Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has Neighborhood Stories Gone Wild In Your Game?

Comments

• Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Meanwhile, joining careers needs to be disabled because it can break your game and cause the error code 0 save issue.

Oh, snap. I had no idea this could happen. I'm off to disable "joining careers," which is the one feature I was using for many of my favorite households, other than the ones I actively play the most!

Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    Before I let my game run, I disabled Neighborhood Stories for my actively played households and applied custom settings to other townies that I didn’t want massive changes for. For the rest, I disabled babies because MCCC had already created a baby boom earlier, and I just didn’t want any more. So far, I like it better than MCCC story progression. It’s not been aggressive at all, and none of the changes have hurt my gameplay. Mostly I get randoms changing jobs or moving out.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    I've posted a few comments related to neighborhood stories posts but I can't deal with it. I think rotational play with aging off has only brought me baby mills, the death of nearly every resident in snowy escape and keeps filling my lots I have reserved for my own sims children (once grown) with townies.

I'm having to spend so much time aging, deleting, evicting and saving it's not worth it just so some can get a dog or leave a job.

I really hoped it would bring a fun element and it *could* if it wasn't so frequent. The frequency is the issue by in large. I'm having multiple deaths a sim day and the babies and adoptions are out of control.

I don't heavily micro manage but it was making my game sloppy. Just. Sorry but no. Even toggle on and off was just junking up the game by bringing in random clones from my library only to kill them or move them into a save where they exist already. If prefer my pre made sims be back ground non played immortals again.

Every sim I hired for every venue from vet to chef has died. So I have to hire new staff across the board and I wasn't even notified that they had died. I just saw them as ghosts in my friends lists.

Ack. Rant.

Over it.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    @wahini2024, why not turn off all of those features you mention which you don't like and just leave on pet adoptions and job changes? That's why they made it so you can disable and enable each feature individually.

This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @Stormkeep because I really don't care if they change jobs or get a pet if I'm being honest 😂 I would never check the stories so I don't see any reason for me, personally, too keep it enabled

I actually did turn off the features for the Goth family after 4 babies. I deleted 3 which meant I had to go into play mode with them (for the first time) to age the infants. I then left them with one toddler. I disabled everything for them after this. They've had 3 more genetic children since and it's been disabled so I'm just over it 🤪😉
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Hmm…

I can get activate “have baby” or “adopt a child” for a few households at the time. Then when a few children have been added turn it if again. I often look at the stats for my population so that would be ok.

Something that I do not approve of in any way, shape or form is sims dying and they are just unknown in the save. I don’t know if it is a bug or intended that a wife or husband can die due to story progression and there is no urn, no family tree and they are gone from all panels. I cannot allow that in my game.

Currently I am offline so I am just reading about the new features in the forum. It could be very useful if it gets a bit more work.

I have been offline since August 2021.

It has been interesting reading about these new features and bugs...I'm not sure when I will ever update... I might not have a choice as I might have to reinstall my OS soon. I'm planning to change my motherboard.

If that happens, I'm pretty sure I will disable all of this new stuff. Neighborhood stories seems way too random for my taste with sims adopting babies and pets for no reason and sims getting deleted as part of a "story" progression.

Is there any logic to which sims that will be affected or is it just random generator like the horrible outfits that gets generated for townies?

Good luck with the new OS if you have to change!

For my part new babies and adopted kids could be fun. Since you can turn it off for the large majority and just enable it for a few chosen households it could be really good. The adoption of pets sounds great!

But I am far from happy with the deaths, that could have been a really good addition to the game. Something random that has great impact on a household but if none of the kids even know that dad died in a unfortunate incident with a cow plant, dad might not even exist in family tree at all. Then it is not a little bit of story for that household, it is just the erasure of a sim.

In a way that makes me think of illnesses and how they work. If you happen to play the doctor career then there is gameplay with illnesses, if not you pretty much have the options of having a speckled sim for a while, drink OJ or buy medicine. Just downloaded a mod for healthcare so we will see if it gets more interesting. The player in this case has the same position as the doctor, there is something interesting with the deaths. A fun text how the sim died but if you enter the actual household there does not seem to be any way to know what happened. The gameplay from that death isn’t there because it seems that the dead sim seems to have vanished.

All of this is just me trying to figure out how it works from offline by reading posts. I might be completely wrong but if not then I will continue to care for my sims as I do now. Elder townie npc’s get a death flower arrangement, that way the are still present in family trees and relationship panels. Random death could be a great tool for stories, but only if the household realizes that one of them has gone missing. Otherwise it is just fun texts for the player that have little connection to the rest of the game.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Do you have Fill Empty Homes toggled off in your game settings? If not, the game will put townies in all the good lots you were saving for your played household to grow into.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    Disabling certain features is always an option, of course, but I think it would be nice to have an option for people who play on long lifespan (or aging off) that runs the stories tests less often. If the game adapted to the lifespan settings, these players could still have stories babies, just not as many as in a normal/short lifespan game.
  • Options
    @Catzilla I do have full empty houses toggled to off but it overrides this option and moves people in regardless.

@EnkiSchmidt yes, exactly this. Long life spans or with aging off fills up as if it's a normal lifespan and it gets over loaded quite quickly. It's the frequency and amount that are my issue not the game play itself. I like the game play idea it just doesn't fit well in a game with longer life spans and not well at all in zero or manual aging
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I get about 4-5 events per day, usually a mix of different things. I leave it on for one week at a time, just like aging for unplayed households, just once in my full rotation of 11 households. When I turn it back on again, I disable events that have happened to certain households in the worlds (babies, pets). This provides a pretty good balance for me.
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,020 Member
    edited March 2022
    I'm afraid I'm also getting to the point of saying "no more." I play on long life span, and there's just too many things happening at once. I've only been playing with two saves since Neighborhood Stories came out, and I've had to spend a lot of time in world build mode remodeling NPC homes where babies have been born. Thank heavens I toggled off adoptions! And I'm not even looking at the pet situation. They'll just have to fend for themselves until I visit their houses and can add food bowls.

Today, I went into Manage Worlds and found 13 new babies spread out across the world, in just one save. None of them had toddler beds, potties, or other items that will be needed soon. I had to add everything and even had to build new rooms in some cases. Maybe this isn't necessary with NPCs, but I don't feel right leaving those kids the way the game dumped them. 😒

Example: I saw that the Roswell family in Strangerville now had 2 infants and a toddler! Can you imagine having this paranoid, hot-headed, evil, possessed guy as a father? 🤪
    y4m5Nehmim_6VUj9kodDrTNZgvA9KlFMXkwVJVSWAZe8dV4MQTRwuQ_w3GON9DcSbg5fXkLichVvydmKiLnwbMhzmte9x5Xf2Hp8dplbiNqAcnwyMPjWAxFSa2V5o_hM5DwJXM-gaF0ysMQyYI15aP1xHPyKg5BHmFv1FcL_eX0XoySLOwZdXmWH6MD0M0iIkME?width=300&height=289&cropmode=none
    The positive side of this is that I've been able to explore the world and open up houses that I've never seen before. 😄

But yah, I'm turning off Stories after it's run a couple of sim days--at least for a few weeks--so I can actually play my households! I don't even have all of the NS choices turned on! Now there's the Error Code 0 glitch to worry about, and I don't want to take a risk of experiencing that, so I also turned off the Start New Career choice. Luckily, I haven't had any issues with NS, just the frequency of everything happening.
    Post edited by lanlyn on
  • Options
    @lanlyn I've had to do the same thing I just don't feel right leaving a toddler in a tlc apartment. Benhali adopted and I was like noooooo! That's the smallest most disgusting apartment with mice and roaches and foul smells etc. Plus he has the giant bubble machine taking half the space in there so I redid that place and it was my final renovation before i just disabled it all. I still have so much to fix! I haven't even been able to fix half of them so I've ended up deleting or evicting but there are some that I'll do because they were interesting enough or I tend to like that particular family. Still though, phew!

Lol! I don't let the Roswells do anything!
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    They need to add a Speed setting to Neighborhood Stories. Slow, Medium, Fast.
    From what others have said, some things occur way too often. I only have it enabled for Random Deaths and Retiring, but I hope there aren't too many sims dying all the time because of it.
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited March 2022
    aparkison wrote: »
    For me it was just killing off my Townies too much, and while I was fine losing some of the older ones I've had in my saves for a long time, it got excessive and I shut it off.

I only had pet and child adoption, plus having a baby turned on for a few Townie families (most of my Townies are single Sims) and I never saw any traction with it, but my understanding is that's affected by traits. I'm guessing the Sims I was allowing it for didn't have the right traits.

I boot out nearly all the premade Sims too when I start a new save, so I don't have a lot of unplayed households living on lots either. And I had it turned off on the ones I kept, because I'll want to play them at some point.

Wow, I imagine the "killing off your Townies too much" had to be even worse, lol. Thus far, I haven't noticed that yet and hopefully, I disabled it successfully so it won't happen. It's just all excessive.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    Hmm…

I can get activate “have baby” or “adopt a child” for a few households at the time. Then when a few children have been added turn it if again. I often look at the stats for my population so that would be ok.

Something that I do not approve of in any way, shape or form is sims dying and they are just unknown in the save. I don’t know if it is a bug or intended that a wife or husband can die due to story progression and there is no urn, no family tree and they are gone from all panels. I cannot allow that in my game.

Currently I am offline so I am just reading about the new features in the forum. It could be very useful if it gets a bit more work.

It has been interesting reading about these new features and bugs...I'm not sure when I will ever update... I might not have a choice as I might have to reinstall my OS soon. I'm planning to change my motherboard.

If that happens, I'm pretty sure I will disable all of this new stuff. Neighborhood stories seems way too random for my taste with sims adopting babies and pets for no reason and sims getting deleted as part of a "story" progression.

Is there any logic to which sims that will be affected or is it just random generator like the horrible outfits that gets generated for townies?

From what I can see, the played sims are not set for Neighorhood stories. But the rest of the town sims are. Unless, you customize each one or turn it off for all. Except, the customizing is a pain and doesn't work right as noted in my original post. You can try it though and see how you like it, lol.
  • Options
    wahini2024 wrote: »
    @MsKatieRose I had to manually age up the Goth infants and delete the toddlers in cas. I set the Goths to "no more children at all in any way" and yet there are 3 more. It was the first time I "played" as the Goths so not sure if that did it or what but even though they've been set to never have or adopt a child... they had 3 more. That totals 7 newborns for them so far.

Yeah, my Goth family had that to. I dreaded thinking about having to manually age them in order to delete them, lol.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    You know you can turn it off for individual households, right, @Brd709? It sounds like you didn't want babies and accidental deaths enabled for those households...so disable it.

It's too bad one has to disable it, though. Maybe, EA will look into this problem.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    @MsKatieRose, I don't work for EA. And neither did the person I was replying to. How things "should be" is not something either of us has control over. I was just offering, from one player to another, a workaround.

The place to talk about how things "should be" would be the feedback and suggestions section of the forums, where EA is who is being addressed. That's not here.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @MsKatieRose, I don't work for EA. And neither did the person I was replying to. How things "should be" is not something either of us has control over. I was just offering, from one player to another, a workaround.

The place to talk about how things "should be" would be the feedback and suggestions section of the forums, where EA is who is being addressed. That's not here.

???

Umm... Actually, I edited my post when I realized I apparently responded to incorrect one. Especially, since person didn't respond. So no need of mood as I was stating truth about the problem.

Either way, instead of "work arounds" or theories. We need real solutions and adjustments from EA. We should at least expect that. We can only hope EA sees this thread. I will probably post on twitter about this issue.
    Post edited by MsKatieRose on
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    For one of my save files, I went through all the households. I turned off random death at the moment, and Sims ability to move in or out of houses. Especially moving into empty houses, since I want my Sims to eventually have those.
    I also turned off the career change for older Sims, so that they can retire on the same career. I may put it back on later on if they want to work.
    So far, I have only one family expecting, and one Sim on the path of becoming evil.
    I want to keep the families abilities to have kids for the moment, because I may use them for my own Sims kids.
    I have multiple saves on two platforms, PC and PS4, so I haven't played each long enough to cause anything too serious yet.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I haven't tested this new feature out. Do you turn options on/off for each individual household or do these options apply for ALL households?
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited March 2022
    I haven't had any accidental deaths since the update and I've played a lot of different saves. I check the neighborhood stories on mailbox every day and I've been surprised that it hasn't happened yet. :o
    I play a vanilla game, I don't have any mods.

There has been a bit too many child adoptions, though, I think I will turn it off on my saves from now on and allow it to only those Sims that I want it to happen. Same with pet adoptions, it needs to be controlled. Households don't really need to fill all the free slots with adopted children and pets.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    @Chazzzy both :)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited March 2022
    Hmm…

From what I can see, the played sims are not set for Neighorhood stories. But the rest of the town sims are. Unless, you customize each one or turn it off for all. Except, the customizing is a pain and doesn't work right as noted in my original post. You can try it though and see how you like it, lol.

Yeah we will see... I thought this was more like a story progression. I expected things like Cassandra Goth growing up to a YA, getting a job, moving out, getting married, and then moving into another house and having children and then her children will move out and get married and having a job etc... But this...seems a bit more like a dice toss where those things are random? Not much progression happening here.

So frankly, this seems more like a feature to make something happen with other households, but not getting them to progress.

Which I guess is...something?
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I've seen some people report that the game has done things against their settings. Just want to mention that the basic settings and custom setting have worked perfectly for me. Nothing has happened that I haven't allowed. Wondering how common it is to have the game act against settings or was it maybe just confusion about how things are set up?