Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Population Limit in Worlds

Can someone tell me what the max population is in a world? I have 31 families in SV but only a few of them are "families" with parents and children, the rest are one or two sims per family. I'd like to know how many more I can add to my little population. (I want to have a few of every kind - human, supernatural, etc.)

Comments

• Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Gosh, I think the number is mostly related to the computer you are using. I think around 100-125 or so is frequently mentioned, but I've seen people report that they have many more than that and their game runs fine. I do think that the more sims you add, the more difficult time your PC has in simulating everything that's going on.

I have a game going in Sunset Valley with mostly the original sims plus some additions, and I have an older, larger game in Riverview with lots of sims added. My PC runs a lot more sluggish in Riverview. The next time I open the game, I'll see if I can check the population numbers in both saves.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    Different things start going wrong as the population increases. But if you can live with that then it depends on your computer and how much lag you are prepared to luve with and how high you want your graphic settings.

The most annoying thing for me is kids trying to get into school. I found the way to fix that was to add about 4 new schools before adding the Sims. I tried allocating each child to a school after adding new schools in the middle of a game but it never really worked for me. My town population at the time was around 300 and there were a lot of children and teens. When they couldn't get into school they got scolded and in the end I had to get a mod to put a stop to the constant scolding too.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I'm going to try and keep it around 35 families but every time I think I'm finished, that's it I think, oh I want another vampire or maybe a merman, I haven't done that, it gets away from me. I have a top of the line gaming rig and so far the only slowing or lagging I've noticed is when I save, it's gone from under a minute to around two minutes. Looks like I should be okay for a while.
  • Options
    I just tried to check my population numbers in my Riverview game but it's not giving me a number. I can bring up everyone's name but I don't have the patience to count them. :p

• Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,236 Member
    My worlds tend to have somewhere between 75 to 100 sims, some maybe a bit more.
    One thing that intrigues me, do homeless townies count towards the town limit? Not the families part of the world, but all those homeless vagrant types? You'd think they probably would. If they do, then when checking stats with master controller, my population is way in excess of 100. But I'm never sure whether to include them.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    I think we are missing some context here.

Under EA standard, the max number of sims depends on the world being played. They range from 100 to I think as high as 180. What I've never been able to figure out is if that means resident sims only of if the number includes all sims in town (e.g., homeless NPCs). When the max is reached, the game will start moving sims out of town for you and without your permission (also called emigration or culling). Problem is that this mechanism gets triggered far too easily when the town isn't really full yet and after a while players find themselves playing in an almost empty world.

Under NRaas StoryProgression, the calculation is based on resident sim population only. By default, the cap is 150 but that can be set on a per world/game basis with an SP option. NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Sims > Maximum Residents. When the max is reached or exceeded, no one gets emigrated out or culled, but no inactives will get pregnant or adopt on their own and there will be no more immigration of new sims until the resident population falls below the cap again. Players can still direct their own sims to Try for Baby, adopt, etc. and they can still bring new sims into town by way of other means such as CAH and by using MasterController commands.

The easiest way, with NRaas mods, to get a reading on the current resident population is on City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Demographics > Population > "X" to dismiss the filter. The number of Service Sims and other homeless reported there doesn't really matter unless you are seeing something absurd like numbers approaching or over 1,000.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    That's what I did but it just brought up thumbnails of all the sims organized alphabetically and I did not really want to count them.

I just tried something different, though. On the filter screen I selected "home world" and it brought up a screen that says the following:

UI/Caption/Global/WorldName/EP01:Riverview - 337
    UI/Caption/Global/WorldName/EP01:University - 010

@Igazor Am I correct in assuming that second number represents Uni tourists in my town?

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    My approximate population count was for all sims - homeless, workers, probably pets too.

I was using Master Controller. But I do recall packing up over 300 Sims of my own and moving them into a town. I eventually decided to use the feature provided by Traveler mod to spread them out over several worlds in the same game.
  • Options
    Just answering my own question here - when I clicked off that first screen it brought up the thumbnails but when I clicked off that screen it gave me the following numbers:

62 households
    161 residents
    99 service sims
    1 homeless
    10 tourists

In that first number, 337, it was counting everyone. Ghosts, service sims, role sims, and the standard household population.

• Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited October 2016
    igazor wrote: »
    I think we are missing some context here.

Under EA standard, the max number of sims depends on the world being played. They range from 100 to I think as high as 180. What I've never been able to figure out is if that means resident sims only of if the number includes all sims in town (e.g., homeless NPCs). When the max is reached, the game will start moving sims out of town for you and without your permission (also called emigration or culling). Problem is that this mechanism gets triggered far too easily when the town isn't really full yet and after a while players find themselves playing in an almost empty world.

Under NRaas StoryProgression, the calculation is based on resident sim population only. By default, the cap is 150 but that can be set on a per world/game basis with an SP option. NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Sims > Maximum Residents. When the max is reached or exceeded, no one gets emigrated out or culled, but no inactives will get pregnant or adopt on their own and there will be no more immigration of new sims until the resident population falls below the cap again. Players can still direct their own sims to Try for Baby, adopt, etc. and they can still bring new sims into town by way of other means such as CAH and by using MasterController commands.

The easiest way, with NRaas mods, to get a reading on the current resident population is on City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Demographics > Population > "X" to dismiss the filter. The number of Service Sims and other homeless reported there doesn't really matter unless you are seeing something absurd like numbers approaching or over 1,000.

I did have the figure of 180 in my mind, thought I had seen it somewhere. Completely forget about my family's pets though. I will have to remember to add them in.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Just answering my own question here - when I clicked off that first screen it brought up the thumbnails but when I clicked off that screen it gave me the following numbers:

62 households
    161 residents
    99 service sims
    1 homeless
    10 tourists

In that first number, 337, it was counting everyone. Ghosts, service sims, role sims, and the standard household population.

That's the significant number as far as NRaas SP is concerned, 161 residents. You should see some of the goofy total numbers I get inside the filters with the other ways to count sims, sometimes well into the thousands because of my 15 Traveler connected worlds. Those don't always confine the report to the homeworld actually being played. And if you have a few hundred temporary resort workers even locally before Overwatch and ErrorTrap do their thing to clean them up, you can get nonsensical numbers for homeless as well. Demographics > Population, X to dismiss the filter, doesn't report on all of those other sims.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Yes, but it didn't give me simple numbers either! I guess it wants me to count them by hand. YUCK! ;)

• Options
    OK, my bad. I tried the population again and didn't select any filters (including home world) and it brought up the screen with all the sims sorted alphabetically. When I clicked off that, it DID give me numbers.

In my Sunset Valley game, I have:

38 households
    98 residents
    91 service sims
    5 homeless
    0 tourists

As I said, this game runs much better for me even though I've actually played it longer than my game in Riverview, 32 weeks vs. 28. But I have aging extended past the longest ages allowed in the game.

• Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I don't have more than four families in Glen Harbor though two of them are just couples and one of those couples haven't aged up to young adult yet.Jankowskys have four family members and the Frankovitch family has three.I've got 11 resident sims living there so far and more might move in soon.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    JanoJano Posts: 100 Member
    Are deceased sims counted in the overall population?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Jano wrote: »
    Are deceased sims counted in the overall population?
    Under EA standard, probably not but no one really seems to be sure.

The problem with the EA standard system is that hundreds of unnecessary homeless NPCs tend to get spawned behind the scenes without necessarily getting cleaned up and those it seems might be counted toward the total. This can cause the calculation to produce bad results and the game gets stuck trying to do a ridiculous amount of emergency "culling" in order to preserve gameplay when it doesn't really need to.

For mod users, with NRaas StoryProgression for the population cap and MasterController's Demographics>Population to get a reading then no, homeless are not part of the resident count. Deceased sims with their remains in or tied to graves, urns, or a Mausoleum are not counted either as they do not have regular households. "Playable Ghosts" with households of their own would be counted, as for them being a ghost is merely an occult state.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I don't know of any numbers, but in my original Sunset Valley house I added a lot of families and houses to the game, even creating new lots in the world editing tool. As a result my game would take 1-2 hours to load. So if you are willing to wait 1 hour to load the game, go for it.