Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What if there were an Open Source Sims game?

I had an imagine earlier about an open source Sims game.
For those of you who don't know, Open Source means that the code used in the game is not encrypted or protected, meaning anyone in the community can make their own edits and fixes to the code. This basically means that groups of people can work together to add new features, and bug fixes come quickly and easily.
I think it would be interesting if there were a Sims game like this. Imagine all the features that could potentially be added.
q6goV2s.png
Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!

Comments

• Options
    glitterandguitarsglitterandguitars Posts: 259 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Yes, that is a good idea. However, there is also a downside to that. There are always idiots who would create rude things which would rise the rating of the game from Teen Rating.

Also, some people could take advantage of Sims being so popular, and put a virus into the code, and only really clever people would know, and then everyone would have their computers hacked, and it would suck.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I just don't see how it would work.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    FosoSamFosoSam Posts: 637 Member
    edited August 2013
    Yes, that is a good idea. However, there is also a downside to that. There are always idiots who would create rude things which would rise the rating of the game from Teen Rating.

Also, some people could take advantage of Sims being so popular, and put a virus into the code, and only really clever people would know, and then everyone would have their computers hacked, and it would suck.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I just don't see how it would work.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    To elaborate for you further. There would be 'official' installments of the game with bugfree code, with addable modules for features (adult or not) made by community members.
    If a module or edit contained a virus, it would be reported and taken down from wherever it is stored.
    q6goV2s.png
    Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!
  • Options
    glitterandguitarsglitterandguitars Posts: 259 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Does sound cool, but I still don't think it would happen.
  • Options
    Flo_Jo52Flo_Jo52 Posts: 45
    edited August 2013
    That's actually a really good idea but I do agree that there would be trolls trying to corrupt the game for everyone else. Remember how many bugs there are on the exchange and how hard that is to moderate. It would be near impossible! I do think though if it could be made to work it'd be amazing!
    Flo Jo xx
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited August 2013
    I could see one way for this to work. Let those who know how to fix, or what ever, but before it is released out to the public it would have to be first checked by the official people who put this game out. They could first check to make sure that every thing stays in check as far as rating, viruses, and other trolls don't make it through to corrupt the game for everyone. Maybe those who would know how to work on it would have to first be cleared to make sure they are working on the best interest of the quality of this game.