Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Legacy Writing Tips! *Come on in! We have cookies!*

Comments

• Options
    lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,823 Member
    edited April 2014
    sneakysnoo wrote:
    Hi lovely simmers - the time has come

My generation two heir vote!! Please help me choose or I might cry! I love them all! If you're not up to date and don't want spoilers then the link below has a short un-spoilery bio for each kid to help you choose!

http://themonroelegacy.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/the-monroe-legacy-generation-2-heir.html

2vxnbjc.jpg

Chapter 20 is up too :)

Thanks in advance, XX

Caught up and voted. :mrgreen:
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    wickedjr89wickedjr89 Posts: 1,777 Member
    edited April 2014
    I voted after reading their little bios. Sorry i'm not caught up yet. I'm reading several sim stories right now and it's slow going but I will catch up! I'm reading about a chapter a day of all the stories i'm reading. So it's slow going but will get there! :)
  • Options
    sneakysnoosneakysnoo Posts: 468 Member
    edited April 2014
    Thanks lovesstorms :)

@wickdjr don't be sorry! I appreciate you taking the time to vote and read.... I'm so behind on most of the stories I'm reading, I just take my time and enjoy them when I get a moment!
    28t8n8.jpg
  • Options
    nerogafflingnerogaffling Posts: 296 Member
    edited April 2014
    sneakysnoo wrote:
    Thanks lovesstorms :)

@wickdjr don't be sorry! I appreciate you taking the time to vote and read.... I'm so behind on most of the stories I'm reading, I just take my time and enjoy them when I get a moment!

Oh, me too... I got this long list of stories I read, and that's not counting the books on my bookshelves... Yes shelves I have 4 good sized bookshelves... Loaded.

cropped-screenshot-6.jpg
  • Options
    sneakysnoosneakysnoo Posts: 468 Member
    edited April 2014
    @nerogaffling I know that feeling. I work in the book industriy (well what's left of it!) and by the time I've got done reading what I have to read for work I'm out of puff. My home reading is a slowly expanding heap of nooks that I keep swearing I'll get round to!
    28t8n8.jpg
  • Options
    Barbett22Barbett22 Posts: 20 New Member
    edited April 2014
    I have just started my legacy and am really only two chapters in but if you would look at it I would apreciate the feedback.

http://thepobanzlegacy.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    lotstar2703lotstar2703 Posts: 99 Member
    edited April 2014
    I also have way too much to read. Between books and sim stories I really am a lost cause. Sometimes I can just never find the time to read so a book can sit there for a couple of months without being picked up much or it can be like me this morning when I read an entire book in one sitting.
    A Legacy of Misfits - http://misfitsims.wordpress.com
  • Options
    nerogafflingnerogaffling Posts: 296 Member
    edited April 2014
    lotstar2703 I have a hard time making time for paperbacks, but on an off day (usually when I need to be up early in the morning) I'll pull an all-nighter and breeze through a book, or legacy... lovesstorms... sErin... sneakysnoo... evil people... ^_^

cropped-screenshot-6.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I got chapter 1.1 up of my legacy. :) I will pace myself.

I have quite a lot of legacies i'm reading, all from people here. I am loving them all so far. I put aside time everyday to read a bit from them. So at some point i'll eventually catch up. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    wickedjr89 wrote:

I have quite a lot of legacies i'm reading, all from people here. I am loving them all so far. I put aside time everyday to read a bit from them. So at some point i'll eventually catch up. :)

Great job! I just read it and commented! :)
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited April 2014
    I've done tons of reading and I update my legacies as often as I can because I want to get the story put there for others to enjoy.I've got GLEN HARBOR LEGACY updated though Flickr is glitching and it might be some glitchy pictures.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited April 2014
    I also have way too much to read. Between books and sim stories I really am a lost cause. Sometimes I can just never find the time to read so a book can sit there for a couple of months without being picked up much or it can be like me this morning when I read an entire book in one sitting.

I'm exactly the same way. We have book fairs to rent some space at my job two or three times a year. I always spend a chunk of money at them...and then the books just sit there. I always mean to read them but sometimes...well, a lot of the time - I don't have the time.

I've been getting into audiobooks. It's not quite the same but it always me some reading (listening?) during my commute to work.
    14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    wickedjr89 wrote:

Great job! I just read it and commented! :)

Thank you so much! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Blythelyre wrote:
    I've been getting into audiobooks. It's not quite the same but it always me some reading (listening?) during my commute to work.

I don't think I could use audiobooks. I'm horrible when it comes to listening for an extended period of time. I tune out too easily xD I'm very much a visual learner type, so I can rarely ever have something just told to me and have that be all. I can see the appeal in audiobooks, I just know they would never work for me :P
  • Options
    ReyaStarckReyaStarck Posts: 181 New Member
    edited April 2014
    Hey there, peeps! *waves to all* I just came across an old, old tip (we're talking back in 2010) for fixing something that's been bugging me for ages about my screenshots. Credit goes to 'Crocobaura' at MTS for the original suggestion, but here are my screenshots for it.

I've been trying to create a rundown area of town for some of my Sims to live in, but I've been consistently annoyed by the fact that you can't place lots exactly against each other; there's always that patch of land in between them that you can't do anything with (short of using CAW or - I guess - bulldozing everything in a copy of the lagfest that is the awesome Bridgeport world).

So here's the tip: with TestingCheatsEnabled, MoveObjects, and DisableSnappingToSlotsOnAlt all 'on', use the large rugs. I used two base game rugs: the large Chandelier Rug and the smaller Flying Carpet. Re-texture them with stone or whatever you fancy that will fit in with your theme, then place them on the very edges of the lots. They'll actually go over the edges of the lot (if you have all those TestingCheats enabled) and you can cover any glaring edges with shrubs and flowers.

Here are my 'wrong side of the tracks' test shots. Still a work-in-progress, but it's looking far more like I wanted it to!

betweenlots01a.jpg

In this next pic I could have moved the lot on the right further to the left, but I had the right-hand side of it nestled nicely into a junction corner and I didn't want to fiddle around with getting rugs aligned with the pavement there:

betweenlots02a.jpg

And this image shows where I've disguised the most obvious joins with old brambles and buckhorn plants:

betweenlots03a.jpg

I was so thrilled to find this workaround, and I hope it'll help others here to get their worlds looking exactly as they wanted :)
  • Options
    melodicspike21melodicspike21 Posts: 24,180 Member
    edited April 2014
    Wow, thank you for the tip!! That will definitely come in handy - I know a while back I made a lot and didn't want that patch of grass there, but didn't know how to get rid of it.
    Your lots look amazing, by the way!
    X4pxyAv.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    melodicspike21: I wish I could take credit for the tall building on the left, because it's so amazing. Alas, my building skills are far from that good and I'm still learning (mine is the building on the right). The tall one is the Bridge Lane Railway Chemical Depot by Cyclonesue at TSR. I've used a lot of her stuff in the creation of my Sims' home in this town (screenshots here and here), having downloaded practically everything she had available!
  • Options
    mightykitty2mightykitty2 Posts: 156 New Member
    edited April 2014
    So I decided to go ahead with a legacy but it's only a commentary legacy for now to get started and back into posting.

The Castaway Legacy
  • Options
    hellohannah2hellohannah2 Posts: 839 Member
    edited April 2014
    ReyaStarck wrote:
    Hey there, peeps! *waves to all* I just came across an old, old tip (we're talking back in 2010) for fixing something that's been bugging me for ages about my screenshots. Credit goes to 'Crocobaura' at MTS for the original suggestion, but here are my screenshots for it.

I've been trying to create a rundown area of town for some of my Sims to live in, but I've been consistently annoyed by the fact that you can't place lots exactly against each other; there's always that patch of land in between them that you can't do anything with (short of using CAW or - I guess - bulldozing everything in a copy of the lagfest that is the awesome Bridgeport world).

So here's the tip: with TestingCheatsEnabled, MoveObjects, and DisableSnappingToSlotsOnAlt all 'on', use the large rugs. I used two base game rugs: the large Chandelier Rug and the smaller Flying Carpet. Re-texture them with stone or whatever you fancy that will fit in with your theme, then place them on the very edges of the lots. They'll actually go over the edges of the lot (if you have all those TestingCheats enabled) and you can cover any glaring edges with shrubs and flowers.

Here are my 'wrong side of the tracks' test shots. Still a work-in-progress, but it's looking far more like I wanted it to!

betweenlots01a.jpg

In this next pic I could have moved the lot on the right further to the left, but I had the right-hand side of it nestled nicely into a junction corner and I didn't want to fiddle around with getting rugs aligned with the pavement there:

betweenlots02a.jpg

And this image shows where I've disguised the most obvious joins with old brambles and buckhorn plants:

betweenlots03a.jpg

I was so thrilled to find this workaround, and I hope it'll help others here to get their worlds looking exactly as they wanted :)

!! thank you so much for this - this has been bugging me since '09, you're a lifesaver. I never even thought to check how to fix it to be honest but now that i know i can make my lots so much better! agh - the lot is fabulous, by the way. I know you didn't make the one on the left but the whole thing is just really really cool.
    s54gWQ5.png
  • Options
    ninnersninners Posts: 221 Member
    edited April 2014
    I've been writing my legacy for a few weeks now, it's my first attempt in a couple of years at actually posting a legacy. I've got 4 chapters up right now, and have gotten no feedback on whether other people like it or not :( I've got a forum on here that I keep up to date on what chapters have been posted, it has 27 views, but no one but me has posted in it. I'm posting on wordpress, and have no likes/comments/reblogs at all there. And it's linked to my tumblr, where I've gotten no notes about it at all.
    Is there a way to get the word out there more? I feel like once you have readers, you get more of them, but I can't seem to get those first readers interested in it. Any suggestions?
    Also, would anyone be interested in critiquing it? If so, here's the link to my blog http://firehammerawesimsauce.wordpress.com/
    Thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ReyaStarck wrote:

betweenlots01a.jpg

betweenlots02a.jpg

betweenlots03a.jpg

This... is amazing. Thank you so much!! I know I'm going to need this one day, so thank you!! PS your lots and pictures look so wonderful!
    ninners wrote:
    Is there a way to get the word out there more? I feel like once you have readers, you get more of them, but I can't seem to get those first readers interested in it. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you're doing a good job of getting it out there already! Just give it time, readers will come. I'm sure everyone here will be willing to check it out, I've taken a quick look at it and it looks like a fun read so far! My laptop just isn't being very nice to me at the moment and isn't loading pages properly. >_<
  • Options
    ninnersninners Posts: 221 Member
    edited April 2014
    Thank you lotstar! I did some rearranging on the wordpress pages to make it easier to navigate.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ninners wrote:
    I've been writing my legacy for a few weeks now, it's my first attempt in a couple of years at actually posting a legacy. I've got 4 chapters up right now, and have gotten no feedback on whether other people like it or not :( I've got a forum on here that I keep up to date on what chapters have been posted, it has 27 views, but no one but me has posted in it. I'm posting on wordpress, and have no likes/comments/reblogs at all there. And it's linked to my tumblr, where I've gotten no notes about it at all.
    Also, would anyone be interested in critiquing it? If so, here's the link to my blog http://firehammerawesimsauce.wordpress.com/
    Thanks in advance!!

Just read and commented. Also, might I add, it helps to "advertise" your story. For me, it is putting a link to my blog via a banner. There are several places you can go to create one and add a link to the banner, so all someone has to do is click on the banner. I feel it's helped a lot of us. :)
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited April 2014
    ninners I've advertised my story by making a banner in Windows Paint and uploading to Flickr and using tinyurl to shorten the link address for my thread and I've got a text link in my signature to a thread where one post show how to make a banner a clickable link and even shows how to get two links in there.
    I've got a banner in my signature to my town legacy challenge and a text link for a helper thread.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    hellohannah2 and lotstar2703: You're welcome! I was so thrilled to have found the workaround, and to find that it actually looked good. No more pretty bright green grass on the wrong side of the tracks for me now.

ninners: I took a look at your legacy. Love the way you talk to your Sims; it's really unusual and amusing. I agree with others on here - a banner-link to your blog in your signature is the way to go. That way, every time you post, people see it and might be intrigued enough to click it.