Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin Update Message

I kept getting messages about the mandatory Origin update this evening - they were actually pretty demanding, and evening a little threatening, telling me to close the game and so forth because of the mandatory update, else I'd have to play offline. I wasn't best pleased by the tone. I've no interest in shutting the game down in the middle of a session and waiting for Origin to update itself. I'm happy to play offline until I'm done playing today. I happily play offline from time to time, usually when there's a new Sims patch and I don't want to lose my mods before they have been updated. Playing online only matters to me when I want to use the gallery.

Honestly, I'm tired of mandatory updates. :(
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Comments

• Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I got that one. I'm ok with the Origin updates, but hate it when the actual game itself updates--in many cases, the updates break my mods
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,110 Member
    Yeah, I hate both kinds. I can understand why they are necessary but the tone of this one really bothered me. It was very pushy. I've never noticed that before.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    They got slammed for doing updates without announcing them ahead of time so apparently they decided to take the other tack. It was a matter of about a minute to restart Origin and let it update. Online services get updates, that's how they keep working.
  • Options
    I know they have to do it sometimes, and it's good that they did announce it, I just didn't care for the tone of it and the repeated demands for me to shut Origin down. I've had issues with forced updates in the past so it makes me worry about doing them and so having the message come up repeatedly annoyed me as well.
  • Options
    simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    Well, if it was worded less strongly maybe people would think it was just a casual update and delay it. But when they say "CRITICAL" perhaps there's a reason? Like they found some serious security exploit that would let hackers take over people's accounts or credit card info and needed it patched immediately for everyone to prevent a disaster or something.

If that's the case, then I don't care how they word it. Just give me the update ASAP.
  • Options
    Yeah, it was definitely a little in-your-face. I wonder if that's going to be the SOP going forward or if it was some kind of emergency patch.

My biggest concern though was making sure that none of my settings had changed (having Origin In-Game enabled prevents my game from loading) but they looked fine.
  • Options
    Honestly it's the tone and the intrusiveness that bothered me, not the fact that they had to do it. I just needed to rant a little.
  • Options
    Alwe1507Alwe1507 Posts: 328 Member
    What was the message exactly?
  • Options
    simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    Someone posted this: unknown.png

I don't know if that was the message for sure, because I only just turned on my computer and Origin immediately started updating because it was already past the hour.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    The update only took a couple of seconds so it was no big deal. I am guessing by the tone that it was a security update. Those are pretty important so I guess they don't worry about hurting people's feelings if it keeps your information secure.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    That was it. They started it at 2.5 hours ahead of time and kept repeating it every half hour or so; I think I saw it three times before I got annoyed enough to deal with it.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Alwe1507 wrote: »
    What was the message exactly?

So about 2 hours before the update period was ending, they sent a message that basically said Origin has an urgent update and you will need to either exit your game or play offline. Now we as Simmers can play off-line but not all of the games you can play through origin are that way so they were definitely trying to warn people to get off and update your origin.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 257 Member
    But Wait, it gets worse.
    I have just wasted over an hour with this buggy rubbish and keep getting an Origin Install error code 20:2 which does not show in EA answers.

WELL DONE AGAIN EA\Maxis.
  • Options
    shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 257 Member
    Update to the above.

It just got worse. I resorted to unistalling the not updating Origin application, downloaded a fresh shiny new one, installed new version.
    Started Origin, logged in, started Sims 4, got missing data error on load of the very same game I was only playing last night.

Unacceptable!
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I kept getting this message as well and I was in offline mode. It was so annoying.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    That is why I prefer Steam. Much more optimized system.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    shorty943p wrote: »
    Update to the above.

It just got worse. I resorted to unistalling the not updating Origin application, downloaded a fresh shiny new one, installed new version.
    Started Origin, logged in, started Sims 4, got missing data error on load of the very same game I was only playing last night.

Unacceptable!

This sort of thing is what worries me about updating Origin. I'll see how I feel this evening, I guess

I actually didn't think of it being a security-based update.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,423 Member
    simvasion wrote: »

I don't know if that was the message for sure, because I only just turned on my computer and Origin immediately started updating because it was already past the hour.

So this is why my game went offline last night. I started my game from the desktop and didn't see any urgent messages as Origin wasn't open.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,945 Member
    I also got this message while playing SimCity yesterday. I closed the game because of Please exit upir game and restart Origin part, but when I closed the game when the "forced offline" was near, I noticed the or you will be placed into offline mode part and reopened the game.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I got the same message. I lost track of time and was in-game. Got a message telling me I had to shut off my game for the update. Went to save and exit. Game froze while saving. I thought I lost my work and save file, but everything was OK. I too thought it was far too forceful.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I think Origin must have had a security breach recently. I was informed that my account was compromised and made to change my password. I wouldn't be surprised if the update had something to do with peoples' account getting hacked.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,694 Member
    edited August 2020
    I got that one. I'm ok with the Origin updates, but hate it when the actual game itself updates--in many cases, the updates break my mods

An update of Origin breaks your mods? :o:o : :o:o The OP isn't talking about a patch for the game itself, I don't believe. Yikes. I got the message yesterday, too. Problem is, I had already exited my game and closed down Origin. What was that all about? I agree about the tone, too. Guess many are taking turns playing tyrant. OOFFDDAA.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Alwe1507Alwe1507 Posts: 328 Member
    simvasion wrote: »

If the above screenshot is the message people received, I think some of you are too sensitive. Turn off your game or be placed in to offline mode. Pretty to the point and informative imo.

Word it better?
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    That message doesnt read so bad to me. I hate origin tho. I had a very bad issue with one of its updates that i still get scared of having a similar one whenever it has a new one.
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I never got an update for Origin, I wonder why. I didn't log in on yesterday, I waited until today and one never started.