Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What new computer would I update to to play Sims 4 on Ultra (guesstimate)?

Comments

• Options
    whitknight26whitknight26 Posts: 106 Member
    Alright, then when the game comes out you can determine if you need to make adjustments
  • Options
    ArubianaCalienteArubianaCaliente Posts: 448 Member
    edited August 2014
    I think AMD paired up with EA for Sims 4
    Here's a link with Simgurugraham Grant talking about the Sims 4 with AMD http://youtu.be/0kAjN0trW8U

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful with the graphic card question. Your current motherboard might not be compatible with the newer cards. My current pc isn't so I'm building a new one to get better graphics.

ETA: This card might fit your needs. Have the techie in your life check to make sure your motherboard, cpu and case can handle it. You could also go with a higher grade card, but I think this might work for you.
    SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100364VXL Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support OC WITH BOOST Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-202-059
    Please check out my Youtube channel, thanks! https://youtube.com/user/RubySimsFatale
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The current mother board can't crossfire or sli - it has pcie v 2.0 so just match that with a card..if you have to end up getting one.

edit - sorry..it has pcie v 3.0 for the graphics card slot - you should be able to use any card
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Hey @ASHCRASH19 hey I have the same processor, it's a sweet gamers processor. The issue you have isn't motherboard as much as space, your motherboard is a mini so the case maybe too small to put in any current card. I ran into this problem so I simply got a new case.

As for cards I got msi overclocked 270x , but you can pick any card you like, again it's truly a sweet processor but if u do go for a say a Titan level i would overclock the processor and if so I then suggest getting a new board like z77 , another thing I've done.

Re PSU any good card requires plugging directly into the psu, if you're psu is as old as the i5 you'll need to replace, and get a fully modular psu. But basically you should replace just based on age. I promise replacing psu and card is easy, it's the picking that may be hard .

So for nvidia 750 or higher and amd 270 or higher. And select psu after selecting card.
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,419 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm sorry whitknight26 but what you just said went completely over my head...so that card ArubianaCaliente listed would work? Any links to graphic cards is helpful, as I honestly have no clue how to make sure the wattage and everything match up. I'm such a noob when it comes to those things. :s
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Hey @ASHCRASH19 hey I have the same processor, it's a sweet gamers processor. The issue you have isn't motherboard as much as space, your motherboard is a mini so the case maybe too small to put in any current card. I ran into this problem so I simply got a new case.

As for cards I got msi overclocked 270x , but you can pick any card you like, again it's truly a sweet processor but if u do go for a say a Titan level i would overclock the processor and if so I then suggest getting a new board like z77 , another thing I've done.

Re PSU any good card requires plugging directly into the psu, if you're psu is as old as the i5 you'll need to replace, and get a fully modular psu. But basically you should replace just based on age. I promise replacing psu and card is easy, it's the picking that may be hard .

So for nvidia 750 or higher and amd 270 or higher. And select psu after selecting card.

Wow, haha. O_O

Um, would I essentially need/want to buy a whole new computer then if the the case and PSU might also be a problem? This is a bit mind-boggling, sorry.

• Options
    I can't list links on this dang forum yet because of the whole point system - even though I've had an account here for nearly two years...but whatever.

If you google extreme power supply calculator and input all the variables with the desired card - that will help you out.
  • Options
    It looks like it will since your board has a PCI 3.0 slot. Your case may not be able to hold this card because it's rather large.
    I could look up a case and power supply for you, and post it here. Those more knowledgeable can correct me/the choices if I'm wrong.
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    I'm sorry whitknight26 but what you just said went completely over my head...so that card ArubianaCaliente listed would work? Any links to graphic cards is helpful, as I honestly have no clue how to make sure the wattage and everything match up. I'm such a noob when it comes to those things. :s

Please check out my Youtube channel, thanks! https://youtube.com/user/RubySimsFatale
  • Options
    The 270x is a decent card I'm running the middle brother - the 280x - and the 270x will run circles around your current card. But, you will want to look into the other above suggestions about the case/psu(power supply unit) etc. Then if you are dead set on doing this on your own - just google anything you don't understand for definitions and then use youtube to find video's of people taking apart and putting the systems back together. If you get a newer card I'm sure there's a video somewhere showing exactly what you need to do.
  • Options
    Found out my motherboard info. :)

2janfbn.png

P.S. I haven't updated my BIOS in a while because I know that has the potential to royally mess up a PC if not done correctly...and I'm definitely not a PC professional. :P

Wow, haha. O_O

Um, would I essentially need/want to buy a whole new computer then if the the case and PSU might also be a problem? This is a bit mind-boggling, sorry.
    dont panic :) i promise changing psu is easy but you can also have a pro do it. you will need to open case and review how much space you have for the card. typically its the hard drive that is in the way. if you take a pix on the inside i may be able to guess estimate :)
  • Options
    metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    edited August 2014
    That MoBo seems newer than mine, and my 750 Ti works like a charm in my Mobo Asus P6X58D-E . I guess you are safe to get a new video card.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • Options
    JennaBean93JennaBean93 Posts: 84 Member
    a potato
    karlpilkingtonplz.png?1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Lastly - if you have questions to answers you just can't seem to find - head over to the site tom's hardware. There are plenty of helpful people there.
  • Options
    Ah, I have heard of that place. I could talk to a professional about this, I just don't want to be taken advantage of since I'm obviously a newbie to this stuff.
  • Options
    metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member

OMG I I didn't consider this. Sometimes I wonder how in the hell I managed to build my own machine lol.

If you don't have enough room on your case, a new card might not fit (even though the GTX 750 Ti is small)
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Here we go

Video card I chose this a base line you could up to a 280 280x 290 or 290x: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202059&cm_re=270x_vapor-_-14-202-059-_-Product

If you prefer nvidia cards here's one in the same price range as the 270x: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933&cm_re=GTX_760-_-14-130-933-_-Product

Case: I chose this one because it's easy to open and has enough room for the card: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139013&cm_re=corsair_vengeance_c70-_-11-139-013-_-Product

Power supply its from a reputable brand I'm not sure if you can use it in SLI or Crossfire, but you really only need one video card for TS4:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171079&cm_re=cooler_master_power_supply-_-17-171-079-_-Product

ETA this is just a guide, I hope the more knowledgeable techies will correct and critique as necessary.
  • Options
    Okay, so these are the stock images for my rig:

83-229-284-08.jpg

83-229-284-07.jpg

83-229-284-09.jpg

• Options
    sohfoxsohfox Posts: 255 Member
    edited August 2014
    your video card is more then powerful enough for ultra. Honestly, it is. *I should go on to say unless this game is dismally optimized. I have a laptop from 2010.. I7 2.83 ghz, 8 gbs RAM, 1.5 gbs dedicated radeon 5730M 7200 RPM HDD I ran CAS demo maxed out at 1920X1080 No problem at all, not even a slight hitch, I don't have FPS meter but definitely above 60+ at all times.
    my art http://anenfairy.deviantart.com
    My favorite sims: TS3
  • Options
    ok good! the green is the hard drive space that looks like its less than an inch from the card- i think you may have issues with space :( sorry.
  • Options
    double check with the calculator but I'm pretty sure that the psu is fine for either GTX 760 or the 270x. That looks like a mid-tower. I'm not sure about space. You could always find the card dimensions and then measure it yourself.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    *sigh* would be nice if this could be upgraded easily, but there's always something. :pensive::stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. My monitor is a 24 inch ASUS in case that matters. I know higher resolutions can affect settings too in gaming.
  • Options
    The 270x I mentioned is 264(L)X103(W)X35(H) mm
    The 760 is Height: 4.376in - 111.15mm Length: 9.5in - 241mm
  • Options
    joop123joop123 Posts: 1,616 Member
    i have a 2007 dell dimension 9200 with a 2012 AMD radeon HD 7450 works great with the cas demo! :)
    •New Zealand
    •Collectors Edition + Headset
    Story behind my username: it's a unisex spray, when i made my account i couldn't think of anything so i chose that :P

Sims%2Bseries%2B%28512x146%29.jpgSims4SpinningBlumbot.gif

• Options
    double check with the calculator but I'm pretty sure that the psu is fine for either GTX 760 or the 270x. That looks like a mid-tower. I'm not sure about space. You could always find the card dimensions and then measure it yourself.

its not only about watts, psu at four years should be replaced also again current cards require plugging directly into the psu, many older psu do not provide this option another reason to update.
  • Options
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > whitknight26 wrote: »
    >
    > double check with the calculator but I'm pretty sure that the psu is fine for either GTX 760 or the 270x. That looks like a mid-tower. I'm not sure about space. You could always find the card dimensions and then measure it yourself.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > its not only about watts, psu at four years should be replaced also again current cards require plugging directly into the psu, many older psu do not provide this option another reason to update.

That's a good call - I didn't even think about that.