Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Autonomy... Again

sprootsproot Posts: 590 Member
I have a few roommates that I've accepted and when they first moved in, everything was fine. Then, all of a sudden, I get this pop-up saying: "I have needs and they are not being met in this place. I can barely take care of myself. Could you make sure there are enough things in this place that I can take care of myself? If not... I'm going to have to start looking for another place." Mind you, the house has 4 bathrooms, four bedrooms with two beds in each, and a nice, big kitchen. The reason why they're saying that is because, well, they won't do anything. I posted a thread before about my sims' autonomy feeling like I've been playing with it off when I'm not. Now it's the NPCs. I've reset this sim multiple times and she just... won't do a darn thing. It's not simulation lag either. Also, does anyone else feel like sims with partners aren't so affectionate anymore? Sure, they'll flirt while having a conversation, but I've noticed that they don't hug/kiss at random as much as they used to, and I honestly kind of miss it. (Maybe not the hugs so much, but I liked when they would give a kiss to each other once in a while)

Edit: I cheated her needs and she said she felt better, but she's still not doing anything.
IMG-6587.gif

Comments

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited December 2019
    I've noticed a lack of autonomy with room mates in dorms. I keep seeing sims walking round the dorms looking dirty or extremely tired and they don't seem to be doing anything about it. I feel quite bad for them and the dorms are equipped with everything they need.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited December 2019
    I think this warning message is way too sensitive. If your roommate has needs in the red even for a short while, it triggers this message. Usually, my roommates are able to tend to that need and then go to bed without any issue. Although I did run into that bug where none of them would sleep, bathe, or do much else to take care of themselves even though they were in a mansion with 10 beds and bathrooms. :/ It seemed to fix itself after switching households.
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I had heard about that and so I had one of my sims get two roommates to see if it would happen, but I never got that message, which is odd because it was 3 sims living in that little Crick Cabana house in Willow Creek with only one bathroom and not great beds. For the most part - the two roommates did stuff - played on the computer, painted, played violin, used the basketball hoop, exercise equipment and water slide, but whenever my sim went to work - they usually would just sit on the couch the whole time he was gone playing with their phones. Roommates do have hidden traits (it was in another post somewhere on the forum) that make them do certain things - like play violin, bring food all the time, be slobs, have parties, etc. I know one of the roommates had the erratic trait - forget the other traits right now. I don't have any mods so not sure if that is the difference.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I played many terms with roommates, both on dorm and residential, and never missed any activity from them. I had the romantic NPC bringing home a bf/gf only in dorm, but that is due to the random traits they come with. I had the said warning only once, and I know there were several plumbing needing a fix at the moment. But like someone said, that message can be cause by any needs in the red, such as Socials and Fun, which have nothing to do with plumbing. I don't know if that roommate moved out and got replaced, and if so it would be fine because I think it's more realistic if they actually move out from time to time.

What I have noticed, is that with any changes in the household, most bed assignments get wonky ad I must set all beds again. If not they will still go to sleep in any bed, but with several locked doors, it might cause some sleep need challenge.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I don't have any roommates at the moment, nor do I currently have any Sims at uni. When I did, before the patch came out, I simply would use my active Sim to convince to: bathe. When his Obsessed Fans would walk around naked and dirty, I realized I could have my Sim ask them to 'show outfit', then I would select the weather-appropriate one. Have you tried the convince to command?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I don't have any roommates at the moment, nor do I currently have any Sims at uni. When I did, before the patch came out, I simply would use my active Sim to convince to: bathe. When his Obsessed Fans would walk around naked and dirty, I realized I could have my Sim ask them to 'show outfit', then I would select the weather-appropriate one. Have you tried the convince to command?

I did, and it didn't fail either. However, the sim continued to stand outside and not do anything. I feel like ever since the autonomy issues, my sims aren't the same anymore. :(
    IMG-6587.gif
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    There's quite a bit of weirdness with the roommates. I had the same thing happen. Had plenty of food, bathrooms and they still moved out. I also get these random arguments when there was never an argument. Two sims will just walk by each other then for some reason they are mad about an argument. What??? I think Maxis is just trying to create some kind of drama, but none of it really makes any sense. Same thing with the roommate that drops notes. They'll complain about a messy house but the house is always pristine. IDK. I'm done with roommates until it actually makes sense.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    You're right. I think they want to spice it up since people complain it's boring and there's no drama. But the sims AI is really bad so I agree, nothing makes sense. I had the same problems.

Honestly maybe that's why they never added much drama to the game because the AI was always lacking,and maybe they can't improve it?
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    What I've noticed is that a lot of the times roomates just stand around doing nothing. But I thought that was just the simulation lag or something.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    edited December 2019
    You're right. I think they want to spice it up since people complain it's boring and there's no drama. But the sims AI is really bad so I agree, nothing makes sense. I had the same problems.

Honestly maybe that's why they never added much drama to the game because the AI was always lacking,and maybe they can't improve it?

I think they could improve it. They just need to have triggers for the different situations. Not just random nonsense. Another example is the flirting. If for instance a married couple is approached by a flirty sim, and flirts with the husband and the husband rejects the advance his spouse will still get the "sad drifting love" moodlet. They could instead trigger it from his reaction and have different moodlets. Sad, if he flirts back or maybe a happy or confident moodlet if he rejects the advance. Not just a blanket sad moodlet. And maybe they could even take advantage of the different traits and tag reactions to them. A hotheaded sim would probably start tearing into flirty sim for flirting with their spouse. That would be drama that actually made sense.
    Post edited by Arzekial on
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited December 2019
    My Sim’s roommates are obsessed with the foosball table. I got a message saying one of the roommates was leaving because she needed to take a shower. Weird.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    My Sim’s roommates are obsessed with the foosball table. I got a message saying one of the roommates was leaving because she needed to take a shower. Weird.

That is weird.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Arzekial wrote: »

I think they could improve it. They just need to have triggers for the different situations. Not just random nonsense. Another example is the flirting. If for instance a married couple is approached by a flirty sim, and flirts with the husband and the husband rejects the advance his spouse will still get the "sad drifting love" moodlet. They could instead trigger it from his reaction and have different moodlets. Sad, if he flirts back or maybe a happy or confident moodlet if he rejects the advance. Not just a blanket sad moodlet. And maybe they could even take advantage of the different traits and tag reactions to them. A hotheaded sim would probably start tearing into flirty sim for flirting with their spouse. That would be drama that actually made sense.

This! I've been thinking about this SO much. I personally don't think it's fair when a sim that flirts with another who's in a relationship gets away with it. At least have the partner's relationship (friends or strangers) with the flirting sim take a negative hit as well...
    IMG-6587.gif