Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2,3, and 4 On Mac

I’m planning on buying a MacBook Pro 13 inch before I leave for school next fall. However, one part that goes into the laptop buying process is whether or not it will run Sims efficiently. I have several DLC’s for each games. Another concern I have is that I bought all of the games on a windows laptop, they were all digital download off of origin except for the Sims 4 base game. Will I be able to play on Mac even though they were downloaded for windows?

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    The Sims 2 is not available from EA for Mac; you'll have to download the Aspyr port of Sims 2, The Sims 2 Complete Edition (I think). It doesn't have the last two EPs (Free Time and Apartment Life) because EA wouldn't let Aspyr port those for some reason so you don't get hobbies, apartments or witches, plus you miss a lot of the SPs.

The Sims 3 should download fine on the Mac no matter whether you originally bought on PC or Mac. Be aware though that Sims 3 is not natively coded for Mac; it runs under an emulator so there are a lot of bugs associated with that, and your Macbook Pro might not be powerful enough. Check the specs thoroughly when buying, and you might want to be careful when buying Store content. I'd also suggest installing the Overwatch mod from NRaas (http://nraas.wikispaces.com/) at a very minimum as it helps control a lot of the features that can lead to save bloat and corruption. Master Controller might be a good edition as well as you can adjust some of the other features that contribute to bload/corruption.

The Sims 4 should run fine on a Macbook Pro, because they added native Mac coding about 6 months or so after the base game was released and all packs and patches contain the updates. Again, check specs especially for graphics; it's been a while since I've played on a Mac and I'm not sure if that model has a dedicated graphics card or if it uses the Intel integrated graphics which are very questionable for handling Sims 4 graphics needs.

Enjoy -- I've adjusted to Windoze but I miss my Mac. :'(
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    There is an entire section in the Legacy game section of this forum dedicated to Sims 3. However, most MacBooks do not run Sims 3 well although some people have been able to get it to run. Some have been able to get the game to run, but without Seasons and Pets as these are very graphic and resource intensive EPs and MacBooks are not made to handle something like this.

As @stilljustme2 said, not all of Sims 2 was ported to the Mac due to licensing agreements between EA and Aspyr so we only have part of the port. You would purchase that through the App Store and Aspyr has made it compatible with current Macs. You will get everything from Base Game to Bon Voyage and the Family Fun Stuff Pack, the Glamour Life SP and the Holiday SP.

Sims 4 runs fine on any Mac.

You would only have to purchase Sims 2 again as long as everything else was registered through Origin.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.