Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you complete a legacy???

I've tried and tried to get through a legacy. I've barely made it to the third generation in a family before though. I can't seem to keep myself interested in one family for that long. So please help me and give me some tips on how to complete a legacy successfully. How do you keep your game fun and interesting? thanks! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited February 2013
    When you play your legacy what do you do?

Do you play precisely to pinstar rules?

Do you keep the same family in the same house ongoing?

Do you always make sure they have pretty much similar traits?

• Options
    crissylinecrissyline Posts: 123 New Member
    edited February 2013
    I try my best to follow the rules with the legacy and stay with the same family, etc. and I randomize traits, so I don't think that's the issue.
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited February 2013
    I just find that although Pinstar had a fantastic idea , the actual pinstar legacy per se is bound to be boring after the third generation.

You have to do what makes you happy, for me i never use cheats (bar moveobjects of course, or resetsim) but everything else is up for grabs.

I move my main sim out of the house to a new one, I move them to different worlds. I get them differnt careers each generation, i mix up the traits.

It does take a long time to play through a legacy, mine is gen 5 and I started in November.

But you have to ask yourself, is there actually anything wrong with playing a family to gen 3 then starting over with a new family? Use Legacy as guide, dont let it make your game boring.
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited February 2013
    try creating a family that has a household of vampires and fairies, a mixture of both or add a witch too, it should become interesting and may add a werewolf thrown in the mix! :)
  • Options
    dreambluangeldreambluangel Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited February 2013
    I mix it up a lot....current one is an Abc legacy only on gen 3 and they are still babies! I don't let myself get frustrated by it. Motherlode and make all happy can be my friend at times :) they marry townies, sims I've created, IFs or those created by my talented friends here! Sometimes I move out the heir or keep them and any siblings or family members I like! I try out different careers and skills, outfits and hairstyles. I take breaks and redecorate houses, or create things for people. A lot of times when I go back to the legacy I feel refreshed .. not so bored and a storyline unfolds ... I wish you luck!
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,179 Member
    edited February 2013
    I have never got past generation 3 in any save as i get completely bored with the family . Nor has my wife

Unlike TS2 where we can swap between the 25 families we have in the town just playing one family in a neighbourhood soon loses its appeal .

Some of our Ts2 families are currently on their 20th generation but i just cannot get the same interest playing only one family in a neighbourhood .Plus i cannot seem to get as attached to them and often delete them

Maybe why both my wife and myself consider our Sims 2 families to be the real sims and the Sims 3 families to be the playdough plasticine copy families .
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited February 2013
    1. Maybe the vanilla legacy challenge isn't for you. Have you tried one of the various variants on the basic premise of the legacy challenge? IE: Start with a founder, family lasts for X number of generations, no cheats, etc.

2. Is each generation basically the same? Does founder/heir meet person of their dreams and live happily ever after? If so, change it up.

3. Think about what made each family boring. Or why you restarted. If you can find a common theme between them, then you can begin to figure out ways to avoid the family becoming boring.
  • Options
    kitandraekitandrae Posts: 1,081 New Member
    edited February 2013
    All my legacies have like mental soap/dramma stories to them to keep me going:

my current family:

The starter was a witch who has five children her eldest has just moved out and is now trying to be come a magician, but she wants him to marry and become a doctor and every time he dates a girl she finds is below him she curses them.

The heir is the only girl born and the mother was an evil alchemist, but the daughter has the good trait and is family oreitned

As the heir she wants to fit in and live a "normal" life.

Also 75% of my game play takes place outside my legacy family:

-manipulating townies romances and fiances
    -Controling other family house holds of my legacy: the elder son, his girlfriends, aunts and uncles
    -building new lots: apartments/night clubs
    - taking sims to CAS to fix they ugly faces...O.o