Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims freezes

Hi everyone!

I started playing the Sims 3 again the last week. I spent a lot of time building a home for 2 of my Sims. As long as I was building, the game didn't freeze. But now I want to play with my sims, they seem to freeze like every 30 seconds.

Does anyone know why this might happen?

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    There are a lot of reasons why this can happen ranging from poorly made worlds (which world are you playing in?), or one that is over-populated, a computer unable to handle the game or all of the EPs you are playing, or issues on the home lot.

If you start a new test game apart from this one in a world known to be pretty much free of severe routing issues, such as Sunset Valley, Riverview, or Twinbrook, and just grab some pre-made sims to play for a short while without all of the building, does the game behave better?

Does it help at all if you clear the five cache files in your TS3 user game folder in Documents before starting up the game?

If you get the same lag and freezes in a usually safe to play world, we would want to know more about the specs of the computer you are playing on and how many/which EPs you have in play.
    https://help.ea.com/en-au/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

I would also suggest checking this lot you've created for them with the buydebug cheat on. An extreme overabundance of usually not visible things like spawners, sometimes totally not intentional, will kill performance on just about any lot.

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    XxIesjuhXxIesjuh Posts: 78 Member
    @igazor Thank you for the help! I don't have to time to open the game right now, but I will keep you updated
  • Options
    XxIesjuhXxIesjuh Posts: 78 Member
    @igazor Okay, so i found out my lot is corrupted for some reason. Because when I choose a default family in the same world I built my custom lot in, the game works just fine.

I cleared my caches, only selected 2 EP's and used the buydebug cheat, but nothing works. I did find out there is a buydebug block on my lot I can't remove.

Anyway, I did load my lot with a lot of furniture (it's a castle), and I used moveobjects several times. Perhaps that has something to do with it?
  • Options
    I don't know what a buydebug block could be, but yes it's good that you have narrowed the problem down to that one custom created lot. Overuse and misuse of tricks like MoveObjectOn, ConstrainFloorElevation, etc. can indeed make lots unplayable. It might be best if you set that lot aside, saved to the bin if wanted to perhaps dissect or get assistance with later, but get rid of it in your actual game, and try again?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    bev6usabev6usa Posts: 10 New Member
    I can't figure out how to make my own post so I have a similar situation. The sims 3 my family's pet is stuck and is to the point of being taken by the social worker or dieng. It's almost all the way down the red on everything. Can someone please help me?
  • Options
    bev6usa wrote: »
    I can't figure out how to make my own post so I have a similar situation. The sims 3 my family's pet is stuck and is to the point of being taken by the social worker or dieng. It's almost all the way down the red on everything. Can someone please help me?
    Can you not just reset the pet so that they are no longer stuck and then take care if its needs if they don't replenish themselves?

Ctrl+Shift+C to bring up the cheats console.
    Type resetsim (first name) (last name) (enter).

So if the pet's name is Spot Smith, type
    resetsim spot smith (enter)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Chi5678Chi5678 Posts: 268 Member
    > @bev6usa said:
    > I can't figure out how to make my own post so I have a similar situation. The sims 3 my family's pet is stuck and is to the point of being taken by the social worker or dieng. It's almost all the way down the red on everything. Can someone please help me?

Also, you can use the "testingcheatsenabled true" cheat and shift click the mail box and choose "make all happy" to replenish the needs first if you're unable to get the pet unstuck in time.
    hLhdCsO.jpg
  • Options
    How do you use the cheat to make all happy? I tried to click shift and the mailbox but nothing happened
  • Options
    > @bev6usa said:
    > How do you use the cheat to make all happy? I tried to click shift and the mailbox but nothing happened

You have to do ctrl+shift+c first and type "testingcheatsenabled true", then you'll have the option to make all happy.
    hLhdCsO.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    According to what they just posted on my wall, @bev6usa is unable to use the key combo to bring up the cheats console. That's going to make things like this much more difficult to work through. NRaas Overwatch will allow for cheat commands to run in a different way, if one is not averse to using mods. Or the sim in question could be reset by way of NRaas MasterController.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    That would make things a bit difficult, wouldn't it? Why isn't the key combo working though? I'd be interested to know.
    hLhdCsO.jpg
  • Options
    I wish I knew. Your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    Thanks for trying to help me. I tried running a repair but it didn't help. I think I'm going to have to contact origin
  • Options
    If you could, check out your Windows Assistive Technology or Ease of Access settings. There are some options in there that could be commandeering the Ctrl+Shift+C combo and making it try to do something else totally apart from the game. Or it could be a "feature" of your brand of computer or keyboard, or a software package that came with it, if you have control panel apps to explore those.

Every once in a while, one of my users at work (not always the same one) will sit there in the middle of typing, thinking for a few minutes, and will absent-mindedly tap the shift key around ten times. That can bring up an Ease of Access (this is Win 7, not 10) command, with Windows thinking that the user is differently-abled and is trying to do something else entirely. It could be something well meaning but misguided like that getting in the way. Or it coul;d even be something else, like video recording software, that is trying to engage when the key combo is detected.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!