Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Couple of questions (uni & rotational play)

Does anyone know please?

- So you apply to uni then (hopefully) get an acceptance letter - do acceptance letters expire?
- how many times does a sim have to attend a class before they pass that class? (I've seen this in the info tread:

A single semester (we call them “terms” for this pack) lasts 5 weekdays, which means that it can last from 5-7 in-game days depending on what day the term starts on.

so each term is 5 days, but watching the livestream it showed 1 sim having to attend on Tuesday and Thursday for one of their classes - does that mean that some classes will only have to be attended twice?
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    1. No, acceptance letters don't expire, as far as I'm aware. Also, you're able to enroll even without doing the application process, I think (not 100% sure on that one)

2. for each class, you'll have to attend twice during one semester. There might be classes that have more time slots as you progress though, possibly.
    And for some classes you'll also have a third mandatory thing to attend which is the final exam. This isn't for every class though.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

2. for each class, you'll have to attend twice during one semester.

Do you mind if I ask where you heard this? (I'm not doubting you, I just want to check out the info for myself)
  • Options
    BabySquare wrote: »

Do you mind if I ask where you heard this? (I'm not doubting you, I just want to check out the info for myself)

Don't mind at all.
    I've watched a few of the Gamechanger gameplay videos and I only remember seeing classes with two timeslots when they needed to attend class. James Turner's video shows it pretty well, mostly also because his SIm almost missed a class lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pHAmxmmaZo

at 14:49 in the video he has the class UI pulled up (and looking at it now, I see that there's one class that has three timeslots, so it's not always 2, sorry!)
  • Options

Don't mind at all.
    I've watched a few of the Gamechanger gameplay videos and I only remember seeing classes with two timeslots when they needed to attend class. James Turner's video shows it pretty well, mostly also because his SIm almost missed a class lol

at 14:49 in the video he has the class UI pulled up (and looking at it now, I see that there's one class that has three timeslots, so it's not always 2, sorry!)

Thank you! :)

(also from what I gather from the livestream the 3rd attendance is probably to sit an exam, but don't quote me on it.
  • Options

Don't mind at all.

Thank you! :)

(also from what I gather from the livestream the 3rd attendance is probably to sit an exam, but don't quote me on it.

That's entirely possible. We'll find out I guess when more of the gameplay videos or twitch streams come out. Or on Friday lol
  • Options
    Susim62Susim62 Posts: 225 Member
    Are any other rotational players wondering how this will work with Uni?

My working sims don't take a performance hit when I'm not playing them, so their work performance status remains as it was when I left them.
    Sims in the acting career, however, have to attend auditions and gigs at a specified time otherwise they miss it.

If Uni works like the acting career, then it would seem you'd have to play that sim for the full 3 sim weeks they are Uni, and for me, I really don't see that happening.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    As I understand it, the sims re-enroll for every term. So what I'm thinking is that if they complete the term during a rotation, I would just not re-enroll them until my rotation cycled around to them again. In the meantime they *should* be like any other household that's not currently active.
  • Options
    sillehbeesillehbee Posts: 704 Member
    edited November 2019
    One of the gurus said in the livestream that you could lose your scholarships if you took too long in between semesters, iirc. So perhaps some things do expire?
  • Options
    I just hope their place at uni doesn't expire while I'm playing other households. Either that or there might be a setting in MC command center for it.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    sillehbee wrote: »
    One of the gurus said in the livestream that you could lose your scholarships if you took too long in between semesters, iirc. So perhaps some things do expire?

I'm hoping that "taking too long in between semesters" would mean playing that household while taking the break. On most matters in ts4 time is counted only when household is the active one. We'll soon enough know for sure :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    I understand it as if you rotate away from a played sim who is at Uni, they will finish whatever term they're on with an average grade (if you're away long enough) but then won't progress any further, so they won't enroll/start their next term but they remain a part of the uni and in their uni housing, and the gap between won't count towards losing scholarships etc. In contrast, if you made them unplayed they will continue to finish their current term, and enroll onto the next one earning average grades until graduation. One term is 5 sim days, so I'm hoping to get around any unwanted story progression and keep everyone on track by playing only one student/household of students per term so I'll swap every term to a new group. I really hope I've got this right, otherwise it's going to be very difficult to play rotationally.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    tegteg87 wrote: »
    I understand it as if you rotate away from a played sim who is at Uni, they will finish whatever term they're on with an average grade (if you're away long enough) but then won't progress any further, so they won't enroll/start their next term but they remain a part of the uni and in their uni housing, and the gap between won't count towards losing scholarships etc. In contrast, if you made them unplayed they will continue to finish their current term, and enroll onto the next one earning average grades until graduation. One term is 5 sim days, so I'm hoping to get around any unwanted story progression and keep everyone on track by playing only one student/household of students per term so I'll swap every term to a new group. I really hope I've got this right, otherwise it's going to be very difficult to play rotationally.

That's how I've understood it so far, too. It makes sense because my played adults don't lose any career progress when I'm not actively with them so I would imagine this will work along the same principle, providing they've finished their term before you switch.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    So does the uni week begin on the day you enrol or is it fixed Mon-Fri?
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    So does the uni week begin on the day you enrol or is it fixed Mon-Fri?

The day you enroll, so if you enroll closer to the weekend you’ll have some extra time to get things done.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    If you're staying in a dorm on campus and you graduate does your sim continue to stay there or do they automatically go back to were they lived before moving to the dorm?
  • Options
    If you're staying in a dorm on campus and you graduate does your sim continue to stay there or do they automatically go back to were they lived before moving to the dorm?

The moment the Sim graduates they'll no longer be enrolled in university and will get the "Packing and Moving" popup and they'll get time to pack up. When they're done, they'll be moved out into the Not In World bin. From there, you can move them into wherever, but the game doesn't do it by itself. (source: MsGryphi'sDU gameplay video)
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Thanks, @darrenfroggy
    Do you happen to know how long they get to pack & move? If I watch MsGryphi’s video will it have spoilers for the secret society? I really don’t want that particular feature spoiled for me.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @babajayne This one video has nothing on the secret society so you're good to watch :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsmVzNvj4fg

I'm not sure how long the packing window is as the video is edited. It's a timed event with no tasks, so I'm guessing it will be about as long as the Welcome Wagon is.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @babajayne This one video has nothing on the secret society so you're good to watch :D

I'm not sure how long the packing window is as the video is edited. It's a timed event with no tasks, so I'm guessing it will be about as long as the Welcome Wagon is.
    Thanks! I wish she had hovered over the event timer so we could see how long that lasts... also I can’t remember if you can switch households while an event is going on? I know you can’t enter build mode but that’s irrelevant here. (Or are those reversed? I might be wrong) If anyone knows that would be awesome!
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »

Thanks! I wish she had hovered over the event timer so we could see how long that lasts... also I can’t remember if you can switch households while an event is going on? I know you can’t enter build mode but that’s irrelevant here. (Or are those reversed? I might be wrong) If anyone knows that would be awesome!

I don't think you can, same way I believe you can't travel during an event.
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »

I don't think you can, same way I believe you can't travel during an event.
    Yeah that’s what I was thinking... lots of restrictions during events. Hmmm
    I will probably just try the dorms and eventually move the groups into regular housing anyway TBH. That was always my preference in TS2.