The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Legacy Writing Tips! *Come on in! We have cookies!*

Comments

• Options
    RedSwiftie13RedSwiftie13 Posts: 478 New Member
    edited December 2013
    Homeworker wrote:
    I was wondering if anybody has any tips on banners?
    Mine are terrible as I don't really have any editing software

Before I got photoshop I would use GIMP which is free and very good for creating banners and such :)
    Thanks I'll try that :)
  • Options
    puppyluvvpuppyluvv Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited December 2013
    I've read it all and you guys have some pretty good advice :)
    One of the things I've learned to make plot lines interesting is to think of the worst thing that could happen to that character and go from there :mrgreen: (it also helps if you have a crazy imagination)

There's also a lot of pretty decent oblie photo editors that I used before I got photoshop and, well, I still use them now. :)
    ipiccy.com and picmonkey.com are both great for very basic editing and nice affects while Pixlr can be used pretty similarly to photoshop!
    generation-two-banner-trait.png?w=640
    Our Lives are Better Left to Chance - A Legacy
  • Options
    mightykitty2mightykitty2 Posts: 156 New Member
    edited December 2013
    HI! Some great tips here :)

I find I'm all over the board, since I recently got back into downloading CC I find that making folders inside my package folder is a big help. For example I'll have male and female clothes, poses, MODS, contacts, and skins. Also about having so many poses, well I download way to many, I get all these ideas and just keep clicking download. So I put the ones that will only be used for a limited time in a 'Delete' folder for I know to clean it out once I'm done using those poses.

For writing, I'm trying both ways. I have one legacy that is strictly PG-13 and the other is going to be more mature. My questions is what is your opinion on mature and too mature? I feel the one I am writing right now is a little overboard.

Thanks!

PS. Does anyone have any links to sitting poses? I am having a hard time find ones wih multiple sitting poses.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    HI! Some great tips here :)

I find I'm all over the board, since I recently got back into downloading CC I find that making folders inside my package folder is a big help. For example I'll have male and female clothes, poses, MODS, contacts, and skins. Also about having so many poses, well I download way to many, I get all these ideas and just keep clicking download. So I put the ones that will only be used for a limited time in a 'Delete' folder for I know to clean it out once I'm done using those poses.

For writing, I'm trying both ways. I have one legacy that is strictly PG-13 and the other is going to be more mature. My questions is what is your opinion on mature and too mature? I feel the one I am writing right now is a little overboard.

Thanks!

PS. Does anyone have any links to sitting poses? I am having a hard time find ones wih multiple sitting poses.
    As for mature and too mature? I think write the way you want to, but perhaps put a warning at the beginning of the chapter, warning that there'll be scenes not appropriate for all viewers. I'm not quite sure where the line is drawn, but I do know that I stopped reading one because there was no longer any character development or relationship development, just strictly, uh, woohoo scenes, even if they were vaguely written and not at all graphic. That's, I think, where the line is drawn.

EDIT: I'm on my phone now but I'll look for some poses when I'm at my computer, I have a few :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    @ puppyluvv: As for mature and too mature? I think write the way you want to, but perhaps put a warning at the beginning of the chapter, warning that there'll be scenes not appropriate for all viewers. I'm not quite sure where the line is drawn, but I do know that I stopped reading one because there was no longer any character development or relationship development, just strictly, uh, woohoo scenes, even if they were vaguely written and not at all graphic. That's, I think, where the line is drawn.

EDIT: I'm on my phone now but I'll look for some poses when I'm at my computer, I have a few

That's a good idea! There will be lots of drama and less of the woohoo scenes, it's mostly mature stuff but not as descriptive written as I feel the picture can speak for itself. LOL.

THANKS!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    @ puppyluvv: As for mature and too mature? I think write the way you want to, but perhaps put a warning at the beginning of the chapter, warning that there'll be scenes not appropriate for all viewers. I'm not quite sure where the line is drawn, but I do know that I stopped reading one because there was no longer any character development or relationship development, just strictly, uh, woohoo scenes, even if they were vaguely written and not at all graphic. That's, I think, where the line is drawn.

EDIT: I'm on my phone now but I'll look for some poses when I'm at my computer, I have a few

That's a good idea! There will be lots of drama and less of the woohoo scenes, it's mostly mature stuff but not as descriptive written as I feel the picture can speak for itself. LOL.

THANKS!

Good luck with writing :)
    I don't think you'll be allowed to post the very mature one on the forums though :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:
    I've read it all and you guys have some pretty good advice :)
    One of the things I've learned to make plot lines interesting is to think of the worst thing that could happen to that character and go from there :mrgreen: (it also helps if you have a crazy imagination)

There's also a lot of pretty decent oblie photo editors that I used before I got photoshop and, well, I still use them now. :)
    ipiccy.com and picmonkey.com are both great for very basic editing and nice affects while Pixlr can be used pretty similarly to photoshop!

Thank you :) I'll try those too :)

Below is the product of using GIMP, is it just me who feels fresh when they get a new signature? lol :mrgreen:
  • Options
    HomeworkerHomeworker Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited December 2013
    I love having a new sig and I don't think I've got very long to wait until I can update mine, just 13 posts I think :')

That sig is fabulous! :D
    sig-advert.jpg
  • Options
    zefiewingszefiewings Posts: 2,649 Member
    edited December 2013
    I don't use any CC though I have been a little tempted at times.

What I really want is a mod that shows a sims sexual preference. I know master controller does but I don't want such a big mod, just a small one that does just that.

I just want to make sure I am keeping my sims happy in their relationship. '^.^
    ff1pc0.jpg
    My Blog story with the challenge of my own design! Click and see!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I'm preparing an update for Tempest so I'll probably be hopping in and out of this thread while I wait for photoshop to open up etc so I can sharpen up the photos, anyone else like to touch up the pics a little?
    sig-advert.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Here are some sitting poses that I found!
    [1 2 3 4 <- That one's a couple one but a few of them can be used on their own, it looks like] I'll keep searching and let you know if I find anymore :)]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Homeworker wrote:
    I love having a new sig and I don't think I've got very long to wait until I can update mine, just 13 posts I think :')

That sig is fabulous! :D

Thank you and congrats on nearly finishing your next generation :)
    You won't believe how long it took though, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ]Thank you and congrats on nearly finishing your next generation :)
    You won't believe how long it took though, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist :mrgreen:

Thank you! I'm almost kind of looking forward to finishing Tempest, because I've got plans for a second legacy, that will kind of follow on from Tempest :')
    sig-advert.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:
    [1 2 3 4 <- That one's a couple one but a few of them can be used on their own, it looks like] I'll keep searching and let you know if I find anymore :)]

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! <3
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    puppyluvv wrote:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! <3
    YOU'RE VERY WELCOME :D
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I was just getting a couple of last minute photos and I was waiting for my sim to get to the beach so for a laugh I made her twin streak and shes now been arrested! *quickly writes it into chapter* XD
    sig-advert.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Homeworker wrote:
    I was just getting a couple of last minute photos and I was waiting for my sim to get to the beach so for a laugh I made her twin streak and shes now been arrested! *quickly writes it into chapter* XD

Haha got to love the fun random moments that you just have to add to the story! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Haha got to love the fun random moments that you just have to add to the story! :)

Well it was also because I'm tired and couldn't be bothered to wait for Sophia to get out of jail :lol:
    sig-advert.jpg
  • Options
    wrightrnwrightrn Posts: 284 Member
    edited December 2013
    I am soo glad that I came across this thread. It's such a coincidence that I saw this thread because I just decided today that I am going to write my first story. Thanks for all of the tips. I can't wait to put them to use :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    wrightrn wrote:
    I am soo glad that I came across this thread. It's such a coincidence that I saw this thread because I just decided today that I am going to write my first story. Thanks for all of the tips. I can't wait to put them to use :)
    Glad we could help and good luck on your story! When you post it, you should leave the link here so we can check it out (or at least so I can, haha. I can't really speak for anyone else).
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    What is everyone's thoughts on editing? Like when your reading someone's working and picking out all their mistakes? I know I can't edit at all, I just don't pick up my mistakes.

Because I want to see if someone else would look over my work for me but I don't know if I'm comfortable letting someone see it. Not calling anyone a thief or anything but I get all territorial over my word. LOL. As I'm sure others can relate, I'm just tired of rereading my work over multiple times and still finding mistakes weeks after it's posted.
  • Options
    serindeppityserindeppity Posts: 6,690 Member
    edited December 2013
    I don't have much to add but just wanted to pop in and say hey to everyone! :) ^_^
    g8b3.png
    Danevbie Legacy 8.24
  • Options
    smartcat_101smartcat_101 Posts: 253 Member
    edited December 2013
    Just found this post by sheer chance today. Thanks for the tips. There's some really interesting stuff here that I'll consider while doing my 50 foals challenge. Thanks for the help guys. Bookmarking for future reference. =)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    What is everyone's thoughts on editing? Like when your reading someone's working and picking out all their mistakes? I know I can't edit at all, I just don't pick up my mistakes.

Because I want to see if someone else would look over my work for me but I don't know if I'm comfortable letting someone see it. Not calling anyone a thief or anything but I get all territorial over my word. LOL. As I'm sure others can relate, I'm just tired of rereading my work over multiple times and still finding mistakes weeks after it's posted.

I was thinking about something similar, it would be good if people could read our posts and honestly tell us how to improve :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Very happy to see that this thread has helped a couple of people :D
    sig-advert.jpg