Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dine Out - do I have to own the restaurant?

I'm building a bowling alley and I want to put a restaurant in it. Is it possible to do that without having to own the restaurant myself? I want a place my Sims can go but not something I have to manage. When I click on the podium to hire a host, no options are available.

Comments

• Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    edited June 2021
    No, you don't have to own the restaurant, there will automatically be NPC waiting staff and chefs. Just make sure the lot type is set as "restaurant" and that you have all the required items. You can change the uniforms and menu via build mode but you can't choose which Sims work their if you don't own it, all staff will be randomly assigned NPCs.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,461 Member
    You don't have to own the restaurant to be able to visit it. I regularly send my sims out for dinner to unowned restaurants.

I don't know if it is a good combo with the bowling alley. Other sims won't come bowling. I think you need to place it in a bar for that.
  • Options
    luvalphvleluvalphvle Posts: 1,545 Member
    No, you don't have to own the restaurant, there will automatically be NPC waiting staff and chefs. Just make sure the lot type is set as "restaurant" and that you have all the required items. You can change the uniforms and menu via build mode but you can't choose which Sims work their if you don't own it, all staff will be randomly assigned NPCs.

Okay, that's going to be my problem then. I need to mark the lot as a Lounge (I think) for bowlers, but I need to mark it as a Restaurant for it to be a restaurant. Well...I guess I'm going to have to try something else!
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,567 Member
    edited June 2021
    I find that restaurants are best played just as restaurants, and you need to be careful of your layout to get it to flow nicely, don't have too many diners tables, and don't crowd things.

Perhaps have your bowling alley on one lot and your restaurant on another? I think I have about 8 different restaurants in my game, spread around the worlds lol. Everything from a McSims to a fancy seafood restaurant. I love taking my sims to eat out.

I really ought to try running one with one of my sims some time!
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 763 Member
    Maybe you can set a club that meets at that restaurant and bowls. Except it will always be the same sims bowling.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Maybe you can set a club that meets at that restaurant and bowls. Except it will always be the same sims bowling.

I guess you could always have more than one club (I think that’s possible?) so at least if they’re the same Sims there’s more of them so it seems less monotonous.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,696 Member
    I use the café counter object on lots where I want sims to sit down to eat/drink although the lot is not categorized as restaurant. You could use a bar (the café came with the Windeburg pack). You will need to hire a sim/barista every visit you want to eat, but I guess §100 is a minor problem here. Btw, I'm not 100% sure other sims will buy food/drinks, unless having an associated club solves it.

On a retail lot I just placed a cooler/bakery desk and put some home made food servings in it (not set for sale). They seem to last forever, and means my sims can always get some food while visiting. I think I've seen NPCs eat there, too.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,420 Member
    Restaurants are run by NPCs just after finishing the building. Shops however must be bought by someone, even if you don't play them actively.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,461 Member
    Restaurants are run by NPCs just after finishing the building. Shops however must be bought by someone, even if you don't play them actively.

Shops can be used without an owner. You need an owner to set up the lot and specifically set the items for sale. Once that is done you can sell it again and it will stay functional for sims to visit, even without an owner. The items your sims have bought will be back next time you visit the lot.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,567 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Shops can be used without an owner. You need an owner to set up the lot and specifically set the items for sale. Once that is done you can sell it again and it will stay functional for sims to visit, even without an owner. The items your sims have bought will be back next time you visit the lot.

That's right, and if someone has already made a shop and set items for sale you can download and place the lot from the gallery without doing anything to it or owning it and your sims will be able to go and buy stuff there.