The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Toddler expansion pack & why EA needs you to buy it.

Comments

• Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    If they do make an toddler/family themed expansion, it needs to do more then add toddlers to be honest. While I agree anything that ad's toddlers should add more family content that would still make for a bare bones expansion pack - they should be an addition not the theme.
  • Options
    Joey2eyeballJoey2eyeball Posts: 1,792 Member
    From reading all these posts, it seems as though no matter what EA does, The Sims franchise is doomed.
    My name is Joseph, please don't call me Joe or Joey.

Yours sincerely, Joseph :)
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    From reading all these posts, it seems as though no matter what EA does, The Sims franchise is doomed.

I respectfully disagree. I think if they put the proper investment behind the sims it could completely turn around the situation.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,874 Member

I don't know about the entire franchise, but there's enough ire about the toddler situation and dissatisfaction as to the various ways they could handle it, that I do think they're screwed on that one no matter what they choose to do. and while that IS their problem rather than ours, it will become our problem if they opt to just not release toddlers at all - which is a possibility.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member

I respectfully disagree. I think if they put the proper investment behind the sims it could completely turn around the situation.

Maybe if they sell maxis to another company the franchise can be reborn.
  • Options
    Joey2eyeballJoey2eyeball Posts: 1,792 Member

The thing is, I hope they do. I'm just wondering if EA are willing to do that.
    My name is Joseph, please don't call me Joe or Joey.

Yours sincerely, Joseph :)
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member

There was a time when that statement would have left me heartbroken. However given all that has happened since launch I would like a ringside seat to watch the drama play out.

If the company had been totally upfront with what they planned to do with the game and had bothered to listen to all the community rather than selected parts this mess might have been sorted. The only group of people I feel sorry for now are those who love TS4 as it is. They too are being punished for EA's indifference to it's long term players.

This has been factored in to my decision not to support EA unless we get toddlers and more family play. If making more money from fans is the strategy then this is the only way of us getting EA's attention.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options

The thing is, I hope they do. I'm just wondering if EA are willing to do that.

Me too, me too! That's why I created the family play thread. I wanted to show EA that it's worth investing in the sims because that would be richly rewarded.
  • Options
    101Gamer101Gamer Posts: 131 Member
    edited December 2014
    Well, here's an idea. Origin service could expand on Gallery

With in-game Clothes Shops and other commercial stuff each piece of aesthetic item made by Maxis or Players can be;
    • Earned as a reward to share or sell to others. Origin tax the transaction.
    • Sold directing from Origin to players.
    Think of DOTA2 how that works...

This may be close enough for Maxis or EA to achieving financial goals to bring these original high-demand base game features. Also a bit closer to the MMO concept,too.

"Things change" apparently, EA said.
    The Sims 4 is about Emotions and reduced CPU power consumption. Right?
    Also, complete agree with this.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    Removing the toddlers in the first place was not the wisest idea. It took a big portion of the players off the playing field. I don't care what their data says or doesn't say. Common sense says otherwise. Instead I got linear play, useless walks, and a UI that could tell me my sims were feeling flirty. Do I want to pay for them in a EP? What do you think?
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    So I read your other thread about crying like a toddler for toddlers. I'm unlikely to spend any money when the developers have that little respect for me as a consumer.

But on the chance that your other thread was basically fiction, a toddler expansion pack would be a hard sell for me. I'm not usually a "that should have been in the base game/expansion pack" complainer but this one has me singing that song. I'm not sure I'm going to pay additional money for base game functionality.
  • Options
    sunnyshaysunnyshay Posts: 2,927 Member
    Just another way to nickle and dime the consumer to spend more money. Most of the people who own this game paid $50-$80 for an incomplete game and then to turn around and charge $20 more dollar for a life stage that last like 8-15 sim days on normal. That's ludicrous.

If they want to add toddler it should be as a free update because it's something that should be in the game in the first place. Add the other family stuff in as an expansion/game pack, whatever the clever marketing term is.

Personally, I won't be satisfied until I can build basements again, but that another subject.
    Origin ID: Shar1W
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    I worried that if we do get toddlers in an expansion, it might not go well, only because it wouldn't fix the other elements that are missing or overpowering in the game. They could deliver toddlers, then once everyone gleefully runs off to play with them for awhile, they realize the gameplay still isn't family oriented and there still isn't that much to do. Then what?
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,338 Member
    I feel toddlers will eventually be in the game once they release a family oriented title like Generations which will include the missing family tree's cause it only make sense for missing family tree's to be in a game titled Generations.
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    So the mods moved this thread to the idea's corner from the main discussion forum, which I find hilarious because it implies that I'm providing suggestions for EA suits to best make money from their fan base? Too funny!
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    So the mods moved this thread to the idea's corner from the main discussion forum, which I find hilarious because it implies that I'm providing suggestions for EA suits to best make money from their fan base? Too funny!

You've seen the other post here, right? "What does the sims 4 need to succeed?" I guess it's more appropriate to have moved that one here but neither of them exactly fit the spirit of this section of the forums >.>
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »

The other way to consider it is that EA doesn't want embarrassing adverse publicity on the front page of General discussion. What is interesting is how quickly this thread has been moved.

I agree this thread has some great ideas and suggestions "for the suits" which they are getting for free. While we get nothing, not even a peep about toddlers and family play :(

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    CoffeeKattCoffeeKatt Posts: 56 Member
    I'd be conflicted about buying a toddler expansion. On one hand it's badly needed in the game. On the other hand I'd feel like I was rewarding their poor design decisions with my purchase.
  • Options
    CoffeeKatt wrote: »
    I'd be conflicted about buying a toddler expansion. On one hand it's badly needed in the game. On the other hand I'd feel like I was rewarding their poor design decisions with my purchase.

That's my position too. I don't intend to reward that because it infers that we deserve to be made to pay more than others to enjoy the game. For me that's inappropriate.
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member

Exactly!!

I refuse to pay for EA'S decision to create an online game, scrap it and rush a pc game out. Their mistake, their decision and I refuse to reward them with my $$$$.
    And that is MY DECISION!!!

KIM :\

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I think I said this before, but here's an idea: what if they had basic toddlers as free DLC (toddlers, plus basic interactions/clothes/objects), then released a Generations EP or GP that expanded toddler options along with options for the entire family? Plus a patch that would add family trees for all players? That way those who really don't want toddlers could not download and install the DLC. Somehow the pack would have to be programmed to ignore the toddler interactions/objects if no toddlers are present in the game, so I'm not sure if it's feasible, but I think it would be a very fair way to handle the issue.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    FusionFang7FusionFang7 Posts: 90 Member
    I don't understand a lot of these arguments. Isn't not having toddlers already costing them tons of potential sales? Is it really too much to ask them to invest a little and get a bigger return for it?
  • Options
    diditrekdiditrek Posts: 20 Member
    I think that if revenue is the issue having a separate game pack for toddlers is a great idea. This way only those who want the toddlers in their game and are willing to spend the money will have the toddlers. It is sort of like Pets in S3. Not everyone likes the Pets or even wants them in their game. Personally, I really miss the toddlers. They were my favorite part of the family. The toddlers also offered a more complex game which gave me more enjoyment. I would gladly pay to have the toddlers in my game.
  • Options
    noteye32noteye32 Posts: 250 Member
    @applefeather2

maybe they need to provide a one time discount on any expansion pack you want (whenever they come out) for people that purchased the game at full price with no current discount. (doubt that would actually happen tho)
  • Options
    pupunikpupunik Posts: 62 Member
    hello come to the forum yes northern america to know if you guys also feel upset about the lack of tolddler in the game. here at least many of the longtime fans or looked at the game for not having the best time of life of a couple, and one of the cutest stages of life. prefer to stay with the 3 already that it has a larger world and the babies, and not to mention that and also more fun. EO at least will not take my money and not these my colegas.e so some new players. now will be what they really want to make money?