Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

unpopular opinions

Comments

• Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    Jyotai wrote: »
    There is no reason whatsoever to have "announcements" about announcements for content. I don't give a flying plum if the so-called SimGurus think it's cute or creative. Just fracking tell us that you're going to announce a new expansion, game, or stuff pack on (insert random date here).

It's a result of the age of Social Media.

I don't like it either, but the model for everything these days it put your train on the hype rail and go.

The only 'death' for social media is to be ignored.

Just to run one step further with this. About 2 years ago listening to a tech podcast while in traffic one of the speakers brought up the notion of 'AI / Skynet / the singularity' - when the robots take over... and made the point that if it hasn't happened already, it's basically coming next Tuesday... the 'robots' don't need to be smarter than us or have better orbital lasers and killer droids... they just have to outsmart our dinosaur brain... Which is basically what the algorithm of every social media system does...

The dumbest form of AI, is our new robot overlord, and it just wants more clicks.

Modern marketing is just the cat now walking us... it's just us having been trained by our 'robot master' to obey and get it clicks. ;)

Drives me nuts to see a game getting sold to me like this, but if I was working in marketing, I'd probably be writing the campaign to do that hype train too... because while SkyNet isn't sending Terminator anytime soon; none of us have escaped ClickNet...

Ugh, you're right. (Sorry for misuse this thread). For me it has already started with the personalized advertisement, which want me to lulls into a bubble, but I like to see different opinions, like in this thread. Even when I highly disagree with what I view/read, it might open my mind for new aspects, which I haven't seen before.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Just to run one step further with this. About 2 years ago listening to a tech podcast while in traffic one of the speakers brought up the notion of 'AI / Skynet / the singularity' - when the robots take over... and made the point that if it hasn't happened already, it's basically coming next Tuesday... the 'robots' don't need to be smarter than us or have better orbital lasers and killer droids... they just have to outsmart our dinosaur brain... Which is basically what the algorithm of every social media system does...

The dumbest form of AI, is our new robot overlord, and it just wants more clicks.

Modern marketing is just the cat now walking us... it's just us having been trained by our 'robot master' to obey and get it clicks. ;)

Drives me nuts to see a game getting sold to me like this, but if I was working in marketing, I'd probably be writing the campaign to do that hype train too... because while SkyNet isn't sending Terminator anytime soon; none of us have escaped ClickNet...
    We do have robot pizza delivery service now:
    Nuro-Dominos-pizza-delivery-robot.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

I remember there were some old Twilight Zone episodes predicting robots taking over the world too.

I always loved The Twilight Zone.
    Funny that we now find ourselves smack dab in the middle of it...
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited May 2021
    Scobre wrote: »

We do have robot pizza delivery service now:
    Nuro-Dominos-pizza-delivery-robot.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

I remember there were some old Twilight Zone episodes predicting robots taking over the world too.

I always loved The Twilight Zone.
    Funny that we now find ourselves smack dab in the middle of it...

Apparently we are living in a holographic universe according to a scientist, so it's nice to create our own Twilight Zones!

I wonder if any Simmer on here can understand this? I had to look up almost every other word as it was all Greek to me!

"The holographic principle states that the entropy of ordinary mass (not just black holes) is also proportional to surface area and not volume; that volume itself is illusory and the universe is really a hologram which is isomorphic to the information "inscribed" on the surface of its boundary." Wikipedia!

How is Sims 5 going to get this right. :DB)>:)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I don't like realism in any of my games. My households are usually Disney, Fanasty & Hybrids. Also, my Prehistoric Biblical household has an altered timeline twist with a mix of Mythology. :D
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    Someone probably said this many many posts back, but I think Sims 4 sims have more personality than Sims 3 sims ever did.
  • Options
    mewo13mewo13 Posts: 60 Member
    There's too many American-centric and Suburban/Rural worlds. We've only got three cities (with the lot sizes, can we even count Del Sol Valley?) and only San Myshuno counts as a proper metropolis.
  • Options
    MagicaCatMagicaCat Posts: 124 Member
    The new hairstyles are hideous and I resent having them forced into my game.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    I wish people here would use the "what happened in your game today" threads instead of starting new threads in the general discussion forum every time their Sims amuse them.

Now THAT'S a truly unpopular opinion!

Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    Let the "insightful" fireballs rain down on me.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Moodlets are not game play...

I think this is why Sentiments and Lifestyles are falling a bit flat for me game play wise. All they really do is give my sims moodlets. Moodlets do nothing for my game play beyond giving me a little icon to read. I think this is also why I don't care for mods like the Slice of Life because all they really do is affect my sims moodlets and I don't actually see what's fun about reading a moodlet. :/

Exactly! We have to read and interpret and imagine the stories instead of them happening naturally...
  • Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »

I think this is why Sentiments and Lifestyles are falling a bit flat for me game play wise. All they really do is give my sims moodlets. Moodlets do nothing for my game play beyond giving me a little icon to read. I think this is also why I don't care for mods like the Slice of Life because all they really do is affect my sims moodlets and I don't actually see what's fun about reading a moodlet. :/

Exactly! We have to read and interpret and imagine the stories instead of them happening naturally...

Huge YES! to all of this. I always avoid mods that add more interactions/moodlets in the game. That's just text telling us what wee need to imagine instead of our sims actually acting this way.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member

I acknowledge this is your opinion on Moodlets but just wanted to show how I sometimes use them to trigger game play. Pics here.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17880839#Comment_17880839
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I am not a fan of rabbit holes and realizing it leads to overactive imagination for woohoo scenarios.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    I'm occult family simmer. I lover there to be a balance between realistic gameplay with supernatural mixed in. But if it's too realistic it becomes boring for me. Sometimes I feel like the loudest voices in the community are realistic gameplay type people that make people like me feel guilty and ignored because my love for occult sims is considered "niche." It's just for me working with occult abilities and causing chaos while having my sims try and live a normal life is much more interesting than playing a regular sim and trying to craft the perfect life.

I agree with this 100%. I play the Sims to have fun, not to have the same old normal life experience. I think TS4 has become to "correct". I notice people asking for handicap caste and other things. I am handicapped and I have no desire what so ever to have My Sims live a boring life like Me. TS4 is to safe and scared of offending anyone or leaving anyone out so it became boring. Dusting? Really? Slap a bigger warning label on it that says it represents fantasy and is user controlled and give us fun interesting content.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited May 2021
    From what I've seen this is very unpopular but I love the aspirations system in 4 and heavily prefer it to the "Lifetime Ambitions" in 3.

I'm a goal based player so it really gives me something to focus on and the "pack tutorial" ambitions that everyone complains about really help me to actually play with packs and have a focus in them. I'm not very creative with gameplay and I like to have goals to work towards, the Sims 3 equivalent goals are too broad and only give you one task which takes a long time whereas the smaller goals that you can gradually progress through in 4 really keep me interested in the game and give a sense of progression.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    From what I've seen this is very unpopular but I love the aspirations system in 4 and heavily prefer it to the "Lifetime Ambitions" in 3.

I'm a goal based player so it really gives me something to focus on and the "pack tutorial" ambitions that everyone complains about really help me to actually play with packs and have a focus in them. I'm not very creative with gameplay and I like to have goals to work towards, the Sims 3 equivalent goals are too broad and only give you one task which takes a long time whereas the smaller goals that you can gradually progress through in 4 really keep me interested in the game and give a sense of progression.

I modded them to be just one long goal. I hate the check lists of trivial interactions.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    I really hope the next GP isn't bands. 🥴
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited May 2021
    I don't see the hype in bands or farming related packs. A band pack will just be repetitive gameplay. Great, you can watch your sim learn an instrument, play it the same 5 songs, and play at "concerts." Woo. A farming pack will just be more things to plant (expanded gardening skill) and if we do get any farm animals, they'll just be objects.
  • Options
    MagicaCatMagicaCat Posts: 124 Member
    I wish they'd make patches optional instead of forcing cr*p I neither want nor need into my game.
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    I like a lot of the base game hairs and don’t want them to be updated. If we could still have the old hair then I wouldn’t care, but I don’t want my sims hair to suddenly change.
  • Options
    KimberlyForSimsKimberlyForSims Posts: 15 Member
    I don't know how unpopular it is, but I've seen a lot of dissenters

It would be better for EA to make a likeness of The Sims Store, as it was in the third part, than to release KITS
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited May 2021
    Onverser wrote: »

I'm also a goal oriented person, but after checking the same goals over and over, now i kind of prefer a big hardest goal that i can achieve in several ways. Like @Sharonia (actually thanks to her) i'm also modding my aspirations to be one only goal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top