Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bored of family play?

Now let me say this. Since I first got the game I played with families. Now I've noticed I'm just getting bored. There isn't to much 'Family' actives to do. Oh sure you can watch a movie together or blow some bubbles but it's just not the same. Playing with families is getting boring. I really do they add a generation expansion, I've heard there is only two more expansions. Along with pets and supernatural. And seasons. Well everything but thats not the point. Kids aren't really 'kids' they always do homework and always go to bed. They need to add a 'brat' trait. They feels for like simbots than my sims kids. (I know I've posted a lot of discussions lately, I'm just saying stuff I've kept in my body for months)

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I've not heard anything about how many EPs are left. I take things with a pinch of sat until it's confirmed. Sounds like your game is stuck in a rut? Why not try something you have never did before? Try a challenge? That's what I do if I get bored. Or I play a different sims game.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    That is why I don't play with families. I've been holding out for toddlers and more family to play to better tell the story but I decided to just give up on the wait. So I'm just going to get up an published and forget about the family play for my story.

Also that ha been no confirmation on what expansion packs are coming or how many for that matter.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited November 2016
    Hi OP. :) Family play means a lot of different things to different simmers. What are you hoping they add that will make the experience more meaningful for you?

Me personally, I'm looking for family portraits, family albums (I'd really like to detail the life of my family through the generations so I can remember them and my sims can flip through it and learn about their ancestors), more school options (private and homeschool options), and more opportunities for parents to mentor their children (like supervised cooking on the stove or exercise on machines).

As far as "activities" for families, though, I find I'm ok on that front. My families usually enjoy horseshoes, the water slide, swimming, story time (I really like how the parents can read to all their children and even if the kids are eating they crowd around with cereal bowls in hand to listen), Don't Wake the Llama (and for my unscrupulous parents, cards lol), my sim children will perform plays for their parents and siblings, movie night in the backyard is always fun (and something we do in real life, so it's cool to see it here), and I really love the Spice District for families, because mom and dad can play basketball with the kids or let them play on the playground right behind the hoop. There are more activities, which I can detail for you if you want, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. lol

My point is I really want the family dynamic and history to be the focus of a Generations pack. I have plenty of "things" my sims can do together, but when it comes to "family" play... I don't just want to see a bunch of new group objects tossed into the mix. I want new campfire stories that sims can tell about their ancestors that are unique to the family and the individual sim's traits. Maybe Great Gpa was an awesome fisherman, his granddaughter can pass the story on to her children about his biggest catch... and if the sim doesn't continue that oral tradition, it's lost to the family. Maybe it can also be recorded in a family album for descendants to rediscover at a later date. ;) Stuff like that is what I'm looking for.

What are you looking for?

P.S. On the subject of expansions, I find the possibility of there only being 2 more expansions to be so ridiculous, it's really not worth commenting further on. >.<
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    aclavoaclavo Posts: 1,517 Member
    Hi OP. :) Family play means a lot of different things to different simmers. What are you hoping they add that will make the experience more meaningful for you?

Me personally, I'm looking for family portraits, family albums (I'd really like to detail the life of my family through the generations so I can remember them and my sims can flip through it and learn about their ancestors), more school options (private and homeschool options), and more opportunities for parents to mentor their children (like supervised cooking on the stove or exercise on machines).

As far as "activities" for families, though, I find I'm ok on that front. My families usually enjoy horseshoes, the water slide, swimming, story time (I really like how the parents can read to all their children and even if the kids are eating they crowd around with cereal bowls in hand to listen), Don't Wake the Llama (and for my unscrupulous parents, cards lol), my sim children will perform plays for their parents and siblings, movie night in the backyard is always fun (and something we do in real life, so it's cool to see it here), and I really love the Spice District for families, because mom and dad can play basketball with the kids or let them play on the playground right behind the hoop. There are more activities, which I can detail for you if you want, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. lol

My point is I really want the family dynamic and history to be the focus of a Generations pack. I have plenty of "things" my sims can do together, but when it comes to "family" play... I don't just want to see a bunch of new group objects tossed into the mix. I want new campfire stories that sims can tell about their ancestors that are unique to the family and the individual sim's traits. Maybe Great Gpa was an awesome fisherman, his granddaughter can pass the story on to her children about his biggest catch... and if the sim doesn't continue that oral tradition, it's lost to the family. Maybe it can also be recorded in a family album for descendants to rediscover at a later date. ;) Stuff like that is what I'm looking for.

What are you looking for?

P.S. On the subject of expansions, I find the possibility of there only being 2 more expansions to be so ridiculous, it's really not worth commenting further on. >.<

Have you posted your ideas in the Ideas and feedback section?

It's one thing to post here, but I think these are good ideas that should be seen.
  • Options
    mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    how you can be bored at something that's inexistent
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I find I get bored with family play in the sims in general so it's not anything new to just sims 4 for me. I have gotten bored with them since sims 1.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,550 Member
    That is why I don't play with families. I've been holding out for toddlers and more family to play to better tell the story but I decided to just give up on the wait. So I'm just going to get up an published and forget about the family play for my story.

Also that ha been no confirmation on what expansion packs are coming or how many for that matter.

I'm the same.
    Although I did let a couple of households have children just to try out Kids Room stuff and Backyard Stuff.
    I still don't want to play them until I have more age stages to fill in the huge leaps in sim development.

I suspect TS4 is going to have a longer run than usual for a Sims series.
    I can't see this game finishing without any of the following:
    Generations
    Seasons (not sure what form this will take)
    University
    Supernatural
    Pets
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I kind of agree with that @fullspiral - even in previous sims games, family play at some point always becomes a little stale to me, as it's just one type of story I can tell (even though like @Ceres_Meiriona mentioned, I too would love family portraits and mentoring activities, the cooking one sounds great :D) - so I tend to have sims with whom I play families, others are careerists, mad scientists, bums that live off of what they can find in nature & smooching off of others, etc. I do hope they'll add more stuff to family play, but yeah ... in the meantime, I find that if I get into other kinds of stories, there's much there I haven't done yet. So maybe if you try that for a while, OP, you may find you enjoy your family play more again?
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

I'm the same.
    Although I did let a couple of households have children just to try out Kids Room stuff and Backyard Stuff.
    I still don't want to play them until I have more age stages to fill in the huge leaps in sim development.

I suspect TS4 is going to have a longer run than usual for a Sims series.
    I can't see this game finishing without any of the following:
    Generations
    Seasons (not sure what form this will take)
    University
    Supernatural
    Pets

The fact that toddlers were missing when the game launched didn't faze me one bit because I didn't play with hem much other then do toddler skills and build family relations. Plus I seriously thought we would have them by now. When a generations type SP does come, then it better come with toddlers, kindergarten aged children and pre-teens. Would LOVE to have middle aged Sims, but that just might be pushing my luck. Either way we do need to start getting loads more family friendly venues. I deleted all my make-shift lots because they just don't function all that well.

I too feel that the EP's you mentioned will make their appearance at some point. I just hope they aren't boggled down with the things that would make my game play less enjoyable, which seems to growing with each new pack.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited November 2016
    (ignore this. My actual comment is below)
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Now let me say this. Since I first got the game I played with families. Now I've noticed I'm just getting bored. There isn't to much 'Family' actives to do. Oh sure you can watch a movie together or blow some bubbles but it's just not the same. Playing with families is getting boring. I really do they add a generation expansion, I've heard there is only two more expansions. Along with pets and supernatural. And seasons. Well everything but thats not the point. Kids aren't really 'kids' they always do homework and always go to bed. They need to add a 'brat' trait. They feels for like simbots than my sims kids. (I know I've posted a lot of discussions lately, I'm just saying stuff I've kept in my body for months)
    There is absolutely no information about the exact amount of expansions left so ignore that. If you are getting bored with the game I suggest trying out another one. I think it helps to take breaks. You could also try to play differently than you normally do. Lately I have been literally writing a story to go along with my sims play and it helps me identify and shape my characters. It makes me more invested!! I also play Sims 3 sometimes because there was so many things I never tried with that game after its millions of packs! :)
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,550 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no information about the exact amount of expansions left so ignore that. If you are getting bored with the game I suggest trying out another one. I think it helps to take breaks. You could also try to play differently than you normally do. Lately I have been literally writing a story to go along with my sims play and it helps me identify and shape my characters. It makes me more invested!! I also play Sims 3 sometimes because there was so many things I never tried with that game after its millions of packs! :)

I was in today, and I was searching around in buydebug mode and was shocked to find a horse stable that never needs cleaning and an automatic pet washer.
    :o:o:o Whaaaaaaaaat?

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 718 Member
    I rarely play families in The Sims 4. I focus more on the Young Adults and their lives, so when I achieve certain point where the only thing left to do is get married and have kids, I do that. I usually have my Sims have random hook ups and get Sims pregnant or stuff like that, but I don't always keep them in my household because it's so awkward that I want to have the "Raise a baby together" moment but the baby turns 10 three days later after being born. So yes, if only they'd add a Generations EP with Toddlers and more stuff to do.
  • Options
    tuityfruity12ajtuityfruity12aj Posts: 1,508 Member
    When I get bored playing with families I usually create a new YA and play out a story with them that I haven't done before, or in a while. Like making a partier, or like a science nerd, etc. Then when I decide I want family play again I make them start a family. I do wish we had a Generations pack and toddlers so bad because babies in the game are boring and I feel kids are so limited to what they can do..
  • Options
    klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member

Hi again @Autumn_Cats. :) I find myself gravitating towards your discussions as I feel I share your thoughts.
    Are you looking for ways to make your family play more interesting or are you looking to find something new to do?

You have a lot of awesome suggestions here if you're looking for ways to make family play more entertaining. Something I do with my families frequently is throw parties and invite lots of family and friends. You can use some of the items from stuff packs to create themed house/dinner parties, like ice cream parties, movie nights, BBQs with the new fireworks from CL, and so on. Once the party begins, you can then group up the children with their friends and any child-aged relatives and have them do things together. On the weekends, I always try to take time to have the children listen to stories read to them by their parents, play on the slip and slide, hangout by the campfire and roast marshmallows, put on puppet shows, etc. There are options and things you can do, even if they can get a bit repetitive. I'm hoping for a generations EP at some point too because more family centered interactions would be so awesome to see.

If you're getting too bored with family play, there's nothing wrong with taking a break or creating new characters. I've had a lot of fun playing with single sims in the past. If you create a YA and have them join one of the partier clubs like Partihaus, the funniest and most dramatic things can happen. Once the flirting begins, the mayhem begins. ;)

Also, if you're basing your thoughts that there will only be two more EPs for TS4 on some of the gossip and speculation going around, I wouldn't buy too much into it. Unless there is confirmation from EA/Maxis, all of it is rumor. I'm of the opinion TS4 probably has a few more years in store.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »

I was in today, and I was searching around in buydebug mode and was shocked to find a horse stable that never needs cleaning and an automatic pet washer.
    :o:o:o Whaaaaaaaaat?

Wow... really? :rushes off to buy mode to check this out:
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    Autumn_CatsAutumn_Cats Posts: 347 Member
    Thanks for all your lovely comments. I'm gonna say some more things about being bored. Babies do nothing. They act like a baby alive dolls, especially the poop ones. I need more bassinets and cribs. CAS for babies would be awesome and that would make me want to play longer. Half of the time the babies look nothing like they're parents. And for children, I think children could have more playground equipment and more traits, like the brat one I talked about. Children always agree and I would kinda like tantrums. Teens are basically little YA without being able to marry or get pregnant (Without mods of course)
  • Options
    klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    Thanks for all your lovely comments. I'm gonna say some more things about being bored. Babies do nothing. They act like a baby alive dolls, especially the poop ones. I need more bassinets and cribs. CAS for babies would be awesome and that would make me want to play longer. Half of the time the babies look nothing like they're parents. And for children, I think children could have more playground equipment and more traits, like the brat one I talked about. Children always agree and I would kinda like tantrums. Teens are basically little YA without being able to marry or get pregnant (Without mods of course)

Babies don't generally do much other than sleep, poop, and eat in RL anyway. :D I get what you mean, though. I'd like it if my sim parents could carry their babies around the house, rock them in rocking chairs, put them in a stroller and walk them through the park, and so on. At the moment, babies are too confined to their bassinets to appear anything other than an interactive object.
    I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but I really like your ideas about having playground equipment (how awesome would a sandbox be for our S4 kids?) and age-specific traits that they actually grow out of the older they get. :) I've wanted to see my children act more like children and teens act more like teens for a long time. I was thinking back to TS2 when teens could pop their pimples and I'd like to see age-specific interactions too. Like, how cute would it be if your teen had a bf or gf and had to worry about trying to hide a hickey from their parents? Little details like that would really make the game and age groups more interesting.
  • Options
    JayGsmith08JayGsmith08 Posts: 102 Member
    When I get bored playing with families I usually create a new YA and play out a story with them that I haven't done before, or in a while. Like making a partier, or like a science nerd, etc. Then when I decide I want family play again I make them start a family. I do wish we had a Generations pack and toddlers so bad because babies in the game are boring and I feel kids are so limited to what they can do..

I totally agree
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Side issue we know Pets is in the pipelines as it is one of the named struck games on the SAG-AFTRA’s Voice Actors site.
    https://www.sagaftra.org/files/struck_video_game_productions_list_0.pdf
    http://ramiismail.com/2016/11/the-industry-the-union-and-the-strike/
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    We don't know if this "Pets" is related to the Sims though.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    We don't know if this "Pets" is related to the Sims though.

lol...sure we don't.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.