Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Origin and SSD question

Finally got my brand new computer. Arrived yesterday and I've been setting it up. I'm going to be loading TS3 from discs so I can avoid 1.69.

I'm currently downloading TS4 from Origin and to the best of my knowledge I never got the option to choose where to download. Can I move the game folder to my SSD once the download is done?
"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

Comments

• Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    My experiment before I lost my non-ssd. It installs onto the hard-drive that you have setup on Origin. Even if you changed it. It would install on that hard drive. I hope that helps.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    • Open Origin client
    • At the top... Origin > Application Settings > Installs and Saves
    • Under On your computer you can change drive directory.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Finally got my brand new computer. Arrived yesterday and I've been setting it up. I'm going to be loading TS3 from discs so I can avoid 1.69.

I'm currently downloading TS4 from Origin and to the best of my knowledge I never got the option to choose where to download. Can I move the game folder to my SSD once the download is done?

No cannot move the folder once it is done, You need to change the install path before installing, See simasaurus09 reply above.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    agrochesthairagrochesthair Posts: 1 New Member
    I guess I'll post on here because I don't know where else to and I can't find ea email. I signed up my sims 3 with a different account, but since I got that account I made a new one for sims 4. So I don't know how to put my sims 3 on origin. I also can't change my security question because I forgot my security answer.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,605 Member
    edited June 2017
    I guess I'll post on here because I don't know where else to and I can't find ea email. I signed up my sims 3 with a different account, but since I got that account I made a new one for sims 4. So I don't know how to put my sims 3 on origin. I also can't change my security question because I forgot my security answer.

Hello @agrochesthair
    It would be best to be in touch with EA Help and see if they can assist you
    https://help.ea.com/
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Thanks everyone. After all the time I spent yesterday downloading all the content I may leave TS4 where it is and put everything else on the SSD. That wouldn't cause any problems would it?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. After all the time I spent yesterday downloading all the content I may leave TS4 where it is and put everything else on the SSD. That wouldn't cause any problems would it?

It shouldn't.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    james64468 wrote: »

It shouldn't.

Thanks. I loaded TS3, got it on the SSD drive and started it up. The video card message has shown up on both 3 and 4. I"ve googled it and all I see to find are what look like very complicated instructions written about two years ago. Can someone point me to a site where they explain it like I'm 4? :)

GTX Geforce GTX 1050 TI version 382.05
  • Options
    james64468 wrote: »

It shouldn't.

Thanks. I loaded TS3, got it on the SSD drive and started it up. The video card message has shown up on both 3 and 4. I"ve googled it and all I see to find are what look like very complicated instructions written about two years ago. Can someone point me to a site where they explain it like I'm 4? :)

GTX Geforce GTX 1050 TI version 382.05

Here youtube video to go along with Rosemow links. It a Nvidia guide.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTb7UnZE_lU&t=307s
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member

Just a quick input here. Sims 4 being on an HDD is fine, as it doesn't really benefit from an SSD, unlike Sims 3 does. I have my Sims 4 on my SSD and I see no real difference from when I had it one my HDD. But, yes, Sims 3 you definitely want on an SSD.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »

Just a quick input here. Sims 4 being on an HDD is fine, as it doesn't really benefit from an SSD, unlike Sims 3 does. I have my Sims 4 on my SSD and I see no real difference from when I had it one my HDD. But, yes, Sims 3 you definitely want on an SSD.

Agree, not much difference with the sims 4. Maybe 1 sec faster loading that's about it.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

I configured @PHOEBESMOM601 custom cyberpower laptop. I believe they have a 500 gb ssd so they can put sims 3 and 4 on that no problem even if 4 does not really benefit from ssd
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member

I configured @PHOEBESMOM601 custom cyberpower laptop. I believe they have a 500 gb ssd so they can put sims 3 and 4 on that no problem even if 4 does not really benefit from ssd

That's good. They want be too pressed for space on their SSD then. :)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options

That's good. They want be too pressed for space on their SSD then. :)

Exactly. Cyberpower was running a special at no additional cost for 500 gb ssd. Gotta love those sales :)
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    I know this is an older thread, but just got a new computer with a 128 gb SSD drive. If I load Origin and the Sims 4 with all expansions, game & stuff packs to the SSD drive will it save the game data to the 1tb other drive? I have gone and made sure my documents are being saved on the 1tb drive.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    verlainem wrote: »
    I know this is an older thread, but just got a new computer with a 128 gb SSD drive. If I load Origin and the Sims 4 with all expansions, game & stuff packs to the SSD drive will it save the game data to the 1tb other drive? I have gone and made sure my documents are being saved on the 1tb drive.

You need to install the game on your second hard drive. 128 gb ssd is too small to game on. You can start the game which will generate a new sims 4 folder in documents. You can then replace the new sims 4 folder with the one from your old computer with a flash drive. Than send your documents folder to your second hard drive

In your origin account go to application settings . The settings will be under installs and saves. There is where you change where the game gets installed

• Options

You need to install the game on your second hard drive. 128 gb ssd is too small to game on. You can start the game which will generate a new sims 4 folder in documents. You can then replace the new sims 4 folder with the one from your old computer with a flash drive. Than send your documents folder to your second hard drive

In your origin account go to application settings . The settings will be under installs and saves. There is where you change where the game gets installed

oops too late - I can uninstall and reinstall in the right hard drive though? or can I move it through the properties location option?
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options

oops too late - I can uninstall and reinstall in the right hard drive though? or can I move it through the properties location option?

I think there is a way of doing it without uninstalling and reinstalling. I remember one of the Guru's posting how to do this but not sure where that thread is .

@rosemow may know
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,605 Member

I think there is a way of doing it without uninstalling and reinstalling. I remember one of the Guru's posting how to do this but not sure where that thread is .

@rosemow may know

Hello
    This link explains how to move your sims 4 game to another drive without needing to uninstall , download and reinstall it again.
    https://help.ea.com/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games
  • Options
    Thank you @rosemow and @phoebebebe13

I will try. I find it so frustrating that the default option on the new laptop is the SSD drive. I had to google how to move data to the tb drive. If I didn't know any better I would have the SSD drive full and wondering why I was having disk full errors yet still had all the room on the hard drive.
    Of course now I messed up the 3D object file and all my documents and music files etc are sitting in it. Thank goodness I hadn't download much before discovering the download problem. (Hubby has this issue, at least I can fix his now)
    I could be Simming instead
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I have a 1TB HDD and a SSD, which is only 128GB. When I installed Origin + sims 4 I made sure they both went onto the HHD, as the SSD was already half full.

While it would probably load super quick from a SSD, it loads quickly enough from a HHD I find, though that's probably to do with my system specs.

With both Origin and sims 4 you have the option to choose which drive you install them onto.
    Gallery ID: babysquare