Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Self Sufficient Hoods

One of my favorite things in Sims 2 was setting up neighborhoods that were self sufficient. Now that I'm getting into 4 I want to adapt my playstyle. To give you an idea of what I had/have in mind:

Sims 2: A farmer who supplied food for the town. They would sell it in their shop. When my sims ran out of food they would head to her store and buy fresh produce to cook with.
Sims 4: Right now I'm playing with gardening. I don't have GTW so I can't sell the produce ATM so for now I'm trying to set up a trade system. ( Is there a way sims can send money to other sims?)

Sims 2: Everytime sims would get sick they would head over to the doctors office ran by my doctor sim. She sold medicine and Comfort Soup. ( This was still a WIP and I was trying to figure out how to set this up more efficiently. I also did house calls where my doctor sim would come to the house and take care of the patient.
Sims 4: I want to open up a pharmacy that sells medicine ( If possible) Also whichever Sims are in the doctor field will hopefully be able to do house calls ( Not sure how to set this up)

OTHER TIDBITS
So for most of these to work I used a check mod for sims 2. Sims were able to send checks to other sims. This let me set up everything from taxes to babysitters.

Taxes: My appointed mayor sim collected taxes from households weekly based on family funds. This made him very wealthy x] - Although I use most of those funds to fund city events. Fireworks/BBQs at the park. Neighborhood Dinners/Parties etc.
S4: I have a mayor who is in the business career. I'm working on figuring out a way to collect taxes atm.

Babysitting: I loved this because I was able to choose the babysitter I wanted. If a sim needed a babysitter I would call over or teleport the sim I wanted to do the job, make them selectable and have them take care of the child. When the parent returned I'd send a check to the babysitter.
S4: Right now my babysitters work for free. If a parent has work I'll usually phone a family member or family friend to come over and watch the kids. Desperately looking for a way to make sims temporarily selectable without the need to move them in.

Gardner:This was usually my farmer sim or someone from that family. When a sims garden sprouted weeds ( hated those but loved them) or their flowerbeds needed watering I would callover/teleport my appointed gardener and have them clean up the yard. ( This included raking & burning the leaves) When they were done a check would be sent.
S4: WIP

Thrift Shop: This one was fun. So my thrift shop was ran by my orphanage. When sims wanted to upgrade furniture instead of selling it back some of them would donate it to the orphanage. ( Inventories where very helpful here) Some items the orphanage would keep depending on their needs. Others would go to the thrift shop and be sold for very cheap. This was very handy for my sims that were short on simoleons.
S4: WIP is this possible?

Summer Camp: I'd do this every sim summer. Temporarily move kids/teens to a summer camp for the whole season and have them return home in fall. This is really fun when you play rotational and are able to get all the younger sims together to form friendships.
S4: Using a camp from the gallery I plan on sending kids/teens and a camp counselor to Granite Falls for a week to have a blast.

A FEW MORE
A few more ideas for your self sufficient hoods.

Post Office
Town Hall
Community College
Day Care
Housekeeping

So I'm asking and telling. A few ideas of my own and wondering if anyone has been able to acheive a self sufficient hood in Sims 4 yet. If so please explain your methods, any more ideas are welcome. I'm having too much fun thinking these up and borrowing ideas from others. Now I need to make sure I can make them work.

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited January 2016
    They can send money to each other, only if you have the ATM mod.

However, using TestingCheats and then money 9999 (e.g.) you could lower the funds of the family sending the money and increase the money for the Sim who is getting it.

You can become a Doctor in GTW and make house calls, but Sims who are sick that you play won't get house calls.
    You could get a Sim to order medicine on the PC, place it in their inventory. Open a Retail store, clone it a few hundred times, and run a Pharmacy that way. Sims will be able to visit the store, and buy the medicine.

For a baby sitter that treats all Sim children, you can create a club with Get Together, with 1 baby sitter and 7 children. So when your child starts a gathering, the babysitter will come over (with the other 6 children) but it can be one of those sitters that look after multiple kids while at someones house. I remember my baby sitter would look after me and two other kids and it would depend on which house that we would be looked after.

It *could* be possible to run a thrift store, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    ATM mod! I saw that few days ago but didn't know you can send other sims money with it. Will definitely be checking that out.
    So here's assuming I set up a little pick your own food farm. Sims would visit a farm I have set up with their ATM cards. They pick the veggies and fruit yada yada and they would be able to hand over the card to my farmer sim?

Thanks for the info. A pharmacy should be fun to play.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    ATM mod! I saw that few days ago but didn't know you can send other sims money with it. Will definitely be checking that out.
    So here's assuming I set up a little pick your own food farm. Sims would visit a farm I have set up with their ATM cards. They pick the veggies and fruit yada yada and they would be able to hand over the card to my farmer sim?

You won't be able to hand it over to him, but you'll be able to drag it from your inventory to him.
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Interesting, I kind play like this too. But takes so much time to set all. The medicine, there is a medicine cabinet mod at modthesims, that sells medicine automatically from it. There is also the potions, lotions and creams from Outdoor Retreat. Or orange juice that cures sickness or tea. TThere is a mod by Zoo is the ATM mod at SimsCommunity and modthesims. You can buy credit cards (actually prepaid cards) from functional ATMs and put in your sim inventory and let into other sims houses :).
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    I have no idea how you'd be able to set this up in the sims 4 but just wanted to say that your post definitely made me want to play Ts2!
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    GTW would definitely help you as well as GT if you don't have it. I think your farmer's market would benefit from GTW, though you can't sell items from your home or a residential lot so it might be better to set up a farmer's market lot either at a park (lot would be retail but you can build a small set of stalls for your farmers and then build a park around it) or at the front of another retail lot.

GT adds club funtionality so for babysitting amd gardening, you can set up clubs. Babysitting was explained but for gardening, you just set up the club activities to weed and work your Sims' gardens and you have gardeners.

The thrift shop, again, would benefit from GTW since you can sell items at whatever price you want.

As for taxes, again with GTW, but you could set up a county courthouse or tax agency and have some small item for sale for the price of taxes that they purchase to transfer to money to the mayor.

You've got some neat ideas. :smiley:
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Simsfan9911Simsfan9911 Posts: 155 Member
    I really like this idea.
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »

Oooh! I love the idea of a self-pick farm and then have the visiting sims pay the farmer for what they picked.

I do have a farmer's market set up as retail, but I find it kind of annoying that they can't buy in bulk. And for some reason, my $1 regular potatoes (or whatever) retail for like $10 no matter how cheap I set the prices. Of course I want my farmer to make money, but that's a bit much for one single potato, lol!

But I just tried out the self-pick idea in game, and it works great! I wasn't able to drag the bank card directly to my farmer's inventory, but I was able to drag the card to a table on his lot and leave it there. Then when I reloaded the lot playing as the farmer, the picked produce was gone and he was able to cash out the bank card. Perfect!
  • Options
    @jackjack_k Amazing idea on the babysitters. I'm in the progress of building a daycare and that idea would work perfectly for that.

@GaiaPuma Indeed! I'm back and forth between both games still setting things up for sims 2 as I play. Great ideas! I'm wondering if I can set up a place that looks like a doctors office and have medicines, beds and other comforting objects spread out. Send my sick sims there to relax and once they're better the doctor will send a bill.

@QDog Hope you have fun!

@ebuchala I've found a few farmers markets on the gallery. I usually use them like community gardens, everyone will pitch in and everyone will profit. Since OFB I've been wishing businesses can have multiple owners. Or open retail lots like a farmers market/flea market type of thing. Thank you for the ideas.

@Simsfan9911 Hope you have fun with it.
  • Options
    pixiejuice wrote: »

But I just tried out the self-pick idea in game, and it works great! I wasn't able to drag the bank card directly to my farmer's inventory, but I was able to drag the card to a table on his lot and leave it there. Then when I reloaded the lot playing as the farmer, the picked produce was gone and he was able to cash out the bank card. Perfect!

Awesome! I won't be able to play my game till later but now you have me excited to play. For realism sake I use a mod by plasticbox that in a method similar to Sims 3 makes food need ingredients. Again, makes things a bit more realistic and gives my farming a point as the produce becomes necessary. I imagine when my town grows bigger I'll have to start hiring help. Thank for sharing.
  • Options
    @ebuchala I've found a few farmers markets on the gallery. I usually use them like community gardens, everyone will pitch in and everyone will profit. Since OFB I've been wishing businesses can have multiple owners. Or open retail lots like a farmers market/flea market type of thing. Thank you for the ideas.

I really want multiuse lots so we can have both residential and commercial or retail on the same lot. Maybe have apartments in the back to rent out with a shoo at the front. Or something like that.

@pixiejuice That's awesome to hear. I may have set something like that up.
  • Options
    Did a quick test with a cinema. Took a family out to see a movie, had them purchase the $100 bank card and left it at the counter. Even though the money isn't going to anyone or anywhere at the moment it's nice to have activities to spend it on.

I do wish the bank cards came in $50 - $20 - $10 - $5
    $100 is too pricey to drop on movies and some of my families don't even have $100 to their name lol. This will be tough to figure out but I'm thankful for all the input.

@ebuchala Yes! Home businesses could have made something like that possible. I remember a creator for Sim 2 made this lot that has a butcher shop on the first floor and living spaces above it. It was really fun to play it as a family owned business.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Did a quick test with a cinema. Took a family out to see a movie, had them purchase the $100 bank card and left it at the counter. Even though the money isn't going to anyone or anywhere at the moment it's nice to have activities to spend it on.

I do wish the bank cards came in $50 - $20 - $10 - $5
    $100 is too pricey to drop on movies and some of my families don't even have $100 to their name lol. This will be tough to figure out but I'm thankful for all the input.

@ebuchala Yes! Home businesses could have made something like that possible. I remember a creator for Sim 2 made this lot that has a butcher shop on the first floor and living spaces above it. It was really fun to play it as a family owned business.

Have you tried buying MySims of the appropriate price from the debug catalogue and leaving them at the venue as payment? Either place them on a display surface or in a chest if possible on community lots. If you make the cinema into a retail lot (sell individual ice cream/popcorn portions too) the owners can sell the MySim "payments" either instantly or as movie memorabilia to customers.

Any of the collectables or live-drag items would work like this.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I am loving all of these ideas! It's inspired me to go through all of my towns and assign an "owner" to each community lot, even if the lot is not ownable (like a bar). Then any time one of my families go to the bar, they have to pay an entrance fee to the owner. I actually teleported the owner in to tend the bar too (used a mod for that), and it was pretty cool to have one of my own as the bartender instead of some random townie. Before they went home, I had one of them put a treasure map in her inventory to take with her.

I too wish the bank cards came in $20 or $50, but true @EmmaVane some of the digging collectibles are a good match for that price range, and they work well with inventories.

Ha, I just had an idea for my banker sim--she can go around collecting $20-50 crystals and MySims to trade, and keep an ATM machine on her lot, and she'll be in charge of my world's "stock market" lol! Sims will have to leave a $20 crystal on her lot to use her ATM machine (because those ATM machines are expensive!).
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I like the way you play! Any of my suggestions have already been covered by other simmers, but I did want to let you know that I really like your outside the box play style. Totally cool!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,760 Member
    Great idea! I LOVE it. I especially like the notion of having a field of crops, where customers can come in and harvest what they need. I may have to grab that ATM mod so they can 'pay' for what they take. Totally cool. I also like the club idea for babysitting.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    NicoleamoralNicoleamoral Posts: 977 Member
    I love the summer camp idea but can't figure out how to make it work out using Granite Falls! Let me know what you come up with! :)

I use Swagbucks to earn gift cards to pay for my Sims games! B)
    swagbucks.com/refer/NicM87
  • Options
    I love the summer camp idea but can't figure out how to make it work out using Granite Falls! Let me know what you come up with! :)

I may be remembering wrong but I think someone said that clubs don't work in Granite Falls. Though it might just have been that they couldn't get people to hike together even though they were in a hiking club since the game doesn't have an actual walk/hike together animation or function.
  • Options
    @EmmaVane that's a great idea!

@pixiejuice can I asked how you teleported your bar owner in? I've been trying to figure this out for awhile now.

Thank you @Ceres_Meiriona I can't take credit for most of the ideas as I borrowed them from Sims 2 players who posted about a similar playstyle.

@Nicoleamoral I'll let you know once I play test my camp.

• Options
    MandysAMessMandysAMess Posts: 2,694 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »

I may be remembering wrong but I think someone said that clubs don't work in Granite Falls. Though it might just have been that they couldn't get people to hike together even though they were in a hiking club since the game doesn't have an actual walk/hike together animation or function.

You're not remembering wrong. Someone asked about clubs in Granite Falls around the release of GT and they said you can take your club there on vacation but it will just be as a group, not as a club. Something about the way the Vacation Destinations are coded I think?
    My Simblr: WaffleKone
  • Options
    @Trashmagic the mod I use is here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=536556

Its purpose is to add sims to households that already have 8 sims, but I use it even when I want to teleport a sim into a smaller household because it's just so handy to be able to type the command and the sim's name and they appear! Otherwise you'd have to go all the way out to the Manage Households UI and wait for dozens of households to load. (I have a LOT of sims, lol!)

This mod is also useful if you play custom schools--just type the name of each student, and they'll appear.

Keep in mind, of course, that whatever sim you're adding shouldn't live alone or their house will be sold when you move them in.

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    pixiejuice wrote: »
    @Trashmagic the mod I use is here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=536556

Its purpose is to add sims to households that already have 8 sims, but I use it even when I want to teleport a sim into a smaller household because it's just so handy to be able to type the command and the sim's name and they appear! Otherwise you'd have to go all the way out to the Manage Households UI and wait for dozens of households to load. (I have a LOT of sims, lol!)

This mod is also useful if you play custom schools--just type the name of each student, and they'll appear.

Keep in mind, of course, that whatever sim you're adding shouldn't live alone or their house will be sold when you move them in.
    Ok why would I want more then 8 sims in the house?

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Ok why would I want more then 8 sims in the house?

Maybe you wouldn't want more than 8. It's a personal preference.

But plenty of other people find reasons to have more than 8 sims. Like I mentioned, playing custom schools where I want to control everyone. Or any other sort of party or event where I want to invite a lot of sims and control everyone. Weddings, especially. If I'm out at a nightclub (or any community lot) and I see two of my inactive sims doing something interesting and I want to take control of them, but without switching households. And because this game is SO limited on buildable space, sometimes my apartment buildings have more than 8 sims living there at times.

I usually only keep more than 8 sims temporarily though, since you can't take a household with more than 8 sims into CAS without trouble.
  • Options
    TreelifeCreationTreelifeCreation Posts: 401 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi,

@pixiejuice
    @EmmaVane
    @GalacticGal
    @ebuchala
    @Trashmagic
    @jackjack_k
    @GaiaPuma

& anybody else who wanted a way to transfer small amounts of money.

Reading your posts go me inspired and I wanted to do some of that stuff in my game so I created sim "coins" of $1, $5, $10, $20 and $50 that can be dragged into inventories. I even got them to be stackable. :)

Please note these are just custom objects (under one thumbnail) so they will not affect the bank Mod. :)

treelifecreations.tumblr.com/post/138405379337/ccingamecoins
  • Options
    @TreelifeCreation thank you so much for making these! They look like just what we needed! :smiley: