Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

the pros and cons (and bugs) of toddlers

i have been playing around with these toddlers im not going to lie these are the cutest toddlers the sims has ever had makes it pretty worth the wait for me, especially since i was one who said they didn't NEED toddlers in their game. I did find a few bugs or issues but here is my general pros/cons list so far

Pros:
1 to dang cute
2 they climb stairs movement rank 2
3 they can grab a serving of adult food right off the counter and will climb on the couch to eat it
4 reading your toddler to sleep will satisfy the read to child for 2 hrs requirement for successful lineage
5 they are not completely helpless they can do many thing on their own.
6 the life span is not to short this is a very good thing
7 they can get the toddler books right off the bookshelf i did not see any other books available to the toddler.
8 they can put themselves to bed and ask for a bedtime story if the nanny/caregiver isn't paying attention.
9 cute little tablet to learn on
10 movement ranks up as you move around you do not HAVE to specifically rank it up
11 kids can play in the toilet and the "cabinets"
12 they "help" with gardening.

Cons:
1 if you have a single parent in an apartment you have to deal with a fussy child until the neighbors stop being noisy or the parent gets home. the nanny will not complain to them for your toddler.
2 wish we could have a set time for the nanny or that they would leave when the parent gets home.
3 toddlers in quake zones stretch temporarily right after a quake. they do go back but its rather jarring.
4 adults are a little to on the ball getting them out of the highchair before they have eaten even if they are starving

Comments

• Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    I agree with all of these points.

Along with number 4, the adults check up on them waaay too much over their own needs. I had to cheat my sims needs so she wouldn't starve.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member
    ya i noticed my mommy put down her food to go interrupt play time just so she could watch her.
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    Overprotective parenting is better than no parenting:D
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    Kendra326Kendra326 Posts: 515 Member
    I love the toddlers! I've also noticed the things other posters have mentioned. It seems like it takes forever to feed them, but I guess it takes forever to feed a real toddler too lol. I was a little overwhelmed with getting all of their needs met at first, even with just one toddler it was hard to keep up with. The kid kept changing moods and was constantly angry. I had to age her up because she was being a jerk lol. But yeah I guess real toddlers are high maintenance so that's the point but its a little exhausting keeping up with them.
  • Options
    v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    I cant wait to bad CC* create yet again the monstrosity we got with Thesims3 toddlers using aduld outfits,

THE HORROR
    jr73Y.gif

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    That taking food off the counter is definitely a saving grace. Means you don't have to micro-manage in making sure they get fed in the chair every time.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    One thing I noticed, if you have a toddler in the family whomever is cooking will automatically take a serving and put it in their inventory.

I have a ton of sims with tons of spoiled food in their inventory now :/

And with this it's hard to make birthday/wedding cakes because they auto take a serving, thus you can't put a topper on it since a slice has been taken.

put the toddler in a highchair while making cakes. Might help

• Options
    rbridges430rbridges430 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    One thing I noticed, if you have a toddler in the family whomever is cooking will automatically take a serving and put it in their inventory.

And with this it's hard to make birthday/wedding cakes because they auto take a serving, thus you can't put a topper on it since a slice has been taken.

put the toddler in a highchair while making cakes. Might help

I have :(
  • Options
    SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    Well at least now I know why my sim keeps taking the first plate of food and putting it in her inventory. I thought it was a game glitch.
  • Options
    SimMommy05 wrote: »
    Well at least now I know why my sim keeps taking the first plate of food and putting it in her inventory. I thought it was a game glitch.

I feel like it's a glitch, it makes it impossible for us to make celebration cakes.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

I haven't noticed that at all -- I have a Sim with the Fresh Chef trait (food never spoils) so I have her make a lot of food ahead and put it in the fridge (to save time in the morning and after work), and she has yet to put a serving in her inventory. I only have to worry about them auto taking a serving if they're really hungry (hunger level in the yellow).

I like that the nanny hangs around until dismissed -- I'll keep him/her there until my Sim has taken care of her required work tasks as well as her own needs. If I move my family to a new house before I have my second baby/toddler, I might hire a butler to keep tabs on my toddler.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    emilymsimsemilymsims Posts: 398 Member
    The two biggest things ive noticed is
    1. Hair color keeps changing even after I go into CAS to change it back to the color they were born with
    2. After some of my toddler turn into kids they are unable to go up the stairs until I exit to manage words and re enter the game.

Really that it for me so far- I'm so grateful to have these guys back!
  • Options
    emilymsimsemilymsims Posts: 398 Member

I haven't noticed that at all -- I have a Sim with the Fresh Chef trait (food never spoils) so I have her make a lot of food ahead and put it in the fridge (to save time in the morning and after work), and she has yet to put a serving in her inventory. I only have to worry about them auto taking a serving if they're really hungry (hunger level in the yellow).

I like that the nanny hangs around until dismissed -- I'll keep him/her there until my Sim has taken care of her required work tasks as well as her own needs. If I move my family to a new house before I have my second baby/toddler, I might hire a butler to keep tabs on my toddler.

I have that problem with one of my sims
  • Options
    chensaytaylorchensaytaylor Posts: 700 Member
    I have not had my little one steal any cake yet... lol... frustrating enough when BIG sims do it before the celebration. The only thing I do not like so far is the mom always has the spoiled food in her inventory, I make her clean it out quite a bit...it is funny bc she is a neat sim.
  • Options
    I have not had my little one steal any cake yet... lol... frustrating enough when BIG sims do it before the celebration. The only thing I do not like so far is the mom always has the spoiled food in her inventory, I make her clean it out quite a bit...it is funny bc she is a neat sim.

Not my little one auto taking a serving of cake, whomever cooked it I meant (adult).
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    #4 of Cons is a bit annoying. My adult sims are always putting the toddler in the high chair and then taking the toddler right back out. It's like a back and forth dance. You almost have to tell the adults to do something else after putting toddler in chair so they won't take them out.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    aprilrose wrote: »
    #4 of Cons is a bit annoying. My adult sims are always putting the toddler in the high chair and then taking the toddler right back out. It's like a back and forth dance. You almost have to tell the adults to do something else after putting toddler in chair so they won't take them out.

Mine does that too, but it happens only when the toddler is being too fussy or the tods energy is in red.
  • Options
    JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    I actually like that the nanny sticks around, unlike 3 where they took off as soon as my sim got home. My sims have to grind out their career daily tasks and other requirements, so no time for dealing with kids. Also everything is so fragile in this game, my sims usually have to repair the house when they get home. So good thing the nanny is still there.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Yessss! The high chair issue is extremely annoying. It took 5 sim hours to feed my starving toddler once because of this. I had to force the action about 5-6 times. So that's probably my main annoyance. That and the adults placing servings of food in inventory. There does seem to be some general glitchyness after the update. But definitely love the toddlers!
  • Options
    JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    I don't think you actually need a high chair. Just put a plate of food on the ground and the kid will eat it. I haven't noticed anyone putting food in their inventory yet. Maybe that's something triggered by having a high chair on the lot?
  • Options
    peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member
    well im glad im not the only one who has noticed the high chair incidents and ya it didnt dawn on me where the food in the inventory came from that is a problem to. They both honestly sound like bugs overall.
  • Options
    barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    Overprotective parenting is better than no parenting:D

it depends on the person, both are extremely damaging

Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited January 2017
    4 adults are a little to on the ball getting them out of the highchair before they have eaten even if they are starving

Sometimes I found they take them out of the highchair to then give them food on the floor - I was reaching boiling point - then my brain out-foxed them.

For probably the first time in my history of Simming I have been disabling autonomy - I disable it at meal times so I can get all of the toddlers in their high chairs - then drag the chuffing plates of food myself onto their high-chairs - let the toddlers commence scoffing and then trigger the parents to eat their food. This way nobody will touch a toddler once it has been seated.

Once mealtime is over I can turn autonomy back on.

Sorted.
  • Options
    JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    Cons - Only being able to eat in a high chair
    We can only feed them in a high chair right??
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)