Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What a Pain I have to do!

I've lost everything, but glad I saved some files that aren't Sim-related but lost everything else! So tonight I will be re-installing the entire Sims 4 and ALL it's patches and other stuff too!

Wish me luck! :(

Comments

• Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    If your going through origin you shouldn't have to patch it, it will be all together (whiicchhh will still take a while D:) I feel your pain. It happened to me a while ago D: My macbook died on me so when I got my new laptop I had to re-install everything and all the saves I had where gone *cries* on the bright side its a fresh start and you can have more new sim adventures?
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    Did you lose all your computer files? I am sorry that this occurred :(
    I hope that the reinstallation of the base game and packs goes as smoothly as possible.
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    @LunaNova yeah, Thanks for that, it will take a while, good thing I can crochet while I wait :smiley:
    @rosemow, yep, lost all my files due to my stoopid PC! yep, will take a while, thankyou :wink:
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    That's really horrible! I hope everything will go well for the installation.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    @DeKay, I hope so too, thanks :wink:
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    Is it possible to download the game and all patches and store them on an external harddrive to install from?
  • Options
    xPaxion wrote: »
    Is it possible to download the game and all patches and store them on an external harddrive to install from?

I think it's possible but it's always safer to just download straight from Origin.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    xPaxionxPaxion Posts: 1,119 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

I think it's possible but it's always safer to just download straight from Origin.

Takes too long.
  • Options
    I'm downloading thru Origin now whilst crocheting my blanket
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

When you download the game it is with all patches already applied. It is possible to save the download file, though - check your Origin settings. When you go to patch after installing from that (and I haven't done it to see how that works), it would be a single patch but possibly a large one depending on how many patches you'd missed in between.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    Keep your files backed up on an external drive in the future! My hard drive died suddenly last fall, and only a small fraction of my data was recoverable because I didn't have it backed up. It really sucked. My grades for the semester suffered as a result, too - partly because I lost assignments I was currently working on, and partly because I had to find time to use the computer labs whenever I needed a computer for schoolwork because Lenovo tech support is plum and took two weeks (and three calls to reschedule) for them to get a technician to replace my hard drive, then another few days to send me a Windows install disc that didn't even work. Having to use school computers was especially a hassle for programming assignments, since the one computer lab on campus that has Netbeans installed on the computers regularly gets used for programming classes.

Anyway, it really sucks that you have to go through this. I know your pain. Hopefully you get everything on your computer up and running again soon.
    Origin ID: foxx-fennec
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    ooh, that's not good to hear @foxx_fennec, I will get the external HardDrive next time this happens again in my game, yeah, it was very quick downloading my already bought games and patches so I didn't have to wait that long, and I went into my game and it feels shiny and new again!
    Sweet! :)
  • Options
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    I totally feel your pain.

My hard drive broke the other day and now I'm in the state of buy a new computer (the other was over 6 years old).

While it's fun to get a new computer and I've been flirting with the idea a while now anyways, it's such a pain to reinstall everything.

I always use the opportunity to only reinstall what I really need though.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    I wish I could lend you guys my internet. It only takes like 20 mins for me to install everything.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I recently had to reinstall everything, and hadn't had a chance to back it up either. I had upgraded to Windows 10 and when I reverted back to 7 (didn't like 10) it went completely haywire and plummed up my computer. So I had to wipe my hard drive and do a fresh install of 7 and then everything else too.

I had been working on my sims 4 hoods and lost all that, so it was a real pain to have to start over. Luckily, I had some older saves on an external hard drive so I didn't have to go all the way back to the beginning, but I had changed an awful lot since then.

I really need to get into the habit of regular back ups, I haven't even backed up since my reinstallation... you'd think I'd have learned my lesson :D
  • Options
    Luckily I still have all my data cause that is stored on the SSD that's still alive and kicking
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    I am sorry that you have had the computer issue crinrict :( I hope that you will soon find a new computer and that the reinstallation of all your programs and files goes as smoothly as possible.
  • Options
    It is not nice that you lost some of your progress of your making over of the sims 4 worlds elanorbreton :( I hope that you are able to get the worlds back to how they were before you changed back to windows 7.
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »
    I am sorry that you have had the computer issue crinrict :( I hope that you will soon find a new computer and that the reinstallation of all your programs and files goes as smoothly as possible.

It's a welcome excuse to get something new, even if it's a pain.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    Oh my! I'm so sorry Midnight Pearl! I had to reinstall Sims 3 once and lost ALL my families. It was painful.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Wow, so sorry to hear that happened to you, midnightpearl. Do you have any flash drives available? I would back up everything, even if your computer is new. I always keep a copy of my latest work (I write) on a flash drive, which I update as I edit/revise along the way).
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Wow, so sorry to hear that happened to you, midnightpearl. Do you have any flash drives available? I would back up everything, even if your computer is new. I always keep a copy of my latest work (I write) on a flash drive, which I update as I edit/revise along the way).

Yeah, I've got flashdrives but I have all my Sims 3 on them, but I must go and get new ones again, for Sims 4, thanks for the tip GalacticGal :blush:
    @ Rosemow, thankyou :smiley:
    @ crinrict, sorry to hear that your computer died and now have to buy yourself a new one, my PC is 4yrs old and may have to save up and buy a new one anyways because now I want to do the ''let's play'' video's but I have not much left of video harddrive or I could get a new video harddrive but I might as well get a new computer instead.
    @ DeKay, that's good, I think it only too 20mins to reinstall everything too, my internet was great. :smiley:
    @snurfles, yeah, it was a real pain but I've got a shiny new Sims game to play again, even though I lost my family that I working on with a huge family tree with Aunts and Cousins and Great great grandma and Grandpop in the family tree but hey I'll start again with a new family. :smiley:

Thanks everyone :smiley: