Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    Voted. (Though nobody made it easy this month!)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    chluke75chluke75 Posts: 110 Member
    I finished my reading and voting as well. It was definitely difficult. I still have to go back and leave my comments for everyone :smile:
  • Options
    lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    OH MY .. in veterans we have a 2-way tie for 1st a 3-way tie for 2nd and a 5-way tie for 3rd .. we def need a voter push (votes are way down .. from 201 last month to only 143 this month)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    It took me a lonnnnng time to vote a couple days ago as the entries were all worthy in my eyes. I can certainly understand why there are so many ties right now. What happens in the event of ties like this? I'm sure it says in the rules, but I don't remember. Are you the tie-breaker @lisabee2 or do they all end up winning?
  • Options
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    It took me a lonnnnng time to vote a couple days ago as the entries were all worthy in my eyes. I can certainly understand why there are so many ties right now. What happens in the event of ties like this? I'm sure it says in the rules, but I don't remember. Are you the tie-breaker @lisabee2 or do they all end up winning?

I don't have a clue LOL .. I am just hoping it will resolve by tomorrow! Quite frankly I never thought this would happen.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Ah okay, fingers crossed the ties are broken. I remember there were a few ties in the past versions of this challenge too. It's certainly your discretion how to handle it now, but I think they just declared all those tied as winners for the month. *shrugs*
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    OH MY .. in veterans we have a 2-way tie for 1st a 3-way tie for 2nd and a 5-way tie for 3rd .. we def need a voter push (votes are way down .. from 201 last month to only 143 this month)

hahaha! i am not surprised! I felt like voting for all of them, myself. :)

Really, such superb writing!

sometimes, I feel like I vote for the one that is most artful or most well-written. This time, every single story was so well-written, so well illustrated, so carefully created, that I felt like we can just vote for the one we like the most, and each of us will have our own particular styles or subjects we like best--it almost feels arbitrary!

Anyway, it was just lovely to read such excellence! Not surprised at all by ties! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

I don't have a clue LOL .. I am just hoping it will resolve by tomorrow! Quite frankly I never thought this would happen.

I think what the previous iteration did was to award prizes to all of the ties....

That's one option.

Another option would be to have run-off votes, voting between the ties for each position.

I don't think I have a preference or suggestion, really.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

I would prefer to see awards go to all tied winners myself, rather than a run-off vote. It's different in a competition where there's some sort of physical prize to hand out. And while 143 is somewhat less than 201, it's enough that you're not getting ties because of small numbers.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    breckenridgebreckenridge Posts: 44 Member
    I could see a runoff working. If you have a 2-way tie for first, then a runoff would decide 1st and 2nd place. Makes sense to me.
    My newest chapter-based simlit: Cutback.”
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

I think what the previous iteration did was to award prizes to all of the ties....

That's one option.

Another option would be to have run-off votes, voting between the ties for each position.

I don't think I have a preference or suggestion, really.

AND that is prob how it will go (everyone will win the spot they won) .. it is only fair LOL
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options

I would prefer to see awards go to all tied winners myself, rather than a run-off vote. It's different in a competition where there's some sort of physical prize to hand out. And while 143 is somewhat less than 201, it's enough that you're not getting ties because of small numbers.

I agree <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    My votes are in. Man, it was tough. Everyone did such a fantastic job as always.

I’d rather see all the tied winners place instead of having run-off votes. It’s the only fair way, IMO.
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
  • Options
    TheAemaSimmingTheAemaSimming Posts: 2,684 Member
    I don't know if I'm too late but... I voted. Ironically IRL mothering kept me from finishing my short story in time. Hopefully that won't be the case this month but as always I had an amazing experience reading this month's entries!
  • Options
    I think I got all the votes ... I have the blog done but not broadcast far and wide yet (I have an MRI in the early am and need to get myself to bed) What a surprising turn of events .. I had to keep from laughing too loudly (hubs is asleep) when I opened novices ... without further ado .. the blog ... Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge: May 2019 and the Winners Are
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited June 2019
    Congrats to @MenaBuchner, @breckenridge, @MummaSimma, @chluke75, @SoulGal7 (winning 1st place for the second time in a row), @Charliimai, @Zachsims & @Dollyllama108! Everyone did a great job! Thank you so much to everyone who voted for me! Now I'm off to work on June's entry...
    Post edited by divanthesimmer on
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    @lisabee2 Thank you for being you and doing all the things you do for this community. Good luck with your MRI and I hope everything goes well. <3
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Congratulations to the Veteran winners @Charliimai, @Zachsims & @Dollyllama108 and the Novice winners @MenaBuchner, @breckenridge, @MummaSimma, @chluke75 & @divanthesimmer And congrats to everyone who submitted a short story for May. All of the entries were so wonderful it was hard to vote for just three in each category. And thank you to @lisabee2 for hosting this challenge and providing feedback and encouragement. I hope all goes well with the MRI and sending hugs your way.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I was totally stunned that I won 1st place for this story as there were so many wonderful stories submitted for May. I read on the monthly Simlit Challenge blog that "in the veteran’s category, the winner was decided by one vote in the last few hours (we had a 3-way tie for first all day)." Thank you so much to this mystery voter who was the tie-breaker voter and voted for my story. Yes, indeed, each vote counts. I am so proud to have won 1st place two months in a row. Thank you again to everyone who read and voted for my story. I feel honored to be part of this community.
  • Options
    chluke75chluke75 Posts: 110 Member
    Fantastic stories one and all. Congratulations to all those who won, and to everyone who participated. It really was so very difficult to choose just 3. I went back and forth several times on which I was going to pick.
  • Options
    ZachsimsZachsims Posts: 80 Member
    Congratulations to everyone! Again I’m shocked my story placed. Thanks to all who voted. Cheers! :smiley:
  • Options
    sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    Congrats, winners! 😊
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @SoulGal7 you are killing it in this contest! I don't remember you from the original challenge but I'm proud of anyone who can keep up that streak. ;)

Congrats to any other winners, we'll see if June is as cutthroat. :p
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    SoulGal7 wrote: »
    Congratulations to the Veteran winners @Charliimai, @Zachsims & @Dollyllama108 and the Novice winners @MenaBuchner, @breckenridge, @MummaSimma, @chluke75 & @divanthesimmer And congrats to everyone who submitted a short story for May. All of the entries were so wonderful it was hard to vote for just three in each category. And thank you to @lisabee2 for hosting this challenge and providing feedback and encouragement. I hope all goes well with the MRI and sending hugs your way.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I was totally stunned that I won 1st place for this story as there were so many wonderful stories submitted for May. I read on the monthly Simlit Challenge blog that "in the veteran’s category, the winner was decided by one vote in the last few hours (we had a 3-way tie for first all day)." Thank you so much to this mystery voter who was the tie-breaker voter and voted for my story. Yes, indeed, each vote counts. I am so proud to have won 1st place two months in a row. Thank you again to everyone who read and voted for my story. I feel honored to be part of this community.

Congratulations to all as well! It was hard to choose only three! Well done! Looking forward to June’s stories!
  • Options
    Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    Oof, @lisabee2. Good luck with the loud magnets!

Of course, congratulations to this round’s winners, except third place veteran! What an angsty chick! For real, thank you to everyone who voted, including those who didn’t vote for me, for being part of this nurturing and supportive community. It’s an honor for a newcomer like myself to see her name up there!
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Zachsims wrote: »
    Congratulations to everyone! Again I’m shocked my story placed. Thanks to all who voted. Cheers! :smiley:

Your story literally brought tears to my eyes. Your writing style feels so genuine--it's hard not to get pulled in. I've voted for your stories both times. I didn't realize it at first because I try to focus just on the writing, not the writer, when I'm deciding. I think you underestimate how good you are at nailing an authentic voice in your characters. I also liked how subtle the ending was. You let the final screenshot speak for itself, and it was incredibly moving. You 100% deserve to be up there. :)