Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Foggy screen

JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
Hi all. I have new problem with Sims 3 that I did not experience before. The screen is kind of foggy. It´s like looking at the game through thin grey fog and with less colorful. Does anybody have idea what this could be and how to fix it? The foggy effect is the whole screen, also control panel seems to be under this "fog".

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Does this happen when you're not playing? Does it show up in both fullscreen and windowed modes? I'd also like to see a dxdiag. Hit Windows key-R, enter "dxdiag" without quotes in the run box, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the .txt file to your desktop. From there, you can upload it to the free filesharing site of your choice (the free version of pastebin.com is fine) and link to it here.

It kind of looks like we can attach files to posts now, but I'm not sure whether that forum feature is working.
  • Options
    Does this happen when you're not playing? Does it show up in both fullscreen and windowed modes? I'd also like to see a dxdiag. Hit Windows key-R, enter "dxdiag" without quotes in the run box, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the .txt file to your desktop. From there, you can upload it to the free filesharing site of your choice (the free version of pastebin.com is fine) and link to it here.

It kind of looks like we can attach files to posts now, but I'm not sure whether that forum feature is working.

Okay thanks. This is new gaming laptop so it has to run all games very well. But I can also try that just in case to see what happens. This is only 1 year old so it has high enough specs. But if you need I can give the dxdiag info. The problem is only with the sims 3. Not with other games.

• Options
    Your dxdiag lists a few errors related to an Asus utility that doesn't really need to be running. So please restart your computer, open the Task Manager, and shut down any tasks in the background processes list that have "Asus" or "ROG" or "RefreshRate" in the name.

If that doesn't help, try playing in a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

When you reboot, go through the background processes again shutting down anything that doesn't absolutely need to be running. If you accidentally kill the wrong service and it doesn't restart on its own, just reboot your computer again.

Please do also test in fullscreen and windowed modes. More specifically, let the game load in each one, as in, switch modes before you quit and reload rather than after.
  • Options
    Your dxdiag lists a few errors related to an Asus utility that doesn't really need to be running. So please restart your computer, open the Task Manager, and shut down any tasks in the background processes list that have "Asus" or "ROG" or "RefreshRate" in the name.

When you reboot, go through the background processes again shutting down anything that doesn't absolutely need to be running. If you accidentally kill the wrong service and it doesn't restart on its own, just reboot your computer again.

Please do also test in fullscreen and windowed modes. More specifically, let the game load in each one, as in, switch modes before you quit and reload rather than after.

Thank you very much, i will try these!
  • Options

The foggy goes away if i play in window mode, but the grapchids are terrible blurry still. The asus processes cant be stopped, they like open themselves again if I quit them.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Is the game using your dedicated graphics card? Go into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3, open deviceconfig.log, and look for your GPU name about 30 lines down. If it's showing the Intel chip, you can tell Windows to use the Nvidia card for Sims 3 instead. Hit Windows key-i, select System > Display > Graphics settings, click Browse, select TS3.exe (Origin install) or TS3W.exe (with the W, disc Steam install), click Options, choose the "High performance" option, and save.

Regardless of whether you have to change the Windows setting, please post the two lines in deviceconfig under "Rating info," which should be in this format:

GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 2 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2900 Threading: 2
    Adjusted CPU: 2500 RAM: 15791 Adjusted RAM: 15279 Cores: 1