Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wood Stilted Foundation Posts Won't Delete

I've run into a very bizarre situation while building a lot. I made a small bridge over a narrow stream using the stilted wood foundation tool. It's just a flat bridge, no CFE or anything used on it. I spent a lot of time working on the rest of the lot then decided I wanted to move the bridge so I set to deleting it. The only problem is, the surface of the bridge deletes but not the posts. No matter what I do those posts just stay there. I can even build other things like foundations and stairs right over the top of them. Everything I build over them deletes perfectly fine but they stay right there.

I've tried taking a Sim into Live Mode to see if I could somehow get rid of them with Master Controller. I used Radius Purge and it deleted nearby flowers but not the posts. I reset the lot. I exited the game and went back into it. The posts are still there. I switched to a different lot and built and deleted the same set-up without any problems. After I tried resetting and a few other things I decided to bulldoze the lot but that locked up my game and I had to start a new version of that world, replace the lot from one of my back-ups and then I could at least bulldoze it but no matter what I do on this lot these posts will not be deleted.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)

Comments

• Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I have never been able to get rid of the darn things once placed. There is a beach house I got from the Store and it has a little shack at the back of the lot that is up on a stilted foundation and I want rid of it but cannot delete, demolish or do anything else to that foundation.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I've had bad luck with those too, from time to time. If I place that type of foundation I can immediately delete and redo it as necessary. But after quitting a play session and coming back later they tend to be fixed there permanently. I just cover them up with something and make do.
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Thank you both. I've used them but never encountered this before but now I don't remember if I tried to change one at a later point or not.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I've had that happen to me too. I just go back to main menue without saving.
  • Options
    @catitude5 thank you! I'm not sure at which point you go back to the main menu without saving, though. In this case I've worked on this lot during multiple sessions so my game was saved and reloaded several times since I put it there.

If there's no way to fix it I've got to decide whether it's worth rebuilding the whole thing again or not. I'm not an ace builder and it takes me a while to get things just how I want them and this lot is a particular pain in the rear.
  • Options
    meredisumeredisu Posts: 112 Member
    That is so weird, same thing happened to me the other day!
    Simblr: meresimblr.tumblr.com
    <p><b>--Mere</b>
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    @BSIRegina I read once that someone was able to place a normal foundation (she said it might require angled foundations and CFE) over the stilts then when she deleted those the stilts were gone. Wish I'd thought of that the last time I tried to delete those - I just kept hitting undo until the lot was back to the way it was originally and decided to forget it. :D
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    @HappySimmer3 yesterday I did try just a regular foundation right over the top of it and deleted it both ways possible and it still left the stilts. I just now tried with CFE off and still no joy. Goodness this is frustrating!
  • Options
    Well, here is the stinker in question. I messed around with it just enough to see if I can possibly work with it instead of having to rebuild the whole lot. On the one hand I really really want that bridge moved and leaving it could be a symbol of all that is wrong with TS3 but on the other hand this is my Shire, dag-nab-it and I just don't know if I want to settle on this level or not.

I'm also wondering if this has something to do with retexturing the posts.

BotchedBridge_zps9rblgjw1.jpg
  • Options
    Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    If any consolation, @BSIRegina, it is a beautiful lot.
  • Options
    Okblondee7 wrote: »
    If any consolation, @BSIRegina, it is a beautiful lot.

Thank you, that is so sweet! :heart:
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    did you try using testing cheats to shift+click delete the posts?
  • Options
    SimKeats wrote: »
    did you try using testing cheats to shift+click delete the posts?

Yes, I tried that but nothing happens. Thank you, though!
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    Can you just put something over them, (like a really big rock) to just cover them up so you can't see them anymore? Sorry it's not a real solution. But if the only problem is that you don't like how they look you could try to change that.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    KATENESS wrote: »
    Can you just put something over them, (like a really big rock) to just cover them up so you can't see them anymore? Sorry it's not a real solution. But if the only problem is that you don't like how they look you could try to change that.

I can put anything I want on them, can completely bury them with dirt, even. Considering it's right smack in the middle of the water it doesn't work out too well. :lol:

For now I'm just leaving that lot sit there and working on another. I may end up just leaving them. They do kind of add something.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    @HappySimmer3 yesterday I did try just a regular foundation right over the top of it and deleted it both ways possible and it still left the stilts. I just now tried with CFE off and still no joy. Goodness this is frustrating!

Darn. Well, it was several years ago when that was mentioned so it's possible another patch borked it up even further. I agree, extremely frustrating!

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    Thursday10pmThursday10pm Posts: 193 Member
    I'm of no help and I know you want them gone but I think they actually look great there.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    The one set I seem to have gotten stuck with doesn't look so great, though. I keep hoping to find a way to at least hang holiday lights on them...
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2016
    I love the look of that corner you showed, are you going to post more of it? I'm curious.
    There's something really mean and glitchy about those posts. A related issue is when you put an item on the plank bridge sometimes you can't delete it either. Happened to me with an apple. It was lying there in the house (the house was built on posts) and there was no way I could get rid of it. Like it was a drop of paint and not an item. The posts cause it I think. Hope you will find a solution for it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 this is the mill lot in my Shire-inspired world I started back in 2009 and am only now getting to finish. I'm happy you like it. You know, I had this one time when a fruit got stuck on one of my Sim families' lot right on the ground. They also have a house with a large deck out over the river but so far I've haven't had any trouble removing objects placed on it, but they are all regular objects like chess table, easel, etc. so that may make the difference. I'm glad you mentioned it, though, in case I ever do encounter it.

@HappySimmer3 a person just never knows what might end up broken from patch to patch so you could be right about that.

@igazor Holiday lights or the jar lights--yeah, in the right place those would be great. :lol:

@Thursday10pm thank you! I may end up just leaving them. I have so, so many lots to build and it really doesn't look that bad with a little landscaping around them. I think the old boat helps too. Even so, if I could be rid of them I would.
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    edited March 2016
    I think you should embrace them. You know, make it look like the old bridge broke down so they had to make a new bridge a little bit over. You could put some of those stone textures going to the bridge, but have them be really faint or covered with dirt. Just a thought. :)
    giphy.gif

• Options
    SnapdragonSnapdragon Posts: 955 Member
    Is this still the original lot or have you at one time saved it to the bin and placed it into your world again at a later date?

I have had this problem so far only with lots from the bin while I am able to do and redo stilted foundations on lots that were originally built in my active save.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,436 Member
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    For now I'm just leaving that lot sit there and working on another. I may end up just leaving them. They do kind of add something.

I like them. They look as though there was an older bridge there at some time in the past that was later moved (and there was, just not the too distant past, I guess ;) ).

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    @KATENESS I like the way you think. ;)

@Snapdragon by now it's definitely one built before then replaced but I don't remember if it was or not the first time it happened because I back up these builds a lot just in case I decide I don't like my latest brain-storm after all. It probably was, though.

@suzses thanks.
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,031 Member
    @BSIRegina Did you try to put new stilted posts through them, maybe with MOO? I know I had some fence gate posts that would not delete in the Now and Then Manor venue. I just ran a new fence through the posts and then everything was able to be deleted. I've done that with tiles that couldn't be deleted too. I may have angled them a different direction though. Not sure. But I got rid of them.