Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The pros and cons of playing with aging on or off

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    creedlescreedles Posts: 60 Member
    > @ambrown said:
    > @creedles your game sounds so interesting, do you make stories from it and post them?

Thank you! I have never posted anything before, because I always worried nobody would look. I don't know how to post stuff, but I shall try to sometime but I'l tell you about my current game. right now in my current game, the year is 2047, it was 2046 but just had in game new year's thanks to Seasons.
    My current family is the Cooper Family which spawned from generations before. Thomas and Angelica Cooper and their 3 children, Melinda, and twins Tommy and Shauna. Melinda is the oldest. Thomas, the father died with all his friends in the jungle while exploring a temple, leaving Angelica widowed, 6 years later, in 1995, Shauna died from Pufferfish when she was 8 years old. Tommy and Melinda were traumatized, but Melinda was most traumatized since she cooked it, Melinda was 15 when she accidentally poisoned her younger sister. Angelica died a month later when she was electrocuted by a broken computer. Melinda and Tommy lived with their grandparents after that. 8 years later, in 2003, Melinda moved out and Tommy's grandfather died from laughter. His aunt and 12-year-old cousin moved in with him and his grandmother, but unfortunately everyone caught Rabid Rodent Fever, everyone died from the illness, except for Tommy who was the sole survivor and recovered from the illness. Tommy was put into group home for troubled teenage boys, and only a couple weeks into his stay, one of the other boys snapped and murdered all the other boys and staff members (extreme violence mod), Tommy killed the boy in self defense. 12 years later, in 2015, Melinda was married and had son named Rory, and Tommy was modeling for art students. Tommy had a girlfriend and went with her and her friends to the jungle to explore a temple, the group of 8 ventured through the perilous jungle, and by the time they got to the jungle only 4 of them were left, inside the temple the remain 3 died from fire and electrocution and Tommy's girlfriend was poisoned. Tommy was again the sole survivor and got survivor's guilt, and moved into a trailer in New Crest. 9 years later, in 2024, Melinda was living happily with her husband, 12-year-old Rory and 9-year-old Danny. 37-year-old Tommy was divorced, had an 8-year-old daughter named Trinity who didn't live with him, still modeling and selling paintings for money when he met a mysterious young woman named Alice Braun, who he had woo-hoo with. After that the mysterious woman bit Tommy and turned him into a vampire, against his will. Tommy is a genius and perfectionist which made him learn his vampire powers quickly and he was soon a grandmaster vampire in only 2 days. He kept his vampirism a secret from Melinda, but Melinda remembered her father's brother Stanley who was also a vampire, and had also been Alice's boyfriend back in 1989. Stanley died in 2003 when he was slain by a vengeful man whose wife was murdered by Stanley. Tommy refused to drink blood from other sims and lived on blood packs. His new girlfriend was fascinated by vampires and had suspicions that he was one, he begged her to make her a vampire, but he refused. Alice's younger sister Wendy showed up and made Tommy girlfriend into a vampire, however the girl got carried away and began violently drinking blood from many people on the street, the sun came out and the girl died from sunlight, Tommy was devastated. When Trinity's mom and step father were killed by Alice, Trinity went to live with Tommy who she was very fond of. Trinity begged Tommy to adopt a girl her age so she could have a sister, so she wouldn't be the only girl when she played with Rory and Danny. Tommy adopted an 8-year-old girl named Justine who ended up dying only a week later on Christmas Eve after being frozen in the snow. 8 years later, in 2032, Trinity then 16, became fascinated by the occult and after witnessing Tommy use his powers to make his annoying neighbors pee themselves, Trinity begged to become a vampire, Tommy refused and Trinity was later visited by Wendy, and turned into a vampire, unlike Tommy who was immune to sunlight, Trinity was not and she died only a couple days later from being turned to ashes when trying to hang out with Rory and Danny in the daylight, leaving Tommy and his nephews distraught. 20-year-old Rory was bitten by Alice and turned into a vampire against his will while attending a college party, Rory had the same powers like Tommy but was killed by his roommate after Rory killed his girlfriend and his other friends. Melinda's husband Frank died shortly after Rory, leaving Melinda distraught and rapidly changing her mental state. In 2033, Melinda remarried, but her new husband caught Rabid Rodent Fever and died, Melinda went insane and murdered her 12-year-old twin step daughters and then forced Danny to murder his girlfriend. 13 years later, in 2046, Melinda had married 3 more times and murdered all her husbands and any of their children. Danny had a wife named Olfina and a son and daughter. Olfina got pregnant in early 2047 and gave birth to a son, but it was not Danny's it was the neighbor across the street, who Olfina has been having secret affairs with in the bushes outside every night for the last year. Danny sneaks out every Saturday night to murder neighbors who he finds to be annoying. That is where my game is at now.
  • Options
    Nephesh_SpiritNephesh_Spirit Posts: 254 Member
    I play with aging on and I think I have it set at normal. I like seeing life happen and family grow by new generations. Most of the time I will let them age naturally once in a while I might age them sooner. I have one sim I am thinking of aging her to elder she still has like 12 days. Her husband passed of old age already. They were roughly the same age but they had seven kids which increased her lifespan. I find in most cases when I have a sim die of old age which is the majority of the time I am ready for them to pass on.
    The Lockwood Family Tree

• Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    I always play with aging on but, I mainly play with vampires so it doesn't really matter. Even if I trying to start a save with the intention of not playing a vampire the main sim will almost always inevitably become a vampire and I use the deaths of their friends and family as a story plot with my vampire becoming more and more depressed as they outlive generations of sims.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    DYWBeeDYWBee Posts: 34 Member
    With my rotational save, I play with aging on for active household only - as I want to see a natural progression as I'm playing it, but I don't want things to change in other households while I'm not managing them and making that decision. Also if they all die while I'm playing other households that's it. I really miss story progression from sims 3 sometimes, but hey ho.

When I'm playing a legacy challenge I have aging on for everyone. I like the sense of urgency and the realistic chance that not all sims will complete their goals and objectives in their lifetime. It makes for more interesting gameplay.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @creedles Please start a thread of your own for your story instead of going off topic in someone else's, thank you :)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I turn aging off because I like to play my worlds like TV sitcoms, where the characters are basically static over the years.
  • Options
    SimmerSamSimmerSam Posts: 73 Member
    I always play with aging off. I like to play the game/families at my own pace without worrying about not accomplishing certain things before a sim gets too old/dies. For me that just makes the game more stressful lol. I also like to play multiple houses at a time, so I don't want the ones I'm currently not playing to age while I'm away. I age them up with birthday cakes when I'm ready
  • Options
    > @Nindigo said:
    > @creedles Please start a thread of your own for your story instead of going off topic in someone else's, thank you :)

I'm sorry...
  • Options
    VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    I play with aging on with long lifespans. I will hasten an age up for some sims and kill off others.
  • Options
    slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    for me iplay with aging off until im ready to age them up
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    I play with aging off mostly to have more time for completing goals. I also play a bit rotationally so I just turn off aging to prevent too much stress for me :D

All in all, I play much like you, op. However, I sometimes turn aging on when my sims completed everything I've planned for them. I will then usually wait until everyone aged up and then turn it off again.

This is exactly what I do!
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    @creedles AWE-SOME! If you ever do a blog, with pictures and stories plz let me know!!!
    you're ele-phantastic
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,693 Member
    This far I've been playing with aging off, manually trigging their birthdays according to my own time span notes.

With Seasons it is no longer possible to age up elders, so I was forced to change everything. I still play with aging off, but every year on new year's eve, I turn aging on for one day. This way I add realism, and because I only play 7 days seasons, the auto agings don't feel rushing my game. Periodically (say if making a movie or doing a special story/project, even testing new game content) I will skip turning aging on even if the calendar shows new year.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ambrown wrote: »
    @creedles AWE-SOME! If you ever do a blog, with pictures and stories plz let me know!!!

I will when I figure out how to post pictures in posts on here :)
  • Options
    UnknownGamerUnknownGamer Posts: 77 Member
    I populate my town with my own sims, and then turn ageing off for everyone except active household. I find that the town becomes rather desolate if you let all the premades die out.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    I play with aging off because I don't like to hurry. In my game, toddlers eventually get aged up to children, children to teens and teens to young adults, but I am yet to age a sim past that. I don't want for the premades to die off ( had to let it happen in a challenge with aging on, hated it, never again), so they remain frozen in time. I may consider turning aging on if my save gets too crowded, though.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I can't imagine I'd enjoy playing with aging off. The number one reason I didn't like the first Sims game was because it had no aging. It seems so anti life simulation to me to have no natural life cycle. I always have my life setting on the longest so I can keep my sims around for a long time but still have them age naturally as time moves on.
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Aging off keeps all the premades, who are all rather colorful characters.
    With aging most of them inevitably die, but it gives the opportunity for someone new to rise.
    And sometimes game creates awesome sims.
    This, along with Command Center, is the main way for me to keep the game interesting.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    I play with aging on with custom lifespans via MCCC.

My aging scale is rather close to long lifespan but a bit shorter in a few age groups. Seasons are 14 days.

I turn aging off if I want a sim to experience something in that current age group and their birthday is close for example teens for their first love day if they have a partner or a toddler’s first Halloween or Winterfest.

Soon, I will start rotations play so aging off for a bit expected active house then on for a bit so townies can catch up.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I play with aging off because I simply hate the pressure of having to accomplish this and that before my sims age up. Also, normal lifespan is too short and Long lifespan is too long for me.

I just play with aging off and, when I feel like my sims are ready to age up, I turn aging on short lifespan (I could just age them by blowing candles, but I like the sims out of my household to age as well). Then I turn aging off again.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I always play with aging on. I like to see my family tree grow and the timing (i set always to normal) makes the challenge harder.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Both, some files are on and some off. I might like off a little bit more, but it's very very close. When I DO have it on, I prefer it on long or an even longer custom setting though.
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    edited March 2020
    I play with aging off for all played households as I have lots of extended families and like for them to progress at my speed, I.e when I want to play and progress their stories. I don’t like feeling rushed to accomplish goals. The townies and premades have aging on because their younger generations provide friends and possible love interests for my sims.

I think it just depends on your play style. I look at a lot of people’s stories and find that it can also be fun to play on normal life span. I have to try it someday soon lol
  • Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    We all play differently. I play with aging off always, because I enjoy sticking with the same Sims and continue their story and life at my own laid back pace. If I need kids to age up, they do so by cake. But no one ever dies in my game unless I make it happen. And that suits me perfectly.

Same, like exactly the same. Each and every word in those few sentences could have been written by me. Or maybe you weren't writing about you, but about me. Yes, all that text is about me. It must be because I can totally relate. :)

• Options
    columbia93columbia93 Posts: 319 Member
    I just bought this game a couple of months ago - really resisted but at this price.... So I'm playing Newcrest at normal and finding it difficult to make friends, let alone romance and family. I've rotated through all my families to make sure they have homes I like, clothing I like, jobs I like, etc. Back to "my" Sim and I finally get her married and a baby. Suddenly, my husband is getting older and I notice most of the NH is getting older. Next thing ya know, I've got nothing but elderly, single Sims. NOOOOOO!

So, found a piece on how to adjust the aging length through adjusting a file. Then got MCCC, turned the aging off and went through the NH and set all my Sims back to their first life stage and adjusted the time a bit so they are different ages within that group. Then I went through each one and got them all married off with families....and don't get to spend enough time with "my" Sim because of this.

So, how I play it now..... I like aging, although I was so sad the first time my sim became an elder in TS3. TS4, however, is so very different. They have free will but apparently they have little will. Unlike TS3, they aren't that interested in meeting others without my intervention. They don't get married. They don't even have children. So, I turn aging off and on as I wander the NH, as well as Willow Creek and Oasis Springs (?), doing for each Sim what they are unable or unwilling to do for themselves. I prefer TS3 but I oddly find the issues with TS4 somewhat challenging and find myself returning to run the circle of all 3 NHs just to keep them moving along, if not in time, at least through deeds. But I do miss my own little simmies and am always stressed that they'll age without me while I'm off doing what this silly version just won't do on it's own!