Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Another magic ideas thread (a little different this time)

I'm sure there have been a lot of these. I thought it might be interesting to take a slightly different angle on this one.

I know magic is something a lot of people want in TS4 and hopefully Maxis will make a pack for it at some point (I can't imagine they wouldn't considering how many clamor for it). I'm also the author of the Sorcerer mod, which some of you use, and one of the hardest things about that mod was trying to figure out how to add a diverse list of interactions that related to the way the sims 4 works.

A lot of magic in storytelling relates to battle (things like manipulation of elements) and the sims isn't exactly a wargame.

So the different angle is basically this... I figured it might be interesting to ask: Those of you who have used the Sorcerer mod or have seen its features, what about it do you think works for the sims? What doesn't? What would you say is missing?

This could be an opportunity to look at a prototype-like implementation of something desired and discuss its strengths and flaws. Perhaps Maxis can glean something helpful for magic implementation from seeing what people think about the mod and how it relates to their desires for magic in the sims 4.

I'll end with this question: If you could choose from any possible magic features for the sims 4, what's the one thing you would choose over anything else? Basically, your most desired feature for magic in ts4.
Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io

Comments

• Options
    IceColdPainIceColdPain Posts: 35 Member
    I would probably want to be able to make potions again, I really miss it from Sims3. Love your mod btw <3
  • Options
    redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
    edited October 2018
    There are some things I miss from packs from farther back than Sims 3. Here are my ideas for Supernatural Pack

Witches
    • Brooms can be used as a vehicle but also to fly around even in varying altitudes
    • Use wands for spells
    • Brew Potions
    • Empower Objects to make charms (Love, Good Luck, Fortune etc.)
    • Can make effigies of other Sims to control them
    • Fortune-telling and Divination
    • Witches Familiars - Ravens, Owls, Black Cats - all with their own NPC actions and powers
    • Can affect the weather
    • Studies to learn new spells
    • Dueling is a skill that increases due to studying, practice and winning duels
    • Alignments (Good, Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Mildly Evil and Wicked)

Updates
    • Doorbells - Different doorbell chimes for different types of homes (Holiday, Spooky, Normal, Posh, Gong)
    • Changeable color on fire in fireplaces and torches
    • Changeable color on water for fountains and pools
    • Grandfather clock chimes and being able to choose the chimes

Create a Sim
    • Warts
    • Wicked Witch Green Skin
    • Fingernails & Toenails - Choose length, Shape, Color which can be set to outfits (Not an accessory but apart of the body) on Werewolves they are represented as claws
    • Werewolf pointed ears
    • Fairy Pointed Ears
    • Werewolf jaw and fangs
    • Werewolf eyes
    • Fairy Wings - Color, Shape, Size

Community Lots
    • Weather unlockables - Hail, Fog in town, Blizzards with deep snow, Frost, Plague of Raining Frogs, Plague of Locusts
    • Magic/Fortune Shop
    • Cemetery - Graves, Mausoleums & Catacombs - Grand Mausoleums can be build and Catacombs can be designed to house nefarious creatures
    • Haunted House and Build pieces for same
    • NPC - Graveyard Caretaker

Grim Reaper Updates
    • If you have Pumpkins outside your house during the Autumn the Grim Reaper may appear at Midnight Ring the Doorbell and then run away
    • If your ghost plays the Grim Reaper in a game of chess and wins he/she gets to live
    • If your Sim is not long for this world he might see the Grim Reaper on a Street especially if the sims is on a trip

Buy
    • Fortune Telling Table - Comes with choice of wood finishes and tablecloth
      1. Crystal Ball Divination
      2. Tarot Cards
      3. Rune Stones
      4. Palmistry
      5. Zodiac Star Charts
      6. Pendulum Map Reading
      7. Reading Tea Leaves
      8. Seances
      9. Ouija Board
    • Spell Book Stand
    • Cauldron for Potions
    • Potion Cabinet
    • Charm Cabinet
    • Magic Mirror
    • Brooms
    • Wands of varying opulence
    • Spindles for spinning magic thread of gold
    • Butterchurn
    • Haunted Suit of Armor
    • Bonehilda
    • Large Rug with the Zodiac Signs
    • More Spooky signs
    • Flickering Haunted Lamp
    • Tattered Drapes
    Post edited by redrogue60 on
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    wolfboi777wolfboi777 Posts: 6 New Member
    > @redrogue60 said:
    > There are some things I miss from packs from farther back than Sims 3. Here are my ideas for Supernatural Pack
    >
    >
    > Witches
    >
    > * Brooms can be used as a vehicle but also to fly around even in varying altitudes
    > * Use wands for spells
    > * Brew Potions
    > * Empower Objects to make charms (Love, Good Luck, Fortune etc.)
    > * Can make effigies of other Sims to control them
    > * Fortune-telling and Divination
    > * Witches Familiars - Ravens, Owls, Black Cats - all with their own NPC actions and powers
    > * Can affect the weather
    > * Studies to learn new spells
    > * Dueling is a skill that increases due to studying, practice and winning duels
    > * Alignments (Good, Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Mildly Evil and Wicked)
    >
    >
    > Updates
    >
    > * Doorbells - Different doorbell chimes for different types of homes (Holiday, Spooky, Normal, Posh, Gong)
    > * Changeable color on fire in fireplaces and torches
    > * Changeable color on water for fountains and pools
    > * Grandfather clock chimes and being able to choose the chimes
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Create a Sim
    >
    > * Warts
    > * Wicked Witch Green Skin
    > * Fingernails & Toenails - Choose length, Shape, Color which can be set to outfits (Not an accessory but apart of the body) on Werewolves they are represented as claws
    > * Werewolf pointed ears
    > * Fairy Pointed Ears
    > * Werewolf jaw and fangs
    > * Werewolf eyes
    > * Fairy Wings - Color, Shape, Size
    > *
    >
    >
    >
    > Community Lots
    >
    > * Weather unlockables - Hail, Fog in town, Blizzards with deep snow, Frost, Plague of Raining Frogs, Plague of Locusts
    > * Magic/Fortune Shop
    > * Cemetery - Graves, Mausoleums & Catacombs - Grand Mausoleums can be build and Catacombs can be designed to house nefarious creatures
    > * Haunted House and Build pieces for same
    > * NPC - Graveyard Caretaker
    >
    >
    > Grim Reaper Updates
    >
    > * If you have Pumpkins outside your house during the Autumn the Grim Reaper may appear at Midnight Ring the Doorbell and then run away
    > * If your ghost plays the Grim Reaper in a game of chess and wins he/she gets to live
    > * If your Sim is not long for this world he might see the Grim Reaper on a Street especially if the sims is on a trip
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Buy
    >
    > * Fortune Telling Table - Comes with choice of wood finishes and tablecloth
    > * Crystal Ball Divination
    > * Tarot Cards
    > * Rune Stones
    > * Palmistry
    > * Zodiac Star Charts
    > * Pendulum Map Reading
    > * Reading Tea Leaves
    > * Seances
    > * Ouija Board
    >
    >
    > * Spell Book Stand
    > * Cauldron for Potions
    > * Potion Cabinet
    > * Charm Cabinet
    > * Magic Mirror
    > * Brooms
    > * Wands of varying opulence
    > * Spindles for spinning magic thread of gold
    > * Butterchurn
    > * Haunted Suit of Armor
    > * Bonehilda
    > * Large Rug with the Zodiac Signs
    > * More Spooky signs
    > * Flickering Haunted Lamp
    > * Tattered Drapes
    > *

i feel like we should also include covens! Also rituals would be super cool. Enchanted items needed you can only obtain from certain witchy rituals :D
  • Options
    TikomoiTikomoi Posts: 10 New Member
    It's been a long time since I played with the mod, I don't remember exactly what was in it and I don't know what was added since then, so my answer might not be the most useful ever, but:

My most desired magic feature for ts4:
    Anything that has to do with selling a magical service. Whether it's an object (a grimoire you wrote, an artifact, a potion, fairy dust or wings...) or a service (spell casting, fortune telling, magic spectacle, "creating life").

Other stuff:

-magic for kids, or even toddler. Not the same as adult magic (it makes sense that kids can't fully use magic) but magic nonetheless. Random combustions because kids don't understand their magic are great, but pretty limited gameplay-wise. I want special kids pretending to cast spell on other sims (and sometimes actually casting a spell, oops!). Magic lesson with older witches, or book studying, which actually improve your magic ability. Using the children science machine in some magic way. Magic extra-curricular lessons, with homework. Maybe even a kid wand with limited ability. I just wish the kids had more magical gameplay.

-that scythe animation (the grim reaper one) when casting a spell. Dunno if it's still there, but I loved it, it's super 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
    I really want to choose which artifact I use for magic. A wand? A scythe? A magic iPad? It's giving our sims a visible personality, and it's allowing us to play with more than one witch aesthetic.

-Another orientation axis than just "bad/good witches". In the mod, it's sports witch, loner witch, and screw-you-i-don't-need-to-eat-or-poop witch. I think it's pretty efficient.
    I just hate playing with mean sims, so I want another way to orient them than by choosing if they are mean or not. And I want that choice to stick. If it sticks, then I have a reason to create more than one witch sims. If not, I'm just going to create one witch sims, try everything and never play with witches ever again.

-A magic deity (llamadeus?) giving you your power and requiring sacrifice. It's adding lore, it's great. Having a way to please that deity which doesn't require you to sacrifice muggle sims. (also being able to please him by sacrificing muggle sims, obviously).

-The possibility of becoming a witch, even if you're just born as a boring muggle sim. Even if it means working harder (and it should be harder!). But I want it to be a little more complex than just buying an item in buy mod and using it, it feels unnatural to me. Not because you get your power from a lump of clay, but because you get it in buy mode.

_ I never used that option, but "creating life" seems like the coolest thing ever????

_A magic city, with shop and magic artifacts.