May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In Honor of Sims 4 Outrage - A Look at the Lacking Sims 3 Base Game

WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
Since everyone is making Sims 4 out to be an awful game already before it's even released, I'd like to take us all back in time for a second. The year is 2009. Sims 3 is about to be released and everyone has lost their chill. Why's that you ask? Because compared to Sims 2, Sims 3 looks terrible. I mean look at everything the base game is missing.

Missing Gameplay Elements:

No interactable fully functional restaurants
No interactable fully functional grocery stores
No interactable fully functional clothing shops
No aspirations
No lifetime aspiration meter or anything to show how fulfilling your sims life has been
No fears
No private schools and wooing the headmaster “minigame to get into private school”
No dating system and dating “minigame” to get a perfect date
No interests
No turn ons and turn offs
No memories
No aliens
Hedges, flowers and trees never require maintenance (trimming, watering, etc.) and they never die
Environment and comfort needs removed
No illnesses
No inheritance when family dies
No need to buy clothes
No cockroaches for dirty homes
No zodiac signs
Can’t bathe babies and toddlers
No cleaning skill
No yoga or meditation skills
No car animations or interactions
No unlockable secret lots
No basements
Teens don't get acne
No need for friends to get promoted
No chance cards from work
No lifetime relationship bar
Less control over inactive families because of story progression
More difficulties in rotational play
No personality points
Only one world to play in
Cartoon charm graphic style lost and replaced by more realistic graphics
Sims have "pudding face" which a lot of people don't like

Missing Items:

No pianos
No recliners
No diving boards or pool slides
No hot tubs
No magazines
No wedding arch
No changing tables

Miscellaneous:

No cinematics for moving, woohooing, etc.
No underwear clothing category
Missing NPCs: Exterminator, headmaster, social bunny, tragic clown, therapist, gardener, butler, or nanny
No body shop application
Can’t create new neighborhoods in-game
Couldn't add new lots to towns
Difficult finding space for new lots when function was added
Each job doesn’t have a career reward
Most community lots are rabbit holes that you can't see your sim in
Hair doesn't move

Anything I missed?
Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

Post edited by Wilderwolf on

Comments

• Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    Add to list:

Moving hair
    hidden lots
  • Options
    meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    I remember all of this!
  • Options
    Thanks, I added the moving hair. I have no unlockable secret lots already in the list though.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    stickman1676stickman1676 Posts: 91 Member
    I remember being very disappointed in 3 at first. I took a few years break after a little while too. Now I am back and ready for Sims 4!
  • Options
    Wilderwolf wrote: »
    Thanks, I added the moving hair. I have no unlockable secret lots already in the list though.

Add to List:
    Two relationship bars (In TS2 and in TS4)
    Chance cards (work)
    Exterminators
    Nanny
    Butler
    Gardner
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    chester12 wrote: »
    Good list. I only played Sims 3 back in 2009 and remember the rabbitholes, I hated them. Did they stop doing rabbitholes in the other Sims 3 EPs?

Nope, they continued to add more and more rabbitholes with almost every expansion.

Add to List:
    Chance cards (work)
    Exterminators
    Nanny
    Butler
    Gardner

I have the missing NPCs all listed together and I just added chance cards right before you posted. haha Good call on the relationship bar though! I completely forgot that wasn't in Sims 3.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    stickman1676stickman1676 Posts: 91 Member
    chester12 wrote: »
    Good list. I only played Sims 3 back in 2009 and remember the rabbitholes, I hated them. Did they stop doing rabbitholes in the other Sims 3 EPs?

Hey hey, welcome back Chester
  • Options

Add to List:
    Chance cards (work)
    Exterminators
    Nanny
    Butler
    Gardner

I have the missing NPCs all listed together and I just added chance cards right before you posted. haha Good call on the relationship bar though! I completely forgot that wasn't in Sims 3.

Thanks! Just here to help!

~Kaleb

• Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member

Add to List:
    Chance cards (work)
    Exterminators
    Nanny
    Butler
    Gardner

Um opportunities are chance cards. They serve the same basic function. So yeah.
  • Options
    PestoPastaPestoPasta Posts: 60 Member
    If you look at the glass as half empty, life will never be satisfying! The glass is always a little bit empty but that isn't what truly matters.
  • Options
    No restaurants
    No grocery stores

Base game TS3 had both of these things. They were rabbit holes, but they still served that function. *eye roll*
  • Options

Add to List:
    Chance cards (work)
    Exterminators
    Nanny
    Butler
    Gardner

No they don't, chance cards can get you fired/demoted/paid/raise/friends/gifts, opportunities you don't have to do, and are lagged out/glitchy.
  • Options

Add to List:
    Chance cards (work)
    Exterminators
    Nanny
    Butler
    Gardner

Nope, opportunities and chance cards were completely different. Opportunities in Sims 3 were things our sims had to do, such as read a book or collect gemstones, but chance cards were funny things we had to choose an option for and it had a random affect such as giving out a promotion/demotion, filling the sims needs, firing them, etc.

Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    No comfort need. You just get +/++/+++ on comfort items now. It's an outrage, I say.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    No restaurants
    No grocery stores

Base game TS3 had both of these things. They were rabbit holes, but they still served that function. *eye roll*

OP, change it from what he said to "No open restaurants, and no open grocery stores", yeah, they don't serve the same purpose @fadingaudio... sorry...

~Kaleb
  • Options
    dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Were all those things in the sims 2 base game? The two things that sims 3 had in the base game that super excited me was the open world and CASt. Those are the two things I will really miss in sims 4.
    2rxu2ph.png
  • Options
    LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member

Add to List:
    Chance cards (work)
    Exterminators
    Nanny
    Butler
    Gardner

No they don't, chance cards can get you fired/demoted/paid/raise/friends/gifts, opportunities you don't have to do, and are lagged out/glitchy.

Agreed and opportunities were not work orientated but centered around everything. from food,to travel to lot visiting.
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • Options
    No restaurants
    No grocery stores

Did you ever play Sims 2? They're completely different from Sims 3 restaurants and grocery stores.

Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif

• Options
    keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    No restaurants
    No grocery stores

Did you ever play Sims 2? They're completely different from Sims 3 restaurants and grocery stores.

Yup. You go and get yourself a table and even order your food from a waitress.
  • Options
    LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited August 2014
    No restaurants
    No grocery stores

then you would know that he ment exactly that. they were rabbit holes..NOW. there was no walking into stores and seeing anything *eye roll*
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • Options

Add to List:
    Chance cards (work)
    Exterminators
    Nanny
    Butler
    Gardner

TS2 had chance cards that were random and didn't affect your work too. I know I hate getting them all the time. Kids and teens also got them. So yeah they served the same basic function. The whole thing is disingenuous at best, we both know this.

"A chance card is a randomly-occurring game event, happening usually while a Sim is at work. Chance cards present the player with two choices, with both choices having positive and negative potential outcomes. These outcomes can result in a Sim receiving a bonus or getting fined Simoleons, gaining or losing skill points, getting promoted, getting demoted, or getting fired. Chance cards were introduced in The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories, and appear - in a much more limited form - in The Sims 3 and The Sims Medieval. "

I don't even like TS3 and I still think you are being disingenuous. Should be a hint ;)
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Oof... I never knew of these missing features since I never played The Sims 2. Wonder how people reacted back then... Was it as bad as the initial reception of The Sims 4?