Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buying packs and intentionally not using the main feature

Is it worth to buy a pack for just the CAS/build buy or some side features and completely ignore the main feature.

The reason why I am wondering about this is eco lifestyle. I was debating whether or not to buy this pack on the black friday sale and now I am tempted again because it is on sale. I will probably get it in the end. In any case I won't be using the NAP feature because I don't like random behaviour. But this made me wonder if it is worth it if I decide not to use the main feature even before I purchase it?

I have done so before. I got get famous and never use the fame system. The furniture and CAS is nice but this is honestly the pack I would miss least if it were gone. I only got this pack after I learned there was an option to turn off fame. My sims have never owned a cat or dog despite the fact that I own the cats and dogs EP for quite a while now. I like the CAS, BB and world of this pack but as someone who doesn't own a pet in real life, I keep thinking I will play with a pet some time but just don't come around to it. When it comes to vampires there seem to be plenty of simmers who want the BB of the pack without the occults.

Please feel free to explain how you guys feel about it.

Buying packs and intentionally not using the main feature 148 votes

I like several packs without being interested in the main feature
43%
Frn0731bandit5JueJueSleepycatDSLsam123mcruddSimburianLavasm77MaryVannhaneulSimCarlexPaigeisin5KSkywalker4571cchant86FlashMarkerKennziKaigeLee12321Mirichataydevjcp011c2 65 votes
It happened once or twice when I saw a pack without being interested the main feature
32%
Erja888SimmervilleIsb917Thunderbat87AnmirlaTiipiijimbbqalanmichael1Yautjagirldavina1221Glimmer50Cheekybitsbixtersannaliese39ParmaViolet87Onverserluxsylvansillyangel0906GitaSheriSim57 48 votes
What's the point of owning a pack if you don't use the main feature?
10%
IcewolfColorist40Jeansoodrake_mccartyKhrisstyneemerehalloweenchildcece15624DoloresGreyStrawberryYogurtPamtastic72TTNsimmerizecsonSimmerGeorgeAngeliqueAdelaideCalico45 16 votes
What do you mean? I play with all aspects of every pack I own.
5%
bshag4lvIceyJAinemusteniSheepilingVanesa1118VikKanindota 8 votes
Other
7%
CK213GalacticGaljeLlyBeAn1573candy8PegasysBabykittyjadeRouensimsKimmermingusssssK_PlaysSallycutecat 11 votes

Comments

• Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    It happened once or twice when I saw a pack without being interested the main feature
    I don't use the main features from ECO (NAPs, community centers ...).
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    -I use the NAP's from Eco, in that I cheat in 4 safe ones so I don't get all the other nonsense. I never use community centers, meat wall or the bug hotel thing.
    -20+ saves, and only 2 of my families have cats. No dogs, I'm not a dog person.
    -I practically never use clubs, after the first few times. It ends up being a chore with all the nag about gathering. + almost all default clubs are pointless. I some times join Powerhouse.
    -I've done the Strangerville story once.

I'm perfectly fine spending money on a pack just to end up only using the CAS & BB. I don't find it a waste, I'll probably get my moneys worth, and then some (not counting bugs, because those happen). The BB/CAS in Eco is great, maybe except a couple of the windows/doors and that ear gauge or whatever that thing is called.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Other
    I don't see anything wrong with buying a pack and not using the main feature, if that's what you want to do.

I've never intended for that to happen when I bought a pack, but it has turned out that I don't use several of Eco Lifestyle's features because of bugs, limitations, etc.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I personally don't care of pets in game. I have given them to premade families cause realistically most ppl own a pet so I've given households who I think would have a pet(s). That said traditionally I never give my main household pets cause I find them either easily ignoreable or annoying. Another one is Strangerville. I got no real interest in solving the mystery but I like the world, cas, build, and career added and they are the only real reason I bought the pack.

Do stuff packs count? Cause I have a few that I either rarely use of never use the main feature item. Example, Romantic Garden. I never use the wishing well but I do like the clothing and build items mostly the flowers
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I don't think NAPs are the only main feature of the pack, and I rarely use them too. But I enjoy Eco Lifestyle because I like all that Rags to Riches stuff — being able to live off the grid, find furniture in dumpsters and create your own furniture, etc. But I also like CAS and B&B.
    Cats&Dogs is a good example for me too, because I'm not a big fan of pets in game and I bought it mainly for the world and B&B. I tried being a vet though and liked it.
    On the other hand, I'm not going to buy Vampires, Realm of Magic or Batuu, because that would be a waste of money. Not interested in playing occults, worlds are small and not my taste, and CAS and B&B only just not worth it.
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    It never happened to ne to buy a pack without being interested in the main feature, although having bought several of them I ended up not liking it at all. Imo it definitely doesnt worth paying full price for such a pack. It is like buying a stuff pack for forty dollars. I doubt they even worth 10. That being said the NAPS are just a side feature in eco lifestyle. There is a lot more to it so I would buy it even if I didnt care anout the NAPS.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    What do you mean? I play with all aspects of every pack I own.
    I usually at least try to use all aspects of the packs, that's part of the fun for me. I don't want to judge what everyone else does with their money and time.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with buying a pack and not using the main feature, if that's what you want to do.

I've never intended for that to happen when I bought a pack, but it has turned out that I don't use several of Eco Lifestyle's features because of bugs, limitations, etc.
    musteni wrote: »
    I usually at least try to use all aspects of the packs, that's part of the fun for me. I don't want to judge what everyone else does with their money and time.

Of course everyone is free to spend money how they want. This question was not about judging what others do. It was more thinking about deliberately not using the fullest of a dlc. Does it make sense? And it is a question everyone needs to answer for themselves. I just find it interesting how others think about it.
    Kathykins wrote: »
    -I use the NAP's from Eco, in that I cheat in 4 safe ones so I don't get all the other nonsense. I never use community centers, meat wall or the bug hotel thing.
    -I practically never use clubs, after the first few times. It ends up being a chore with all the nag about gathering. + almost all default clubs are pointless. I some times join Powerhouse.

I'm perfectly fine spending money on a pack just to end up only using the CAS & BB. I don't find it a waste, I'll probably get my moneys worth, and then some (not counting bugs, because those happen). The BB/CAS in Eco is great, maybe except a couple of the windows/doors and that ear gauge or whatever that thing is called.

Just out of curiosity, what NAPs do you consider safe?
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2020
    I actually got Eco Living without being interested in the NAP system. I planned to completely disable NAPs and never use them at all.
    In the end, I ended up making a mod that pretty much nukes the NAP based behaviour and now I'm actually enjoying them.

That being said, it's a bit different for me because as I modder, I'm tempted to buy any pack to be able to provide full compability for all of my mods. The only pack I did not get (yet - I might be getting it when it's 50 % off again) is Journey to Batuu.

The other packs I do not use the main features off are:
    Vampires
    Realm of Magic
    Strangerville
    Vintage Glamour
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Lee12321Lee12321 Posts: 318 Member
    I also use quote a few packs purely for the build/buy and not necessarily for the main feature of the pack
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I like the pets in Cats & Dogs but I will probably never run a vet clinic...

I like Eco Lifestyle a little bit more as well now because I have gotten the green eco footprint in some worlds and it makes them look better with the aurora borealis, especially Mt. Komorebi in Snowy Escape.

There are still some things I don't like with the pack like the NAPs, nurturing bugs and the crafting machine failing all the time but I guess it's worth it if you can get it for sale and use some mods to play it.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I got City Living a long time before I ever had a sim move to San Myshuno. I think I was still in completionist mode, coming from sims 2 where I owned everything. At the time I was playing a legacy style family and had just built them a house in Newcrest so I didn't need the new world at all, I just sent them to festivals sometimes. It felt a little like a waste. My current main save started out with a plan to use all of the content in all of the packs I own, so I've done plenty with the pack since, just not in the first year or two after I bought it. After that I started not buying new packs until I knew how I was going to use them.

But then there's laundry day. I got it at 50% off because I want my island castaway sims to have a washtub and clothesline off the grid, but I have no interest whatsoever in using the washers and dryers. Nice CAS though.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    If I think a pack will positively impact my game, I get it. I bought Vampires for build/buy, but ended up using it for everything. I surprisingly enjoyed a bunch of packs I thought I wouldn't like that much (Vampires, Jungle Adventures, Fitness Stuff, Island Living...) so I've been more willing to buy packs if I can identify a few things I think I'll like. I tend to end up liking/discovering more. The only pack I don't have/don't want is Star Wars.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    With the exception of Laundry Day, Romantic Garden Stuff, and My First Pet Stuff, I've at least played with the main features of every pack once. But there are several that I don't play with often or at all after that initial test. Still, there are no packs I regret getting because I've also found something worthwhile in every pack. Even when there are a ton of bugs.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Rouensims wrote: »

musteni wrote: »

Of course everyone is free to spend money how they want. This question was not about judging what others do. It was more thinking about deliberately not using the fullest of a dlc. Does it make sense? And it is a question everyone needs to answer for themselves. I just find it interesting how others think about it.
    Kathykins wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, what NAPs do you consider safe?

The "safe" ones are to pass the inspection and satisfy the NAP without hassle and nonsense of the other NAP's:
    - Green gardening: you place a bug hotel, don't need to deal with the bugs. Just leave it empty. Or a Bee box, but then....bees. This is the only time I use the bug hotel, just place it somewhere on the lot and forget about it.
    - Upcycling initiative: a fabricator or recycling machine
    - Self sufficiency: most my sims do handiness, fishing and gardening. So repair objects/upgrade, fish and have a garden.
    - Eco friendly appliances: I usually upgrade 1 sink to have Water recycler and the other Eco upgrade I can't remember the name of right now. I never use Eco parts, because those you have to fabricate. Not all my sims are into fabrication. I just buy the parts.

For Evergreen Harbor, the Modern and Green Initiatives are also pretty safe. Your weekly bills will increase, to get funding to improve the neighbourhood.

Also safe: Water/power conservation (in all worlds), but then you'll get fined if your household uses too much, and also 1 day a week without water/power. Which can be inconvenient.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I bought MFP purely for the blinds. I thought I'd like the aquarium coffee table too, but I don't. I don't like dressing up my pets, at all. I probably will never get one of the small pets. The only thing besides the blinds I've used so far is the chair shaped like a cat, once.

I got Get Famous for the Mid Century furniture, CAS and so I could make my Adam Lambert Sim a Global Superstar. I've yet to try the acting career. I generally don't care for the celebrities and get rid of most of them. None of my Sims, except Adam, have ever lived in a mansion in the hills.

I wasn't interesting in the butler in Vintage Glamour, I bought it for build/buy and CAS. None of my Sims live in mansions or are rich enough to need and/or want a butler. I've placed the make-up table in several builds, but have not used it, yet.

I originally bought Get Together for Windenburg, build/buy and CAS, not the clubs feature. I love that world, especially the countryside and island lots! None of my non-challenge Sims have ever started their own clubs or joined default clubs. They're great for the Asylum Challenge though, that's it.

I adore the Laundry Day pack! But mostly for CAS and build/buy, not to do laundry. I've placed the laundry appliances in some challenge builds, but very, very rarely use them otherwise.

I believe the waterslide was the big feature in the Backyard pack, but up to now, I've only placed one on a rental lot in Granite Falls. I got it for the windchimes, bird feeder, CAS, and other build/buy.

I originally bought Eco Living for the Northern Lights, candlemaking, off-the-grid features and build/buy. I wasn't all that excited about dumpster diving, but fabricating sounded interesting and NAPs sounded like a disaster from all the reviews. I planned to turn them off immediately. But, I actually LOVE dumpster diving (not the woo hoo feature tho, Eww) and fabricating is fun now since the machine has been fixed to not break so often. I avoid nurturing bugs at all costs. I've played with NAPs every which way, just to see for myself what they do. But they're turned off to NPC voting in my Custom Template save by default and I also cheat to choose which ones I want if I do turn on the Eco features to go Green.

I bought Moschino for the windows and photography. I ended up liking a lot of the other build/buy though and a very select few of the CAS items, mostly the hairstyles, but I use the boots, Mary Jane shoes and black leather outfits as well.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I voted for buying a pack and not being interested in the main feature. I bought some of my packs that looked neat, and mostly for an occult class, or something I wanted. One example is that I wasn't really interested in Nifty Knitting for the most part, but really wanted a hairstyle from it. I pretty much bought the pack for the hairstyle, but now I like the pack. I plan to use the pack to earn extra money for my sims that don't go into careers, and if I make a Harry potter save file, I can have Molly earn money through the pack.
    Most of my packs were pretty much were this pack as mermaids, vampires, mages, aliens, they are mine now. I also usually get packs for the CAS items, and not really for the build items.
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Did this with bowling. My sims have never been bowling but I really wanted all the CAS/BB items. Bought it on sale, 0 regrets. I personally won't pay full price for anything I won't use all the features of. But if it's worth it to you, it's worth it. Entirely subjective, so go for it if you're really going to enjoy it and can afford it :) **and don't criticize the main points of the pack so that they're changed because that's not why you (general, not specifically you) bought it anyway**
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Just about every pack (excluding JtB) have at least something that I like in it, even if its a pack that's on the very bottom of my "Do Want!" list. What helps is getting the packs at deep discounts or using giftcards on them so that I dont feel like Im wasting money on a pack who's theme I dont care about but I like something in it.
  • Options
    SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    Other
    I buy only the packs I know I will use a lot. There are some packs I'm considering buying where I will use some of the features, but not all. These ones I will get at 50% off, if I do decide to get them.
    I don't see any problem with people buying a pack they won't use the main feature so long as they recognise that they got it for that small feature in it and don't complain about it being "not worth expansion pack price" and try to demand the devs change a game that others have gotten for the current main features and enjoy.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Options
    K_PlaysK_Plays Posts: 102 Member
    edited December 2020
    Other
    I said other (not sure how to make the choice appear at the top of my post like everyone else did...)

ETA: Apparently, it happens on its own!

I own most of the packs (all the EP, all the GP minus JtB, and all but a handful of SP....lockdown was hard on me, don't judge!) and I tend to dip in and out of different game plays.

I have my main save where I jump from family to family. I don't use mods (I used to have the melanin pack though) in it and tend to have fairly vanilla lives. My goal with that is to play through all of the careers and non-occult aspirations through various legacy families. I do have a really famous sim in that save, but most of my sims are just normal people. I have a few in clubs, but not many and it doesn't come up most times I play. With so many options, it's a bit like real life. Some people like some things, other people don't. I don't cheat in this save unless it's something like updating skintones after the skintone update.

I also have an occult save where I focus more on mermaids, vampires, and witches along with making rainbow pets. I don't currently have any mods in that save, but I've been browsing some new occult mods that I might incorporate. I cheat a little in that save to match things up with my occult story lines.

Finally, I have an occasionally played Bacchanalia save. I use mods and don't mind cheating in that save. Anything goes there.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    I buy packs for gameplay, so if I don't like the main feature, I won't be getting the pack. There have been some stuff packs in the past that I have bought but found myself not caring about the main feature afterwards, like My First Pet stuff and Luxury Party, but as I got both on sale, I can live with it. But to spend 20-40 euros on a pack the main feature of which I never intend to use? I don't hate my money that much.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Other
    Nearly all the packs I buy, I use the main features.
    The only outlier is Eco Lifestyle. I like the buy/build content, and I liked making community spaces,
    but I dislike the NAPs extemely, and I can do without the eco game play.
    I also don't like all the fake houses surrounding single lots. It makes the world feel desolate.

I own the pack, but I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it without putting Eco Lifestyle back.
    I only regret not having a particular hairstyle that looked really nice on my sim and the shipping container wallpaper.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    Other
    I don't think there's anything wrong with any of the above options, especially if you get it on sale. And once you buy a pack, even if you don't use the main feature right away, there's always the option to do it in the future. For example, I've had Get Famous for 6 months and I'm only now going to have a sim become an acress.

Regarding NAPS, something I rarely see talked about is that, if you "disable NAPS" first thing in a new save, your sim can still vote for NAPs and they will happen, the thing is that other sims won't vote autonomously so you have full control over which NAPs are in action - at least that's how it happens in my game, and I can repeal the NAPs I don't want anymore. So I can still use NAPs in my game in a way that's not disruptive and it adds to my gameplay.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I usually end up at least trying out every feature ones, but I wasnt very interested in Uni for example, the actual studying part seemed boring, but the robotics skill and roommate mechanic made it interesting to me. Wasnt that hyped about seasons either, and I still keep rain and storms ticked off, but I love the snow and the calender.
    I am not using NAPs at all anymore, because they are buggy/annoying...

So, I think buying a pack for a different reason than the main feature is totally legit.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat