Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lot stuck on Generic after I downloaded a a lot from the gallery

Hi,
I am having a problem in my game at the moment. I placed a lot from the gallery (Jarina's Bar) that appeared to be a cafe/arcade. However, when I placed the lot I saw immediately from the manage world screen that the lot did not have an icon over it indicating it is "any type of lot". I went back in and saw that the type was converted to generic, and that I could not even change it from generic. So, I bulldoze the lot, but still could not change the lot type as it is just stuck on Generic (disabled for special venues). I then went back in to my gallery folder to view the information on the lot that I downloaded and saw it is listed as "residence type"

This made me think perhaps if I place a residential lot it might reset so I tried that but it still is stuck on generic lot. No matter what I do it will not reset from Generic.

I searched the forums to see if anybody had this happen and I followed the advise found here in this post below, but it did not help me. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/849787/cant-change-lot-type

Help please!

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    The lot type now changes from Buy/Build, not from the Manage Worlds screen, in case that might be the issue.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    edited December 2015
    Oh Thank you Luthienrising, I'll go and check that.

oh, I get what you are saying. Actually then my problem still exists as I was trying to change it from within build/buy. Thank you much anyway...

Anybody else have having this issue or a solution?
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hello.
    There has been a few other simmers that have been having this issue. Try starting a new save game file, go to the same lot and test to see if the same issue occurs when doing the same thing in that new save game.
  • Options
    Hey Rosemow,
    Yep tried that before I initially posted here since I saw you had suggested that in another post. Unfortunately it did not help me. I hope someone can help me with this, otherwise that lot is completely useless since anything I plop on that lot stays in a Generic state, so I am leaving it blank for now.
  • Options
    Hey Rosemow,
    Yep tried that before I initially posted here since I saw you had suggested that in another post. Unfortunately it did not help me. I hope someone can help me with this, otherwise that lot is completely useless since anything I plop on that lot stays in a Generic state, so I am leaving it blank for now.

Does the lot remain in the generic type in the new save game too? Which lot is it?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Yes the lot still remains in the generic state. I have also went the route of resetting the sims 4 folder by taking it out, restarting sims 4, and adding back the appropriate files, and still it remains stuck on the generic type. The lot is the one called, south square? I cant remember it fully because I changed the name of it after bulldozing and placing the new lot, but it had south square in the name.
  • Options
    It is called South Square Coffee.

Are you able to change other lots to different types in your game?

Remove any cc/mods in your game and test to see if the issue is still there.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

• Options
    Just to check again. When you first go into the lot, is the lot type cafe?

Then, when you bulldoze the building on the lot , does it then become generic? Then, you can't alter the lot type?
  • Options
    When I go into the lot, which currently has no building on it, it is stuck on generic and will not let the drop down appear for other types, it just says disabled for venue use.
  • Options
    I saw that you posted on the other thread. I will repost here what I posted there.

Repairing the game shouldn't affect your save games. As a precaution, make a backup copy of your Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folder before doing the repair and place it on your desktop.
    To repair the game, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.
  • Options
    Now I am certain that this is a "real" issue. I took Rosemow's advice and repaired the game via origin, and STILL said lot remains stuck on generic lot. I'm thinking

Glitch with the lot

Which is such a shame because I still really really want to use that lot, OMG Gorgeous indeed (Jarina's bar), but I am really afraid to place it anywhere else for fear of this happening again. Wonder if it has anything to do with that lot being set to residential when it was uploaded to the gallery?
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited December 2015
    Yes the lot still remains in the generic state. I have also went the route of resetting the sims 4 folder by taking it out, restarting sims 4, and adding back the appropriate files, and still it remains stuck on the generic type. The lot is the one called, south square? I cant remember it fully because I changed the name of it after bulldozing and placing the new lot, but it had south square in the name.

Hi, are you sure you have started a new game? Just to double check, to start a new game, you go to the main menu and hit the + button at the top right and create a new random sim and move them in. Now go find that lot. It should be fine cuz by default, none of the lots should be in generic.

Here's a screenshot of mine:
    MFEBhcd.png?1

The thing is, you cannot change the bugged lot anymore in your current save even though you can get a cafe version of this lot from a new game. You have to either go to a save before this happened or you would have to move all your sims and houses to a new game.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    I see what you are saying. Okay, perhaps I will just go back to an old save, I will lose so much progress, but oh well this is bugging me as it currently is, and I really do NOT want to start all the way over :/

Thank you everyone for your help...

ps, do you guys think that other lot that I tried to place will always create this problem (assuming that it did), that lot is a bar/arcade but it is listed as residential lot type. Just curious...I love that lot so much, makes me weep to not have it :'(
  • Options
    It would be best to go back to your old save and test to see if the issue is still there.
    If you decide to start a new save game, you can save your sims from the current game to your library, then start a new game, then place them into the new save game.
    You will lose though any relationships that your sims has with sims not in their household, and will lose their inventory and collections progress. They will retain though their lifetime rewards, reward traits, skills , and their careers.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I see what you are saying. Okay, perhaps I will just go back to an old save, I will lose so much progress, but oh well this is bugging me as it currently is, and I really do NOT want to start all the way over :/

Thank you everyone for your help...

ps, do you guys think that other lot that I tried to place will always create this problem (assuming that it did), that lot is a bar/arcade but it is listed as residential lot type. Just curious...I love that lot so much, makes me weep to not have it :'(

It shouldn't be a problem. But just in case, you can always start a new game and put the "residential" bar arcade somewhere on a residential lot. Do this after you have loaded the lot. Don't use the "place straight from gallery to chosen lot", cuz that caused a problem for me. Then, after you have loaded the lot, place the bar arcade and then make sure you change the type to "bar". Then save it to My Library. Go back to your gameplay save and put the new bar to which ever lot you want (again making sure you have loaded the lot).

After everything works out, you can simply delete that other save.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    @DeKay you are a gem. o:) Thank you so much. Worked like a charm!
  • Options
    @DeKay you are a gem. o:) Thank you so much. Worked like a charm!

Awesome! Happy simming! :)
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Jacegaming01Jacegaming01 Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm actually having the same issue with a lot located in Newcrest.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I'm actually having the same issue with a lot located in Newcrest.

Hello.
    When you go into build mode on the lot, are you unable to change the lot type?

If you are having issues changing the lot type , start a new save game file and test to see if the lot type of the same lot in that save game can be changed.
    If the issue is only in your current save game, you may need to either save your sims to the library, start a new save game and place the sims into it. Or go back to an earlier version or back up copy of your save game.

• Options
    starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member
    This is the same issue I reported here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/865455/havisham-house-lot-type-unchangeable#latest

Only way I could fix this was a complete restart from a new game. In all other circumstances the lot remained "generic" and trying to change it gave you the same mouse over message you get at the bluffs, ruins, or von Haunt estate. I spent about six hours resetting up my hoods and bringing all my played sims in (though this time I took a real snapshot of the final product, so I don't have to start over completely next time I hit something like this).
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
  • Options
    ShannonSimsFanShannonSimsFan Posts: 67 Member
    I'm having the same issue with a residential lot (summer house) in Windenburg. It became a "special lot" after trying to make it generic, directly from residential. I am hoping to avoid it happening in my new save by always placing lots in build mode and making sure the lot type lines up with the description. If it doesn't, I'll download it to a lot in a throwaway game and then change the lot type.
    banner_zpsq7jv57ue.png
    Take Me to the Moon: A Sims 4 Legacy-Style Story
  • Options
    WoodsiyWoodsiy Posts: 8 New Member
    Hey guys, I believe I found a solution for this frustrating problem that a lot of you guys are having... Including me.

I did some testing within the game and it seems that when a residential lots switches over to a "generic" lot for no reason... It seems to have to do with the actual lot itself. I don't believe it has anything to do with the actual house, the family or placing a house from the library whether or not it's a post or pre-patch house. I was having lots of difficulties with my family household after my lot randomly switched over from residential to generic because everyone from the neighbourhood was coming into my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 house and I couldn't get them out. Starting a new game with your family and house saved to your library does work but you unfortunately lose all of your relationships, reward points...etc.

I realized that it most likely has to do with the single LOT itself and not the actual world because when I went to different houses in the same world theirs were listed as residential. So, to fix the problem, all I did is move my family and house from the bugged lot to a fresh lot and bam. Problem solved. I hope it works for you guys as well.
  • Options
    Woodsiy wrote: »
    Hey guys, I believe I found a solution for this frustrating problem that a lot of you guys are having... Including me.

I did some testing within the game and it seems that when a residential lots switches over to a "generic" lot for no reason... It seems to have to do with the actual lot itself. I don't believe it has anything to do with the actual house, the family or placing a house from the library whether or not it's a post or pre-patch house. I was having lots of difficulties with my family household after my lot randomly switched over from residential to generic because everyone from the neighbourhood was coming into my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 house and I couldn't get them out. Starting a new game with your family and house saved to your library does work but you unfortunately lose all of your relationships, reward points...etc.

I realized that it most likely has to do with the single LOT itself and not the actual world because when I went to different houses in the same world theirs were listed as residential. So, to fix the problem, all I did is move my family and house from the bugged lot to a fresh lot and bam. Problem solved. I hope it works for you guys as well.

Hello
    Thankyou for posting about your experiences. It is very helpful :) Some Simmers have found that the issue has been caused by placing a build on a lot but not changing the lot type to same lot as the build they are going to place there, before placing the build onto the lot. This has caused the issue. The lot type needs to be changed before placing the lot. The issue is with the lot, not with the build.
  • Options
    KriticalKlownKriticalKlown Posts: 198 Member
    Hi i'm having the same issure with Generic lots some one help me!