Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How long have you been Simming?

With The Sims 4 release just around the corner (as far as we know) I have been, like I'm sure a lot of us have, feeling rather nostalgic for the old days when all of the Sim and Sims games were still new. So I thought, how long have I been playing these games, anyway?

The answer to that is, surprisingly (for me) about 15 years, from SimFarm and SimTower to SimCity 2000 to The Sims and SimCity 4 to the newest generations and then back currently to SimCity 4. It's been great, mostly. :)
I will admit I'm very apprehensive about the next generation of Sim games, but I guess that's just the way things are until I graduate and start making better quality games. :P

What about you? How long have you been playing? Do you have any fond memories to share?
q6goV2s.png
Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!

Comments

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited July 2014
    13 yrs for me.. Started out playing TS1. No real memories to share.. The one that comes to mind is when me and my brother trapped the tragic clown in a 4x4 room with a rug, fireplace, and a picture of himself over the fireplace. It was hilarious to watch him burn to death. :twisted:
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ImberisImberis Posts: 99 Member
    edited July 2014
    I started with all of the SimCity branch-offs (SimFarm, etc), and then I saw an ad for The Sims 1. I got it on release day, which little me had never done before.

I still remember the first time I found out that you could drown a Sim in the pool. Ah, memories.
  • Options
    MissHoney118MissHoney118 Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2014
    I started with TS2 after Christmas 2005 when my mum got it. Eventually I sort of took the game over.

I remember my first family, it consisted of a mum, a dad and their (child) daughter. They lived in Veronaville. The daughter had her birthday party and she disappeared. I later figured out that she had died, or perhaps social services came. The mum got pregnant again, but she also disappeared (while being pregnant). After a while I found her urn next to a wardrobe, which you couldn't see from the front of the house. The father of the family was all depressed after that.

But I've learned from my (many) mistakes. :wink:
    23u1xdu.gif
  • Options
    King4510411King4510411 Posts: 2,056 Member
    edited July 2014
    I started around 10 years ago. My daughter got me hooked :D
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    My first Will Wright game was SimEarth, 1990. I bought it for my then-husband, a geologist, but he was never much of a gamer, so I ended up getting into it. Bought the original Sims when it first came out in 2000, been simming ever since.
  • Options
    StilettoBlackStilettoBlack Posts: 3,844 Member
    edited July 2014
    Since 1989! :lol: Sim City for Nintendo. I was so addicted. I would build the city and watch the little people go to their jobs and to their little houses. I always wondered what they did in their little houses.
    In 2001 The Sims came out for pc. My husband (bf then) told me I could finally see what they do in their houses! :D ...but I didn't have a pc. We bought my 1st computer just to play The Sims. The rest is history. :P
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't remember, but it has been maybe a decade and a half. :P
  • Options
    ArachneArachne Posts: 238 Member
    edited July 2014
    I got SimLife when it came out in 1992. Never was very good at it. I got Sim's Double Deluxe around the time it came out and I've been going off and on ever since.
  • Options
    LaellaLaella Posts: 519 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've been playing The Sims since 2003 so 11 years.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited July 2014
    Can't really remember how long I have been playing. Started out with Sim City and hubby bought me The Sims. I didn't much care for it so played other games including later versions of Sim City. When I saw an ad for TS2 I bought it and really enjoyed it. I didn't get many EPs but that's just the way I am. I don't need much to make me happy. I even have very few EPs installed for TS3 and I have never tired of it. I got TS3 very soon after it came out and have been playing ever since. I shall continue to play TS3 as I am not sold on TS4.
  • Options
    Bookworm742Bookworm742 Posts: 4,068 Member
    edited July 2014
    Since sometime after the sims released, but before house party. I totally blame my brother's best friend, who just had to bring his new game over to show us. :lol: totally his fault, I tell you! :lol:
  • Options
    mcmuffinburgermcmuffinburger Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited July 2014
    10 years or more i think ive been playing since i was in the 5th grade im 21 now
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited July 2014
    Well, I played Simcity at some point in the mid 1990's, but not a lot. My sister had Sims 1, but I never felt compelled to try it for some reason. I didn't get hooked until after I was married and my husband bought Sims 2 console version in 2005. So, really 9 years. I've had everything since then- Bustin' Out, Urbz, Sims 2 PC, Sims 3...

I do remember absolutely loving the underwater location in Sims 2 for the console and wishing I could have it on the PC. :)
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited July 2014
    I played SimCity before I ever even knew of any other sim type games. But I don't really consider that my simming days. I didn't play with any regularity. Just off and on. I truly got into simming with Sims 1. The first EP had just been released and I got ahold of a base game copy of Sims 1, got hooked, immediately went out and bought the base game and EP (Something party... I don't remember the name of it). I've been hooked on the series since then.

I've bought everything sims 1, Sims 2, Sims 3 have put out - I don't imagine Sims 4 being any different (even though there are many things I'm not currently happy with/about). I have the newer SimCity and the Cities of Tomorrow, or something EP thing. But I only play that one sporadically, still. Sims is my true game. I've played others, I've dabbled in others... I always stick with my little simmies. They understand I am their God, and -while mostly generous - I tend to have a dark side if they tick me off too much. We love/hate each other.

I still play ts2 AND ts3... that won't change with ts4. Just have to learn my new playstyle.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    DaB1gVDaB1gV Posts: 684 Member
    edited July 2014
    Started with Sims 3 early 2012 :D

I had just gotten out of hospital after having one hell of a crappy experience (3 weeks with steroids making me feel awful) and we went to the local Westfields. I saw it, I wanted it, I got it. I think it was that at that point my parents were feeling so bad for me, that they just wanted to make me feel better :?
  • Options
    awkwardsquirrel0awkwardsquirrel0 Posts: 32 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Since the summer of 2012. My friend let me play it on her computer and I went out the next day and bought my own copy. I've been hooked ever since!
  • Options
    mcmuffinburgermcmuffinburger Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited July 2014
    It was christmas and i was at my aunts house and she was so excited to show me this game where you control little people, and I was most fascinated by the fact you could make them use the bathroom :lol::lol: and I think it was the next day I begged my dad to take me to best buy but I was so mad I had forgotten the name of it but my dad remembered the name and I almost bought unleashed instead of the base game but this knowledgeable man (its hard to find a store associate knowledgeable about games)told me i needed to get the base game first before i could play that one, and till this day i think my dad regrets remembering the name of the game :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2014
    Hi :D

I've only been Simming since near the end of The Sims series (2003?). I was so bored one day I tried the old game that was stuck in the back of my game closet. :lol:

Then I stayed up all night playing the base game. It didn't play well on my computer but I had fun restarting every Sim week... loved the 100 game day popups. :D

• Options
    Avila15Avila15 Posts: 23
    edited July 2014
    I've been playing Sims 3 since 2011 when my friend told me about it. I've loved it ever since. I've never played Sims 2, but it looks really fun as well.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've been simming since the early days of TS2. I bought the TS2 base game a few weeks after its release. I played until Bon Voyage and then burned out, but still bought Freetime. Then I went back to school and stayed away from TS3 because I couldn't afford a TS3 addiction. I came back 6 months ago after finding the series heavily discounted on Steam.
  • Options
    BalaefrogBalaefrog Posts: 48 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm a recent joiner to The Sims franchise :D. I joined after my brother bought The Sims 3 for me for my birthday, just last year in August! Ever since the first day I played I have been completely hooked, and I have a suspicion that my brother has pre-ordered The Sims 4 for my birthday this year too :). According to Origin, I've been playing The Sims 3 for 337 hours.
    A memory I have is the first time I ever played, depriving all of my sims of sleep for two days because I didn't get why they couldn't get into bed (the beds were too close together). And I took such bad care of their toddler that he went insane...
  • Options
    coreyjeannoahpatcoreyjeannoahpat Posts: 345 Member
    edited July 2014
    I started out on Rollercoaster Tycoon. I remember thinking "I wish I could do more with the crowds, the people in the game, like control and direct them to do stuff" Later when I came across the case for Rollercoaster Tycoon (that I'd lost) I saw there was an advertisement paper thingy for Sims1. So I thought "huh, that sounds pretty much like what I was just thinking about". So I tried it, got hooked, been simming ever since! About 12 years then?

I've had 1, 2, and 3. Think I like 3 the best.

But I often try to do things from Sims2 in my Sims3 games. For instance, in Sims3 I'll be playing and get a thought in my head that I should try to get a male sim impregnated by an alien using a telescope after midnight on the highest level of the house. So I set it up, and just when I start to wonder why it isn't working I realize...*facepalm* Wrong game, lol.

Also from Sims2, my son and I still say "Oh, crabbits. Navu?!" like the sims in 2 said when they couldn't get to an object and were frustrated. It just kind of worked it's way into our family language somehow and stuck. :mrgreen:
    “Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart”
    --Eleanor Roosevelt

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”
  • Options
    t3istedt3isted Posts: 28
    edited July 2014
    I picked up Sims 1 those many years ago and was addicted for some time... it was so easy to kill 'em back then :lol: Had 3 expansions packs, had fun making cc and moding... also SimCity. Then real life stuff/other games kicked in and I completely skipped Sims 2, and came back with Sims 3. Took another break from Sims 3, then saw ads for Sims 4 and started playing Sims 3 again about a month ago... got hooked, again.

So for me it's kind of sad, since Sims 4 is coming out soon and I just got into Sims 3 again. Good thing is at least I got all the expansion packs at a discounted price :wink:
  • Options
    Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    edited July 2014
    Since the sims came out on ps2 (can't remember the year) then got hooked and slowly started playing onto the computer when sims 2 was nearly complete and was moving onto sims 3. Like a poster above, I too started with Rollercoaster Tycoon (with thanks to my brother having it :lol: )
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,581 Member
    edited July 2014
    Since the Summer of 2005. I started out with Sims2.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/