Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help me with copying my saves to my new laptop, please?

KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
I'm currently transfering my Sims 4 game to my new laptop. I've downloaded everything and I started the game and exited out. I have copied the Sims 4 folder from my old laptop on my desktop and I know I have to copy the saves and tray folders to the new one.
I was trying to copy the files from the old saves folder to the new one, but there's a folder called SerialGUID inside the old saves folder. Do I have to copy it too or do I just copy the Slot-files?
I'm an idiot with computers and I have no idea what the SerialGUID even is. I'm afraid to do anything yet. Please help me. :)

Comments

• Options
    L33tP33tNWL33tP33tNW Posts: 398 Member
    I like to think I'm pretty good with computers, and was about to comment how to transfer the save files, but I also have no idea what the SerialGUID is.
    ID: L33tP33tNW
    she/her
    AKA Doggers123

pJYI4la.png
  • Options
    Thanks for trying to help. I googled it and the only thing I found was that it's apparently some old thing that's not used anymore. I clicked inside the folder and there was nothing in there, so I'm probably going to just copy the other files. I'll still wait for some time if someone else knows more and if not, then I'll just do it.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    When I replaced my desktop a few years ago I just copied over the entire "documents\Electronics Arts\The Sims 4\" folder, and everything in it, rather than worry about what I 'needed' to copy. I also do the same very regularly to keep my laptop synced with my desktop any time I know I'm going to need to play on the laptop (traveling, etc.)

So far, that's always worked for me great, without any hitches and without anything ever being missing.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    L33tP33tNWL33tP33tNW Posts: 398 Member
    edited February 2022
    I just went inside my save folders, and I don't know if it stands for anything or is just random text but:
    2NDX1tr.png
    Just found that funny
    ID: L33tP33tNW
    she/her
    AKA Doggers123

pJYI4la.png
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 2022
    If you play vanilla you only need:

•saves folder/ specific saves you want to keep

(game generates save versions which serve as backup but the save without ver is always the most recent saved game so if you are sure you don't need to go about 5 saves backwards the ver ones can be ignored)

•tray folder if you want to keep anything in your library

anything else should not be required you can install packs through origin normally and all

but if you play with mods then idk that might come with extra folders/files stuff

but ive been juggling the saves all fine in out in out without changing much else
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    GreylingGreyling Posts: 163 Member
    edited February 2022
    Simmingal wrote: »
    If you play vanilla you only need:

•saves folder/ specific saves you want to keep

(game generates save versions which serve as backup but the save without ver is always the most recent saved game)

•tray folder if you want to keep anything in your library

anything else should not be required you can install packs through origin normally and all

but if you play with mods then idk that might come with extra folders/files stuff

but ive been juggling the saves all fine in out in out without changing much else

This ^ - and screenshots if you use them.

I moved some old saves (though probably not as old as yours) from one computer to another a couple of weeks ago, albeit the other computer already had saves on it, and didn’t see the SerialGUID folder that you mention, and it doesn’t appear to be within my current save folder either.

Oh, and congrats on the new computer 😊
    Post edited by Greyling on
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    This is what Crinrict says:
    SerialGUID –> This folder is no longer needed. You can delete it if you still have it.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Gagea wrote: »
    This is what Crinrict says:
    SerialGUID –> This folder is no longer needed. You can delete it if you still have it.
    Thank you, this a similar thing that someone said about it when I googled it, but it wasn't from Crinrict, so I wasn't sure if it was correct info. I just copied the save files on my new laptop and tested it. Everything works fine & fast and the whole game works now perfectly. There is no lag even with ultra graphics. :smiley:

Thanks for the answers everyone else who commented too. My game is completely vanilla and it's always been, I've never had any mods or CC, so it was easy to move my game to another computer otherwise, only that SerialGUID folder inside the saves folder was bothering me, but now it's gone. I can't wait to play more Sims 4, it's been only a week since my old laptop broke and I've already missed my Sims.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,874 Member
    Congrats on the new computer!
  • Options
    Congrats on the new computer!
    Thanks. :)