Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fixed Worlds?

SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
I’ve been doing reading up on how to keep my game performance the best it can be without compromising on the graphics cause I’m quite fussy about these things and I’ve seen mention of fixed worlds but I’m just wondering are they really needed? I‘m mostly curious cause I read that the China location of World Adventures is one of the troubled worlds and I don’t know if the fixed world is something that I should add to my game or not. I don’t really want to start a new save if that’s a requirement of installing a fixed world. I’m quite attached to my family now and they have friendships and relationships in their current world that I wouldn’t want them to lose.

What’s your thoughts and recommendations on this subject? Do you play with fixed worlds or just the ones that are originally in the game?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    If your sim has never been to that world, yes you can use the fixed world. If your sim has already visited that world, then updating the world will have no effect on that save. You will need to start a new game with the fixed world. Make sense?
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I used sunset valley fixed world for almost 30 hours of game play time until I noticed the issue it brought up (almost all lot have this uneven elevated rectangle ground it looked as if it was stretched vertically) so I reverted to original sunset valley world file that I backed up and the lot all fixed now, I changed it midgame in the same save, I don't see any different performance wise granted my game performance is always decent before the reversion.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    Isla Paradiso and Bridgeport are the most problematic worlds so I would recommend using Ellacharmed's fixed worlds in these two worlds at least. And like others have said, you need to start a new game if you want to use the fixed version. Saves in Sims 3 also contain the world itself in some extent because you can actually edit the world from Edit Town, and hence why it takes long to save. Because it saves the world, saved games won't use the fixed version unless you start a new game.

I believe you can also use NRaas Porter to move multiple households to a new world without losing relationships (and as such it would allow you to start a new game in the fixed version), but I am not certain and have never used it myself.
    Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Before I tried any of the fixed worlds, I read all the change logs to see what was repaired in each one and whether or not they consisted of changes I could make myself.

There are often little things you can do to reduce problems in a world—smoothing overly steep terrain on lots, replacing backwards facing tubs and blocked doors in residences, zoning certain community lots as no visitors allowed, etc.—if you want to try that option first. You may find you don’t “need” a fixed version of some worlds. Using NRaas Register to stop stray horses from spawning and getting stuck in odd places, using Overwatch for nightly cleanup and to keep an eye out for where Sims may get stuck to see if you can fix those areas yourself, and using MasterController to periodically reset everything—also go a long way.

However, fixed worlds often have additional changes applied that you cannot do without bringing them into CAW, such as lot tearing fixes, repairing disconnected roads or patchy “no-routing-paint” that leave areas where Sims can get stuck. This is great for those of us who are CAW-impaired. :lol: But keep in mind not every problem has been fixed in every world, and some users have reported that new issues were introduced after installing a fix. I would test any world fixes in a new folder for myself before deciding if I wanted to use it moving forward or not.

I personally use only a couple of ella’s fixed worlds—Isla Paradiso and Bridgeport. Those were the most problematic EA worlds for me, and since I played them often I felt the fixes were worthwhile. The routing in both is considerably better now. None of the others had issues substantial enough for me to seek fixes beyond what NRaas mods provide and what I could repair myself, although YMMV.

I can’t speak to the China world fix as I have never tested it. For my own game I simply set Dragon Springs and Hot Springs to No Visitors Allowed, and replace the door at the Hot Springs with an archway, which seems to take care of the main sources of lag, with NRaas mods helping to find and fix any others that may come up.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2020
    There seems to be a (very) slight misunderstanding here about switching out the underlying .world files with fixed versions and expecting them to be useful on games that were already ongoing, in-progress at the time before the fixed versions are to be applied.

The benefits of doing the fix mid-stream like that cannot be counted upon. But the new .world file is not totally ignored either, there may some benefits to doing it that way but there can also be breaks caused by the fixed version being imposed upon an ongoing game that didn't use it from the outset. It's not recommended, unless you have a way in mind such as by using Porter to transport your sims into a freshly spawned instance of the world in question that actually uses the fixed version properly.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    igazor wrote: »
    There seems to be a (very) slight misunderstanding here about switching out the underlying .world files with fixed versions and expecting them to be useful on games that were already ongoing, in-progress at the time before the fixed versions are to be applied.

The benefits of doing the fix mid-stream like that cannot be counted upon. But the new .world file is not totally ignored either, there may some benefits to doing it that way but there can also be breaks caused by the fixed version being imposed upon an ongoing game that didn't use it from the outset. It's not recommended, unless you have a way in mind such as by using Porter to transport your sims into a freshly spawned instance of the world in question that actually uses the fixed version properly.

If this refers to me, then no. I understand how the world fixes works and I used it before starting the sunset valley saves but personally in my opinion using world fixes is not be all and end all since it also brought another issue that is not easy on the eye (the terrain glitch)

this is the glitch im referring about
    nkqf4hk1766jzfrzg.jpg

I was like already getting too annoyed with it because it happens to almost all lot(some were worse than the others, especially beach and city hall area), so i decided to just revert to the original .world file and they're gone.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @izecson - No, I was referring to where it was said further up that changing the .world file on a game that is already in progress will have no effect at all on it. You just supported what I was saying, except that you happened to be going in the opposite direction with your .world files.

In the end though, of course the "correct" answer is the one that gives the player the improvements that they need so they enjoy playing their game more without wasting far too much time trying to work around world design flaws no matter how they came to be.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers everyone. I'm a bit confused still but I definitely will probably get the fixed worlds for Bridgeport and Isla Paradiso when I install those packs since everybody seems to be of the same opinion about those two worlds. I might need to ask for help again though when the time comes. I really don't want to lose my family progress but I do want keep my game running with as few issues as possible.
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    @Sharonia You can just use both types of world files. Just rename the one you don't need at the moment by, for example, adding something like ".old" to the end of its name. Then, depending on the savegame you use, just make sure the correct world file is active. Using the wrong world file doesn't have to be bad, but it usually means that roads and lots are not the correct heights (you get seams, buried road surfaces, etc.), and in places where lot positions were corrected, you may even get routing errors.

Other than that, they give some speed advantages, and the worlds that benefit most from these files have been mentioned (Bridgeport and Isla Paradiso).
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers everyone. I'm a bit confused still but I definitely will probably get the fixed worlds for Bridgeport and Isla Paradiso when I install those packs since everybody seems to be of the same opinion about those two worlds. I might need to ask for help again though when the time comes. I really don't want to lose my family progress but I do want keep my game running with as few issues as possible.

I just saw this and thought I’d mention if you like Sunset Valley like I do, and also plan on eventually using all the packs then I’d recommend Sunset Valley 2020, vanilla/chocolate. It’s a bigger sunset valley with everything in it. Routing issues have been corrected and it runs beautifully for me. The vanilla is no occult while chocolate contains them.

• Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    The only thing I don't like about Sunset Valley 2020 is that it changes the fishing spot up on the hill, with the waterfall, so I can no longer use the "Brunch at the Old Mill" lots on it. Otherwise, yes, its great!
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    JoBass24us wrote: »

I just saw this and thought I’d mention if you like Sunset Valley like I do, and also plan on eventually using all the packs then I’d recommend Sunset Valley 2020, vanilla/chocolate. It’s a bigger sunset valley with everything in it. Routing issues have been corrected and it runs beautifully for me. The vanilla is no occult while chocolate contains them.

Thank you so much. I actually play in Sunset Valley already so I will definitely look into adding this.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I've played in Sunset Valley 2020...and believe me, they've opened up a lot of the area. The map is certainly larger and there seems to be neighborhoods around the entire map...and a lot more empty lots to choose from. It's well worth it.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Does SV2020 come with original sv premade?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    I would advise caution in using Ellacharmed's version of China. The Hot Springs lot is messed up as you can see below, but the tomb inside is still fine
    I didn't notice issues with any other lots
    I've reverted to the EA version of China, but continue to use her other worlds.

Hot-Springs1.jpg
    Hot-Springs2.jpg
    Hot-Springs3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    If I download the chocolate version of Sunset Valley 2020 will the occult’s take over the world or just keep their population to the minimum unless I add more?
  • Options
    If I download the chocolate version of Sunset Valley 2020 will the occult’s take over the world or just keep their population to the minimum unless I add more?

by default, it will repopulate unless the toggle for the said occult is disabled in Options.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options

Thank you so much. I actually play in Sunset Valley already so I will definitely look into adding this.

You’re welcome! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

As for your other question, if you have the occult’s toggled on then yes they will populate. I use NRAAS story progression and I’ve seen this. I can’t speak to the built in story progression though.

• Options
    izecson wrote: »

Yes it does. One of the many reasons why I love this world.

• Options
    izecson wrote: »

Yes it does. One of the many reasons why I love this world.

Thank you! it seems that the Chocolate version is more complete aside from the added occult sims.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    I think need to have all the packs installed to use Sunset Valley 2020 properly so I'm currently installing all the ones I have and planning to buy myself the rest for a Christmas present. :D
  • Options
    rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited November 2020
    @Sharonia I installed the ellacharmed world fix (put it in worlds) and got Sunset Valley 2020 Chocolate and put the folder in saves like it says but the save doesn't show up in my game? What did I miss?

Also, what will be missing since I don't have ITF, and the sps i have are High End Loft Stuff, 70s 80s 90s Stuff, Movie Stuff, and Outdoor Living Stuff. I asked for Town Life and Fast Lane for Christmas but I don't know which ones I'll be getting.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • Options
    @Sharonia I installed the ellacharmed world fix (put it in worlds) and got Sunset Valley 2020 Chocolate and put the folder in saves like it says but the save doesn't show up in my game? What did I miss?

Also, what will be missing since I don't have ITF, and the sps i have are High End Loft Stuff, 70s 80s 90s Stuff, Movie Stuff, and Outdoor Living Stuff. I asked for Town Life and Fast Lane for Christmas but I don't know which ones I'll be getting.

@rubyskywalker

Have you tried creating new folder called Sunset Valley 2020 and then extract the .zip files content to it then copy the folder to Saves folder?

The zip files only contain the file that are supposed to be inside a named Saves folder, so you need to make a new folder to contain the files for it to appear in game.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    @izecson Tried that and it still doesn't show. Thinking it's because I still haven't reinstalled OneDrive panel to stop syncing everything. Oh well.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • Options
    @izecson Tried that and it still doesn't show. Thinking it's because I still haven't reinstalled OneDrive panel to stop syncing everything. Oh well.

Onedrive always has issue with Sims files.
    ihavemultiplegamertags