Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How quickly does a year pass in your game?

I took this picture today:

51089890495_2945582a9b_b.jpg

And I took this picture on January 21:

50862183392_cf097be0fe_b.jpg

So it seems that a year in my game passes in about two months of real life. How quickly does a year pass for you?
Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I play on 28 days seasons, and I don’t play the game often. So it takes a while for a year to pass. But I like playing with long seasons so I don’t mind that I rarely experience a full year.
  • Options
    wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    Every 112 sim days
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    It's a mystery. No really, if you were to ask any of my sims how many years they've been around, they'd look derpy like, "Years? What?" Time does move on, as measured time tends to do, and I guess some form of year-like things might pass too, in some nebulous way. But my sims measure it differently, I suppose. So yeah, still a mystery, lol.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Too darn fast, even on longest settings.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,446 Member
    I can only play one or two evenings a week and love to micromanage my sims so time passes slowly. And of course some gameplay sessions are just building or CAS. . I think I come close to the OP for the duration of a sim year. I generally have the setting on two weeks per season.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Let's see, I play with 2 week seasons, usually about 1 sim week per play session, around 5 play sessions per RL week, so about a week and a half IRL, give or take. That 5 per week is "on average" and doesn't include Building nights. :)
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Atm i'm playing with 7 days seasons. I play around 3 or 4 sim days per play session and i play around 5 days a week. So i think one sim year takes me around 3 rl weeks.
    But time is relative in my game. Sometimes my sims spend one year in the same life stage, other times in one year i go through a whole generation.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I play 28-day seasons on long lifespan and their lives flash by to quickly!

Anyone know the perfect formula to work out how many households one needs for the entire rotation to experience all seasons?

I was thinking number of households divided by weeks in a season gives a remainder of one.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Not quickly, my last household it was winter when Snowy Escape came out in November, I don't think it was winter again until a few weeks ago
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    calaprfy wrote: »

Anyone know the perfect formula to work out how many households one needs for the entire rotation to experience all seasons?

I was thinking number of households divided by weeks in a season gives a remainder of one.

Problably not perfect formula but 4×(4×n +1) households will work for a 28 season, with n being any natural number.

For example for n=1, 4×(4×1+1)=4×(4+1)=4×5=20 households

So households 1, 2, 3 and 4 play the first spring, but next year they'll play during summer, and so on...
    Spring - 1, 2, 3,4
    Summer - 5, 6, 7, 8
    Autumn - 9, 10, 11, 12
    Winter - 13, 14, 15, 16

Spring - 17, 18, 19, 20
    Summer - 1, 2, 3, 4

Edit to correct the formula
    Post edited by texxx78 on
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,410 Member
    edited April 2021
    Hmm let me check.

I took this picture March 5 (Midsummer Fest)
    w0Nk3rp.png

And this I took March 30 (Midsummer Fest)
    zkLAbKs.png

I play 4 week seasons in an irregular rotation. 25 IRL days is probably faster than usual as I've been playing quite a lot.

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »

Problably not perfect formula but 4×(4^n +1) households will work for a 28 season, with n being any natural number.

For example for n=1, 4×(4^1+1)=4×(4+1)=4×5=20 households

So households 1, 2, 3 and 4 play the first spring, but next year they'll play during summer, and so on...
    Spring - 1, 2, 3,4
    Summer - 5, 6, 7, 8
    Autumn - 9, 10, 11, 12
    Winter - 13, 14, 15, 16

Spring - 17, 18, 19, 20
    Summer - 1, 2, 3, 4

@texxx78 If I have 17 households, would the 1st household spend the first four rotations in Spring, the next four in Summer, etc?
  • Options

Problably not perfect formula but 4×(4^n +1) households will work for a 28 season, with n being any natural number.

Spring - 1, 2, 3,4
    Summer - 5, 6, 7, 8
    Autumn - 9, 10, 11, 12
    Winter - 13, 14, 15, 16

Spring - 17, 18, 19, 20
    Summer - 1, 2, 3, 4

@texxx78 If I have 17 households, would the 1st household spend the first four rotations in Spring, the next four in Summer, etc?

@calaprfy i don't think so... 17 is specially dificult because it's a prime number. You will need a multiple of 4 and not all multiples but only some. According to my formula above, 20 households would work, 52 also, 68...
    I've just noticed a mistake in the formula above. Here is the correct one:
    4×(4×n + 1)
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,932 Member
    Hm for my current legacy it was winter when I started it in Nov 2020. Standard season length and standard aging.

We just finished the 23rd season, summer. So 5 1/2 years in 4 RL months.

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2021
    I play with 14 day seasons and I can play a year in about 2 to 3 weeks of real time. I play for around 3 to 4 hours each day.

I never speed up time unless the game does it automatically for sleep or everybody is at work and school.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Spring - 1, 2, 3,4
    Summer - 5, 6, 7, 8
    Autumn - 9, 10, 11, 12
    Winter - 13, 14, 15, 16

Spring - 17, 18, 19, 20
    Summer - 1, 2, 3, 4

Also, i forgot to explain: if you have 4, 20, 52, 68, etc households, each one will play 1 week.

So for example the 1st household will play:
    - one spring week in the first rotation,
    - one summer week in the second rotation,
    - one autumn week in the third rotation
    and so on... always following the pattern.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited April 2021
    My sims seasons last about 14 days, I thought 7 days was too short for me and anymore is too long lol
  • Options
    chonkiechonkie Posts: 67 Member
    Bold of you to assume I can stay invested in a save long enough to get through an entire in-game year! /s
    I did manage to play through one Sim year, had a lot of time so it took about three days (14 days seasons).
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,351 Member
    Sims 2 I re-started last month and played the Fall and Winter rotation for 14 households, that would make two months for one sims year.

In Sims 4 (no Seasons and aging off, irregular rotation, no clear distinction between played and unplayed sims) I'd say two sim years pass in one irl year. But I keep things vague on purpose and usually caption "in the 2040s".
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Right now since I'm doing a challenge and staying in the same save I'm blowing through more than a sim year per real life month and have been doing this since January. I play 2 week seasons. Normally though I skip around in various saves so it would be hard to count if I didn't have this gage. I do think I play them at the same rate either way.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    I started the story I'm currently writing last summer, and it was summer in the sims story, too. It's now spring of Year 2 in my sims story, sooo... A sim year has taken a year to write. LOL. In my defense, I did take a few months off from the sims, so yeah, I dunno.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,989 Member
    I have irregular rotation, and use the 28 day seasons and long lifespan, but i mostly have aging turned off. And the last month I have been in changing around builds in my main game.
  • Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    I play with 14 day seasons and custom lifespans via MCC

Right now I keep turning back seasons via cheats (Fall got turned back 5 times and Winter is on its 4th week!) Also aging is off so a year it’s taking me a long time!

Trying to find the right formula that suits me!
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    Interesting question.

I have a save on 2-week seasons and a save on 1-week seasons, and I play every household for 2 weeks each before switching. After checking dates on a few of my screenshots, I think it's safe to say a whole sim year can take anywhere from 10 days to a little over a month to get through, depending on the amount of time I have/want to devote to playing at any given time.