Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a way to see how much "space" or "power" my CC takes up?

Hey! Please forgive me, I have somewhat limited knowledge when it comes to CC. But I read somewhere from a CC creator that each CC item can have a certain... something-something, I can't remember what it was called, but basically that something as simple as a set of nails could require a lot of computer/game power and slow down your game by a lot.

I'm wondering if there's a way to see this, and if so, what's a "normal" or "okay" amount that one single CC item should require? I have a ton of CC (addict) and my game is laggy and slow, and my CAS too (and I'm a cas addict so that's really sad for me).

Asking because if I'd discover some items that cost more than they give, I'd want to remove them. I already know how to remove specific CC, so I really only need to know this. Really grateful for your help!
pvza8x8vky60.png

Comments

• Options
    IsabellaHamiltonIsabellaHamilton Posts: 42 Member
    Adding to clarify that I'm not talking about how big the file in itself is in the mod folder. This is about how the CC was created and how that behaves in the game. Pixels or whatnot, I wish I can remember what it was called but I'm sure someone here knows. ._.
    pvza8x8vky60.png
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2022
    I think you mean polygons. I only recently found out myself. It's very tedious but the only way I know to see it is through sims4studio. So what I had to do was open the my cc option in s4s and go through things one by one deleting high poly stuff.

The link in the post above should tell you the correct range that are reasonable for cc. I found a tiny pair of earrings in my collection that were over 100 thousand polygons. That's just ridiculous.
    I also had these cc lots that I downloaded from a creator and I couldn't run any lots in that world
    without major lag. Eventually after checking I realized almost every lot I had in that world from that creator was filled high poly stuff. It's okay to have a few high poly things but some cc is just over the top. I don't use cc from certain creators like cowbuilds because they make high poly content only. I only have a select few things from her like the airplane bed.

Ever since I cleaned out the high poly stuff (and other unnecessary things) the lag problem is gone. A good cc creator knows how to make good look stuff and reduce poly count.
    You could have two equally good looking dresses but one is 15k poly and the other is 70k poly.
    Collectively your game has to load all the poly cc on your sims, the lots, the walk by sims etc. And if its filled with all high poly no wonder it doesn't run good.

Apart from high poly there are a few other things you could do. You could use a free renaming app like bulk utility rename I think it's called, to remove all special characters from your cc and it speeds things up.
    The downside to this is that if you download cc frequently it's easy to end up with duplicate files because the name changed. So I personally don't do it but I have done it before and it does make a difference.

Another thing is to merge files. Everyone says it makes things soooooo much better so I plan on trying this soon. But the downside and reason I haven't done it yet is because of the same reason, to easy to end up with conflicts and duplicates if your activity still downloading cc not realizing what you already merged. So if you do this you just have to be good at organizing and managing things.

The rest of it depends on your computer and how much it can handle. My current gaming PC can handle a LOT compared to my old one. And in my next upgrade I will make sure I choose one that can handle a lot more lol 😅😅😅

Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    IsabellaHamiltonIsabellaHamilton Posts: 42 Member
    Omg thank you both SO much. This really helped me a ton. I'm having a slight hard time figuring out what a "normal" level of polygons would be for different things. It's described okay in that link but also it seems all my cc is really, really high in poly, even those that have marketed themselves as having a low count of that, so it makes me unsure of whether I've understood it all correctly. :# Anyway you're both champions, thank you again so much. <3
    pvza8x8vky60.png