Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where do you get your Motivation from?

To any regular players, or content creators such as World creators, Sim creators and builders.

I often start making something (such as renovations for my simmies' houses, or a new house, or even a World) and just sorta fizzle out after about half an hour. This happens either because the image in my head doesn't match up to the monstrocity I've created, or I have a better idea, or I just get sick of playing.

I even do this with families, I have like 30+ save files of all different people.

I love Sims, I just forgot how to keep playing.

Any advice?
q6goV2s.png
Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!

Comments

• Options
    sammymcgoffsammymcgoff Posts: 1,358 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I have just started to play with townies, as I am testing out whether or not they have good genetics. Simply seeing this testing come to fruition when they age up to Young Adults gives me the motivation to stick with the one family.

I have only played with a couple of male townies in Appaloosa Plains so far (that's the town which comes with Pets if you don't know) and one was a bit hit and miss in my opinion and the other has good genetics so far, but I'm not sure if it will stay that way as the 5 kids are only babies and toddlers.
  • Options
    AnonymousMissAnonymousMiss Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited November 2012
    Legacies keep me going. I play to see the next generation, and love to watch how the genes morph over time.
  • Options
    ShrillShrill Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited November 2012
    I have a couple of building projects on the go (I've just started building) and one legacy - when I get bored on building I jump onto my legacy and vice versa, I can play Sims all day doing that!
  • Options
    sims3elbsims3elb Posts: 925 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I'm playing in Riverview for the first time. That keeps me going.

Also, writing stories inspires me. And picture threads. I made one a few minutes ago, actually.
  • Options
    SIMplifiedSIMplified Posts: 4,536 Member
    edited November 2012
    My motivation? When I really freakin bored my mind wanders everywhere and I get random ideas.
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited November 2012
    I keep a lot of things random so that I can't play the same game over and over again. I only play in a town for a generation or two then move on to the next one.
  • Options
    MrsUEAKCrashMrsUEAKCrash Posts: 23
    edited November 2012
    I found out recently that what motivated me was

1. Not to use cheats. It's far too easy to overdecorate your house, spend too much time dressing up your lawn, and simplfying every "buy an item worth this amount" wish. Once the game challenges you to earn your money you appreciate your things more and are more conservative when it comes to purchases.

2. Being self-employed. I feel like work can be such a rabbit-hole you waste you sims life.

3. Play single sims or smaller groups. I used to play where I maxed out the 8 sim limit slot and I'd get exhausted trying to keep up on everyone.
  • Options
    FallenblackrosesFallenblackroses Posts: 10
    edited November 2012
    Playing as a Legacy is what motivates me, but sometimes even that isn't enough.

I tell you what does make me REALLY excited to play though- I watch Lets Plays on Youtube of different people playing Sims and narrating their Sims lives. Maybe you should watch some of them, to give you ideas on what to do next?
  • Options
    prelynmaxprelynmax Posts: 683 Member
    edited November 2012
    I get my general motivation from my unending god complex.
    Building from blue plans drawn from my head.
    I have seen the tides of Simming shift from it's glory days to... whatever The Sims 4 is.
  • Options
    cappucinokitten2cappucinokitten2 Posts: 199 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I get motivated by writing stories a lot of the time. The newest game I just started playing has Sims that are all based off characters from a book I've been trying to write since high school, so now I alternate between writing the book in which they are teenagers and playing with their Simselves who are Young Adults. Not only does this motivate me to write and play more, but I feel like it will give me some sort of sense of closure for once the book is all done and written because I don't even know what will happen to my characters after that.
    Other things motivate me are picture sharing threads, which make me want to create the best and most beautiful Sims I can possibly create, and watching Let's Play Videos on Youtubes.
    It also really helps when I don't use cheats because I feel like the game starts to get boring once the Sims are rich and I don't have to worry about their bills or anything anymore.
  • Options
    Kat241989Kat241989 Posts: 395 Member
    edited November 2012
    I started looking at the badges I hadn't got yet and wrote some down so I could complete them in game. Gives my Sims something to do when their bored.
  • Options
    VRStevensonVRStevenson Posts: 4,396 Member
    edited November 2012
    Sharing my game with others in a discussion thread gives me a lot of motivation because you see others games and it tends to make me form little stories with the intention to share instead of just watching the game mechanics take place.
  • Options
    2Fast2Furious2Fast2Furious Posts: 2,879 Member
    edited November 2012
    I agree with VRStevenson
    sharing my game on this site
    in the thread gives me ALOT OF MOTIVATION
    knowing people can't wait to see what happens next
    which turns into a little life story game play
    also seeing what others do could give you ideas

thats really the only thing that helps me stay motivated :mrgreen:
  • Options
    extremeasaurextremeasaur Posts: 2,701 Member
    edited November 2012
    some times i make a game of it and set up options and role the dice. Whatever the dice say is the next move I make - it can be really fun
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I agree with VRStevenson

^.^ its so true! my sims were never so alive until other ppl cared about them!! haha
    btw Quincy is like my fave evarrrrrr;)
  • Options
    2Fast2Furious2Fast2Furious Posts: 2,879 Member
    edited November 2012
    I agree with VRStevenson

^.^ its so true! my sims were never so alive until other ppl cared about them!! haha
    btw Quincy is like my fave evarrrrrr;)

RIGHT?!
    who knew that would be the motivation :wink:
    n'aww thank you!
    I havent seen an update on your ffamily in foreber though!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    go check;)