Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Information needed on Ts3 and Ts4 installation/Play with a disc drive.

Hello fellow Simmers! (^‿^)/ *ѕmɪle & wave*
I should probably know the answer to this question, but I do not, so please forgive my ignorance (*^‿^*) *blush*
I have not Simmed in a year as I found myself without a pc. I only had a cheap, basic one that would not run Sims, after my gaming notebook was taken and I could not afford to replace it. I now am looking to purchase a new laptop (a laptop is prefered as I spend time in hospital where I like to Sim to occupy my thoughts while I am unwell) but to my dismay all pre-made/store purchased laptops no longer have an optical drive. I own all TS3 games on disc (except Ambitions) and some of TS4 and I have registered them with Origin. In the past I have always purchased and installed using the discs and when I click on the icon it always says it cannot play until a disc is inserted.
My question is.. Without a disc drive, if I downloaded all my games via Origin instead of using the discs to install them, will I be able to play if no disc is inserted?
Thank you in advance for any help (/^‿^)/ *нυgѕ & вleѕѕιngѕ*
rnKEhBT.png

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    TS3 has a new patch. You must play all disc and have the base game issued before 2012 to play on disc without being on line and not tied into origin.. If you have the base game disc issued 2012 or after or mix old dics with any download you will be subject to a new patch that is locked into origin. You will need origin to start the game. At this point it won't matter if you have an optical drive. You can play all download.

The sims 4 disc don't work like the sims 3 old discs. You are better off just playing all download and don't need an optical drive. EA is no longer making dics. Games are download only.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited July 2017
    Digital downloads do not require disc to play. Origin has the latest 1.69 patch for Sims 3 that allows the player to skip the disc requirement. So if you install all by digital and/or mix in some disc installs, patch 1.69 doesn't have a disc requirement.

External optical drives are affordable if you ever decide you want one. They connect to the computer through USB. The only issue is if you install by disc instead of digital and stay on patch 1.67 or below, then you will need a disc to play (without a certain mod we can't discuss here). This can annoying to have an external device connected while playing. As phoebe pointed out, patch1.67 or below means you need to have a base game copy printed before 2012 and all games on disc.

It doesn't matter what patch Sims 4 is on or how you install it, no disc requirement.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    ♥♥♥♥ (¯`*•.¸♥♫ ♫ t░h░a░n░k░-░y░o░u ♫♫ ♥¸.•*´¯) ♥♥♥♥ Phoebebebe13 and Simasaurus09

Last question.. Will a notebook with the below specs be able to run TS3 base game, all expansion and stuff packs? Note. I only ask as I have been told that digital installations use more space than disc installations.. (Is this true??)

2.8GHz Intel i7-7700HQ Quad Core
    16GB RAM
    512GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    8GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GTX 1070 Graphics
    Windows 10
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Those specs are perfectly fine and meet requirements. The SSD is big enough and I suggest installing it on the SSD because Sims 3 will load faster. Sims 4 won't benefit from the SSD and can be put on the 1TB HDD instead.

Do you mind linking this laptop? Like I said, specs are fine but some brands/models are better for cooling. When you purchase be sure to come back and we will help you limit frame rate. Very important for Sims 3.
  • Options
    tobumontobumon Posts: 680 Member
    edited July 2017
    Sorry sorry to hijack this thread, but I want to clear out my room and I could save space by tossing out cases for Sims 3 and 4 expansion packs. So if I registered all of these exps with Origin, I no longer need these discs right? I can just DL everything through Origin whenever I get a new PC? I really want to make sure before I go tossing these cases/discs out. Thanks. I wrote down all serial numbers in a notebook in case I need them down the line.

My scenario is similar to the OP's so I thought I'd rather ask here to than make a new thread.
  • Options
    Thank you for all your help Simasaurus09 (/^‿^)/ *нυgѕ & вleѕѕιngѕ*
    I am totally clueless about all things technical, and sadly I have nobody I can ask, as my limited friends do not game and I have no family except my two children (15 and 21) I truly appreciate all your advice! ♥
    Here is the link to the laptop I am thinking of purchasing (It has 25% off currently)
    https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers-tablets/laptops/laptops/hp-17-an059tx-17-3-omen-by-hp-gaming-laptop/prod155075.html
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    @tobumon If you ever want to get rid of Origin with patch 1.67 or below (Sims 3), you will need a full disc collection + base game printed before 2012. If this is not a concern of yours then keep the serial codes handy in a safe place. I personally wouldn't get rid of the disc in case anything happens but that's just me.

@kateoverend Always feel free to ask tech. :) HP Omen is the new HP gaming line. My concern would be HP is not very well known for gaming. They only recently started releasing their gaming models. Reviews mention this laptop heats up quickly with some of the more demanding video games. Compared to the Asus ROG STRIX 15.6" GL502VM also listed on that site, I would still go with HP because of the bigger SSD. Both laptops mention cooling as a con in the reviews I found. @phoebebebe13 @chesterbigbird hopefully they know a bit more about the HP Omen line.
  • Options
    @Simasaurus09 Thank you for your time and patience Simasaurus09 (^‿^)
    I always buy HP over any other models for one reason, HP has great support here in NZ. If there is an issue they will fix issues/replace parts free of charge for up to 24 months. My previous Simming pc was an HP Envy but it had huge problems with overheating due to its not being designed for gaming so I have saved for 12 months to purchase an HP Omen with extra cooling designed for long periods of use (/^‿^)/ *нυgѕ & вleѕѕιngѕ*
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @kateoverend I own an Asus rog and it has excellent cooling. . As far as HP @Simasaurus09 is correct that HP is trying to get in the gaming market but there are other companies that make specific gaming laptops.. Asus ROG and MSI make much better gaming laptops. I would be worried if the HP has heat complaints. Heat can do irreversible damage to a computer and you certainly don't want to deal with that issue. The cooling is just as important as the hardware inside. I would do more research.

If your in NZ speak to @chesterbigbird she is in Aus and can find you something. Chester is a computer build expert
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Phoebebebe13 Thank you for your helpful advice Phoebebebe13 (^‿^) I own all TS3 games on disc. On the cover of my TS3 base game it states the date as 2009 so if I understand you correctly I can install all games via disc and remain offline, and independent of Origin? If I install via these discs does this mean I will always need a disc to play the game?

One last question.. If I opt to not use my discs for TS3 and download via Origin will the following notebook be capable of running all 20 Expansion/Stuff packs as well as the base game?
    https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers-tablets/laptops/laptops/hp-17-an059tx-17-3-omen-by-hp-gaming-laptop/prod155075.html
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @Phoebebebe13 Thank you for your helpful advice Phoebebebe13 (^‿^) I own all TS3 games on disc. On the cover of my TS3 base game it states the date as 2009 so if I understand you correctly I can install all games via disc and remain offline, and independent of Origin? If I install via these discs does this mean I will always need a disc to play the game?

Your very welcome. Yes you would have to play all disc to keep the 1.67 superpatch to stay away from origin or be on line. You would not even need origin on your computer. You can start the game without being on line at all. Yes you would have to start the game with the last disc issued that you installed. If you add any ep or pack download in the mix , ea will force you to the 1.69 patch and you will be forced to origin . You may have to do something with the new install on a new computer to make sure origin does not trigger your disc. @igazor can explain this to you. I have never had the issue because my game was installed along time ago

You can still download from the sims 3 store without origin on your computer
  • Options
    kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    If you want to avoid Origin and are installing using only discs (with a 2009 or other early base game disc), you need to make sure that towards the end of every base game, EP and SP install, you uncheck the box for EA Download Manager (for everything up to about Showtime, I think) and Origin (for more recent packs).

I believe the option comes up in the Sims install wizard window after the progress bar has reached full, but before the option to launch to the readme file. Basically, you just need to be sure to read all the information that pops up in the install wizard before you hit next/continue/whatever it is down the bottom to avoid accidentally having Origin install.
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    @Phoebebebe13 It is scary to buy a new computer.. I have saved long and hard for this and am loathe to buy something that will not run sims. I will take everything you have said under advisement. I am grateful to you for your time and patience - God bless you! xx

@kellycot1 ❀✿❁♥ (¯`*•.¸(¯°·._.• ♥ⓣⓗⓐⓝⓚ ⓨⓞⓤ ♥•._.·°¯)¸.•*´¯) ♥❁✿❀ Your reminder about the installation process and its prompts is invaluable. I may have forgotten this and mistakenly ticked 'Yes' to Origin (-‸ლ) *face palm*
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    @kateoverend your very welcome. @chesterbigbird lives in your area so she knows the best places for you to look for a computer. That HP omen has all the right specs to run the game. I do like that it comes with a 500 gb ssd. as @Simasaurus09 mentioned. I just worry about cooling and heat issues. It's good that your asking questions before buying. A gaming computer is an investment and you want that computer to last.

Since you saved for a long time, Is there a reason you want a laptop? We don't recommend laptop unless you must have a laptop. Desktop is more powerful, cheaper and some can be upgraded or hardware switched out if you buy a good roomy case with good cooling. They sell desktop hardware to the public. They don't sell laptop hardware to the public. Your stuck with the specs you buy. If your laptop video card , processor, motherboard goes bad and they no longer make that hardware , your laptop will become a throwaway computer.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    @kateoverend imo i think that HP is overpriced. HP do tend to be more expensive for what they are.
    I can suggest some others:
    http://www.extremepc.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&path=283_8&product_id=6692&sort=p.price&order=DESC
    the above has Gsync which is Great (syncs to refresh rate without stutter or tearing.)
    http://www.extremepc.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&path=283_8&product_id=6693&sort=p.price&order=DESC
    That one has a 1TB ssd and also Gsync.
    And the Asus is a much better laptop then HP
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited July 2017
    @Phoebebebe13 I prefer a laptop because due to health issues I can spend long periods of time in hospital. It helps to take my mind off things if I can Sim while I am on bed rest. It would be great if I am able to play Sims offline too as Wi-Fi is not always available in hospital.
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @chesterbigbird I prefer to buy HP. I know they are a bit more costly but here in NZ they offer great customer support. My last laptop was an HP Envy. It run Sims but had lots of issues with the cooling fans. They broke after 12 months but HP replaced them for free. This happened twice. They replaced them again for free and suggested I sell the Envy and buy an Omen designed for gaming with a better cooling system. HP will repair/replace your pcs for up to 36 months. To me, this peace of mind is invaluable when spending such a large amount of money. ..Heck - my car did not cost as much as this laptop! (^▽^) Lol
    The Asus laptop looks good. How good is their customer support? ..Most companies seem not to care or look after their customers once they have their money which is sad (╯︵╰,)
    @chesterbigbird Are you a fellow Kiwi? I live in Hawkes Bay (^‿^)
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    @chesterbigbird I prefer to buy HP. I know they are a bit more costly but here in NZ they offer great customer support. My last laptop was an HP Envy. It run Sims but had lots of issues with the cooling fans. They broke after 12 months but HP replaced them for free. This happened twice. They replaced them again for free and suggested I sell the Envy and buy an Omen designed for gaming with a better cooling system. HP will repair/replace your pcs for up to 36 months. To me, this peace of mind is invaluable when spending such a large amount of money. ..Heck - my car did not cost as much as this laptop! (^▽^) Lol
    The Asus laptop looks good. How good is their customer support? ..Most companies seem not to care or look after their customers once they have their money which is sad (╯︵╰,)
    @chesterbigbird Are you a fellow Kiwi? I live in Hawkes Bay (^‿^)

HP is not a well known gaming brand, This is why i suggested something else :) It will of course run the game on ultra setting.
    I'm not a kiwi but a neighbouring Aussie ;) Sydney Australia.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited July 2017
    @Phoebebebe13 I prefer a laptop because due to health issues I can spend long periods of time in hospital. It helps to take my mind off things if I can Sim while I am on bed rest. It would be great if I am able to play Sims offline too as Wi-Fi is not always available in hospital.

I hope you feel better . :) When you play games like the sims or any 3d games , you must play plugged in. The laptop battery is not for gaming on. The battery is not strong enough. The battery is good for steaming a movie or browsing the web. If your going to game while in bed make sure you have a hard surface tray for that laptop to be placed on. If you game directly on the bed you will block the intake fans and can cause a fire
  • Options
    @kateoverend imo i think that HP is overpriced. HP do tend to be more expensive for what they are.
    http://www.extremepc.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&path=283_8&product_id=6692&sort=p.price&order=DESC
    the above has Gsync which is Great (syncs to refresh rate without stutter or tearing.)
    http://www.extremepc.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&path=283_8&product_id=6693&sort=p.price&order=DESC

These links are not working for me. They both say product can not be found
  • Options

Yeah thats odd, they were both working a while ago.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

Yeah thats odd, they were both working a while ago.

I guess the links don't last long. That is odd.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I hope you feel better . :) When you play games like the sims or any 3d games , you must play plugged in. The laptop battery is not for gaming on. The battery is not strong enough. The battery is good for steaming a movie or browsing the web. If your going to game while in bed make sure you have a hard surface tray for that laptop to be placed on. If you game directly on the bed you will block the intake fans and can cause a fire

@phoebebebe13 Thank you for your well wishes (/^‿^)/ *нυgѕ*
    Thank you also for the reminder about not blocking the intake fans, and battery capabilities. The hospital has power points beside each bed for patients to charge mobile phones etc. I plug my laptop into this and use that as a power source rather than relying on my laptop battery as I discovered with my HP Envy that the battery flattened very quickly while I was gaming. I will be sure to use my laptop on a breakfast tray to keep the air-flow vents free (^‿^)

@phoebebebe13 @chesterbigbird Your help has been wonderful! Your kindness, and patience is greatly appreciated. I was truly lost, confused, and clueless as how to proceed when I created this thread here.. I was unsure as to what laptop to buy, and how to install my games. I now feel confident with my decision to purchase the HP Omen 17-AN059TX although it has no optical drive. For TS3 I will install (and play) via an external optical drive so I can remain offline and free of Origin. xx
    rnKEhBT.png
  • Options
    @kateoverend Your very welcome. I'm also not sure about running this game on external cd player. @igazor input on this issue please. Thanks
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    External optical (CD/DVD) drives are fine. The game doesn't really run from the discs, the required one just needs to be in place for authentification. Installation might be a little slower than with an internal optical disc drive, but chances are the difference would be difficult to notice.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net