Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Vampires worth it?

Hello guys.

I have been debating getting Vampires for a while now, but I am not fully sure if I want to get it. I do not like the idea of vampires at all and will most likely not be playing with them, but I really like the items that come with the pack.

I have also read some threads about vampires breaking into their sims homes and turning them into vampires? I very much would not like that to happen lol.

So yeah, if I just want vampires for the items and not for vampires themselves, is it worth getting the pack?
webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif

Comments

• Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Random vampires cannot turn your Sim into a vampire. At worst they break in, drink from your Sim and disrupt their sleep. I rarely have this happen and it seems to be easily diminished by NOT introducing your sim to any vampires, and for me the more annoying part is when a vampire "breaks in" to a community lot because they stay and drink at the bar or something while the game refuses to let you go home until they leave.

The main question to ask yourself is this: do you want your Sims to have a little more personality and diversity? That is the selling point that makes vampires potentially worth it even if you don't like supernatural aspects. The ability to choose powers and weaknesses makes the Sims far more customizable than the actual personality traits. This game suffers from very weaksauce personality traits that often aren't even noticeable, but because the vampire powers are things like not needing to shower, being able to instantly seduce anyone of the opposite gender, very powerful moodlets for things like Sun Phobia or drinking from a Sim without permission if you have a morally good Sim that hates doing so (the moodlets tend to be a minimum of +3 and as high as +10, thus overriding happy moodlet spam with ease), this means the vampires actually tend to have more personality than all of the base game traits combined.

I would take a look at the powers and ask yourself if it sounds like things that you could make diverse Sims with that you enjoy playing. If so, you may find you're now willing to get over any dislike of supernatural aspects simply because the quality of the game and sim diversity spikes. If you're still unsure, then understand that WORST case scenario, the vampires break into home, drink from your sim to disturb their sleep, and sometimes prevent you from leaving a community lot. (though this is a bug that they should honestly fix) You can even diminish the frequency of those by simply never introducing yourself to vamps or associating with them, as well as moving out and deleting the two preset families.

I'll also just add I used to hate Supernaturals too. I wanted realism. Since Sims 3's pack though, I've changed my tone because quite frankly I think supernaturals and other lifestates over tremendous potential for gameplay and variety, so I'm more than willing to compromise some realism for that.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    MelpomenaMelpomena Posts: 207 Member
    edited December 2017
    I will add to the very good and complete comment here above, that I go to the families management tool using cas.fulleditmode and change the vampires skin color to grey and undo their specific makeups and facial vampires traits, so when my sims encounter them I know it's a vampire without the vampire's looks and keep away from speaking to them.

I do play with vampires, but for some families I wish a more realistic way of playing. So, for these families, I see vampires as some kind of freaks, and when they break in (very occasionally) I just pretend it's like a home invasion from some sort of a weardo.

To me vampires (violent) and aliens (hiding who they really are) are metaphors to the kind of people I wouldn't want to have in my life.
  • Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    To me, Vampires was worth the money. I love the CAS and Build/Buy, plus Caleb Vatore is adorable to boot :)
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    If you don't mind using mods, MCCC has a few options that suppress unwanted vampire interactions. Vampires can't turn sims involuntarily, so you won't be overrun with them like we were in TS3 supernatural.

Vampire lore skill is easy to level up through books, and if you put some garlic braids in your house, vamps won't be able to drink from your sims. Even if they do, it only gives a minor uncomfortable moodlet, so it isn't gamebreaking if one slips through before you get your garlic placed. Vampire break ins are rare in any case. The more annoying issue is that vampires will sometimes prevent Sims from leaving public lots.

As for value, that's subjective. To me, there isn't enough in the pack to justify its price without the vampire gameplay. If you like the gothic themed deco, your mileage may vary. I recommend doing the early tiers of the new aspirations, though. They are a relatively easy way to get some early game points. None of the aspirations can be completed by non-vamps, but some of the early objectives are available to normal sims.

One note though. The Vamp pack is buggy, and it may bring some issues into your game. Most of the gamebreakers have been fixed, but there are still a few unsquashed minor annoyances.
  • Options
    NiaraTiaraNiaraTiara Posts: 120 Member
    If you're the kind of person who gets annoyed seeing anything supernatural in the game, then I say skip the pack.
    If you don't mind vampires breaking in every once in a while, then I say go for it.
    Vampire home invasions don't happen very frequently, but they do happen. So keep that in mind if you mostly play for realism.
    Let there be Fairies! o:)
  • Options
    NiaraTiaraNiaraTiara Posts: 120 Member
    > @meubanks said:
    > If you don't mind using mods, MCCC has a few options that suppress unwanted vampire interactions.

Oh yeah, good point- I forgot about mods! There may be some downloads out there that can squash stuff like vampire invasions.
    Still, if you're only buying this pack for the CAS and build mode objects, I'd say wait for a sale. Most of the content is directly related to the vampires themselves.
    Let there be Fairies! o:)
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    NiaraTiara wrote: »
    > @meubanks said:
    > If you don't mind using mods, MCCC has a few options that suppress unwanted vampire interactions.

Oh yeah, good point- I forgot about mods! There may be some downloads out there that can squash stuff like vampire invasions.
    Still, if you're only buying this pack for the CAS and build mode objects, I'd say wait for a sale. Most of the content is directly related to the vampires themselves.

After all, it is called Vampires game pack. ;)

All in all, I originally bought the pack for the vampires, I read about them, what they could do, and how much better they were than the previous versions; but most of all I fell in love with the build/buy mode items, where more classical items were really missing before or lacking, the game pack offers many of the things that were missing. These days when I'm not playing the vampires themselves, I rarely get any unwanted break-ins from vampires at all! Other studies show that the trigger to start the break-ins happens when you start researching vampire lore, and certainly not whether you're best buds with a vamp, bc I have many normal Sims who have vampiric friends and almost never get break-ins.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    I didn't expect these comments. Thanks so much for the help everyone!
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    NiaraTiara wrote: »
    > @meubanks said:

Its on sale now, 25% off I believe?
  • Options
    LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    Hmm I don't think so, the main focus of the pack are the vampires itself, it must be hollow and overpriced to get it just for the items. But if you like to build or have specific ideas that fit the pack, go for it I guess.

The build/buy items have some neutral swatches you could use on a normal house, like pink, gray and cream tones for furniture. The counters only have 3 swatches that don't even match the bar, which is a little disappointing. And there's the run down stuff which is great and much needed if you want to build anything other than american dream houses. It goes really well with City Living stuff. The wood flooring is great too.

And about CAS, you could use some of the modern/rebellious vampire stuff.

But in my opinion for what it's worth, everything else is pretty niched and centered around the goth theme, I don't see much use of most of the pack in a realistic gameplay. CAS stuff are mostly excessive, same goes for the world itself and the objects, like the bed, wallpapers, goth crib, bat toy and so on. Besides vampiric history, the only other skill available is the pipe organ and I think normal sims don't like it anyway, they get tense because the music is too macabre. You could make it work if you want to build a church though haha

So from my perspective, it's too little for the price you would pay if you don't plan to play with vampires or with the goth theme. Also there's some 50% sales!
  • Options
    HeidrHeidr Posts: 148 Member
    Vampires are nice, they add plenty of new features and furniture (Aye, because gothic furniture are nice to play with). Another thing is that vampires allow you to create plenty of variation with additional options in CAS. Their fashion is not goofy and some are even looking so good on Sims.

I myself have been using the ears of vampire to make an Elf-ish human lol.

duSyxlI.png

Kinda funny and awkward with the vampiric animation (specifically the rawr idle animation and the way she has to pick vampire weakness, lol) but with a few mod tweaks, she looks less vampiric.
  • Options
    cedesdccedesdc Posts: 93 Member
    I love the vampire items!! If anything, you can probably delete the vampire nps from household management and avoid going to their world, that way they shouldn't really spawn and effect your game!
  • Options
    ReneeSueReneeSue Posts: 17 Member
    I've been debating it as well, I wish you could just disable the vampires although I do like vampires but with sims 3 supernatural everyone in the town became zombies if I played another family. I'm afraid it would be the same thing.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,310 Member
    ReneeSue wrote: »
    I've been debating it as well, I wish you could just disable the vampires although I do like vampires but with sims 3 supernatural everyone in the town became zombies if I played another family. I'm afraid it would be the same thing.

That won't happen. The game may produce new vampires, but they won't go around turning existing sims into vampires.
  • Options
    AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    Okay 1: I absolutely ADORE your signature. Spot on xD
    2: The gameplay is boring, it doesn't add anything that'll keep you hooked onto the game for longer than a couple of days maybe, and since you only want the items, I'm sure there's a bunch of CC to do that for you ^^
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    AuzzPanda wrote: »
    Okay 1: I absolutely ADORE your signature. Spot on xD
    2: The gameplay is boring, it doesn't add anything that'll keep you hooked onto the game for longer than a couple of days maybe, and since you only want the items, I'm sure there's a bunch of CC to do that for you ^^

I've had exactly the opposite experience. I've been playing vampires since they came out and enjoy them just as much as I did at the beginning.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is this: If you want vampires, yes, it's worth it.
  • Options
    j3n1ynj3n1yn Posts: 70 Member
    I never did get vampires. I like to play realistic sims and so vampires just don't fit into my gameplay. Also, I'm not a fan of the goth style. My niece has the game pack. I checked it out and came to the conclusion that, I myself, am not missing out lol
  • Options
    gabriel gsl9gabriel gsl9 Posts: 24 Member
    Not in Brazil, where the prices get absurd today.
  • Options
    TeoKnowsBestTeoKnowsBest Posts: 81 Member
    For me, the Vampires game pack was 100% worth the money, but I guess it depends on your tastes because I am a big fan of vampires (especially The Vampire Diaries) and of supernatural creatures. The pack really does it's jobs, vampires have awesome abilities, but playing with them too much will make it kinda boring, especially when some of the weaknesses make it a PAIN to drink plasma. Also, it's fun to have at least one vampire in your household and if you get bored of it, "store" it in a coffin with the "hibernate" option. That way, they'll only wake up when you tell them to and their needs won't decay at all.

If you don't want vampires to break in (or to at least NOT drink from your sim), place some garlic. It will give them a debuff that won't let them feed, and if your sim resists to a vampire, they'll get a 2 hours moodlet that won't let vampires drink from that sim.

I say it's worth it. The items are pretty great too.

Origin: TeoKnowsBest
  • Options
    ZeoZeo Posts: 9 New Member
    I gave a try and made my Sim a vampire, I found that It is very fun! Buuuuuuuuuuuut the major problem are to feed, plasma packs, plasma fruits and plasma salad fruit don't feed you very well and you have to reapeat those foods all the time, this is a letdown if youre already used to play with a Sim, with max Cooking and the "no hunger" perk.

While you can feed of other Sims, it's totally not immersive, as they and the bystanders really don't care if there are a vampire nearby sucking the blood of the others, It should be more sneaky, I don't see the point of vampire form because It really doesn't matters.

What I wish to see in this pack for It to shine: more dishes for vampires, your vampire secret identity should matters, Sims disliking and afraid of you if they know that youre a vampire, have some kind of spell to make a Sim your troll.
  • Options
    CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    Well, I bought it for the build/buy items and I use the one floor all of the time, but this is not my favorite pack. Forgotten Hollow is a very small world and it doesn't really appeal to me. I find the vampires more irritating than not. It's so annoying to have vampires constantly hanging out like stalkers on my sims' lots. And yes, I know you can lock doors, but it doesn't work if your sim is in a tent or if Vlad is nearby. Also, every time my sims get bitten, it's 24 hours of a moodlet that's inconvenient.

So had I to do it again, I would not have bought it.

But YMMV and I know people who really like the supernatural aspect of the pack.
  • Options
    GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    I was really excited when I heard that the Vampires are coming to the sims 4. I bought and loved it instantly. I found the pack really enjoying as a supernatural fan. But if you are not into the dark or supernatural things I would not recommend it to you because the pack is based on the vampires itself so maybe you would not like it.

Another lovely thing is that you can really create different vampires each one having different personalities like the gentle and the evil ones. Ranking system, powers and weaknesses are adding depth into the game.

Also the vampires are not effective for your human sims as long as don't interact with them so they don't bother you, you can also use garlic braids to defend your sim if needed.

In my opininon it worths the money you pay.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    If I fancy a bit of chaos, I play the vampires. Love causing deaths of game-generated sims. One of my favourites is to make pufferfish and deprive them of hunger so they eat the pufferfish and die!
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 674 Member
    No it is not imo because then u buy a stuff pack for double price. I wasnt very intetested in the vampire element either though, but i find this game pack amusing nonetheless. I actually think its the best game pack out of all.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Except it isn't a stuff pack. It is a game pack which adds a new life state and extensive new options for playing that life state, and it has the build/buy mode items to create the aesthetic. If you only wanted the items, then yes, you paid more than you would have if those items were in a stuff pack without the vampire life state itself; but whether you are interested in them or not, what you bought when you purchased "Vampires" is vampires.