Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Slowly becoming unplayable.

TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
I'm having two game-breaking bugs and really need help figuring them out.

#1 Time freeze bug? I've tried every fix. It use to only happen on community lots but now on residential ones too. - When this happens I can't direct my sims to do anything. I click on the bed for my sims to sleep and nothing happens. On community lots all sims will drop whatever they're doing and play the idle animation. Sometimes I can't even send my sim home to break out of it. So I lose my save progress.
#2 Unknown. I told my teen sim to do homework. The homework icon appeared in her queue and the the green progress bar began to fill but she just stood there with the idle animation. Not doing her homework. - My sims will wash their hands while outside in a sink thats in the bathroom. The animations play but my sims aren't actually in the bathroom.

This is happening on multiple saves even new ones. All the time. I literally can't play because I can't direct my sims to do anything. They might eventually become unfrozen temporarily and I can direct them as I normally do for a few minutes but it will come back. Please tell me there's a fix?

ETA: s4LDqZx.jpg
JiPlPqB.jpg

Comments

• Options
    1Dugawinduncan1Dugawinduncan Posts: 48 Member
    It's a mod issue. The January 5 patch broke a ton of mods and CC, there's a masterlist somewhere - I think @rosemow has a link.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,637 Member
    Hello.
    I am sorry that you are having these issues,
    This link on the AHQ EA site refers to the issue. Try doing the suggstions in this link and see if that helps.
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2015/08/time-freezereset/

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Removing some of the items from the inventories may help to prevent the issues occurring.

Lowering your graphics settings may help.

Some things that can help when the issue occurs are:
    Pressing the game options button and then cancelling the options pop up.

Going to buy mode and back or switching from one tab to another can sometimes help.

Having your sims travel to another lot can help.

Pressing pause a few times when it happens .

If sims are doing homework or playing chess, that has caused the issue in some games, so cancelling those interactions if the game freezes may help.

Simmers have also found that cancelling sims's tasks in their queue has helped.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I wasn't sure if it is the time /freezing issue that other simmers have also been experiencing , or if it may be a separate issue related to cc/mods in your game.
    Do you have cc/mods in your game? If you do, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if the issues are still there. If it has helped with the issues, put your mods/ CC back into the newly generated mods folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the causes of the problem.
    There has been many mods that have been conflicting with the game since the latest patches.
    This is a link to a thread that lists some of the broken/updated mods .
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/863545/broken-updated-mods-dec-15

Also, try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps.
    Right click on The Sims 4 tile in Origin.
    Select “Game Properties”
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”

• Options
    SamiNY623SamiNY623 Posts: 128 Member
    The time/freezing thing occasionally happens to me as well, but I don't have any mods. What I've found is that if it doesn't go away in a minute or so I just go to Manage Worlds, click on another family, and play as them for a minute. Then I go back to my original family and they are all better. At least that way you don't have to just quit the game and lose progress!
  • Options
    Thank you guys for the quick replies.
    @1Dugawinduncan - Thanks. I scanned the list but didnt see any mods I had. I'll look over it again to make sure.
    @rosemow Thank you! I reset my documents folder and it seemed to fix the problem on that lot I was playing. I did take out my mods folder as well. Played for a few hours after that without receiving these bugs but started receiving one where my sims start resetting out of their animation. Or will 'pop' (teleport) to places instead of walking. EX. Instead of getting up off the couch the sim will pop behind it. It's odd.

I do hope the previous bugs are gone for good. I couldn't play with those. Thank you both so much, hopefully it doesn't return. I have more testing to do.

@SamiNY623 Now that worries me. I figured (and sorta hoped) it was a cc, that way it was easily fixed. Thank you for the tips though. I'm going to test a new save to see if I encounter any more problems.
  • Options
    I am glad that the game is working better. :) I am sorry that you are having the resetting issues. Try testing again without mods/cc and see if that helps the issue.
    There is a resetting issue that occurs when kids are doing homework. If you have kids in your household, have them do their homework on their own not together, and also have them do it at a table or desk.

This is a link to a thread on the EA AHQ site where you can post about resetting issues if you would like to.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/COLLECTION-THREAD-Sims-Resetting/m-p/5029270#M19176
  • Options
    KimsSimsKimsSims Posts: 95 Member
    I have tons of stuff in my Sims inventory & experience a bit of this type of lag. Thx rosemow for mentioning that, since it never occurred to me. I am finding that I have to click on a different Sim after queuing tasks & then click back on the Sim to have them actually perform the tasks. A little annoying, so I'll clean out some of the inventories & see if that helps.
    90ppvq.jpg

• Options
    sweetiebabe27sweetiebabe27 Posts: 12 New Member
    I have this same thing happening with my game. Ever since Movie Hangout my sims will just stand there. Like when I direct them to do anything they just stand there blankly and not do anything while their queue fills up. I've noticed that it happens a lot when one of the Sim children is doing homework, once I cancel the homework things go back to normal with all the other sims. But I can't keep having my sim kids stop doing homework. I don't have mods so I don't know what the issue is other than when they do homework. Its so frustrating. I'll try these tips and see how it goes. I'm glad I'm not alone in this.
  • Options
    I have this same thing happening with my game. Ever since Movie Hangout my sims will just stand there. Like when I direct them to do anything they just stand there blankly and not do anything while their queue fills up. I've noticed that it happens a lot when one of the Sim children is doing homework, once I cancel the homework things go back to normal with all the other sims. But I can't keep having my sim kids stop doing homework. I don't have mods so I don't know what the issue is other than when they do homework. Its so frustrating. I'll try these tips and see how it goes. I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

Hello @sweetiebabe27.
    I am sorry that you are having these issues.

Try repairing the game and resetting the sims 4 folder like I suggested in the earlier post and see if that helps.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14513853/#Comment_14513853

Also, try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps.
    Right click on The Sims 4 tile in Origin.
    Select “Game Properties”
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”
  • Options
    sweetiebabe27sweetiebabe27 Posts: 12 New Member
    Thank you so much! Starting to do that right now. I am really so glad I'm not the only one dealing with this.
  • Options

I hope a permanent solution arises. I'd be upset if this happens again, but the tips posted have proven useful to my game for now. It's odd, the first time this happened my sim was at a museum. No homework in sight. This was when I lost some of my save progress as I wasn't able to direct her to do anything. Couldn't even send her home. Hoping for the best for your game!
  • Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    A question regarding emptying a Sim's inventory:
    If the Sim is a collector/herbalist/gardener won't emptying their inventory affect aspirational progress?
    I have one collector Sim and one herbalist in the same household, and I'm seeing quite a lot of lag in that particular household. According to the above the amount of inventory seems to be the problem. But then, what am I supposed to do with all the things they need to collect in order to fulfil aspirations or be able to brew herbal potions?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    belpita wrote: »
    If the Sim is a collector/herbalist/gardener won't emptying their inventory affect aspirational progress?
    I have one collector Sim and one herbalist in the same household, and I'm seeing quite a lot of lag in that particular household. According to the above the amount of inventory seems to be the problem. But then, what am I supposed to do with all the things they need to collect in order to fulfil aspirations or be able to brew herbal potions?

No, you can empty inventory without harming the aspiration: you get the points for finding collectables etc., not for having them in possession. You can keep the things for herbal potions, but you don't have to keep them in inventory.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    belpita wrote: »

Hello.
    It is like what Luthen posted. It won't affect your aspiration progress by removing the items from your sims inventory. You receive the acknowledgement that you have found the items when you first collect the items. You can keep the items somewhere else in the home to use for when doing the stages of the aspirations.