Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New to mods, seriously need tips and some help here

Iv'e played different sims games for years now but never ever with mods.
I recently got around to buy sims 4 with a lot of the extra packs. And after looking around the forums here and other websites, i'm really curious about mods :grin: But the thing is, I have no clue what i'm even doing when it comes to mods (bet i'm not the only one feeling this way).
So what i want are some tips for okay mods to start off with which is safe and don't mess everything up.

I also would like to know (since i'm terrified of ruining the main save i play on). If i start a new save, with mods on, are the mods only on that save, or will they also be on if i go back to my main save?
What are the risks of playing with mods? I'm terrified i'll have to delete all my saves or uninstall the game and stuff like that. Really don't want anything to mess up the game, or my computer in general :s

Hope someone can help, and maybe others who wonders the same maybe can get their answers too :smile:

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited February 2020
    Welcome to the mod club!

Safety info:
    • Only download mods from the original creator, especially if it's a folder of mods.
    • Some Simmers avoid sites that go via Adfly or that include a lot of sponsor advertising.
    • Keep backups of your saves. This is always a good thing anyway. Backup before you add new mods and before the game updates. You can set Origin to *not* update automatically, so it will wait till you tell it to! Then you have time to backup your save.
    • Don't add a whole lot at once. That makes it easier to tell *what* messed it up.

Installing mods:
    • You install mods by putting them in the folder the game has made called Mods. If the mod comes with a file ending .ts4script, it's a script mod. Script mods can only go "one deep". So, inside Mods you can have subfolders. If it's just a .package file, it can go a few subfolders deep, but script mods can go only one folder deep.

Keeping up:
    • Mods often need updating after game updates (patches). Most patches disable your mods *for* you, just in case. You can re-enable them after you've checked that they're okay. Make save backups before checking them yourself!
    • Mods get updated by their creators (or another modder who's taken them over). I keep lists in this forum area to help people know what's broken by an update and what's gotten updated. I also post some of that info on my Twitter feed.
    • CC (custom content - build items, clothes, and the like) doesn't need updating as often, but it does end up incompatible. Usually that turns up in the form of Sims who suddenly look very broken.
    • You can get help with using mods from their creators, and Deaderpool's Discord server provides general mod/CC support.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    Make sure you go into the game and enable CC and Mods if you are using them. As Luth mentioned, you will also need to do this after most patches.
  • Options
    PinkyPusPinkyPus Posts: 52 Member
    do anyone have the link to slice of life mod ? There are so many different websites and I don't wanna risk downloading a unsafe one or something. Rather aim for the real deal :smile:
  • Options
    Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    PinkyPus wrote: »
    do anyone have the link to slice of life mod ? There are so many different websites and I don't wanna risk downloading a unsafe one or something. Rather aim for the real deal :smile:

I would recommend downloading Mods directly from the creator. In this case that would be KawaiiStacie:
    https://www.kawaiistaciemods.com/
  • Options
    Rococo1256Rococo1256 Posts: 233 Member
    Hi,

I just started using mods too! I'd been admiring the Foster Family Mod by LittleMsSam for a long time, but I was really scared that mods would cause too many problems, or that updating them would be a big chore. Finally, I saw someone recommend a mod that would allow toddlers at parks. I'd wanted toddlers autonomously at parks for so long, and I finally decided to take a chance and place a few mods into my game. It's a whole new world! I'm having a lot of fun with the Foster Family Mod, although I have only used it to foster pets so far.

I also was really scared to use mods, but I'm so glad I took the chance. Using mods is not nearly as frightening or troublesome as I thought. I hope you have a great time too @PinkyPus
    I am GreenRocket on the Gallery.