The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Obsessions and Phobias

This may be an idea thats been tried before, but I wonder how it could be implemented into Sims 4. It could be part of the personality traits where you can pick things a Sim is obsessed about, or something they have a phobia of. Example, an unnatural fear of grilled cheese. Or are so obsessed with taking showers, that they take much longer to bathe than a normal sim. Any ideas on this?

Comments

• Options
    jineratorjinerator Posts: 377 Member
    I thought this thread would be more popular than this. lol
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I think it's a neat idea! I'd love more ways to influence my Sims' personalities. :)
  • Options
    charcougcharcoug Posts: 265 Member
    That is such a cool idea!
    Where are my toddlers?!

http://i68.tinypic.com/fw297c.jpg
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I think I'd prefer it to be a bit more subtle, more like favorites and fears.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    I like any idea that makes the personalities of the sims shine more. Anything that will give us a broader spectrum of unique sims as well as a greater contrast between individual sims sounds like a great idea for me. It would be really cool to add in a fear/phobia system, especially with game/expansion packs that could add in so many different areas and influences.
    Origin - DaemonPaws
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,790 Member
    How would it work?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    How would it work?

I'm not sure if it could be stand alone, or more that it would compliment parts of the game that already exists. Maybe add new things to aspirations in some form. It could give a level of difficulty to building skills. Maybe it could make an opportunity to make a therapist career and you have patients that need to work on their phobias or obsessions.

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,790 Member
    I meant by how would the phobias/fear work? I mean for instance when we create Sims in CAS would we put (sims') fear when creating them. Would we add born-in game children's fear when they aged from baby to child?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    I guess that could be a way to do it. Maybe a fear could be assigned based off of how they grow up. Like in the old games when a sim grew up, if they were taught much they would end up with the evil trait or something. Maybe EA could come up with something brand new with it.

It might be able to create a challenging gameplay. What do you think of this?
  • Options
    AbraKadabraAbraKadabra Posts: 304 Member
    edited February 2016
    It would definitely add more to sims' personalities. Also, imagine creating an aquahobic sim, turning the autonomy off (just in case), and then making him swim in the pool >:) , oh the possibilities... :D
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,571 Member
    no i clearly do not went to see any obsession or phobies in the sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Friendly Simmers...do me a favor. You're too negative. Stay off my discussion threads. All you do is say negative things. Thank you.
  • Options
    JaysWrxldJaysWrxld Posts: 618 Member
    This is amazing!
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Perhaps an AMD obsession? :p
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    It would definitely add more to sims' personalities. Also, imagine creating an aquahobic sim, turning the autonomy off (just in case), and then making him swim in the pool >:) , oh the possibilities... :D

Hmm... I see how that could work and be quite fun.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    I like this idea. I always thought it would be fun to have the old Sims 2 style of fears back, but I think your idea would probably work better with the way the game is currently. Like, when you created a Sim in CAS you would pick their traits as usual, along with maybe one or two fears/phobias. In Sims 3 I never wanted to waste trait slots on things like Hydrophobic or Hates Animals or other traits of that ilk, but those things could have worked wonderfully in a separate phobia or fear slot. There could be so many possibilities there and would indeed add to the Sim's overall personality. I can imagine options for Fears like water, fire, being unemployed, ghosts, aliens, children, being married, death, and many more.

I also think that instead of obsessions (because honestly Sims are already pretty obsessed with certain things depending on their traits) it would be fun to have the Sims Medieval Fatal Flaw make a return. If you never played that game, fatal flaws were a separate thing from traits and included stuff like being a drunkard, hubris, gambling addiction.. Basically stuff that was a Sim's vice. I guess maybe stuff like that is too realistic for the people who want the game to be happy land all the time, but I like my game to have some darker aspects.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    Yeah I think sims are already obsessed enough so a toned down version of 'obsession' would work better imo. Sims with a fatal flaw... sounds interesting. Either way having 'fears' would be great. Anything that adds some uniqueness to my sims is all good.

• Options
    elumaeelumae Posts: 171 Member
    If kept more on the whimsical side that could lead to all sorts of wacky situations, like a sim who fears llamas and is subsequently promoted to Team Mascot in the athletic career. Some good possibilities as long as it's not anything too heavy.
  • Options
    Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    Good idea. I reckon those 2 mentioned traits will make any sim unique, it would be great if added certain extreme liking and pet peeves to it.

The Sims Game
  • Options
    ropodogropodog Posts: 210 Member
    I think this is a super neat idea!! Sort of like in Sims2 when they had hobbies like cooking,robotics etc. I would love to see this in game!
    TunnelSnakesRule_400x400.jpg

Origin Id On Gallery ropodog

MY YOUTUBE

MY TUMBLER
  • Options
    Sometimes I think about the time when you could have certain interests in magazines. Was that sims 2 that had that? I can't remember now lol.

What about a fear of using toilets on public lots. Actually, now that I think of it, public toilets are scary lol.
  • Options
    elumae wrote: »
    If kept more on the whimsical side that could lead to all sorts of wacky situations, like a sim who fears llamas and is subsequently promoted to Team Mascot in the athletic career. Some good possibilities as long as it's not anything too heavy.

Yea, whimsical. I like that. Sims is always light hearted, and should keep that tone. Good example about the mascot thing...
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    jinerator wrote: »
    Sometimes I think about the time when you could have certain interests in magazines. Was that sims 2 that had that? I can't remember now lol.

Yeah, I think it was Freetime. And they had them in TS1 as well. I liked them, but it bothered me that the interest level would go down so fast and it became a chore to constantly maintain it. Rather than fluctuating interests, I'd rather be able to set interests when making a sim in CAS, and then that would only change if I did it manually.

b4ce4a2e2140f8f903132486581aa2e7.jpg

• Options
    Yea, I remember that the interests would constantly go down over time. It was a hassle. I wonder what kind of neat magazines there could be now. Not to mention, comic books!