Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Converting Real Places into Sims

I have been recreating my home town on Create-a-World.
I have a few questions.

Firstly, does it matter that I've placed down lots and roads before sculpting?
I don't mind deleting the lots, because I only use them to measure how long streets are and such. (I just assume that 1 Metre is 1 Square)
Secondly, I remember a while ago I could press something to split roads and sidewalks at connecting squares, what did I press?
Thirdly, How might I create the split avenue style main street, and how would I put train tracks in the town, too.
Fourth, All the streets in my town have the road, with curb, then a 'nature strip' then a sidewalk. How might I put in the driveways over these nature strips? I am going to use an invisible sidewalk texture on the road, and add the other sidewalks a little bit away from the road to create the nature strip effect.
Finally, how do I use distant terrain? I don't want the town surrounded by water, because it's completely flat farmlands all around.

Thank you.
q6goV2s.png
Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited November 2012
    FosoSam wrote:
    I have been recreating my home town on Create-a-World.
    I have a few questions.

Firstly, does it matter that I've placed down lots and roads before sculpting?
    I don't mind deleting the lots, because I only use them to measure how long streets are and such. (I just assume that 1 Metre is 1 Square)

It doesn't matter until you start sculpting. You will have a lot of little rips around the lots and will have to redo them...I would delete the lots (if you have them built then save them to the library in EIG) and then sculpt.
    Secondly, I remember a while ago I could press something to split roads and sidewalks at connecting squares, what did I press?
    I don't think I've ever seen that or I don't understand what you mean. . . Sidewalks have a little tool on the Roads Tool.
    Thirdly, How might I create the split avenue style main street,
    Split Avenue? I don't know what you mean.
    and how would I put train tracks in the town, too.
    You can use the Super CAW to do that- I don't know if it's updated for the 1.42 game update. http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Modding_the_Create-a-World_Tool_to_Unlock_Hidden_Features
    Or this way- http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=453818
    Fourth, All the streets in my town have the road, with curb, then a 'nature strip' then a sidewalk. How might I put in the driveways over these nature strips?
    I am going to use an invisible sidewalk texture on the road, and add the other sidewalks a little bit away from the road to create the nature strip effect.

You could use Terrain paint along the road as a sidewalk. :)
    Finally, how do I use distant terrain? I don't want the town surrounded by water, because it's completely flat farmlands all around.

It's the same as any object but bigger- you have to pull your view out to see the movement tabs- or use the Property Browser numbers.

Thank you.

You're welcome- if I helped. :)