussing this is the fact that games on the PSN are 10 euros cheaper here than if you buy them physically, just to give you some perspective.

Yet, the Sims 3 games physically are MUCH cheaper than what EA are charging, which probably means they throw a base figure out for the entirety of Europe.
    However, The Sims 3 physically, is more accurate to how the price works. EA are just being lazy. Like the time they wanted Australia and New Zealand to pay the same for Outdoor Retreat, which meant $40 AUD (Get To Work was $50). Yeah no.
    They fixed it, and made it $30. But Origin are literally terrible when it comes to setting prices.

You can buy the Sims 3 cheap in Europe by going to an actual store, although I noticed Greece also charge 40 Euro in-store.
    But Ireland, Germany etc seem to show 19 - 29 Euro.
    Sims%203_zpscfeqawdf.png

That's Seasons in a well known German retail with shops in my country as well; this is their offer in Holland.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2016
    mirta000 wrote: »

if the game has no retention, it doesn't have 2/3 sales on the 2nd year. Mass Effect 3 was a good example of a flop. It did colossally bad at sales, because people returned it like crazy. The fact the the numbers are high and are staying high on the second year is a good sign. Not to mention The Sims 4 expansion also hit a top sellers list, meaning those that buy the game do buy add ons.
    I don't know, the SimCity 2013 sold 2 million copies before it shut down. Sadly it was the biggest embarrassment ever to hit Maxis. I'm just happy the Sims 4 passed that milestone.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

Interestingly enough, Steam has the record for more players online at the same time which PSN and Xbox could only achieve if their numbers were smashed together.
    About that, seems like the Sims 4 is facing some bug issues before it is ported to PS4 and Xbox One. http://www.newseveryday.com/articles/41494/20160511/sims-4-release-date-ps4-xbox-one-ea-pushing-game.htm

I don't think any of that is even slightly true. Especially not after "In a recent report it was revealed that the latest DLC for "The Sims 4," Restaurant Game Pack, has been released for PC several weeks ago and PC gamers have already sampled the latest DLC.".
    True, I found that fishy too. I do wonder how sales could change if the Sims 4 moves onto other platforms too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    1 Euro =
    1.1308 U.S. dollars

I...can't even...

What? I mean for example, in Ireland, The Sims 3 Starter Pack retails for around 20 Euro in-store. In Greece, it's 40 Euro in-store.
    I don't even live in Europe to know parts of Euorpe charge more than others depending on how strong the economy is.
    Anyway, you're all just trying to deflect the attention, because of the fact the Sims 4 has done what The Sims 3 didn't. None of this actually matters to The Sims 4 and it's success.

Sims 3 topped all sorts of charts during its release, so what is it exactly that sims 4 has done that sims 3 failed to do?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/117865/EA_The_Sims_3_TopSelling_PC_Game_Worldwide_In_2009.php

During the beginning of it's release. What did the Sims 3 do after 2009? Even EA said The Sims 3 sold 3 million in 3 month, yet after 5 years sold 10 million on all platforms, meaning the Sims 3 on PC fizzled out quickly.
    What didn't TS3 do? O.o

Have longevity.

Can you explain this?

Where abouts in Europe has no bearing on the Euro itself. It's not like there's a Finish Euro and a Spanish Euro, if something is 40 Euros then it's 40 Euros everywhere.

It's not though, because of the strength of the Economy. There's no Finish Euro, or Spanish Euro, but depending on the economy per country, parts of Europe have a stronger Dollar (I should probably say Euro) than others meaning, depending on where you go in Europe, you pay more or less for things.

In Ireland, The Sims 3 Starter Pack retails for 20 Euro. The same game retails for 40 Euro in Greece.

Ireland is in the UK though. And the difference between prices is due to the value-added tax, it's not due to how strong or weak a coin is. And I'm not in Greece.

Ireland is in the UK, but used Euro. I'm not saying about how strong or weak a coin is in literal terms, I'm using as a figure of speech. For example, in Australia, we all use AUD, yet in parts of Australia, the dollar is worth more depending on where you live.
    For Elec and Gas, in Victoria, people can get up to 30% off. While in New South Wales, only 18% off. The difference comes through Tax (obviously) as well as how rich a part of the country is, but also how the economy is.

There's no difference in actual conversion of AUD, but depending on where you go, you'll pay more or less for the same thing. That's a standard, especially in Europe. And right now, parts of Europe are much poorer than others, which is why the same product is being sold for different prices.

I will argue though, EA are ripping off Europe, by just throwing out a price for the whole of Europe, when they should adjust it based on what it's worth in Retail. The fact it's 40 Euro on Orgin in Ireland, but 20 in store is lazy on EA's behalf.

The price for online games is the same everywhere but discussing how cheap or expensive it is for a person is relative. Never the less they never lowered the price of TS3 here. The Starter Pack with one EP and a SP is 40 euros plus 40 euros for each separate EP. Another example I always like to give when discussing this is the fact that games on the PSN are 10 euros cheaper here than if you buy them physically, just to give you some perspective.

Yet, the Sims 3 games physically are MUCH cheaper than what EA are charging, which probably means they throw a base figure out for the entirety of Europe.
    However, The Sims 3 physically, is more accurate to how the price works. EA are just being lazy. Like the time they wanted Australia and New Zealand to pay the same for Outdoor Retreat, which meant $40 AUD (Get To Work was $50). Yeah no.
    They fixed it, and made it $30. But Origin are literally terrible when it comes to setting prices.

You can buy the Sims 3 cheap in Europe by going to an actual store, although I noticed Greece also charge 40 Euro in-store.
    Sims%203_zpscfeqawdf.png

That's Seasons in a well known German retail with shops in my country as well; this is their offer in Holland.

That isn't just a German retail Media Markt is like the European Best Buy it's spread across most Europe.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Yep, the 2.8 hard copy figure. That is all we can assume. We have no idea what the digital sales are unless EA decides to share the financial information with the public.

further is pure speculation, true, but at least it's impossible to speculate a number lower than this.

Sales figures only tell half the story in itself.

How many customers were retained to buy further content for the game. Do they all buy all further content, none or somewhere in between? Are they all entirely happy/sad/indifferent about the game's direction?
    Do they all buy at premium price at first release or do they wait and buy on sale?
    Do they intend to invest further in the game with conditions or will they invest whatever is coming in the future?

Figures are only the start of a very complex and interesting story.

@luthienrising I don't know or care exactly how TS4 is doing. I only play TS3 or TS2 because that's my only option to play as I want right now. If I wasn't ready to embrace the next generation game I wouldn't have bought it. It's not my fault the tools just aren't there yet.

Sometimes I think people (in general, not you!) think too deeply about why other people still play the older games without asking them why and assume a lot which may not be the case-trying to use it as some sort of stick to hit them with. Like the constant referral to 'TS3 players'. I'm a sims player. I've played 1, 2, 3, 4 and a bunch of console games. Why am I referred to as a 'TS3 player'?! I've no idea.

if the game has no retention, it doesn't have 2/3 sales on the 2nd year. Mass Effect 3 was a good example of a flop. It did colossally bad at sales, because people returned it like crazy. The fact the the numbers are high and are staying high on the second year is a good sign. Not to mention The Sims 4 expansion also hit a top sellers list, meaning those that buy the game do buy add ons.

Please point out when I said it had no retention. Oh right I didn't. Please don't put words into my mouth. Thank you!
  • Options
    I'll quote myself from a different topic:

I have a feeling that EA could come out and give people a financial report that says "The Sims 4 sold 10 million and this is how much profit it brought" and the forums would still be like "yeah, right. Pff. You're lying!".

it's like you people can not believe that there are people that genuinely like and are playing The sims 4. Even though sim gurus have repeatedly said that The Sims 4 is growing in audience and is bringing serious profit. I've seen people even say "they're lying to their workers and shareholders". Like really? Can you just not admit that the game is doing just fine?
    Based on personal observations among simmers I know, that would in fact surprise me. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would genuinely surprise me.
    1 Euro =
    1.1308 U.S. dollars

I...can't even...

What didn't TS3 do? O.o

Have longevity.

Can you explain this?

Sims%203_zpscfeqawdf.png

That isn't just a German retail Media Markt is like the European Best Buy it's spread across most Europe.
    To be honest I almost wrote 'a Dutch retail' when I noticed in the right upper corner of my screen it's actually German :DBut you're right.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    People demand sales and figures and when they get some they still try to put it down.

Like it's okay to hate the game but that doesn't change the fact it's doing very well.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

I have a feeling that EA could come out and give people a financial report that says "The Sims 4 sold 10 million and this is how much profit it brought" and the forums would still be like "yeah, right. Pff. You're lying!".

it's like you people can not believe that there are people that genuinely like and are playing The sims 4. Even though sim gurus have repeatedly said that The Sims 4 is growing in audience and is bringing serious profit. I've seen people even say "they're lying to their workers and shareholders". Like really? Can you just not admit that the game is doing just fine?
    Based on personal observations among simmers I know, that would in fact surprise me. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would genuinely surprise me.
    1 Euro =
    1.1308 U.S. dollars

I...can't even...

What didn't TS3 do? O.o

Have longevity.

Can you explain this?

Sims%203_zpscfeqawdf.png

To be honest I almost wrote 'a Dutch retail' when I noticed in the right upper corner of my screen it's actually German :DBut you're right.

these forums paint a far FAR more negative picture than it really is. This is the place where people come to complain. Other simming communities that I'm in just seem happy.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2016
    @mirta000 wrote: »

these forums paint a far FAR more negative picture than it really is. This is the place where people come to complain. Other simming communities that I'm in just seem happy.

Which other sites, if you don't mind my asking?
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    I don't really see how this is much of an accomplishment. I mean what PC games are their competition seriously?
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »

well for one thing The Sims Community on Facebook?

we have 37 000 people that posted a single comment here. Out of over 2.8 million that bought the game. Every measurement is showing that the game is doing well.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

1 Euro =
    1.1308 U.S. dollars

I...can't even...

What didn't TS3 do? O.o

Have longevity.

Can you explain this?

Sims%203_zpscfeqawdf.png

But I'm not basing it on my experiences here. In fact this is the only place where I see an actual active and defending fanbase for the game. It's other forums, where there is no negativity nor positivity, where I see very few people playing the game at the moment, hardly responding when news is shared, not buying and - like here - sometimes returning to Sims 3 or not playing at all. Which may be temporarily but that is the situation now. I'm not saying this observation of mine is accurate by the way and I may be completely wrong (maybe it's not the game that is unpopular but forums). I just find myself being surprised when I see Sims 4 at the top of a sales list like here. And then I see Sims 3 very high on the same list (which is odd of course), and SimCity and... well, I just don't buy it just like that. Not out of negativity, there is really nothing appealing for me in Sims 4 being a failure in sales* Even when apparently Sims money doesn't automatically go to Sims....

* ok, that was a lie
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

1 Euro =
    1.1308 U.S. dollars

I...can't even...

What didn't TS3 do? O.o

Have longevity.

Can you explain this?

Sims%203_zpscfeqawdf.png

But I'm not basing it on my experiences here. In fact this is the only place where I see an actual active and defending fanbase for the game. It's other forums, where there is no negativity nor positivity, where I see very few people playing the game at the moment, hardly responding when news is shared, not buying and - like here - sometimes returning to Sims 3 or not playing at all. Which may be temporarily but that is the situation now. I'm not saying this observation of mine is accurate by the way and I may be completely wrong (maybe it's not the game that is unpopular but forums). I just find myself being surprised when I see Sims 4 at the top of a sales list like here. And then I see Sims 3 very high on the same list (which is odd of course), and SimCity and... well, I just don't buy it just like that. Not out of negativity, there is really nothing appealing for me in Sims 4 being a failure in sales. Even when apparently Sims money doesn't automatically go to Sims....

I'm seeing 20K+ people online in gallery. I really don't see the lack of activity surrounding The Sims 4 honestly.
  • Options
    I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    edited May 2016
    This is only by hard-copies sold, not digital sales. I'm sure this has been mentioned throughout the thread but it needs repeated. Few PC gamers purchase hard-copies of games anymore so this is a very slanted and poor study.
    soul-glo.gif
    Let your soul shine through.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Rflong7 wrote: »

well for one thing The Sims Community on Facebook?

we have 37 000 people that posted a single comment here. Out of over 2.8 million that bought the game. Every measurement is showing that the game is doing well.
    I don't know, I've read plenty on Facebook and Twitter than have complained too and some quite scary comments. I wasn't even on forums when the Sims 4 was first released and knew that the majority of people were unhappy with the Sims 4 at the time. Why the 2/3rds growth is a good thing because the Sims 4 initial release was a completely different story. At least forums have stricter rules than what social media allows. People have the freedom to pretty much state anything on those sites. Those sites are quite famous for cyber bullying. There are even movies about them. I guess I'm tired of forums being the scapegoat of customer dissatisfaction. There are plenty of unhappy customers on other sites too including Reddit just like there are plenty of happy customers. If I had to guess, the community is split in half of who like vs. who doesn't like the game and a few in between. I did plenty of personal research before deciding to buy the Sims 4 and believe me, I came across many negative reviews of the game. I read positive reviews as well. I call the Sims 4 my death game because before going into surgery, I figure might as well try the newest iteration before going under the knife. I have no regrets of buying it. In the end it doesn't matter. Only thing that matters is making the game fun and playable for as many Simmers as possible.
    Post edited by Scobre on
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I was just checking Amazon.co.uk and though Sims 4 (standard) has a 4 out of five points users' rating, the later packs are 4.6 GTW and 4.7 for Get Together so are getting growing approval. (Outdoor Retreat) got 5 out of 5.

Amazon uk seem to have a lot of Sims3 packs still left (except basic pack) and, probably because it is a slow but sure seller they haven't discounted them. Still making a small profit and got space to store them.
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    I was just checking Amazon.co.uk and though Sims 4 (standard) has a 4 out of five points users' rating, the later packs are 4.6 GTW and 4.7 for Get Together so are getting growing approval. (Outdoor Retreat) got 5 out of 5.

Amazon uk seem to have a lot of Sims3 packs still left (except basic pack) and, probably because it is a slow but sure seller they haven't discounted them. Still making a small profit and got space to store them.

Amazon have the sims 3 basic pack

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-PCOESIELE11002-The-Sims/dp/B00AHRD69S/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1463253210&sr=1-1&keywords=sims+3

It's £29.90

Which makes me giggle as it's only 10p cheaper than sims 4 which is £30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sims-4-Standard-Edition/dp/B00KHJLXN2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1463253287&sr=1-1&keywords=sims+4
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited May 2016
    kovu0207 wrote: »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-PCOESIELE11002-The-Sims/dp/B00AHRD69S/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1463253210&sr=1-1&keywords=sims+3

It's £29.90

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sims-4-Standard-Edition/dp/B00KHJLXN2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1463253287&sr=1-1&keywords=sims+4

Only 1 left though!

Those secondhand packs are to be avoided as well!

The Sims4 packs aren't the full game though. They give access to the download and redeem code don't they?
  • Options
    kovu0207 wrote: »

It's £29.90

Only 1 left though!

Where does it say one left?
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    Schantal wrote: »
    You do realize that in gaming that number is ridiculously low right? I think some people who play sims are in a sheltered bubble and don't understand that most other games out there sell MILLIONS of dollars and have millions of players across the globe. 20,000 is actually REALLY low, ridiculously low actually.

for a single player game that DOESN'T have to be played online? Daily? Plenty high.
  • Options
    jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    @Ravager619
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    That was a very interesting read. My age group only makes up 18% of all gamers, and I've always wondered if it's because when you hit 36 or so society has told us in the past "You're too old to play games!"?

But did you notice it then goes back up for the next age bracket,
  • Options

Only 1 left though!

The Sims4 packs aren't the full game though. They give access to the download and redeem code don't they?

No they're the disk versions.

Product Description

Electronic Arts

Note:The disk in the box will not work with a MAC computer, as it's a PC only disk
    Box Contains

Disc; manual
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    1 Euro =
    1.1308 U.S. dollars

I...can't even...

What didn't TS3 do? O.o

Have longevity.

Can you explain this?

Just an off topic discussion, I want to point out Ireland is NOT in UK lol, Northern Ireland is part of UK but NOT Ireland haha. Take this from person who lives in Ireland

THANK YOU! That was, like, seriously bugging me lol

--T
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top