Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To go from Sims 4 to Sims 3, or no?

Hi all! When I was a young sprout I played the original sims with my brothers all the time. It was one of the highlights of my childhood and unfortunately was cut short by loosing the game disk. Now, almost 15 years later when I got my very own laptop I purchased The Sims 4. I've been enjoying it thoroughly and have both Sims 4 expansion packs but have recently found a lack of interest in my game (whether it's from the lack of recent expansion packs or just an overall boredom with the same old content). I recently started watching a Sims 3 Let's Play on YouTube and saw how much content and diversity there was in the Sims 3 and thought of purchasing it. I realize that the Let's Play that I was watching has a lot of expansion packs installed, exactly how much is expansion packs I'm not sure though. I've heard a lot of smack talk as well that Sims 4 is nothing of what Sims 3 was.

I was wondering if the Sims 3 base game has enough entertainment and content that I could just buy that and have the same, if not more enjoyment from the Sims 4 with two expansion packs? If not, could I buy an expansion pack or two to get to that level? Or, should I just wait until the next Sims 4 expansion pack is released and forget about the Sims 3?

Comments

• Options
    BeaEllaBeaElla Posts: 366 Member
    Hmm, it's difficult to say because when I play TS3, I have all expansion packs except Pets installed so I couldn't imagine it without.
    I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in TS3? For me, Late Night and Generations were the greatest EPs, and I couldn't go back to playing without those. Late Night added so much for the YA stage and going out, while Generations did wonders for family play.

My chaotic simblr
  • Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    I think, and this is only from playing the demo of Sims 4 and constantly playing Sims 3, that any game gets boring after awhile if you don't find new ways to play it, new things to add to it, etc. Right now, I'm trying out custom worlds in Sims 3 and it's like a brand new game. I also just did a fresh install of the game so I added some things and took some things out that I never use, etc.

But anyway, to answer your question, it actually took me awhile to get bored with Sims 3 base game (and I'm still not really all that bored with all of it obviously, lol) and I didn't even last 5 hours on the 48 hour demo of Sims 4.
  • Options
    Sims_for_lifeSims_for_life Posts: 195 Member
    Hello :)
    I would say why not try the sims 3! I went from sims 4 to sims 2 and enjoyed it, but on a sidenote, I did have the sims 2 for free (origin promotion) If I were you, I would buy the Sims 3 starter pack, for in the UK £30. It will give you a taste of the sims 3, and if you feel that you like it, you could buy some more EP's. Just an idea :D
    I am the champion, my friend
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I'm actually playing a LEPacy with only the base game of sims 3 and I'm still not bored yet. With Sims 4, I'd start growing bored after about 20 minutes.

Naturally, I'd say go with Sims 3 and buy a couple EP's, (depending on your computer) I'd go with Seasons, University, Generations, or Pets. But, honestly, IMO, you can't go wrong with any Sims 3 EP. They all are great and add fun things to do. There isn't one EP that I don't like.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member

I was wondering if the Sims 3 base game has enough entertainment and content that I could just buy that and have the same, if not more enjoyment from the Sims 4 with two expansion packs? If not, could I buy an expansion pack or two to get to that level? Or, should I just wait until the next Sims 4 expansion pack is released and forget about the Sims 3?

In my opinion, it does. When my computer was away being repaired, I played the Sims 3 on my laptop, which doesn't have room for my EP's, so it was only the base game, plus my store content and SP's. I enjoyed my game just as much as always, and the only EP I really missed was Generations, because of all the interactions that I was so used to using constantly, plus the afterschool clubs, prom, and boarding schools. It's all in how you play.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    BeaElla wrote: »
    Hmm, it's difficult to say because when I play TS3, I have all expansion packs except Pets installed so I couldn't imagine it without.
    I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in TS3? For me, Late Night and Generations were the greatest EPs, and I couldn't go back to playing without those. Late Night added so much for the YA stage and going out, while Generations did wonders for family play.

Late Night, Generations and Seasons are the must haves for me. Pets comes in fourth. But you should definitely try TS3. TS4 with both EP's is pretty much the same as having just the base game to be honest. There is no must have feature or content in either the EP's. At least it's my opinion. If you go with TS4, know that you are much better served with the two GP's rather than a single EP.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    Honestly, if you love the Sims, go for it. Sims 3 is an awesome experience, and I liked MOST of its expansions. I'd just recommend staying away from World Adventures and Showtime, if you plan on getting expansions.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • Options
    FluffusCanarusFluffusCanarus Posts: 103 Member
    You should definitely try playing the Sims 3. I personally can't play without Generations, Late Night, and Seasons. I just feel like those 3 make the game.

[quote="SimFan298;14765873"]Honestly, if you love the Sims, go for it. Sims 3 is an awesome experience, and I liked MOST of its expansions. I'd just recommend staying away from World Adventures and Showtime, if you plan on getting expansions.[/quote]

Any reason why you wouldn't recommend World Adventures? I was actually thinking of adding World Adventures to my Sims 3 collection, but if it's anything like Island Paradise, then I'll hold off
    In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.- Coco Chanel
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2016
    I have no idea what Sims 3 basegame costs nowadays, but maybe you just ought to try it if you're curious. And explore the basegame for a bit first, see what it's like. As for EP's, that depends on your personal preference I think. I for instance love World Adventures where SimFan298 advices you to stay away from it (it's an EP that enables you to travel to other countries and explore tombs, do martial arts and make your own nectar (wine)). Supernatural is another one I couldn't do without, but when you're not into supernaturals that would be a bad choice. I think the EP's that are considered basic must haves are Seasons (because of the weather; no more eternal sunshine), Pets (but you've got to have a good computer for that one) and Generations (great for family play).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I'd see about getting a Sims 3 bundle. Origin has a Sims 3 bundle that is Base Game, Late Night and High End Loft stuff for 19.99. Steam has Sims 3 and Pets, I believe for 29.99.

Just remember, you can't mix and match Steam and Origin. So you can't buy base game on Origin and then later buy EP's or SP's on steam and visa versa.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    WA is not like IP... IP is actually a great EP - it's just that the world that came with it has some annoying routing errors. There are ways to fix it, though - or... tutorials on creating your own diving spots so you can build them in another world. Love the houseboats and the build/buy assets that come with it.

WA didn't go over well with some people as it has quest-driven play - many didn't care for that. I don't do the tombs anymore really - I use the locations for vacations and honeymoons. I would say it is going to depend on your play style - check out some Let's Plays with it. I love WA and use the locations often, as well as the martial arts and nectar making so you're going to have to make a decision with that one.

I would suggest trying out the base game by itself before you really invest money into the series. You might also come upon a sale with the starter pack. Good luck!!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    You should definitely try playing the Sims 3. I personally can't play without Generations, Late Night, and Seasons. I just feel like those 3 make the game.
    SimFan298 wrote: »
    Honestly, if you love the Sims, go for it. Sims 3 is an awesome experience, and I liked MOST of its expansions. I'd just recommend staying away from World Adventures and Showtime, if you plan on getting expansions.

Any reason why you wouldn't recommend World Adventures? I was actually thinking of adding World Adventures to my Sims 3 collection, but if it's anything like Island Paradise, then I'll hold off
    It's nothing like IP, like Surreal says, it's quest driven. But in a rather free, not lineair way, it's a lot of puzzling and exploring (and collecting), which is why I love it. As a break away every now and then from the sandbox the rest of the game is. And you don't have to do the tombs, the EP comes with three beautiful, huge worlds filled with citizens to meet. And then there's the martial arts and the nectar making.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    It's worth a shot. Even just to try it. Remember you can always play both. I find S3 is the more serious relative of the franchise. Life is a bit different and some things take some getting used to. That's normal for each iteration though. I was playing just the base game for a while, but I started to find I was really missing the martial arts and nectar-making from WA, so I installed that EP the other day.

I'm actually finding the game a lot more relaxing and less frustrating than I found S4, but everyone's mileage will differ. I also feel like it has a lot more depth than S4 with all its packs. I'm not crazy about the hair though, but I don't really play the game for aesthetics. I play it for gameplay, and that's just something S4 doesn't have (for me).

All in all, It can't hurt to try it out. You can always buy the next EP for 4 as well. There's no rule that says you have to only play and enjoy one of them.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,398 Member
    SimFan298 wrote: »

I think this thread will explain why this person wouldn't recommend World Adventures. To me, it just all depends on how you want to play this EP. Sometimes I will send my Sims to do the quests for the adventure and sometimes I will just send them there for either their honeymoon or for just a vacation. I myself really like this EP as there are things that you can use in your Sims everyday lives and the nectar making, marital arts and photography skills.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/884572/no-vacation-pack-was-made/p1

Here is a link that will explain some of the things in the WA EP.
    http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/worldadventures/
  • Options
    Oh, hey... they have that access thing on Origin that Sims 3 is on. You could pay the 4.99 and try it out to see if it's something you'd want to invest in. 4.99 for a month of game play, and then you could cancel the membership closer to the end of your month and make the choice if it's worth it to you to buy it or stick with Sims 4.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    You can get ...

Sims 3, Late Night and High End Loft bundle ... $19.96
    World Adventures and Generations bundle ... $17.39
    Hidden Springs and Monte Vista bundle ... $14.21

That's ... 4 Worlds (if they still throw in Riverwood) ... 3 Foreign Destinations ... 3 Expansion Packs ... And a Stuff Pack for ... $51.56

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    I say go for it. I found the base game very entertaining for a long time, and didn't even buy the first couple of expansion packs. I bought most of the rest of the EPs but no longer have them all installed. Ones I can do without are University Life (very pretty campus neighborhood but I got really bored with the classes after a while) and Late Night. Several are only so-so: I got Into the Future solely for the 'bots (and because it was on sale), and Island Paradise is OK. Ones I love are Seasons, Generations, Pets, and Supernatural, because they really suit my play style.

I'd say try the base game and get some really useful mods from Nraas, plus there is TONS of free custom content on the web. Have fun!
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    I think this thread will explain why this person wouldn't recommend World Adventures. To me, it just all depends on how you want to play this EP. Sometimes I will send my Sims to do the quests for the adventure and sometimes I will just send them there for either their honeymoon or for just a vacation. I myself really like this EP as there are things that you can use in your Sims everyday lives and the nectar making, marital arts and photography skills.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/884572/no-vacation-pack-was-made/p1

Well I'm certainly glad I missed *that* thread. lol With all the options to go into the worlds and edit them and place lots and make it exactly how you want it to be... I just don't get it - but to each their own, I suppose. And I thought *my* play style was boring. smh

Back on topic: This is only my opinion so... for what it is worth, I will say this: Sims 3 is not a game you want to play if you need/want the game to tell you which direction to go in. Even with the adventures of WA, for the most part, TS3 is about creating the world you want, not just the sims. You can go big with that and learn CAW and create your worlds from the ground up, or you can settle for editing all of your worlds and making sure even your vacation spots have the lots you want, the nightlife, the activities... it really is a huge sandbox. If you don't have much in the way of an imagination, that might be a problem. I thought WA was great and the worlds were gorgeous. I know it isn't Bon Voyage, but c'mon... the Sphinx? The Great Wall? Beautiful French countryside? What's not to love? The more you edit your lots and make the different worlds exactly how you want them - the more fun it is.

Re: University - I just took a sim through Uni, having not done it for a very long time. It was fun, but I agree, it gets old after having done it a few times. However. Java Hut, Comic Book Store, Bowling, herbs, ping pong (and beerjuice pong) extra traits for your sims... it brings a lot even if you never send your sim to Uni. And of course, there are mods. You can have a Uni in your home world now. Yay! Even though the Uni experience can become a bit of a grind, I really like the assets that came with this EP and wouldn't want to do without them.

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    Hey, I've been simming since TS1 because of my siblings too. :)
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    I'm actually playing a LEPacy with only the base game of sims 3 and I'm still not bored yet. With Sims 4, I'd start growing bored after about 20 minutes.

Naturally, I'd say go with Sims 3 and buy a couple EP's, (depending on your computer) I'd go with Seasons, University, Generations, or Pets. But, honestly, IMO, you can't go wrong with any Sims 3 EP. They all are great and add fun things to do. There isn't one EP that I don't like.
    I'm currently playing the same challenge and I forgot how entertaining just the base game is.
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Oh, hey... they have that access thing on Origin that Sims 3 is on. You could pay the 4.99 and try it out to see if it's something you'd want to invest in. 4.99 for a month of game play, and then you could cancel the membership closer to the end of your month and make the choice if it's worth it to you to buy it or stick with Sims 4.
    Yes, some people complained about this but it's helpful to those that can actually benefit from it. I was signed up for a bit to try out a few games that I ended up buying. You also get a 10% discount on games with the membership so if you do decide to buy, don't cancel until you apply the discount.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been playing a few legacies in custom worlds with the entire Sims 3 collection which includes all EPs and SPs installed on my laptop without getting any lagging.I've even made three of my own custom worlds in CAW and three of my legacies use those worlds.I've also got my game heavily Modded with 97NRaas Mod files and over 200 other Mods along with over 1000 package files of CC.I loaded my game today and played it through in a total of 20 minutes from the time I started loading until I quit the game.My town is in the middle of an epic blizzard which started as the first snow of the winter and it looks like the winter of 1662 is going to be a hard winter for the town.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,935 Member
    Back in 2009 I moved from The Sims directly to The Sims 3 and was well entertained for about 6 months before I started feeling I needed more content. I was delighted to be aware of the release of World Adventures at around the time I was beginning to feel I needed more to do.

Now I have it all as I gradually added to my collection as time went by.

I have all EPs Stuff Packs and all I can get from the store.

I've now started to add custom content and mods to my game.

I still haven't done all that is possible to be done with just the Expansion Packs I have. I am kept entertained.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,398 Member
    @Surreal, I so agree with you on that. I guess people just think that once you go over to the WA worlds that there is no way of editing the worlds to put in other things that they would like to see. I see some people taking things from the different store venues such the Boardwalk venue and the World of Wonder Carousel collection and making a venue to fit the theme of the WA world for their Sims to visit while on vacation in that world.

I also agree that the worlds from WA are so pretty. I just love sending my Sims to the pyramids just to have a look around them even if I don't have them doing the adventures. To me, sending my Sims just to look around those worlds are as just as adventurous enough without having to do the quests line as my Sims and I get to see the landscape and still have a great time doing so.... :)

Now I have gotten into using the NRaas mods as I had always wanted the Traveler mod so that I can send all of my Scooby-Doo and the Gang to these worlds since EA made it so that you can't take your pets with you to the WA worlds. Granted that there are some people who don't take their pets on vacation with them in the RL but some do as they are a part of the family. So now I can really have the proper pictures of the gang doing some adventures even if I have to keep Shaggy and Scooby outside and have Scooby do some hunting which could indicate that he's searching for some clues... :)

But all and all, I do love that EP and the worlds from it and the landscaping that they have regardless of what other people may say about that EP and how it's not a real vacation EP. It just depends on how one decides to use and play those worlds when they visit them... :)
  • Options
    LittleMissLimosLittleMissLimos Posts: 26 Member
    Thank you all so much for all of your advice and input! I think I'm going to try Origin Access for a month to test it out and if I enjoy it I'll buy it before canceling the subscription at the end of the month to get the discount. I'll let y'all know how I like it and please leave any more comments about which are your favorite expansion/stuff packs for the Sims 3. Thank you all again!