Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Good Lifespan?

Hey simmers!

So, my custom lifespan isn't too far off from normal, (101 sim days. ) But I'm finding it too short to skill up my sims, complete their LTW, and still have a family in that amount of time. Epic lifespan is way too long for me. So, what custom settings do you recommend and what is yours set at?

:)

Comments

• Options
    lanielynnelanielynne Posts: 169 New Member
    edited December 2013
    Probably not the best lifespan out there...because it's rather long and I sometimes get bored quickly or am impatient to see what the toddlers look like as children and so forth, but I've currently got my lifespan I think on long or epic...not sure which atm.

Infants at 60 days
    Toddlers at 60 days
    Children at 120
    Teens at 110
    Young Adults at 200
    Adults at 200
    and Elders at 110

Still kinda tweaking the older sims from child and up...but I have the infants and toddlers at 60 days so they see a full year before they age up since I have seasons set to 15 days a piece. :3
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited December 2013
    normal life span but set

babys 2 days

toddlers 7 days

child 8 days

teens 14 days

young adults 30 days

adults 42 days

elders 17 days

120 sim days.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited December 2013
    I based my custom lifespan on real human life stages, using 2 sim days to equal 1 human year. The average lifespan in the United States is 78 years, so my sims' lifespan is 156 days.

For the various life stages, I use:

baby - 2 days - to age 1 year
    toddler - 10 days - to age 6 years
    child - 14 days - to age 13 years
    teen - 12 days - to age 19 years
    young adult - 42 days - to age 40 years
    adult - 52 days - to age 66 years, the current age for full retirement benefits in the US
    elder - 24 days - to age 78 years

This gives my sims enough time to master several skills, and achieve the skill challenges for at least some of them, depending on the skills.

In my current household, my original female sim has mastered athletic, and met the first 2 skill challenges, will make the third before she retires, in 8 sim days. She's mastered piano, and made the master pianist challenge, but probably won't get any of the others, as she has done nothing toward them. She's at level 8 in charisma, and has met the first 3 challenges, and might make the everybody's best friend one once she retires. She's mastered logic and is working on the chess master challenge, and has finished the master chemist challenge, but has only discovered 2 celestial bodies, and has very little toward any of the others. She's mastered handiness and has the electrician challenge. She's had very few plumbing breaks, so it doesn't look like she's going to get that one, but she's started to do various upgrades, so might make that one. All this while working as an international super spy, and getting called in to work at so many unexpected times, and having a very late in life baby. She is managing to make time most days for her husband and child, in large part because her husband is a 5-star chef, and is home a lot more than she is, so he does more of the housework than she does, and their child-age daughter has chores too. She will retire soon, and then will try to pick up more of those challenges.

The husband has mastered more skills than she has, thanks to his much less demanding job. I find that this lifespan allows time to achieve goals, and still have time for family interactions, but it isn't too long for the game to remain interesting right up to my sims' death of old age. Just like in real life, I'm often hoping daily for just a little more time, once they get up to that last expected day and beyond.
  • Options
    tanya7768tanya7768 Posts: 118 Member
    edited December 2013
    I get bored easy, so here is mine:

infant-2 days

toddler-4 days

child- 10 days

teen- 14 days

Young Adult- 30 days

Adult- 25 days

Elder-15 days
  • Options
    VRStevensonVRStevenson Posts: 4,396 Member
    edited December 2013
    I used normal on 100 days.

babies-2
    toddler-5
    child-8
    teen-15
    YA-26
    Adult-32
    elder-12

Then I use the Relativity mod to slow down the day time hours to about %70 the normal speed so the day doesn't pass so quickly.

I usually have enough time to get everything done that I want to with these settings and I am a lazy player. :P
  • Options
    ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited December 2013
    You could also "cheat", by making the lifespan longer than you think you'd need; and aging them up prematurely if you get bored. Conversely, keep the lifespan you have, and use Life Fruit or Ambrosia to turn back time.
  • Options
    wrightrnwrightrn Posts: 284 Member
    edited December 2013
    I recently started a new family and set the lifespan to epic.

Babies 4 days
    Toddlers 18 days
    Children 52
    Teens 72
    Young Adults 251
    Adults 185
    Elder 120

I set the ages so high because I wanted to see how many skills my Sims could master, play with a large family and achieve as many lifetime goals as possible. I've been playing them for over a week and haven't gotten bored yet. I'm sure I'll do some tweaking as the game goes on; but so far, so good.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited December 2013
    I will set the young adult and older to where they live for a very long time, but with everyone else I will set them at;

baby 2 days
    toddler 6 days
    child 14 days
    teen 31 days
  • Options
    xkaylanicolexxkaylanicolex Posts: 3,760 Member
    edited December 2013
    My lifespan is at

Babies- 1 day
    Toddlers- 4 days
    Children- 10 days
    Teens- 15 days
    Young Adults- 20
    Adults- 20
    Elders- 15

My sims lives are fairly short.
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited December 2013
    I play with regular-ish lifespans.

Baby- 2 days, and I usually age them up after the first day anyway.

Toddler - 7 days. First you work on walking, talking and potty training. If you have time max out peg box and xylophone. You can also read them books. I generally try to have them age up on a friday so they'll have a free weekend as a child before they have to go to school.

Child - 14 days. Take an after-school activity. Either Scouting or Ballet, doesn't really matter. Going to school sucks fun, doing homework sucks fun. Doing your homework at school doesn't suck any extra fun, so I hardly ever do homework at home. When your kids aren't doing homework, have them Meet new Friends or Talk to Friends at school. When your kids are at home, have them call 2 or 3 friends and talk to them on the phone. This is when I usually pick out who will be the future spouse, and try to build up a good friendship while they are still children. You can invite them over on the weekends to work on the relationship intensively. Again, age up to teenager on a friday. Invite the "special friend" over for the birthday party and use a cheat to age them up too. Then your base relationship should already be high enough to get a romantic relationship with them right away.

Teen - 14 days. One of the first things you should do is learn the charisma skill. After you get the first point, it naturally increases at a pretty good rate just by talking to other sims. Learn a couple of points of cooking. If you maxed out peg-box and xylophone your logic will be at least 3, and all musical instruments should be at 3 too. I usually do an after-school activity, but not a part-time job. Follow the same homework strategy as in grade school. This is when you can start going steady with your main squeeze, or play the field, as your fancy dictates. By now you should have a good idea what your sim is going to do when they grow up so they can start working on any necessary skills. After school, call up and talk to 3 or 4 sims on the phone to build relationships. Once again age up on a friday, along with using the cheats to age up your prospective spouse. You should be at least going steady, or be engaged to your main squeeze by the end of the birthday party. Otherwise story progression might see them hooked up with somebody else in just a day or two.

YA - 28 days. Pre-University I would have them get a job and start on Monday. Then they get married sometime in the first week, and have children after about 2 weeks. Now they should have enough skills to get max credits in 2 or 3 different majors so I send them to University for a single 2 week term to get a degree. If they don't already have a future spouse lined up, I'll pick one of the University students and work on them. They'll get married after they get back from University. Young Adults have kids, work on careers, and raise needed skills.

Adults - 28 days. Should be almost at the top of their career by now with all necessary skills maxed out. Their offspring will be nearing teenage years. I'm usually bored with them by now and leave them to their own devices to concentrate on the children. By the end of the Adult span, their kids will be having their own children.

Elder - 12 days. Retire, help take care of the grandchildren. Even with lifespan set to 105 total, I very rarely have anybody die before 110 days, and they frequently hit 120 days or even more. If I get too many sims in the household, I move out the grandparents to a "retirement home".

One thing that really helps for learning misc skills is the multi-tab from the store. Using that you can listen and learn several skills while you're doing other things.

http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:50554&categoryId=13177
  • Options
    FredcatFredcat Posts: 52 Member
    edited December 2013
    bklienhart wrote:
    One thing that really helps for learning misc skills is the multi-tab from the store. Using that you can listen and learn several skills while you're doing other things.

http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:50554&categoryId=13177

Thanks for this tip, I've been away a few years and wasn't aware of this device. Just bought one.

As for the OP's question can you still age with a birthday cake? I always used ambrosia and cakes to control my sims age.
  • Options
    sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited December 2013
    Fredcat wrote:
    As for the OP's question can you still age with a birthday cake? I always used ambrosia and cakes to control my sims age.

Yes, you can :)
  • Options
    SundaymoonSundaymoon Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited December 2013
    I have mine at

Baby - 1 day, but I cheat them up when they are born.

Toddler- 5 days so I have time to learn everything. The walker and playpen from Aurora Skies make it so much easier!

Child and teen are set to around 14 days(?)

Young adult, adult and elder around 30 days.

:D
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited December 2013
    Fredcat wrote:
    bklienhart wrote:

Thanks for this tip, I've been away a few years and wasn't aware of this device. Just bought one.

Yes, but only for sims in your household. If you want to age up one of the neighbor kids, you need to use a cheat. And if you have more than one sim having a birthday at the same party it gets really messy with more than one cake.
  • Options
    MissCeeMissCee Posts: 1,309 Member
    edited December 2013
    Couple of weeks ago I saw a thread where the OP stated she based sim lifespan on the equation of how long pregnancy took in RL. Made sense to me.

I play my legacies on short life span of 31 days. 10 Generations can get tedious otherwise.

The original OP gets all credit. My idea is based on hers. If I find the post I'll edit and link it. As I remember her total lifespan was longer then the below though, maybe around 400 days.

You could tweak this according to your preference as to age cut off points. For some perhaps Elder may begin at age 60 rather than retirement age of 65, etc.

Right now this is what I'm using for Epic play in my sandbox:

3 Simdays = 9mos RL pregnancy. Therefore 1 Simday roughly equals 3mos in RL. So, 4 Simdays = 12mos or 1yr RL.
      Baby: Birth to 9mos=3 Simdays
      Toddler: 10mos to 4yrs=16 Simdays
      Child: 5yrs to 12yrs=28 Simdays
      Teen: 13yrs to 19yrs=24 Simdays
      YA: 20yrs to 30yrs=40 Simdays
      Adult: 31yrs to 64yrs=132 Simdays
      Elder: 65yrs to 85yrs=80 Simdays

Total is 323 Simsdays to roughly equal RL from infant to age 85 :) .

<3Blessings,
    MissCee
  • Options
    GRemedyGRemedy Posts: 61
    edited December 2013
    huh, I have to try that! I need to stop disabling aging, bad habit, it gets a little boring lol
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited December 2013
    MissCee wrote:
    Couple of weeks ago I saw a thread where the OP stated she based sim lifespan on the equation of how long pregnancy took in RL. Made sense to me.

I play my legacies on short life span of 31 days. 10 Generations can get tedious otherwise.

The original OP gets all credit. My idea is based on hers. If I find the post I'll edit and link it. As I remember her total lifespan was longer then the below though, maybe around 400 days.

You could tweak this according to your preference as to age cut off points. For some perhaps Elder may begin at age 60 rather than retirement age of 65, etc.

Right now this is what I'm using for Epic play in my sandbox:

3 Simdays = 9mos RL pregnancy. Therefore 1 Simday roughly equals 3mos in RL. So, 4 Simdays = 12mos or 1yr RL.
      Baby: Birth to 9mos=3 Simdays
      Toddler: 10mos to 4yrs=16 Simdays
      Child: 5yrs to 12yrs=28 Simdays
      Teen: 13yrs to 19yrs=24 Simdays
      YA: 20yrs to 30yrs=40 Simdays
      Adult: 31yrs to 64yrs=132 Simdays
      Elder: 65yrs to 85yrs=80 Simdays

Total is 323 Simsdays to roughly equal RL from infant to age 85 :) .

I might use that to adjust my life span, except the elders. I usually make their life span shorter cause mine always outlive the sim days.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    AiyoAiyo Posts: 85 New Member
    edited December 2013
    I choose my life rates based on which times of life I like to play best, and in which areas I felt like I was feeling rushed or not able to enjoy the content I wanted to. Also a little on realism, but only a little; you'll notice both teen and child represent 7 years, but teen is longer, and also that while elder represents a higher amount of years than young adult, that young adult is longer.

I don't feel too rushed with this (a little bit is good, it is a game after all), and I don't have so much time that my sims can do everything in the game; after all I want them to excell in their strengths not fill out/explore everything available and leave nothing for me to do with the next generation. I only want them to play out their story, not every story. I have never failed a life-time wish yet ^_^ ... except on that one guy who died early cause he crushed himself with a vending machine while trying to get a free soda at University. O_O but that doesn't count!

Mine are:
    baby (0-2 years old) - 3 days (a lot of ppl shorten this one... but I just love babies)
    toddler (2-5 years old) - 7 days
    child (5-12 years old) - 11 days
    teen (12-19 years old) - 15 days
    young adult (19 - 30 years old) - 21 days
    adult ( 30 - 60 years old) - 45 days
    elder (60 - 80+ years old) - 17 days

equals 119 days
  • Options
    lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited December 2013
    Mine vary. Some games are
    baby 2 days
    toddler 10 days
    child 20 days
    teen 30 days
    ya 80 days
    adult 80 days
    elder 28 days
    so the parents can master complicated careers even with the amount of maternity leave it takes to raise a large family, and so the children and teens have enough time in school to get on the honour roll, join after school activities, learn to drive, and find romance at the prom.

Others are a more realistic
    baby 2 days - up to 1 year
    toddler 8 days - 1 to 5 years
    child 16 days - 5 to 13 years
    teen 14 days - 13 to 20 years
    ya 40 days - 20 to 40 years
    adult 40 days - 40 to 60 years
    elder 30 days - 60 to 75 years

which I use more for historical games, with easier, self employed or no careers, where academic performance is not important.

It's much harder for teens to do well in school with a shorter lifespan, with a maximum of 10 school days, losing 2 to seasonal holidays, if they're teens during winter and get several snow days, they'll still be stupid as anything when they graduate.