Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ssd or hdd to running sims 4

PHILL46PHILL46 Posts: 19 Member
edited August 2014 in PC - Technical Discussions
hi all name phill don't know if this has been asked before I got dual windows on pc windows 8.1 on ssd and windows 7 on hdd would sims work on ssd or should I keep it to windows 7 got 2tb space on hdd 120gb on ssd any help most appreciated phill

Comments

• Options
    NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Posts: 119 Member
    edited August 2014
    A Solid State Drive would obviously be the ideal choice for executing and loading assets for any video game on the market today, thou i can not say for sure what type of optimization The Sims 4 will have regarding this.

Personally i would using the Windows 8.1 SSD location for the Sims4, just because it's a newer game title and odds are Maxis will optimize for Windows 8 first, then go backwards from there. - But this is "Ideally" so i too would like to see what a Maxis Dev would say regarding this, if possible.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    120GB is not all that much space.. honestly I would install on the HDD.
    Installing on the SSD might give you slightly quicker loading times but that's about it.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Posts: 119 Member
    edited August 2014
    Sadly SSD is still a very new piece of technology so storage space can be a bit of an obstacle due to the hefty price tag that comes with having larger amounts of diskspace, especially if the owner of a SSD is a gamer.

Here is a guide i find useful for Sold State Drive Management.

The ultimate guide to proper SSD management
    120GB is not all that much space.. honestly I would install on the HDD.
    Installing on the SSD might give you slightly quicker loading times but that's about it.

Normally the average person would choose the drive with more space, but mechanical drives work very differently then Solid State Drives, so it can be easy be hesitant about choosing the SSD due to it's low-storage count.

The thing about Mechanical drives is they thrive more efficiently when they are at high disk counts and are well-managed and kept clean.

While SSD's are a different beast altogether and will run at the constant efficiency even when it is down to 5 gigabytes of drive space. That's the beauty of them, and also why they cost so much and the drive space is so low normally.

But while SSD loading is by far faster then anything out there, i wouldn't say it's something vital for TS4, as the system requirements are actually quite low in comparison to games coming out this year.

Personally i would go with whatever had windows 8 on it since 8 is far more stable gaming-wise versus 7, but 7 is still fairly stable so i would more then likely agree to say go with whatever you fancy. :)
  • Options
    JPG619JPG619 Posts: 460 Member
    I would install it to the SSD but if it was my choice I have 7 on the SSD since I think 8 is not the best OS out there. I hate the tablet feel to it.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited August 2014
    JPG619 wrote: »
    I would install it to the SSD but if it was my choice I have 7 on the SSD since I think 8 is not the best OS out there. I hate the tablet feel to it.
    Agree with the tablet feel to windows 8... it's terrible for mouse and keyboard uses.. might be ok for touch screen.
    You can always install on the ssd and if it is no faster and you want to free up space then re install on HDD.
    That's what I might do.. I only have 100GB left on my SSD.
    I'm just judging by the sims 3.. it was no faster at all on my SSD.

EDIT: don't know how that would work with dual windows though.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    PHILL46PHILL46 Posts: 19 Member
    hi all thanks very much for replys I was wondering about space I got sims 3 on hdd at moment wonder if I could put sims 4 on both I suppose if I used my same origin account for both might work never tried it
  • Options
    mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    PHILL46 wrote: »
    hi all thanks very much for replys I was wondering about space I got sims 3 on hdd at moment wonder if I could put sims 4 on both I suppose if I used my same origin account for both might work never tried it

You can install Origin games on multiple computers. You might not be able to run both at the same time, but you can install it on both and see what you prefer.