Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

“Sell all” in Family inventory

Has anyone used this and had it work? For some reason my one Sim had dozens upon dozens of books in his family inventory. I know I’ve changed his bookcases a few times but how he ended up with 72 copies each of every skill book and multiple copies of everything else I don’t know.

I started one book at a time then thought Sell All might be faster. An hour later it was still processing so I gave up.

And why so many skill books?

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't know what's going on with your game, but maybe it has to do with a reset? One of my sims—a cop—has been hard reset by the game three times, and, well...

s8yfc9a.png

I should probably do something about this. One of these days.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,430 Member
    edited July 2018
    If you tend to have a lot of items in your family inventory and try to sell them all at once the game will have a tendency to hang. I've run into this problem a lot too. That's how come I sell large amounts of items in small batches. Otherwise the game will overload and cark up.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    Bookcases come with a few books already included. When you sell or delete a bookcase, I believe its contents tend to get shifted to family inventory. It's not like refrigerators where all fridges on the lot host the same food items that keep getting shifted around, each book is an individual object. Although 72 copies of each (ALL skill books??) sounds awfully extreme, something must have glitched there.

I believe you are not using mods but for those who are, NRaas MasterController and DebugEnabler have Sell commands that work on family inventory, as well as the ability to force Delete (Flush) items like this that never should have ended up there in the first place and they work much more reliably than the built-in Sell All command on large inventories.

Off topic I guess, but I once had a new household move into a house and found something like 70 books of all different kinds, that was total not 70 of each title, in the mailbox! I think the old lady who used to live there long ago must have had the Bookworm trait, belonged to the book club and got a new one sent to her every week, but never checked her mail (sad). Or the book club kept sending them to her long after she passed away. This household was just starting out and had very little cash, so I force deleted over half of the books since it seemed cheaty to sell them, perhaps I should have found a way to donate them to the public library. The rest they kept so they could at least have some nice reading material until they could later afford a television that performed well enough to not drive anyone crazy who tried to watch it. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 557 Member
    @puzzlezaddict I have a sim that was a doctor and so was his father. When his dad died, the pager was put into the son's inventory. Then he quit his job for a while and went back into it, so when he was promoted to the level where you get the pagee, he got yet another one. He has 3 pagers and I can't sell them. He just died recently, and I forgot to check if his son inherited the pagers. Lol not sure how to get rid of them!
    The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

It all started with Zack & Blair....

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    @MKSizzle - If you wish to try this, on the ground of the lot or its map tag, NRaas > MC > Object Stats > Inventory (or Active), find the pagers on the list if they do show up, and select to flush them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 557 Member
    Thanks @igazor why didn't I think of that? Lol.
    The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

It all started with Zack & Blair....

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    I use Master Controller to move things to and from the family inventory. Once the books are all in the family inventory there is a command on the bookcase to put all books from the family inventory away. Not sure if that's from a mod or not.

To get them from a sim's inventory to family inventory I activate the sim, click on the roof, choose NRAAS > Master Controller > To

Only useful if you want to keep the books though.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I don't know what's going on with your game, but maybe it has to do with a reset? One of my sims—a cop—has been hard reset by the game three times, and, well...

s8yfc9a.png

I should probably do something about this. One of these days.

Yes, all my policemen/women have multiple pagers!

• Options
    If you tend to have a lot of items in your family inventory and try to sell them all at once the game will have a tendency to hang. I've run into this problem a lot too. That's how come I sell large amounts of items in small batches. Otherwise the game will overload and cark up.

I finally resorted to doing one item at a time but haven't touched the skill books. At least I got rid of most of them.

• Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've sometimes used storage to get rid of things in the sim's inventory instead of selling it.I do have them sell garden produce in my new game though since nobody's got a job yet and they've still got no house on their home lot.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Sell All uses actual available floor space to (invisibly) drop and then delete the items. If you are on a small, crowded lot, yes, it can spin for a long time. It also helps not to be low on free memory.
  • Options
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Sell All uses actual available floor space to (invisibly) drop and then delete the items. If you are on a small, crowded lot, yes, it can spin for a long time. It also helps not to be low on free memory.

It’s a 30 x 40 lot. I was in the middle of redoing the house so furniture and stuff all over the lot otherwise lots of memory. I had no idea it was looking to place the books on the lot, invisible or otherwise.

I’d prefer it not to move books into family inventory every time I replace a bookcase.