Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Invisible EA's Roof Decorations

Hi, everyone!
I really like meshes of those EA store roof decorations, but I can't see them from edit town view.
screenshot_original.jpg
I know, by CC is this possible (on IMG you can see Goggalor's Mansard roof conversion).
Is there some way to make it visible from map view? My graphic settings in game isn't so bad, but if I use EA's content, I can see only nude floring, what prevents me to fully enjoy EA's creations.
(Even S3PE tutorial welcome).
Thank you for eventually help. :wink:

(I've already searched with Google, even asked in "How to edit ..." topic on 3rd parties site, but I don't get helpfull answer).
"My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).

Comments

• Options
    Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited May 2014
    Update: just discovered it regards too Russian set, Ghostly Manor and even DVD's (EP's) content:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Someone is able to view those roof decorations from Edit Town (= map view)?
    Please, give me an advice (even with mod or trough S3PE using).
    Thank you.

Edit: solved, but won't bumping this thread again. How? (If is there someone interested):
    S3PE --> OBJD --> Grid --> Object type flags --> [12] Large object --> true
    Sfortunatelly I can't share it with you, because it is an OBJD override. :?

2nd Edit: result isn't so fabulous for Greenhouse pieces (need understand why), but for the rest I'm happy as an easter egg. :D:D:D
    screenshot_original.jpg

3rd Edit: finally got it work:
    screenshot_original.jpgOnly for greenhouse pieces:
    S3PE --> OBJD --> Grid --> Object type flags --> [12] Large object --> true
    S3PE --> OBJD --> Grid --> ObjectTypeFlags2 --> [0C] --> False

About greenhouse I don't know, what exactly resource [0C] means (not found nowhere), but I've seen this setting opening old greenhouse fix from Inge. Then it has been fixed by store-team.
    Try at yours own risk!!!

Edit four: thanks to advice of SnapDragon I've seen too, that only Greenhouse pieces are hiding, when in lower floors ---> still WIP
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • Options
    SnapdragonSnapdragon Posts: 955 Member
    edited May 2014
    This is a fantastic find, so thank you for this.
    But I have a question: When you convert the roof decoration pieces with s3pe like you described, how is their behaviour in-game then? Do they vanish with walls down? I am thinking of what the fake skyscraper roof decorations that came with Roaring Heights do: while they are already visible in map view, unfortunataly they also remain solid in live mode and tend to hover over a building.
    There are some other objects that do this, like some fountains, the Foo dog sculptures and the terracotta army from World Adventures and the huge "mayor" sculpture from the base game, among others.
    If your conversions do this, too, after a while then this could make playing with such a house rather inconvenient because the roof decorations will be always in the way of the camera because they don't fade anymore.
    Usually this doesn't become apparent when you play such a house for the first time, but these objects tend to "solidify" after a while.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hi, Snapdragon!

Thank you for pointing at this: now I've seen those for the 1st time in my usual game folder in live mode (it was tested on fabbric clean folder) and I've seen, that roof pieces aren't hiding, when in lower floors.
    Goggalors mansard roof conversion is created as wall decor - those pieces are visible from Map view and aren't disturbing view in lower floors.
    Thank you so much for yours feedback, I'll work on this confronting with another files and I hope, that I'll find a solution. I won't give it up now.
    (Hoping, that this computer remains with me, because preordered some check-up this week with PC-guy. I'll have to use my old-friend-PC with only 4GB installed and only up to SN with few store items and probably without i-net).

Edited, because today discovered in game, that this solution has "nay" (disturbed view) for greenhouse pieces too.

Edit2: a little update, because I won't bump it: I've found courage to download decompiler on my PC (never used this before) and in decompiled files are listed some flags more (respect Simswiki) ... now shaking my head to undestand it :oops:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    A little update:
    For now I'm completelly happy with pyramid roof pieces (Sky-light studio): those are showing up in map view now, but aren't disturbing more in lower floors view, when on lot.
    Thanks to Inge, who adviced me to look at mysterious OBJD flags (without descriptions ticked on those objects by EA) with IlSpy. I used it never before and I was affraid, but it doesn't ate my PC. :D Now are those ObjectFlags2 updated too on Simswiki.
    OK, if is someone interested: my current setting for those pyramid pieces is:
    ObjectFlags [12] large object true; ObjectFlags2 [11]IsGreenhouse true. Another things on original EA settings not changed.
    I'll not post screenshot yet, because tomorrow I have to send my PC for checkup and I have still some things to do with it.
    I'm not sure, what I can try to do with turrets and another pieces, but I'll try it on my old PC, because I want really see all those beautifull deco from map view (and not nude flooring).
    If I'll see some interesting here in this topic, I'll continue with updating it. If not, I'll not disturb more.
    Have a marvelous day everyone! :wink:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Congratulations! So, if I understand you correctly, you extracted the OBJD resource and after editing saved it as a separate package file to create an override for the Override folder in Mods?
    I understand the process roughly but have never done this myself. Can you point me to a tutorial on how to create object overrides myself. Both the Roaring Heights roof pieces obstructing my view and the other roof pieces vanishing in map view annoy me greatly.
    Or may I suggest to upload your overrides, once they're fully tested, at MTS? As far as I know object overrides do not break the EULA because you will still need the original object for the override to work. So, no piracy involved :wink:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hi, Snapdragon!
    I haven't tried this out with Roaring heights sky-scrapers - I'm not using so much modern buildings.
    Another words are correct:
    I've modified OBJD and then extracted it as single package and placed in Overrides folder.
    I was unhappy especially about mansard roof pieces, but this had solved for me Qahne on MTS, who has released very similar Mighty Mansard Redux set with working windows and roof pieces visible from map view, but not disturbing view from lower floors. :D
    I might take a look at those Roaring Heights sky-scrapers, but I'm still only learning and I can't promiss you some positive results.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks, Bily_jednorozec!
    In the meantime I have found NonaMena's tutorial on creating object overrides, so I guess I am good to go. But just to make it clear. In order to show up all roof pieces in Map View but have them fade when changing floors you set the flags of all of them to ObjectFlags [12] large object true; ObjectFlags2 [11]IsGreenhouse true?
    ObjectFlags [12] large object makes them appear in Map View and ObjectFlags2 [11]IsGreenhouse is responsible for the fading? Without exception or are there differences between the different roof pieces?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thank You, Snapdragon!
    I've deleted those things, it was only for to let you know - without those tools should be impossible for me to change settings on store items.;)
    ObjectFlags [12] large object true and ObjectFlags2 [11]IsGreenhouse true worked for me for all glass roof pieces (dance studio and greenhouse), not attempted on others - I've got only 2 days a go my PC back (on another old PC I haven't all installed and it don't support all my programs).
    When I've searched help by Inge at Simlogical, she answered me in few words that functions of those objects are discovered by setting and unsetting them and seeing what effect there is in the game (+ another advices). I have disturbed too NonaMena with my questions and both were very friendly and helpfull with me.
    If I'll modify not-glass-roof-deco (now I have leaved them disturbing view in lower floors), I'll test 1st time ObjectFlags [12] large object true and ObjectFlags2 [11]IsGreenhouse, if this override will not work, I'll remove this override, clean cache files and I'll attempt to make another setting on extracted OBJD package (I'm not sure, how can [11]IsGreenhouse flag work on not greenhouse pieces).
    You may take look at Qahne's mansard roofs - those aren't requiring wall for placement (differently from Goggalor's pieces). I think, there is way to understand, how we can modify another large objects. I have learned to make objects shiftable by this way - opening various overrides for vertical shifting. :wink:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Fine, I will keep on monitoring this thread and the one you have at simlogical. But I still strongly suggest that you should upload these overrides somewhere as soon as you're done. I am sure a lot of people will appreaciate this.
    (And if you don't do it, then I will and not give any credit to you :twisted: :lol: )
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I don't promiss you result, but I'll give it another try. If someone comes with override first, I'll only happy (even if you'll faster).
    I'm not making overrides for my game folder by my own for popularity, but for avoid conflict between bunch of especially OBJD overrides, which includes wall-mask fixes for windows, unlocked stencils, vertical shifting for deco and wall-lights.
    I have send you friendship request: you seem to be interesting person (I have asked friendship only few persons (not simport, not playing on-line) and don't worry, I'm not spamming so much (no sharing so much and my latest post is from Christmas) - so you can ask me too on MyPage).
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Lol, that's very nice of you and I would gladly accept the friends request, but unfortunatley I don't use the social aspects of this forum here (I wouldn't even know how to). But I'll send you a PM at simsasylum, it seems we do both have an account there, too.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    OK, then if I'll check this site, I'll check too my Inbox.;)

Edit: I think, I've found solution and posted it there.