Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uploading To Gallery Questions

Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
I have just started to build and share on the gallery with my first lot, and I have a few questions that I hope someone could help me out with. I noticed that when I look at my lot details in the gallery, it says "Original by:CSM_Persona". Also my lot was named Sunflower Cottage Starter. Yet when I do a search under "starter" my lot does not come up! Lastly, whenever I pull up the gallery to community uploads, it's always the same lots/sims. Does not matter if I check off recent. or the last seven days etc. It's always the same lots/sims just shuffled around. Don't new lots ever show up?
NewBanner.jpg
Origin ID: Tiki5872

Comments

• Options
    KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    I've had similar issues. Sometimes it's a matter of making sure that you have the right filters enabled (make sure you're under the "all" tab instead of the default, which seems to be "Maxis") . But even with the correct filters, I still can't find my builds sometimes. I'll search for tags I've used, or by name, and nothing will come up. Right now, telling people to search by your Origin ID seems to be the most reliable, but it's frustrating because people might be searching for tags like #starter, or in my case #dutchcolonial or #craftsman, and they're not finding my creations. (Plus, I'd like to see other Craftsman and Dutch Colonial builds people have made, and I can't find them!)

I have a feeling the Gallery isn't quite working as it should yet, but maybe someone can enlighten us.
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• Options
    burntcheese223burntcheese223 Posts: 1,157 Member
    are you making sure the all tab is selected rather than the maxis tab? also, when it says by "someone else" modified by "you" that usually means you downloaded a lot and even if you started over on that lot it will still say it was modified.
  • Options
    KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    @burntcheese223 - The thing about having the "someone else" stuff show up in your build is weird. I've built over Maxis builds and had it show up sometimes but not others. I figured it showed up because I left something on the lot that was placed in the original Maxis build, like a tree or something. But my most recent build was freshly bulldozed (finally figured out how to do that), and I still got the "Original by:CSM_Persona."
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• Options
    are you making sure the all tab is selected rather than the maxis tab? also, when it says by "someone else" modified by "you" that usually means you downloaded a lot and even if you started over on that lot it will still say it was modified.
    Thank you @burntcheese223, It seems Maxis is the default and I selected all and that brought up all the recent uploads. As for the lots being by someone else, the one lot I have built was done on a existing lot and not one I downloaded from the gallery. It was a EA house on the lot that I bulldozed so I wonder if that is the case and need to start my builds on one of the empty lots?

NewBanner.jpg
  • Options
    VerionaVeriona Posts: 505 Member
    edited September 2014
    also, when it says by "someone else" modified by "you" that usually means you downloaded a lot and even if you started over on that lot it will still say it was modified.

That is some good info. Does it say the id it was originally modified from? I like that it knows so the original builder doesn't get discredited, but once bulldozed it should remember that too.
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited September 2014
    To not get that "Original by CSM persona" message, you need to do a new save...not an overwrite....when you are building on a Maxis lot that you bulldozed. When you do overwrite on the save...that is how it defaults for some weird reason.

It does tag a lot downloaded with the original creator, so if you are making an entirely original creation, it is best to only rebuild on Maxis lots.

As far as the searching for hashtags goes...you have to make sure you are in the community tab and then the ALL catagory and it will give you results. It is a bit confusing...I had a hard time initially and would have sworn it was glitched until I realized I wasnt in the right area...lol.
    e86b9c4a-6658-46e0-bc4f-d14a6768b469.png
  • Options
    To not get that "Original by CSM persona" message, you need to do a new save...not an overwrite....when you are building on a Maxis lot that you bulldozed. When you do overwrite on the save...that is how it defaults for some weird reason.

It does tag a lot downloaded with the original creator, so if you are making an entirely original creation, it is best to only rebuild on Maxis lots.

As far as the searching for hashtags goes...you have to make sure you are in the community tab and then the ALL catagory and it will give you results. It is a bit confusing...I had a hard time initially and would have sworn it was glitched until I realized I wasnt in the right area...lol.
    e86b9c4a-6658-46e0-bc4f-d14a6768b469.png

Thank you so much Ruthless!! I really appreciate you answering and letting me know how to upload and use the gallery!! :)

NewBanner.jpg
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful to me also. :D

If I bulldoze all the lots at once and save it as a new save (I have a saved game just for builds) can I then overwrite those lots without a new save to get rid of the "Original by CSM persona"?
    I would so love a construction neighborhood...one that had blank lots that you could just click on and build.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member

Sorry, don't get me wrong, but I don't understand this. Maybe I just have to try, but what do you mean by save and overwrite? I just started building on one of the empty lots. Or will I get that options when I save after working on an existing build?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Overwriting is when you save an existing game under the current name. When you do a new save you rename it so that it will become a new game.
  • Options

Sorry, don't get me wrong, but I don't understand this. Maybe I just have to try, but what do you mean by save and overwrite? I just started building on one of the empty lots. Or will I get that options when I save after working on an existing build?

If I remember this correctly (as I have only done it once) this is a option that pops up when you are done with the lot and upload to gallery. Somone please correct me if I am wrong.

NewBanner.jpg
  • Options
    treece01 wrote: »
    Overwriting is when you save an existing game under the current name. When you do a new save you rename it so that it will become a new game.
    Ok, then I am confused too then! LOL
    NewBanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    [/quote]If I remember this correctly (as I have only done it once) this is a option that pops up when you are done with the lot and upload to gallery. Somone please correct me if I am wrong.[/quote]

Sorry, I am wrong, that's what I was thinking because she said "when you are building". That screen does come up when you save to library or upload to gallery (I also only did this once so I forgot). Hope I didn't make things more confusing. That probably is what she's talking about. UGH! I'm a mess.

• Options
    simbody872simbody872 Posts: 828 Member
    The save new or overwrite is for the lot you are saving to the gallery and not the save for the neighborhood/game save. With my first starter I clicked on the save folder in the center top screen and the pop up asked me if I wanted to overwrite the file I already had, or save as new. I was confused at first thinking it had auto-saved because this was my first ever lot. I canceled, looked at my gallery and the only thing I had was a lot I had downloaded made by Ruthless-kk (thanks by the way love your little starter) I certainly didn't want to overwrite that one so I saved as new. I had no idea that if i simply over wrote the file that it would say the original was by ruthless-kk, boy would that have been embarrassing especially since I bulldozed Daisy Hovel, the maxis made house to build my first house! Hopefully that helps clear some of the confusion.
    A Legacy Challenge. The Benton Legacy
    A Prettacy Challenge It Ain't Easy Being Green
  • Options
    simbody872 wrote: »
    The save new or overwrite is for the lot you are saving to the gallery and not the save for the neighborhood/game save. With my first starter I clicked on the save folder in the center top screen and the pop up asked me if I wanted to overwrite the file I already had, or save as new. I was confused at first thinking it had auto-saved because this was my first ever lot. I canceled, looked at my gallery and the only thing I had was a lot I had downloaded made by Ruthless-kk (thanks by the way love your little starter) I certainly didn't want to overwrite that one so I saved as new. I had no idea that if i simply over wrote the file that it would say the original was by ruthless-kk, boy would that have been embarrassing especially since I bulldozed Daisy Hovel, the maxis made house to build my first house! Hopefully that helps clear some of the confusion.

Thank you simbody for verifying that for us! It gets a little confusin with all the new things we need to learn. :)
    NewBanner.jpg
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited September 2014

I think the confusion has been cleared up but to be sure.....
    40a7a345-667f-4b05-98bb-5b7737e25204.png

When you save to your library after having bulldozed an EA/Maxis lot, choose save new. Then the creation will show as your own.

When you save to your library after having made changes to someone else's lot, choose overwrite. That gives the original person proper credit but shows you changed it and allows the lot to show on your Gallery page.