Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The "new" recipes

Hi Guys! I got the new Bohemian Garden set yesterday and played for 1-2 hours with my premade family. My sim has almost max gardening and cooking skills but I was not yet able to discover any new recipes or make chocolate. I´m curious of what new recipes have you found and what did you do to unlock them. I know that you can make nectars but I am sure there is a way to unlock them other way too since not everyone has WA expansion and the Store does not state that you need this expansion pack.

So my sim planted and harvested all the new plants three times and got plenty of berries etc. in the inventory and also fridge but that did not unlock any new recipes so far. Also my sim had like 20 cocoa in her inventory but don´t know how to make chocolate. I will continue my new recipe seeking today with a brand new sim and family :). Please feel free to share your findings and also pictures :).

fixed the description to "new" so it wont confuse anyone.

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited March 2014
    That is very concerning news. I'm glad I didn't splash out for the whole set just to get new recipes, as there are only a few of the other items I want.

I have a feeling EA have duped us over this. I think people will find that the new 'recipes' only relates to nectar and that 'cocoa beans for chocolate' is a completely false statement.

Please someone prove me wrong!
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited March 2014
    I don't own the set but the picture I get is that they just work as all the others, so for example instead of your pancakes being called 'apple/orange/banana/etc pancakes' they can be called 'cocoa/strawberry/peach/etc pancakes', which to me sounds disappointing.
  • Options
    Krisha880Krisha880 Posts: 1,553 Member
    edited March 2014
    I don't think there are any new recipes included in this set. They never said anything about new recipes. However, they have said that the new set will go well with two upcoming sets, so I'm hoping that means a bakery, canning station, juicer and a food processor with lots and lots of new recipes!

Edit: spelling
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited March 2014
    Krisha880 wrote:
    I don't think there are any new recipes included in this set. They never said anything about new recipes.
    On the description page for the Bohemian Fruit & Nuts, it says:

* even Cocoa Beans for Chocolate
    * unlock new recipes like Strawberry Nectar

I can see how the recipes could just mean nectar (though, to me, recipes mean food dishes - and how do people make nectar anyway if they don't have WA?) but the chocolate statement is definitely misleading if there is no chocolate to be made.

I guess I will go ahead and just buy the few items I want individually. If it turns out that there are recipes with a future set then I will buy the harvestables later cos by then they may be on sale as an individual purchase. But I'd have been pretty miffed if I'd paid 1450 points for this.
  • Options
    AldermanTomAldermanTom Posts: 499 Member
    edited March 2014
    So, if I have blueberries, and I want to make Blueberry Pancakes, how can I do that, and make sure that the game will not show that I made, say apple pancakes. is there some logic , for instance, does the game look to what is in the sims inventory first, and then the fridge, or vice versa?
  • Options
    goddess0676smgoddess0676sm Posts: 3,330 Member
    edited March 2014
    I am also curious about the recipes, because otherwise how can the store claim that the new seeds are premium content unless they create a new element to the gameplay? All the animations are the same as what is already in game.

I am also curious about the nectar issue. I have seen comments time and time again that the store can only build off the base game. This has been the excuse for many disappointing items such as the Savvy Seller and the new glass blower/jewelry making premium content. So how can they make the premium items "sort of contingent" on an EP?
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited March 2014
    So, if I have blueberries, and I want to make Blueberry Pancakes, how can I do that, and make sure that the game will not show that I made, say apple pancakes. is there some logic , for instance, does the game look to what is in the sims inventory first, and then the fridge, or vice versa?

The backpack or inventory trumps the fridge, so empty your inventory of use able cooking ingredients and only put in the one ingredient you want for your food.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited March 2014
    Krisha880 wrote:
    I don't think there are any new recipes included in this set. They never said anything about new recipes.
    On the description page for the Bohemian Fruit & Nuts, it says:

* even Cocoa Beans for Chocolate
    * unlock new recipes like Strawberry Nectar

I can see how the recipes could just mean nectar (though, to me, recipes mean food dishes - and how do people make nectar anyway if they don't have WA?) but the chocolate statement is definitely misleading if there is no chocolate to be made.

I guess I will go ahead and just buy the few items I want individually. If it turns out that there are recipes with a future set then I will buy the harvestables later cos by then they may be on sale as an individual purchase. But I'd have been pretty miffed if I'd paid 1450 points for this.

Thanks for the description. It´s great if there are two sets combined like that but stating that there are cocoa beans for chocolate is a pure lie if there isn´t chocolate. Also, stating that you can unlock new recipes is false if there is no ACTUAL new recipes. It does not say that you need another set for it or expansion pack.

So what can you really do...pancakes and nectars (which is not anything NEW)....?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I am also curious about the recipes, because otherwise how can the store claim that the new seeds are premium content unless they create a new element to the gameplay? All the animations are the same as what is already in game.

I am also curious about the nectar issue. I have seen comments time and time again that the store can only build off the base game. This has been the excuse for many disappointing items such as the Savvy Seller and the new glass blower/jewelry making premium content. So how can they make the premium items "sort of contingent" on an EP?

I agree with you 100%.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited March 2014
    Most of the new recipes are probebly awaiting the bakery to unlock We ll probebly have to wait a month or two for them to be unlocked.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Most of the new recipes are probebly awaiting the bakery to unlock We ll probebly have to wait a month or two for them to be unlocked.

Yeah everyone is waiting for the bakery :D...but still the product description does not state this or say that you need another set for unlock. I was little suspicious about the nectar part but I did think the chocolate making was there and at least some kind of new things to do from the berries since they are called PC.
  • Options
    AldermanTomAldermanTom Posts: 499 Member
    edited March 2014
    blewis823 wrote:

The backpack or inventory trumps the fridge, so empty your inventory of use able cooking ingredients and only put in the one ingredient you want for your food.

Thank you , I always wondered how that worked.
  • Options
    melonchaimelonchai Posts: 150 Member
    edited March 2014
    Jadeleine wrote:
    I´m curious of what new recipes have you found and what did you do to unlock them. I know that you can make nectars but I am sure there is a way to unlock them other way too since not everyone has WA expansion and the Store does not state that you need this expansion pack.

Also my sim had like 20 cocoa in her inventory but don´t know how to make chocolate.

I'm glad other people have noticed this too. I guess Store items are only dependent on the base game... UNLESS the Store wants to make marketing claims that increase the value of the items. I know this set won't allow Sims to make nectar without World Adventures installed. Also, cocoa-infused food and drink isn't chocolate.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    edited March 2014
    If these harvestables are dependant on another upcoming store set for use, then really that should have been made crystal clear.
    As it stands I can't see a use for the cocoa beans if no chocolate can be made and the description pretty much states they are for chocolate. What on earths up with that?
  • Options
    Dragon123561Dragon123561 Posts: 2,262 Member
    edited March 2014
    The only thing we know is, two upcoming releases will work great with this set, meaning we can do something with these new harvest plants.
    OTBANNERhol_zpslahzogjc.png

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited March 2014
    Scrap

Sims can eat the cocco bean itself.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited March 2014
    I'm confused as to why people think the new set comes with new recipes? As far as I'm aware no guru ever said that.

What SimGuruCopeland said was that the harvestables will work well with future pc items.

Anything else is just our own imagination.

You CAN make different flavour pancakes, I think your sims use the stuff that's in the fridge. So if you have blueberries in the fridge, you get blueberry pancakes. At least, that's how I thought it worked.

And you can make nectar too. I did this earlier and have some pics to post later.

To be honest, I'm just excited we have berry harvestables! I like the idea of my sims randomly picking and eating berries.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited March 2014
    SimGuruCopeland has said he didn't say which items in the Bohemian Garden set would work well with two future sets. He also pointed out he didn't say when those future sets would be released.

• Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited March 2014
    I'm confused as to why people think the new set comes with new recipes? As far as I'm aware no guru ever said that.

It's in the description on the store page for the PC. It says, 'Unlock new recipes like Strawberry Nectar!' It also says 'even Cocoa Beans for Chocolate!' . In fact, nectar requires WA, which is not mentioned, and it is not possible to make chocolate.

description.png

I am fine with not having these things and still think the set looks wonderful, but it is a shame that a misleading description has left people who specifically wanted them disappointed. Whether it's intentionally misleading or just sloppy, the false expectations raised by the description have understandably made it difficult for some people to enjoy the fabulous work the designers have clearly done.

To be honest, I'm just excited we have berry harvestables! I like the idea of my sims randomly picking and eating berries.

Personally, I am excited to have berries in the game too, but I understand why some people feel let down, if the promise of brand new recipes and chocolate-making were really why they got the set. Still, as I pointed out in another thread, there are already other fruits, like pomegranates and plums, that I am very happy to have and that I use frequently even though they are not attached to any specific recipes. Like you say, they can be added to pancakes, used to make nectar (with WA), or eaten off the trees. Yum yum :-)
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited March 2014
    I have nothing relevant to add to this conversation, Jadeleine, I just wanted to say that your sim's curlers crack me up every time I see them. :D

Also, just to nit-pick, those "cocoa beans" look like garlic to me. Cocoa looks like this:

3.jpg

Not like this:

garlic.jpg

I mean, I figured they'd be brown, not white.... :P
  • Options
    BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited March 2014
    If there is not new gameplay, then it is not a PC item. You are essentially paying more for something that isn't worth that price and then it doesn't do what it says it will. You can't expect everyone to know what the item will do in the future. Not everyone follows the gurus on twitter or hang out in the forums. Personally, I could care less about the berries, I'm actually more excited about the buy/build things, but I do have a Sim who likes to cook and was hoping there were some new recipes to add. But another flavor of pancake just isn't it.

The text is misleading at best and a lie at worst. And now others can use the excuse that this PC item works with the WA EP as a reason to debunk a guru when they say things don't work well because they need to stick to basegame items. The only other item I know of that does that is the IAMS pet stuff and even that has a decor only option.

Edit: Spelling errors.
    14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited March 2014
    GreenCats wrote:

It's in the description on the store page for the PC. It says, 'Unlock new recipes like Strawberry Nectar!' It also says 'even Cocoa Beans for Chocolate!' . In fact, nectar requires WA, which is not mentioned, and it is not possible to make chocolate.

Aaaaah! Right, I see the issue now. I was thinking, 'well you CAN make strawberry nectar' but yes, it should say it require WA. I see that's confusing.

I didn't even think about the cocoa/chocolate wording. :?

Thanks for explaining it to me, because I didn't understand. I don't imagine the gurus intended to mislead us. Maybe they can fix the wording. :?

Halle, I thought they looked like garlic too! Ha ha!
  • Options
    melonchaimelonchai Posts: 150 Member
    edited March 2014
    Blythelyre wrote:
    If there is not new gameplay, then it is not a PC item.

Eh, that's debatable. The gumball machine, massage chair, and wind chimes don't really add new gameplay either, but rather a new way to get base game moodlets.

Blythelyre wrote:
    The text is misleading at best and a lie at worst.

Absolutely. The Store page references to strawberry nectar and chocolate (NOT cocoa-flavored food and drink) are DESIGNED to be misleading. Can the majority of players make strawberry nectar? Well, yes, but only if they have WA. Can ANY player make chocolate? No.

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited March 2014
    I'm not 100% sure about The definition of premium content but I thought it was something to do with it being an item that the Sim can do more than view it.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    edited March 2014
    Yes it's the cocoa thing that gets me. Chocolate is very definitely mentioned in that description, implying you can make it. Silly me. Turns out there is no chocolate to be made.
    It would have tied in nicely with the chocolate fountain if you could dip the strawberries for example.

My sim made some strawberry nectar this afternoon ... got the absolutely terrible pop up for it, but when they drank it, the nectar gave the astonishing moodlet and they loved it. It's great having new nectar recipes, but so much more could have been done here which didn't depend on buying a future store set.