Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Back to the Sims 2 for awhile

After reading a few posts on the board, I realized that I had forgotten about so many features of the Sims 2 that I actually miss, like sewing, magazines, etc. I don't think I've played it since the Sims 3 came out, so I think I'm going to reinstall to kill some time while waiting for the Sims 4. Not to say that I don't intend to play IP or TT but I want to remind myself of the differences between the two games. Hopefully I will have some more ideas to add myself about game play. Anyone else thinking of reinstalling??

Comments

• Options
    kitkat9913kitkat9913 Posts: 151 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm not going to be reinstalling simply because it's not on Mac and that's what I have now. I only had one sims 2 expansion pack, free time. I really wish that you could actually do and practice ballet in the sims 3. Maybe in the sims 4 they'll introduce dance as a skill and you can go to dance class and practice it at home!!!
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    edited June 2013
    You could sew in TS2?
  • Options
    wmissie0925wmissie0925 Posts: 310 Member
    edited June 2013
    Icarus wrote:
    You could sew in TS2?

With one of the xp's. I think it may have been free time?
  • Options
    foxmanicfoxmanic Posts: 121 Member
    edited June 2013
    Icarus wrote:
    You could sew in TS2?

It was indeed. You could also do pottery and I think that one also added the Ballet bar too. It's still my favorite EP in Sims 2 :D
  • Options
    pandabearroxpandabearrox Posts: 2,295 Member
    edited June 2013
    I wish I haven't lost my CD... I loved the sims 2 but lost both my disk and pets disk. I still have seasons on origin.
  • Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    edited June 2013
    I miss so much in the sims 2 :(
  • Options
    Mia576Mia576 Posts: 393 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I play mostly Sims 2. I have every EP and SP installed except H&M, OfB ( :( , may get it) and Pets (I have Pet Stories). It's very very fun. I also have The Sims Complete Collection, Castaway Stories and The Sims 3 and Seasons.
  • Options
    AmigoneAmigone Posts: 63 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I actully re-installed The Sims 2 and most of my EPs a couple of months ago. And it was fun to take a stroll down memory lane :) but I gotta say The Sims 2 cant really compete with The Sims 3. The Sims 2 is just so... how do I say this, limiting. With no open world it gets so stiff. I mean I love The Sims 2, but after playing The Sims 3 for four years I just cant go back to The Sims 2.
    Like I said I do love The Sims 2, the game have given me sooo much when I played during my teen years and I have sooo many good and warm memories from it :D but I have put it behind me and now I cant wait for The Sims 4!

Sorry for the long post, but I got sentimental thinking about this I almost shed a tear :lol:
  • Options
    hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited June 2013
    I love all the games. They're all installed on my computer, and they'll always be. If it goes past TS4, then the future games will be on whatever computer I have. I still have SimTown and SimTower, plus TS1 and TS2.
  • Options
    hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited June 2013
    Once you craft clothes, I know you can sell them from your inventory, but can you sell them in OFB? I know they're not going to make the best "looking" shop, but I'm still curious all the same.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2013
    Never left it.

Wouldn't dream of it. Until they make a game that has the same whimsical, funny, challange, and extreme detail in the gameplay again I see no point in ever uninstalling it.

It tops them all. It always will. Until they understand why TS2 still holds it's flavor after 9 years and beyond, anything else is just sideshow to me. Like TSM..a Sim's game..but not..and TS3 falls right in that catagory of a Sim's game..but not.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NarcissaNarcissa Posts: 811 Member
    edited June 2013
    There was a time when I had all three installed on my computer at the same time. I think this was about 2 years ago. I only played The Sims for nostalgia, since it and 2 were essentially the games of my childhood. I played it for a while, but it got old pretty quickly since in my opinion it's a much harder game than the others. My sims wouldn't get married, wouldn't make enough money, and I just couldn't get to the top of the celebrity career! :lol: I still loved it.

I started playing The Sims 2 again mostly because I was so tired of The Sims 3. I just couldn't get into it. I'm gradually adding the expansion and stuff packs as I begin to get bored, but I've also started making custom content, which is something I've never used before. After my computer crashed about 4 months ago, I haven't reinstalled The Sims 3. The Sims 2 is the only game I play now. Even so, I'm excited for The Sims 4 and I really hope I like it as much as 1 and 2.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2013
    I wish I haven't lost my CD... I loved the sims 2 but lost both my disk and pets disk. I still have seasons on origin.

If your game is still installed you can just use the last download from Origin to start up the game, no need for TS2 cd 'if' base still installed.

Seasons was released after Pets so if your games are still in your PC just play using Seasons from Origin.

Origin used to offer digital download if you had registered your Cds..I don't know if they still do that or not. (just a thought in case you want to reinstall).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited June 2013
    I never left TS2. :D I tried TS3, but it just wasn't the upgrade I wanted.
  • Options
    WyniiaWyniia Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2013
    Mia576 wrote:
    I play mostly Sims 2. I have every EP and SP installed except H&M, OfB ( :( , may get it) and Pets (I have Pet Stories). It's very very fun. I also have The Sims Complete Collection, Castaway Stories and The Sims 3 and Seasons.

Omg, I always thought OfB was the best one! So many hours I invested in making these beautiful shops. The only thing about that was the time needed to load the lots. This would've been a grand addition for sims 3 since you can simply walk to your stores and now hopefully sims 4 will have it.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,377 Member
    edited June 2013
    I have all 3 games with all their expansions and stuff packs, where there are any. My main game is ts2. I played 3 for a long time and it was my main sims game, but once we learned there would be no open restaurants in IP, I just gave up.

For a long while I played only 2, but recently I've been playing 3 again off and on. since I got Dragon valley. But even that has worn off already, lol. That's the problem with 3, it just can't compete with 2. Even with the loading screens, it just has so much more for me and my sims to do together.

The community lots are always full. The other sims in the neighborhood come by to visit. There is always something happening that never happens in 3.

Now with a good fast computer, the loading screens are hardly noticeable.

It's too bad, the present devs on 3 have really tried to put out a good game, but they were so hamstrung with the lousy base game limitations.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    wmissie0925wmissie0925 Posts: 310 Member
    edited June 2013
    My plans to reinstall will have to wait until I can find my disks. I thought I could just download it from origin but the download wouldn't install. Hmm, wonder where they could be??
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    Never left it.

Wouldn't dream of it. Until they make a game that has the same whimsical, funny, challange, and extreme detail in the gameplay again I see no point in ever uninstalling it.

It tops them all. It always will. Until they understand why TS2 still holds it's flavor after 9 years and beyond, anything else is just sideshow to me. Like TSM..a Sim's game..but not..and TS3 falls right in that catagory of a Sim's game..but not.

Problem with TS3 is it seems like it tries too hard to be like TS2, at least in my view.
  • Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2013
    foxmanic wrote:
    Icarus wrote:
    You could sew in TS2?

It was indeed. You could also do pottery and I think that one also added the Ballet bar too. It's still my favorite EP in Sims 2 :D
    Yeah I totally miss Freetime. But the good news: We ARE apparently getting the ballet barre dance bar back as premium content in the store Thursday! Not too sure what the diving board means here. Are our sims going to be able to do professional dives like the way they can with pose player?

Anyhow, this makes me also long for TS2. I miss the FT hobbies like:

*ballet <--coming as premium content in store Thursday
    http://simsvip.com/

*car mechanic/restoring that junk car <---we really need the ability for sims to restore that deco junk car in buy mode :?
    *sports (soccer & basketball)<--thankfully got both these back as premium store cc
    *crafts: sewing, pottery making, flower arranging <---would be nice to get these back
    *toy making: all kinds of toys your sim could sell, gift etc. especially miss the Kites (and getting electrocuted in thunderstorms) :lol: <---if nothing else, give the chance to make a flyable kite--for nostalgia's sake. :?
    *cooking: that coupor kitchen lot (aka the sims Master Chef) where your sim could enter their prize dishes to be judged in food contests <--sims have a wide range of great recipies to make--but no food contest to enter them in. And no, the Seasons food/eating competitions can't substitute for this either. :?
    *robotics making: making expensive robotic toys that you could sell for $$$$ (or use around the house). I especially loved that security robot which would electrocute any robbers that showed up at your house 8) <--yes we've got the inventor bench. But what good does this do if you can't make robots (besides servos)?

It's the missing stuff like this in TS3 which really make me miss TS2. Good times :-)
  • Options
    lanadelsimlanadelsim Posts: 136 Member
    edited June 2013
    I've just recently uninstalled ts3 and reinstalled ts2... I'm never going back to ts3!
  • Options
    2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited June 2013
    Wish i could re-play mine but they don't work on windows 8 :(
    My origin id is sim2011
  • Options
    wildbutterflywildbutterfly Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2013
    sims 2 works on windows 8 fine
  • Options
    Nina333Nina333 Posts: 85 Member
    edited June 2013
    I also never left Sims 2. I'm happily playing it and will continue to do so for a very long time. :D